Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper Stalling Problems

2»

Comments

• ace09ace09 Posts: 2
    We are having the same problem on our 1990 Isuzu Trooper. Just wondering if you ever found out what the problem was...

We were told that it might be a bad ground. We just purchased a new alternator and have changed our fuel filter, changed fuel pump in July.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
  • I havent solved the problem yet (i have a new O2 sensor to try but havent had time to put it on) but i think it is the O2 sensor Mass, Airflow sensor, or another sensor that would effect the air fuel mixture. The other thing that you might want to get checked out is the fuel pump. Hope this helps.
  • ck3rdck3rd Posts: 1
    I to have a 1989 isuzu trooper, starts run for about ten minutes then dies and wont restart its got spark, put a new fuel filter on it, switched the fuel pump relay for a good one that worked, my guess is the fuel pump itself? How ever befor I had this problem, every now & then all of the gage lights would come on and flash on & off it would seem to miss a bit and idle low but if i put the climate control on bylevel & turn the blower fan on it would stop go figure weird right???? On that may guess is a vacum
    line must be crossed somewhere in the dash??? Does anyone have the same problem, or have any suggestions, or know how to fix it? Over all its a good running trooper new motor, tuneup, fuelfilter, ran good untill two days ago???
  • dedspyderdedspyder Posts: 1
    i have a 1995 isuzu pickup (200k miles) with similar problems. ran fine for a while, recently not starting. has anyone checked for flooding? a friend said that if the exhaust manifold is near the intake, then heat may be causing some extra gas to get in cylinders and cause a flooding-condition.. so maybe that's one thing to check.. adding a piece of sheet metal in there (to cool it down) may help..

also researching 1) bypassing the fuel pump relay and 2) putting a heat sink (sheet of metal) on the ignition relay.

both of these are affected by heat i think and cooling them down might help engine start/run better :)

i'll try to re-post if i have any success.. but please feel free to look into these topics and let everyone know what ya find :D
    good luck isuzus!
  • Starts and runs smooth for 1 min then idles rough, misses and then dies.
    Just replaced oxygen sensor, had head and gasket replaced after overheating, fan clutch replaced, new radiator.
    I have no clue what else to do, please help!
  • stormtrooper1stormtrooper1 Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    HI, all is not lost!! 1st find your 1995 Isuzu Rodeo Service Repair Workshop Manual online. You can Google it. Google this " 1995 Isuzu Rodeo Service Repair Workshop Manual.PDF " minus the quotes. The Service repair manual is AWESOME! If someone is selling it buy it, do not get cheap, the CORRECT manual is a load of information for your vehicle that will show you step by step what to do to correct the issue. DO NOT USE CHILTONS or Hines, they suck! You will be able to read, and diagnose your vehicle, take the time and STUDY it! 2nd REPLACE the PCV valve. 3rd DISCONNECT THE BATTERY to reset the Engine Computer, disconnect it for at least 30 minutes or overnight. When you re start the car after disconnecting the battery the Engine computer will have to "re-learn" how to mix the fuel etc... so let the car warm up for 5 minutes then drive it cautiously for at least 2 days so the engine computer "re-learns" properly. 4th the HO2s does not function when the car is started, the car engine computer starts in a "closed Loop" meaning it will run exactly as you have stated, once the car WARMS up the "HEATED" oxygen sensor will or should kick in and tell the engine computer how to mix the fuel for the engine to continue running, There could be a short in the wire between the HO2s and the relays to the the engine computer, when you study the service manual A LIGHT will come on in your head, then troubleshoot it, something is happening between the closed loop startup and the "open loop" operation. Open loop meaning when the HO2s starts sending data to the engine computer. The service manual will walk you through this step by step. It is possible you have the wrong HO2s, or it does not work, or is defective. Even though you just replaced it, replace it with a new one, MATCH it to your VIN number at the auto parts store, yes it is a pain for them to type in all the numbers but make them so you get the correct HO2s. Last but not least Get an OBD 1 scan tool and study the codes it gives you, the engine computer stores problem codes even though you can not see them until you hook up a scan tool. Make the scan tool your last attempt as it is expensive. GOOD LUCK!
  • I have a 2000 Trooper S. I was wonder if anyone could help me with my issue. The problem that I am having is when I am driving around and come closer to a stop sign/stop light and come to a complete stop, I feel like my Trooper wants to staul on me. So want I do is quickly put it in neutral, give it some gas so it wont staul on me. I am worried that I wont be able to start it again. My Trooper has been in the dealership 4 times in a 2 week period to fix the starter, egr valve, and to see if anything else could be fixed. Trooper has 116,000 miles on it. Granted that my Trooper is used for only winters, but I would like to make sure that the cars I own run at there best.
  • my 2000 trooper has the same problem i drove it to work with no problems.but the ride home it cut out really bad. i stopped at advanced and when i left it ran fine. does your truck make a grinding noise at around 35 to 45 mph? my rpms drop really low and it makes a terrible noise. any ideas?
  • I would be curious to know if the wiring harness was truly the issue. Although solid wiring would benefit the overall performance I would think that this fix would be temporary at best. Stalling issues are famous for the 99-02 Troopers, and are directly attributed to the Intake manifold gasket assembly.

Seeing how Isuzu as a company ran into serious financial troubles post 911 and discontinued the Trooper in 2002 (SLX in 99') it's no surprise that anyone would be given the run around when searching for genuine Isuzu parts from Isuzu. Oh well..
  • cecaceca Posts: 1
    Hi there guys,

My isuzu trooper '93 difficult to start from cold. Cranking takes a while than normal. After it starts tachometer (very slowly) goes up to idling speed, then suddenly slowly increase up to 1500 revs. Speed should drop to idling after a while when the engine has warmed up but this is not happening. Also the engine engine stalled a couple of times while maneuvering in the parking lot.

Appreciate any feedback from you folks

Cheers
    Ceca
  • i just got the trooper and it was running great till one day i had been driving around for a couple hours and then when i went to back into my drive way i put it in reverse and hit the gas and it died so i restarted it and it idled and i hit the gas again and it died. it did that a couple more time then it started starting but as soon as it started it would die without being able to idle. so i thought it was the fuel pump so the next day i went out to start it and it wouldnt start at all so i sprayed starter fluid in the intake and it started up but then died so i thought for sure it was the fuel pump so the following day i went and sprayed more starting fluid and it started and i hit the gas and it ran rough for a minute then smoothed out and kept running so i took it for a drive and it drove great then went back home and parked it. turned it off then tried restarting it and it wouldnt start again so i changed the fuel filter and it still wont stay running. its still doing what it started doing before either run for a few seconds then die or not fire up at all. im lost and have no idea what the problem is. does anyone else know????
  • weftweft Posts: 1
    Hi Marshall. I have an Isuzu pickup that does exactly the same. Its as though theres enough fuel in the system to start up the engine, but its not drawing fuel through from the tank once its going. I have to park mine facing down hill with over half a tank of diesel in to be sure it will start! Emergency procedure is, open bonnet, prime fuel filter (press or squeeze until its full), back in cab start engine ( i need to keep the key turned all the way round until its actually running), heres the fun bit - jump out round to fuel primmer again and pump more deisel through to keep it running for a minute or two, then everythings fine.
    I have a new new filter on but that didnt make any difference, Its as though maybe a one way valve is malfunctioning, the weight of the fuel being drawn forward by gravity is enought to get it statrted. Hope this helps.
  • Might want to check out the throttle body.
2»