Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    I'd be a little concerned about the fact that the salesman put the whole serial number of the demo. Legally, haven't you now contracted for that specific vehicle? They may have to put in a number to process the order, but from my experience, they only need to fill in the first 6 or so letters/numbers on the form, and then fill in the rest when the order is confirmed and the whole number is available. You should get something in writing to verify that you are not getting the demo.
  • scnamescname Posts: 296
    That's my concern also. But salesman insist its normal and deposit is refundable. I'm betting they will not cheat a customer for $200.

The timing of delivery is also a concern. Will they get new car in next week? or next month ?
  • varmitvarmit Posts: 1,125
    A member at the CR-V IX (who had to return his '02) has confirmed what Scname wrote above. Honda has a replacement part of the seat belts and is shipping them out now.

Here's a note from TOV
    Well I guess the worst that can happen is you walk away from the deal and lose $200. I still would've felt better if he didn't write in the entire serial number.
  • Has anyone negotiated buying their CR-V from American Honda Lease for less than the residual price? My price would be $13,988 for a 99 EX with automatic, and the blue books say the dealer value is about $12 K. You would think they would "make a deal" with a present lessor to get it off their hands. Any ideas?
  • The first Honda dealer I went to was really bad. I purchased my 96 Accord LX new there so I gave them a chance first. Test drove the 2002 CR-V EX with a young internet sales director (20 yrs old or so) and he lost the dealer plate on the highway. I helped him locate it and even got out on the highway to get it for him. Back at the dealership he would not budge on MSRP and gave me my deposit back. I left and contacted another local dealer. Older sales guy who also did not budge on MSRP but was able to provide a good discount on the dealer installed accesories I wanted. I purchased from them because the buying experience was much better and they actually gave a damn about making a sale. If you do not like the dealer either walk out or ask for another sales person. You'll be glad you did. I put money down on the CR-V EX eternal blue pearl/black cloth interior, security system, Chrome Exhaust Finisher, Hard Spare Tire Cover, Leather Steering Wheel Cover and Tweeter Kit. They said it shipped on Nov. 11 from Japan and will be here in three weeks to a month but no exact date. They also mentioned 5.9% interest for 60 months. They also mentione the recall on the seat belts and could not even test drive at that time. They said parts would be in when my CR-V arrives.
  • For those who are somewhat concerned re the stopping distances of the new CRV there is a new test out in which the CRV beats everything in the test except the MB ml500. the other vehicles tested were the Jeep Liberty,Saturn Vue ,Suzuki xl7,Envoy,Explorer,Xterra,Audi Allroad and Cadillac Escalade.
    From the look of the picture and price, they tested an LX version although in Canada I believe(unconfirmed so far) that the LX version comes with ABS.

Here is the link.http://www.bcaa.com/automo/automo_buying_ccotyw4.html
    Interesting. Has anyone else ever noticed that Honda products tend to do reasonably well (mid pack or better) in 60-0 tests, but not so good from 70-0? I've noticed this with the current CR-V and several other products. It looks like the '02 may be following that trend.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    regarding Honda brakes, are warped rotors. Every Honda car that I've owned—and I've owned a bunch dating back to 1976—has at some point had a problem with warped brake rotors. Every one! Has this gotten any better with new models?

Bob
  • Help! I have an automatic 2001 SE with 3000 miles on it. I tried to place the transmission in a lower gear (2 or 1); but it was stuck and will not budge.
    The dealer says it is probably just a switch or cable. Anybody experience something like this?
    Thanks,scottmg
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Bob: IMO Honda ought to switch to twin-piston calipers to better dissipate heat when braking. Heat build-up may also explain the longer stopping distances from high speeds.

Any how, a good rule after a hard stop it to let off the brakes (as long as it's safe), because your pads cool at a different rate than the rotors. Also make sure your wheel lug nuts are properly torqued. Either can cause warped rotors.

For anyone in the DC area, Ourisman Honda is advertising 0% financing. It's just that dealer, not a Honda offer. Though they've had markups in the past. Still may be worth a phone call.

-juice
    We've also had a bunch of Hondas over the last 25 years, the only one that had a problem with warped rotors was an '89 Accord Coupe. Of our current cars, the CL-S is too new to tell, but the '97 CR-V, going on 5 years, has been remarkably trouble-free.
  • scnamescname Posts: 296
    I posted a few , chianti red with body cladding at Yahoo . You have to join the club to see it. Its free . Anyone wants to post the photo here is welcome.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/hondacrv

I think the cladding helps the car not look so tallish.

• Not a single person complains about the lousy warranty.( equal to GM/Chrylser/Ford(except Focus)). Instead I read all the whining about this line and that line, too busy for me or some other nonsense. It's like you thought Honda was designing the car for YOU. Just little old you. Get over it and complain about something important like that stinky warranty.
    ......I went to a local Honda dealer twice today. The first time I rode up on my bike and the second time in my car. I was treated better than I had EVER been treated at a Honda dealer before. I was offered a test drive, but declined. Instead I sat in the back seat while another customer drove.That person invited me. I thought that was nice.
    I have become much less subjective and much more objective when I look at a car. It is no longer about everything to please "me". Now I expect a car to be designed with broad appeal in mind. Let's face it, there are about 270 million people in the country. No car can be all things to all people.
    Bottom line...I loved the 02 CRV. ( and by no stretch of the imagination am I a "Honda Lover with inhouse shrine". I could talk for an hour about things I don't like about Honda and Hondas, but I think this CRV ROCKS. I loved it. For me at least, there isn't another Honda that I thought very much of ( including the Acura Legend I owned years ago). I rode in this car with two other people. I was impressed with every single thing about this vehicle. Of course it could have more power, more this more that. But I never felt it NEEDED anything more. Everywhere I looked, I was impressed (again, too much to list).
    IMHO, this is a "home run" in my books, from a company that needs to get with the program and give a warranty equal to what other Japanese Auto Cos. give.
    ....Love the looks,ride,features and at a fair price.

P.S. There was an 01 near the 02. Of course you can tell where the o2 came from, and yet they are worlds apart. Night and Day.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    Honda is missing the boat. The last generation CR-V did so well because other car-based SUVs were not up to par.

But the game board has changed - competitors are offering more powerful V-6's, better design elements and more excitement to the game.
  • hi folks---i am surprised at a lot of the negative things i have been reading on the boards. the reaction of the people that i have shown the new crv to has been very positive... they like the bolder new styling, the increased horsepower and torque, the handling of the car, and of course the increased cargo space. i personally like the car. is it perfect.....no. but i feel it is a fun car to drive and is an exciting redesign for the honda lineup. when i went to the ride and drive in philly, they mentioned they had talked to crv owners about what they liked and disliked about the old model. i think you should email your comments and thoughts to honda. they will listen because they value their customers' insights. thanks for reading and thanks for caring so passionately about honda products...i feel we in sales should be grateful to have such loyal, passionate followers.
    vmaturo - I had 25,000 miles on my '99 before I considered it broken in. It's got 50K on it now and and the only things I've replaced is fluids, filters, and a set of wiper blades. Why would I want to pay for a warranty?

Diploid - Yep, the competition is pretty lousy. That V-6 Xterra looks like a sissy car. So does the V-6 Grand Vitara. The Forester has altogether too much torque and, lets face it, it handles much too well. Those RAV4s never break when they're supposed to and why on earth can't they use more gas?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,171
    Actually, if you really want to see some negative comments, try this board :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    varmit - LOL.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with complaining and whining about the new CR-V.

Just as someone said, the car is not for everyone. If every post read "Just got my brand new CR-V! Love it! Absolutely nothing wrong with it!" - I wouldn't see a purpose in this forum.
    I think that the problem is that we all know the positive traits of the new CR-V and they're the same as positive traits for the old CR-V. It's got a good amount of space, predictable reliability, good mpg, good safety... So the positive stuff is not news. On the other hand, whining and complaining never goes out of style. =)

And now for something completely different. Here's something I've mentioned in the past, but never had a picture for until now. I've often mentioned using the bed feature in the EX to haul long pipes or planks. Here's some 10ft sections of trim and molding for the new kitchen. It was raining that day, so using the roof rack was not an option.

• sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    Sure, we can complain that 3yrs/36Kmi looks paltry next to the competition. But I don't think it's been a significant issue to the owners. Quite frankly, the relaibility track record of the CR-V has been that good. That's why current owners like me must settle for nitpicking about superficial things like body lines.

As long as Honda isn't hurting for sales, don't expect to see the warranty change. They can keep a better warranty up their sleeve until they need to generate more dealership traffic (see Hyundai). Meanwhile, the extended warranties can continue to be a fat profit stream for the dealers -- I don't think they're itching to give that up anytime soon.
    That's a good point. We often forget that Honda makes a profit selling cars to dealerships not us. They have to keep the dealers happy. Adding to the length of the warranty means that the service dept makes less profit on the work they do. Hondas are generally reliable vehicles. Servicing them is not the most lucrative part of the business already.
  • inkyinky Posts: 370
    Stopped and looked at 02 and wanted to see what all the hoopla was about the cloth colors and patterns. I looked in the LX and thought-yuck. The 01 cloth was very nice. sorta like the now retired Integra pattern. UPscale and tasteful.
    Yes the LX in beige is way off the mark in my opinion. the EX was much easier to look at without all those colors.
    PS thanks to mysterious person who told Mark Roberts that I referred them!
    INKY
    INKY
  • artdechoartdecho Posts: 337
    here's another review of the 2002 CR-V....almost all positive:

http://autonet.ca/DriverSource/Stories.cfm?StoryID=3728

on a humorous note: maybe Honda could issue a recall for "that 70's show" beige upholstery and replace it with something a little more tasteful!

• I'm really up in the air on this one. I have driven manual shift cars for quite some time, but I'm considering an automatic for the first time. I test-drove the Toyota Highlander, which of course is ONLY automatic. Also, an automatic is a much easier re-sale.

Went to the Honda dealer this weekend to test drive the CR-V, but they were totally sold out. Bummer!

Anybody have thoughts about the relative merits of the two transmissions? Though I'm a little hesitant to buy a 4-cylinder with auto, the reviews I've seen suggest it's fine. Another issue is that there's no armrest with the stick! Any problems with adding an after-market armrest? I use the console armrest in my Accord all the time, and it'll seem weird to not have one.

- Bill
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,464
    I consider myself pretty much an Anti SUV person. The 2002 CRV seems like a wonderful vehicle. If I was forced to drive a Mini-SUV, the 2002 CRV would be my vehicle of choice. I'd take a 4WD EX model with a 5 speed. I'm glad HONDA is not offering a V6. I would like to see more power though. But I haven't driven the car yet so all I can do is spec ulate. I'm not sure I like all the plastic body cladding. Congratulations to all 02 CRV owners! You've made a great purchase!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• alex17alex17 Posts: 35
    No Problem. I hope you got a referral bonus.

I'm getting a Chianti Red EX Auto.

Do you have any idea how much aftermarket leather would run on the CR-V?
  • It is difficult to get more than 170HP out of a non-turbo I-4.
    You start to run into all kinds of noise and vibration issues.

A smaller V-6 (say 2.6 to 2.8 litre)with about 180hp would probably be ideal for the CRV.

A better 4x4 system silmilar to the Subaru's would also go a long ways to making the CRV a little more useful.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    I have a strange brake problem with my 99 CRV with 49000 miles. When applying the brake for the first time going forward or reverse, I'll hear a loud click in the front end. Continuing in the same direction and applying the brake again, there is no click sound, things are good. Reversing direction and then applying the brake the first time in that direction and I'll hear the click. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Is there a Honda message board that has mechanics that monitor it?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,464
    Honda has a 2.7 Liter 170 Horsepower V6 laying around in its parts pin from the old acura legend & 95-97 Accord V6. Its only 10 more Horsepower, but it would be smoother. I'm sure that'd be good. I'm sure the Subaru AWD system is better for cornering.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation