Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• altoonaltoon Member Posts: 64
    bonyparte - I picked up my silver EX last weekend and installed the moon roof visor along with the roof rack and front mud guards. I did the installation myself and it was not difficult. (I'm not extremely gifted in mechanical matters.)
    I paid $60 for the moon roof visor from the dealer, but you may be able to get it a little cheaper from Handa Accessories. I don't think you really need the visor, but it does look good and reduces turbulence in the car when going fast with the moon roof open. On the down side, it covers a substantial amount of the opening. Can't help you with the cladding, except to say that the dealership had a black LX with the cladding on in the showroom and it looked nice.

mam9 - I also really like my new CR-V, but agree that the seats leave a little to be desired. I had a two hour drive home from the dealership and my lower back was a little stiff when I got home. I hope it is a matter of finding the right seat position. It would have been nice if they would have given it about an inch more leg room. You are also right about the tight turning radius. U-turns are a snap. That may not be a good thing.
  • ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    Hi to all. Went to a honda dealer in N.Y. gave me a price of 21,795 for an EX then he said out the door price is 24,211 how did he get to this price when 21,795 plus tax= 23,593.08 he did not mention anything about advertising fees.going to call him.Is anyone getting a better price in the NY area for an EX. thank you
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    I don't know what the laws in other states are, but trampling dune vegetation in Texas is definitely an environmental no-no, complete with fines from Parks and Wildlife if they catch you. Besides, from the looks of the spiny vegetation I see on Galveston Island, they must be a real PITA to untangle from the wheelwells or other parts of the undercarriage.

And isellhondas is right about rinsing. The day after an excursion like that, get out the garden hose and "flush" the underbody. All that ground clearance helps a lot. :)

Otherwise, play on, CR-V owners!
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Isell - I live in the land of road salt, so, yes, I'm familiar with the need to clean up.

Slugline - Thai actually had a bit of cactus protruding from his wheel well after our trot through the first location. Must've been downed by the construction vehicles because we stayed on the paths there.
  • ppuippui Member Posts: 3
    Zops, have you go to your dealer ask about it already?I have the same clicking noise, its getting louder these day.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    My son's Civic makes the same noise after going from park to reverse to drive. It is a clicking noise and has been doing that for 10 months now, and considering other Honda products make the same noise, it must just be a "Honda" thing. I probably wouldn't worry about it, but it is reassuring to hear that it wasn't just our Honda.
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    Here in Southern California these are hot!Dealers
    are marking them up $1000 plus adding on high
    profit stuff.I wanted a red EX but was looking
    at full msrp and an unknown delivery date.I contacted through the web a dealer near my work
    and he said he did not have any and did not
    know when he was going to get any.The next day
    he calls and say "I have a mojave mist".So the next day I show up and it is sold!but I just got
    red one from the auto show.I got it with some extras for MSRP which is no bargain but I'm happy!
    Here in Southern California these are hot!Dealers
    are marking them up $1000 plus adding on high
    profit stuff.I wanted a red EX but was looking
    at full msrp and an unknown delivery date.I contacted through the web a dealer near my work
    and he said he did not have any and did not
    know when he was going to get any.The next day
    he calls and say "I have a mojave mist".So the next day I show up and it is sold,but I just got
    red one from the auto show.I got it with some extras for MSRP which is no bargain but I'm happy!
  • richk4richk4 Member Posts: 19
    To bonyparte, I had the body cladding installed on my 02 silver EX at the dealer where I purchased it. Paid list price for parts $429, and $132 labor. Could have saved about $232. buying from handa-parts, but did not want to attempt to install myself. Quality is excellent and fits very well.Ties together the black front and rear bumpers nicely.
  • eludwigeludwig Member Posts: 82
    Is it possible to change the new CR-V's oil without lifting it up on jacks or ramps? How easy is it to reach and unscrew the oil filter? Where is the filter located? Thanks!
  • inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    The filter is on the right side, from the top of the engine compartment look down its about an arms length down partially hidden. Its on pretty tight but with the right filter wrench it will turn. You can get to the oil plug from below you maybe able to get to the filter from below also I have not tried it. A slight incline will help but no, you don't need jacks. Use a crush washer and torque the plug to specs. otherwise it may leak. Try moving the filter first, if you can't let the dealer do the first one for you. Remember there is a breakin in oil that should not be changed for at least 4000 or 5000 miles {check on the milage]
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    What color? Very interested in MPG expericence.
    Automatic?
    INKY
    Eludwig - Sorry, but I've forgotten if yours is an '02 or the earlier model. If it's the 1st gen, then read these instructions.
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    I think jheil's original post said automatic. I've only had mine for two days so I don't know what I can add, but ask away (not about MPG obviously ;-) ).
  • zopszops Member Posts: 49
    The nosie I here is not a clicking noise but at
    noticeable 'clang' noise coming from the tranny and occurs just about when it changes first gear.
    Noise is not the clicking coming from the steering column in the car just before you stop (which I believe is now attributed to the reverse solenoid).
    Although not sure, it appears to happen after the car is turned off and then restarted and driven.
    If I have driven for 1 mile, come to a stop then shift to park, then reverse, then drive, I do not here the clang. But turn the car off and go reverse then drive and proceed about 20 feet there is the clang.
    Comments from those who here the same.
    This is a continuation to message 5799
  • tonyhwongtonyhwong Member Posts: 2
    Per my Honda dealer, clicking noise from the back of the car is how the brake is supposed to work on 2002 CRV. Another clicking sound from the dashboard when car almost comes to a stop is from the reverse shiftlock solenoid. It is working as designed or normal characteristic. However we did not hear it for the first 1 month of driving. I am going to write to Honda America via fax 310-783-3023. I found the noise annoying.
    This is not a clicking noise but a clang and not coming from the back form from the middle and just about at the time it gears form 1 to 2.
    It seems to do it only after the car has been shut off then driven.
    Once driving the noise disappears. Even when you come to a stop and accelerate or shift to park and then drive on, you do not here the clang near the gear transition.
  • hpc1hpc1 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know about the Katzkin leather upholstery that you can get in the CR-V? What have been the prices quoted from dealerships or the leather upholstery shops? Would appreciate any information. Thanks.
    Zops - Does the vehicle feel sluggish? I doubt that this could be the problem, but check the e-brake. I once had a Ford that would lock the e-brake when I put the thing in gear. The brake didn't lock, it just gripped enough to slow the car and would "clunk" into position when the car first started in drive. Once again, it isn't likely, but might be worth having it checked out.
    Hpc1 - Does your CR-V have side airbags? If so, make sure that the leather seat covers are compatible with the occupant position sensors for the airbag.
    Varmint,

How can I tell the leather upholstery will be compatible with the occupant position sensors for the airbags? I am considering getting the EX and the side airbags come standard.
    Contact the vendor. See if they've done any testing with the airbags. Honda does offer leather seats in Canada, so it is possible to use leather. We just don't know how aftermarket products will work.

If you're not picky, you may be able to get a dealership in Canada to order you a set of the Honda OEM leather seats. They could ship them to you, for a local shop to install. It won't be cheap, and the OEM leather isn't anything fancy, but at least we know it works.
    I had leather installed through Classic Soft Trim. They said they had done extensive testing and were willing to guarantee compatibility with OEM equipment - including seat sensors. I tested the sensors and they do work with the leather. You can test them by leaning toward the door on the passenger side while someone else is driving. If the sensors are working, a yellow light will appear on the dashboard indicating the side airbags have been cut off. Unfortunately, you can't do this test to insure compatiblity till after the leather has been installed. So ask a lot of questions before hand.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    I have not driven one yet, we had a 00 is the seat comfortable for 5 10 170 lb folks?
    I would like to drive a 5 speed, I am hoping that the new engine will be in the Accord for 03.
    INKY
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    leather seats- got a quote from classic soft trim in the Denver area for $1300, plus $100 if I wanted 2-tone and $200 for heated seat with hi/lo/off switch. Getting mine done next week, hope all turns out okay. Live in the springs and a lot of local shops use katzkin leather, and haven't seen anything wrong with the ones I've seen in person, but have heard many good things about Classic soft trim, so decided the extra drive would be worth it. Prices about the same as what the local shops charge for the katzkin install.
    The main difference between the two that I've noticed is that Classic seems more of a softer leather than Katzkin. There's a thread in the aftermarket board which should help you.

MPG- LX auto- after using two full fill ups, my average mpg is running @ 24.07. (557 miles on 23.14 gallons.) My routes consist of 50hwy/50city driving. So overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the mpg, but I do wish the tank was at least 4 gallons larger, I don't even get to 300 miles on my trip meter and the light comes on. Going on a trip to San Diego in April. Approximating the whole trip will use about 2400 miles. So compared to our accord with about 400 miles between fill ups, that'll add 2 gas stops to our entire trip, not too much to complain about really, just nitpicking.
    Maybe your vendor can provide references. People who have had the leather products installed and may be willing to let you verify that the airbags work. I doubt there are many CR-V's that have undergone a seat change, but Honda uses the same type of sensors in other Honda/Acura cars.
  • crviccrvic Member Posts: 37
    I have experienced this for the 3 months that I have owned the CR-V. It normally/usually happens when applying the brake for the first time upon starting.

I posted this concern about 1200 messages ago...

Still haven't taken the 'V to the mechanic. Guess it's not hurting anything.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Is it the brakes that are making this noise, or the tranny? I've been told that the noise is the self-adjusting brakes performing the self-adjusting when applied for the first time after the car is started.
    I typically here it in the morning after backing up out of the driveway.
    My foot is on the brake lightly going back then i completely stop. I shift into drive and proceed maybe 20 or 25 feet and then here thunk/clang from somewhere in the middle. I do not here it again until I turn my car off and resatrt for the next trip. I then drop my son off at day care.
    Car is off for 10 minutes until i return and start it up. I put it into drive and then after about 20 feet, Clank again.
    I'm worried because the clank appears to coincide with the the tranny going into 2nd gear.
    As for the brake adjustment you mention, don't you apply the brake after staring to go into reverse and then reapply a second time to stop before shifting into drive. This noise would then be after secong application of brake not first for you.
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    It's awfully hard to diagnose a noise problem over the internet. It is your vehicle and you know it best, go with what you feel. By what you are describing I would suspect your suspicion about the transmission may be correct. It's new, it's under warranty, that's why the dealer is there.

Keep us posted as to what happens.
    The clang does not occur while I'm braking but while accelerating. It occurs after I've applied the brake, shifted into drive and proceeded 20-25 feet.
  • ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    Hi need some help with the true invoice the dealer in NY was willing to sell me a CRV for 21975.then at the out the door price jump to 24211.I called him and ask about the diff. He said that the price is 21975 + 440 for Dest.Charge then taxes and 195 for DMV. Please help i thought the Dest.charge was included with the price.
    From what you're describing, it does sound like a tranny problem.
    You need to ask the dealer himself what he is including in the original msrp price that he knocked money off of. some dealers say the msrp is without the destination charge (then they add it back in once you come to an agreement about the price), some automatically include it in from the beginning of the negotiation. check on the honda web site, www.hondacars.com what the original msrp price is for your model--it shows it without the destination charge being added in. build your model with your accessories, etc. then you'll see the price break down.
  • bajie2bajie2 Member Posts: 18
    I posted the similar clang noise scenario in past but was dismissed as a typical Honda tranny probelm. :(
    Now everytime i try to accerlate after stop, i will be extremely cautious not to step hard.
    This is not supposed to be normal i guess.
    Thanks for the oil-changing info. I don't have a CR-V but I'm slowly shopping around. I like to do my own maintenance, thus the question.

I found out my employer's benefits allow me to get a Ford (Escape) slightly under invoice or a Daimler-Chrysler (Jeep Liberty) at 1% under invoice. Makes things interesting, even for a Honda loyalist like me.

I have lots of time to contemplate my purchase, which is good ; )
  • bluebulletguybluebulletguy Member Posts: 1
    I've owned Hondas since the days of the CVCC gumball and am interested in getting a CRV, but don't need the goodies and $ associated with the EX... but I do want the sunroof :-) Does anyone know if putting one in the base 2WD LX is practical? I recognize this wouldn't be a factory option / product.
  • bonypartebonyparte Member Posts: 30
    For the 2002 CR-V EX Auto, the TMV is the same as the MSRP and is actually higher with certain colors, like silver. I've checked other 2002 cars, Honda Accord/Civic and other manufacturers, and the TMV is always less than MSRP. Is the TMV not being calcuated correctly for the CR-V or is it so popular that the dealer can get full price? I actually got a quote from a dealer in my area for $1100 off MSRP but am curious if they will try to stick other charges when I go in.
    Thanks.
    I think $1,100 off MSRP is a great deal. I've heard of folks here in Seattle paying MSRP or just over MSRP for '02 CR-V's.
  • carseeker4carseeker4 Member Posts: 228
    GOTTA get used to this new keyboard!! Sorry for the blank post! Talked to 2 Honda dealers and its a 6 to 12 week wait. Don't know if I want to put up with that! I like the new V, but as someone mentioned earlier, there's STIFF competition out there and its increasing. And I hope for the sake of those with CRVs on order that they don't suddenly get a British one dropped on them when they were expecting one from here or Japan. Not that the Brits would necessarily produce a lower quality V, but I just don't know if I'd trust them coming off a new line for the first time. Then I hear about the solenoid, brake and transmission noises and this does not sound like a typical Honda as far as build quality. I'm looking more closely at the Outback or the Saturn VUE. At least with the OB, I get a proven package, and with the VUE I won't get snobby sales and service!
    Couldn't you have just deleted the empty post, or edited it? Anyway, that's not important. I was going to say I agree with you about the solenoid, tranny and other mysterious ailments. Kinda makes me wonder if I should wait until the '03 CR-V, but our current '97 V is overdue for a change. I looked at the VUE. Found the material cheap and the front end styling weird, bordering on ugly. The Outback has always been a consideration. It appears well-built but the 4 cylinder is underpowered. The car is pricey even with the 4. The 6 is waaaaaaay pricey. Can't quite come to grips with a Subaru in that price range. The Forester is cramped, and even the '03 looks like a wagon. The Outback is also a wagon but at least it's not an awkward-looking wagon.
    I love gadgets and the CRV is to cars what a swiss
    army knife is to knives.From the beginning I wanted a red one but no one had any or they loaded them with options then charged up to $2000
    over list.70 miles from me was a green EX auto
    that stickered at $23335 and I was considering it.
    Then a dealer 2 miles from my job contacted me
    about a red one that was at the auto show.So I got
    it at $27740 (msrp) but it had extras and no markup.It's being prepped and I hope to take it home in a few days.I know it was no bargain but
    you have to look at the competition.The closest
    thing is the Santa Fe LX V6 but it's weak
    acceleration turned me off.I rented an Escape for a day and did not like the seats,ride,and quality.
  • angelica2angelica2 Member Posts: 30
    yuclin, thanks for asking about the clicking noise. Yes, it's still there and annoying as ever..I will never get used to it, I told my husband it's making me crazy (he thinks I'm crazy for focusing on it so much). I stopped asking the service people about it because they don't have any answers. Tonyhwong mentioned that he will be sending a letter to American Honda Corp via fax and I will be doing the same thing. Has anyone ever written to them and actually received a response. I've called them regarding the problem and the guy answering the phone refers me right back to the dealer (give me a break). I've learned through this experience that no matter how reliable a car company is you have no recourse with a problem (unless of course your problem falls under the lemon law, which I don't think the clicking noise will). The car manufactures will not give you the time of day after the purchaser is complete. I didn't go into this purchase blindly, I did a lot of homework; however, the one piece of advise I should of taken is "don't buy a car during the first model year, wait until the initial bugs are worked out." Oh well, live and learn I guess. If Honda doesn't fix this problem I will probably end up selling it.

seguy: I'm trying to borrow a digital camera (don't have one). As soon as I get my hands on one I will post a picture of the seats. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    bonyparte: The problem with Edmunds TMV for the 2002 CR-V is that it has to start with Edmunds guessing at these prices as the new model is introduced. They looked at the demand for this vehicle and projected that it would sell for MSRP. Only after a LONG time can they possibly get enough actual sales data to make any changes. Remember that even though you're now seeing posts here from people buying below MSRP, there were unfortunately a significant number of recent buyers that were paying *above* MSRP too; guess what that does to the sales data averages? As a consumer in the meantime, there is no need to wait for enough data to push down the TMV -- just go out and try for the best deal you can get.

By the way, I can tell that you didn't check the TMVs for all Honda vehicles, or you surely would have mentioned something about the Odyssey and S2000. :)
    Wow, Angelica, you do feel strongly about this clicking noise problem! Is it that loud? I thought others have posted that it's not noticeable unless you have the radio off and really listen for it. And it's not there all the time, right? Only for a few seconds when you're slowing down and accelerating from a stop?
    I am thinking of getting the roof rack for $249 from the parts dept. and installing it myself.
    Has anybody done this?They charge $175 at the dealer so it must not be a 15 minute job.
    If you fax them a letter, Honda customer service likely will give you some sort of response. Last fall I faxed them an inquiry related to routine maintenance for my 2000 EX, and a rep responded with a message on my answering machine and a followup letter. Of course, with corporations being the way they are, the answer you get may not necessarily be what you want to hear. :)
    I don't think it's a 15-minute job either -- it looks like a five-minute job!!! If you have Acrobat Reader on your computer, take a look at this:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crv/02CRVRACK.pdf

As far as this accessory is concerned, the 2002 owners have it easy! Only five steps on a two-page install sheet that's half blank . . . and unlike the 1997-2001 version, no hacksaw is necessary. I definitely do not think that is $175 worth of labor. If you are even mildly mechanically-inclined, I recommend doing this yourself.

Meanwhile, I just checked my favorite trio of online Honda parts dealers, and it looks like the going price for these crossbars from each of them is around $180 + shipping.
    I installed my roof rack last weekend and it was really easy. You just pop off the plastic tabs in the existing rails and screw on the cross bars. You will need a 9mm hex wrench which you can pick up pretty cheap at any hardware store if you don't have one. Really - this is pretty easy.

You can also get the rack for a lot less than $249 at Handa Accessories (www.handaaccessories.com) My dealer came close to matching Handa when I showed them a print out of their prices so I bought it from them.
  • rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    The roof rack is a simple install. However, I had difficulty installing the flange bolts, I was afraid of stripping threads because they didn't go in easily. I used a tap on the threads on the roof because they contained body color paint, then the bolts went in very easily.
    rockycow