Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    mihai1mihai1 Member Posts: 10
    I am trying to buy a new CRV (LX 2WD) and so far the quote I got was $17,495. I am trying to push my luck and go even a bit lower 'cause I know the dealers have that holdback cushion. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    pcalinskipcalinski Member Posts: 1
    Please forgive the intrusion, I have never visited this board before but I am in a tight spot. My daughter's 1997 or 1998 CRV is in need of new brake pads. I always do this type of replacement myself in my garage. Unfortunately my daughter lives 400 miles away. We had planned a trip there next week so I would like to change the brake pads while I am there.

My question is, what, if any special tools might be needed? I don't want to take my entire shop. I plan to take:
    A set of 3/8" drive metric sockets with all the typical extensions etc.
    A set of metric combination wrenches.
    A large C clamp.
    A large screwdriver.
    Piece of rope to support the caliper.

Anything else I need??

If you could email me an answer at pcalinski@iname.com in addition to posting, it would be a big help. I don't know if I can find this board again.

Thanks in advance.

Pete Calinski
  • Options
    lovemycrvlovemycrv Member Posts: 5
    Good morning everyone. I just purchased a '98 CR-V EX with 34,600 miles and absolutely love it. I've been reading the past posts and have learned many valuable things about my new toy. I have a question for you all: how difficult is it to install the cargo net (i'm not mechanically inclined at all)? Thanks.
  • Options
    2112jeff2112jeff Member Posts: 2
    Greetings from outside of Boston,

I posted #816 with very little response :(.

I purchased (actually leased) a new 2001 CR-V EX 5-speed last weekend. Armed with knowledge from the Edmunds site I was targeting $19,400 as the 'fair price' as espoused by the True Market Value (TMV). During negotiations, the salesperson said that the invoice was $19,400, which I knew was too high for the vehicle. After back-and-forth dickering, explaining that I'm a return Honda customer, my '98 Passport LX coming off lease is in excellent condition and well-below mileage allowance, we settled on $298/month including local taxes (5%). I also had him waive the security deposit and first month's lease.

I paid for additional options (arm rest, cassette player, retractable cargo cover and Lojack alarm system) out of pocket leaving the montly lease payment alone - I realize there are pros and cons to doing this. There was no room for haggling on the options. Needless to say, Honda is still making money on the deal and accepted the final terms without much hesitation. THEY GET YOU NO MATTER WHAT!

As for the options, salespersons at the dealership (Honda Village, Newton, MA) don't even deal with these and leave these for the finance people. They simply move the vehicles and leave the options to others. This is different than I remember and I'm not sure if this is dealer-specific, Honda-specific, or an industry trend.

Any thoughts/comments on the above?

Overall, my wife and I were reasonably happy.
    Delivery will be in mid-April. I guess - and I'm always guessing - if I could have gotten an even better deal?

Cheers.
  • Options
    beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    Sorry I don't have the info on hand but if you post this question over at the CR-V info exchange you will get the right answer pretty soon. http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/6308

Everyone should check out the April issue at http://www.hondasuv.com/

Some good reports this month. Mud, snow and sand.

• Options
    sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    just remember to take the items which are yours out when your lease is up.

you can probably sell the whole lot of them to someone with a lower model at a yard sale for a hundred bucks or so or just give them away if you know someone.

don't give them anything they are NOT entitled to.
  • Options
    Hi all. I'm about to purchase the cargo cover from honda-accessories.com and want to make sure it won't be difficult to install. Has anyone out there done it?
  • Options
    guxuguxu Member Posts: 32
    I've read the instruction, and I believe I can handle the installation. But seems every time you want to fold down your back seats, you will have to "release" the cargo cover. It that right?
  • Options
    varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Jeff - I paid about $19.5K for a 99 EX 5spd about two years ago. Purchased (not leased) at Clair Honda in Norwood, MA.

LovemyCR-V - Beatfarmer is not spamming http://www.hondasuv.com because he gets paid for it. ;-) It's a great site which includes all kinds of articles about installing extras like the cargo cover and net. Check it out.

As long as I'm spamming.... Anyone interested in off-roading should check out the articles on the Withlacoochie Forest in FLA, the Allegheny Forest in Bradford, PA, and the sand dunes of Dubai (sp?) This month we also have some information (speculation) on what not to expect from the '02 CR-V and the official version of "The Life and Times of a CR-V Spy Journalist". Our Host Steve might enjoy that last one.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't think I need to go to that "other automotive forum"-- they use "that" word over there.

:-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Yes, you do have to release the cargo cover in order to recline the seats, but I think it's worth it. I hate the thought of going shopping (especially at times like Christmas) and having all of the packages just lying around in the open.
  • Options
    Varmit - Thanks for the info, I'll check it out right now.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I can't help you with your cargo cover, but I gotta say you are one polite and cheerful-sounding person. You would be great for a customer-relations job. Hope you enjoy your CR-V. It's a great little car.
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliment!!! What a way to start my morning.
  • Options
    bironbbironb Member Posts: 63
    I presently own a 99 Accord Coupe EX V6 and I am in the market for a reasonably priced compact car based SUV equipped with a V6. Toyota (Highlander), Mazda (Tribute), Ford (Escape), have all managed to produce such vehicles except Honda. Although there is the Acura MDX it's size is bigger than I need and way more than I care to spend on a vehicle. I wish Honda had a vehicle to compete against the new Toyota Highlander as I have been quite pleased with the reliability of my Accord so far.

It is my understanding that Honda plans to produce a Honda scale down version of the MDX sometime in the future, unfortunately I don't want to wait that long.

It's also quite amazing how Toyota has managed to release this year alone three new SUV's (RAV4, Highlander, Sequoia) with a redesigned 4Runner for next year. In the meantime Honda released the MDX and a redesigned CRV is forecasted for next year. Is it a lack of R&D money at Honda, just wondering?
  • Options
    scale down the MDX in terms of size, especially the width. The thing is wider than any minivan!
  • Options
    Why not an I4?

Honda is known for some of (if not THE) best 4 cylinder engines made in the world.

I would rather a 2.2 Honda motor, or better yet, a 3 litre 4 cylinder over a v6 from Nissan or GM.
  • Options
    If wishes were pennies, I'd be a rich man.

The Honda version of the MDX is due out in 2003. Personally, I hope that it is a wide as the MDX. Keep it stable, baby!
  • Options
    would suffer from terminal shakes, I think.
  • Options
    CanadianCL - Good point. I remember mucking around under the hood of one of those larger unimog-looking army trucks. They had cylinders the size of coffee cans. The only things bigger were the engine mounts used to hold the 6 cyl beast in place. It still shook like bull at a rodeo.
  • Options
    bob6361bob6361 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I recently bought a 2001 Honda CRV (SE). On the way home the day I picked it up, I noticed a hollow/grinding noise coming from the front of the vehicle. I've had it in the garage twice for this problem. They first replaced the front wheel bearings, and that didn't cure the problem. Next, they replaced the transmission, and that didn't cure the problem. At this writing, the CRV only has 900 miles on it. Has anyone encountered a similar problem?

My first thought was that it was a bad shock or some part of the front-end assembly, because going over a rough road produces a distinct hollow sound, as though something is loose or broken. At times, the noise is so loud that even turning the radio up doesn't drown out the noise.

Obviously, any help or comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob
  • Options
    Try telling that to Porsche!
  • Options
    Bob - I don't recall ever reading about anything similar to what you've described. What I would recommend is that you document everything that has been done, when it was done, and what you've been told by the dealer. If your dealer cannot correct the issue, take it somewhere else. Given that they started with wheel bearings, then replaced an entire tranny, I'm thinking that your service dept has no clue (about this particular problem). Those are pretty drastic steps. If another service crew can't correct it, look up your home state's lemon laws and start sorting that documentation.
  • Options
    beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Fun catching up on posts at work, nothing wrong with Isuzu varmit, just a little rough around the edges.

As for other Honda SUVs, the Honda version of the MDX is going to sell very well (duh). Passport leaving the ranks at that point?

-beanboy
  • Options
    watchungmanwatchungman Member Posts: 1
    I'm am going to buy a 2001 crv ex. i live in New Jersey. What i would like to know the prices paid by anyone who bought in NJ and if the experience with the dealer was plesant. I plan to buy before the finance incentives run out on 7/9/01.Thanks to all. you can post response here or i prefer email me at watchungman@yahoo.com. thanks again
  • Options
    Beanboy - Actually the Isuzu Trooper is a pretty reliable truck when compared againse the rest of its class, but (based on what I've read) the Rodeo/Passport is not quite so good.

I'm thinking that many of the people who have been complaining about the lack of a V-6 in the CR-V will be very happy with the Honda version of the MDX.
  • Options
    gwapogwapo Member Posts: 20
    aside from the:

CRV EX CRV SE
    90amp .vs. 95amp alternator
    cloth .vs. leather seat/steering wheel
    black .vs. colored bumper, side moldings
    4.56 .vs. 4.36 axle ratio

what are the other differences b/n EX & SE?

btw, what does "axle ratio" mean?

thanks.
  • Options
    guxuguxu Member Posts: 32
    It was not even in my shopping list, but now I have it and the more I drive it, the more I like it.

I paid invoice w/ free floormats (2WD LX). While I was waitting the delivery, Honda started offering the financing deal, so I got it also. The dealer just gave my deposit check back. So I paid nothing for my new CR-V, and I don't have to pay anything until the end of next month.

Since it will be my daily transportation, I do want the black bumper and black side moldings.
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    What you posted above plus:

1) A chrome-colored grille surround on the SE.
    2) AM/FM/CD stereo in the EX; AM/FM/CD/cassette stereo in the SE. Someone at CRV-IX claims that the SE headunit is also more powerful, but I haven't verified this.
    3) If you want a stick shift, get the EX; the SE only comes with automatic transmission.
    4) The SE's have tinted glass from the rear passenger windows to the back of the vehicle.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Has anyone ever replaced just the glass part of the driver side mirror? If so, how much do the part(s) cost and is it easy?
  • Options
    ckocckoc Member Posts: 5
    I am very close to buying a crv but wanted to see if any of you had information on the redesign of the crv for 02.. When will it be available? what are the changes /improvements? What is the projected cost?

Also, what have some of you paid for a crv-ex manual, want to make sure I am negotiating ..
    thanks in advance.
  • Options
    calboycalboy Member Posts: 2
    ckoc, I asked the same question in the subaru topic and juice said the new crv should be out around september with a slightly larger engine. the best price I have seen is invoice at the carsdirect website for the 2001 crv. calboy
  • Options
    I posted a link to a site where I wrote a comprehensive article on the speculations about the '02 CR-V (because it's easier to link to, than it is to explain it over and over again), but it doesn't seem to have stuck.

The most likely engine candidate for duty in the next gen CR-V (remember this is just speculation) is a SMALLER engine that puts out more horsepower, slightly more torque, gets better mpg, and has cleaner emmisions.

I like Juice and, in general, he knows a whole lot about cars, but his suggestion is based on what he thinks Honda should do. The engine I'm talking about has already been built and is used in the Honda Stream. (Sold in the Japanese and European markets only.) It's a smaller 2.0 liter four banger using i-VTEC technology. It's the same block used in the upcoming Acura RS-X and the Civic Si.

Honda has built a new production line in their Sayama plant where they are capable of producing eight variants of this engine. Engines will be built in sequence to lower costs associated with waste and lead times.

Honda has promised to revamp all of their domestic car engines by 2005 (the CR-V would be one of them). Therefore I doubt we'll see the aging Accord 2.3L in the CR-V.

Expect to see the new model hit sales floors in the Fall. I'd guess November, but it could be as soon as October. We should start seeing "spy" photos soon (not the stuff I did at "that site, which will remain nameless" for fun). We should also see either a concept or the real deal at auto shows this Summer.

If that's not enough information for you, search back about 40-50 posts here in the town hall for other posts where I've given more details. There's also a good one about the engine over in the Forester vs. CR-V topic approx. 20-30 posts back.

Ckoc - I paid about $19.5K for my EX manual, but that was back in Spring 1999.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    CRV's can be had at invoice or just over it in most areas of the country. You have to know where to look.
  • Options
    rbogeyrbogey Member Posts: 9
    I just picked up my 2001 CRV-SE and I love it! I have been following the advice on this site for the last 6 months and finally made my move.I am in the Pittsburgh area and got mine for about $700 over invoice. I do have a question about the spare tire cover. Do they make a lock for it; because all it takes is about a minute to remove it. I would be sick if I came out from a store and found it missing. thanks .... Rick
  • Options
    Here we go again...

That pic is the result of an airbrush meeting a current CR-V. It was first posted by a member at the CR-V IX. Anyway, there were two pictures. One is the blue CR-V in that link and the other is a green one. The green one is exactly the same except for the color. Even the reflections in the glass is the same. Chances are, if one was an airbrush job, so is the other.

There are other tidbits. Note the size of the front wheel arch vs the rear one. They're out of proportion.

I also haven't figured out why a Japanese magazine would be taking pictures of a home market car and use a license plate spelled in english.

As for the engine, I recently posted what my best guess would be...

varmit Apr 13, 2001 10:17am
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    I have the '97-'98 hard spare tire cover on my '00 EX, which should be virtually identical to yours in construction, I think. Inside one edge of the vinyl surround, there should be a brass grommet. I took a small luggage padlock and bound the grommet to the hole in the zipper pull.

It's quick and easy. The only other way to significantly protect the cover would be to have an alarm with shock sensor. I'd be pretty upset if someone took my cover too, since I took the time to paint mine Electron Blue to match the rest of the car.
  • Options
    marlowe2marlowe2 Member Posts: 4
    Say, I'm considering leasing a CRV with automatic trans. I'm concerned, though, that the CRV is under-powered with its current engine. What's the concensus, here? Are people generally satisfied with the pick-up, etc.?

Also, I'm concerned that the armrest on the door will be unconfortable during long drives. It seems like such an impractical shape for an armrest. It's not a flat surface! Since I rest my left elbow there when I drive, I have to think about such things. Am I crazy?

Thanks for any feedback.
  • Options
    Ladychaos - That would be interesting. I kinda doubt that the CR-V will get 7 seater capacity. That would place it in direct competition with the replacement for the Passport (a Honda badged, decontented MDX).

I can't make claims about the accuracy of that Honda employee's claims. He may have been told all that by someone else just as a smoke screen. I do know that Honda/Acura has design studios in CA. I was unaware of one in PA (but hey, I don't know everything!).

Marlowe - Your test drives should answer that for you better than I can. In normal driving conditions, I find the amount of power in the CR-V to be adequate, but nothing to write home about. However, when you rev it up to 4,000 rpms or higher, it has enough for some fun. I have the manual, though.

I like the the fact that Honda included full length door handles on all four doors. They're great from a practical point of view. Comfort is another story. I've read only a few complaints about them, but I do know of two owners that have hand made pads for them. They used OEM cloth or door fabric (try a junk yard or auto interior dealer) and did a nice job of making a flat pad that inserts between the handle and door panel. Ask over at the CR-V IX for more information.

• Options
    Okay, I just found out that Honda does have a design studio in PA. So at least that much is true.
  • Options
    Ladychaos - I though I was the only one surfing the Aussie sites! :-) Here's a more up to date article on the HR-V. Same site, but a more recent report. I'm doubting that the HR-V will make it over here. Despite the positive tone of these articles, the HR-V has not been well received. For example; this review.

Interesting thoughts about the new Passport. Since the rumors say that it was be a tame version of the MDX, I was expecting it to compete with the Higlander. Honda would up the ante on the Highlander in the same manner that they did the RX300 (more power, more cargo, same car-like ride).

Good posts. Keep em coming.

• Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_/showall_on/id_HON/doc_hnd0103301/article.html

Just checked out that site, Honda is offering a new special edition CRV in Australia with sunroof. Wonder if it will make its way here. The sport classic edition is said to start sale April 1, for 3 month.

Notice the front bumpers have 2 round holes for fog lights. I don't see it on US models.

Here's a picture on Japan Honda site, CRV with painted front bumper with fog lights. Chrome grill. Is that some kind of scoop on the hood?

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/cr_v/

• Options
    http://www.honda.co.jp/CR-V/type_v.html

Oh yeah, there's definitly a sunroof on Japanese CRVs.... What about us here in the poor USA? Why didn't Honda make it available for us?

• Options
    A extra large sunroof at that.
  • Options
    Varmit: "The most likely engine candidate for duty in the next gen CR-V (remember this is just speculation) is a SMALLER engine that puts out more horsepower, slightly more torque, gets better mpg, and has cleaner emmisions. "

Yes, but the important part is at what rpm's does this "slightly more" torque come? That is important for off road capability, and around town.
  • Options
    ladychaos: What redesigned Sportage?

I like the Sportage, but dislike some of the quality issues. A true 4x4 with a great warranty. All it needs is a few more cc's and some improved quality, and I'd buy.
  • Options
    HRV:

I looked at those web pages. On the specs, I noticed the tire size: "195/70 R15 92S tyres." I would expect AT LEAST 225/75R15 on the entry level stocker if it is going to be taken somewhat seriously. Better would be 235/75R15, 245/75R15 or 245/70R15 or even a sport version with 31X10.50R15 tires.

I want ride height!!!
  • Options
    Scname - The sunroof is offered in a number of markets outside of North America. The most common explanation is that the roof structure is not designed for the type of sunroof that we favor (could be a problem in a rollover). I'm told that the one offered in other markets is placed between the front and rear seats and is more for the rear passengers than the folks up front. Dunno if any of this is true, though.
  • Options
    Sasquatch2K - I've posted a number of links to the different 2.0 articles somewhere in the back posts here and in other threads. One of them can be found on that Aussie site Ladychaos and I have been posting for the HR-V.

The little engine that could develops most of its torque between 2000 and 4000 rpms. The article does not give a specific percentage. Typically, they do not remark on this unless it's 85% or higher. The current CR-V also has a flat torque curve, but it doesn't get close to peak until almost 3000 rpms and hangs on through 4,500 rpms.

The current CR-V's block is a 2.0L, but has the external dimensions and weight of a 1.6L. This new block is supposed to be even smaller. With more torque, a lower torque curve, and less weight it should go pretty good.

The Stream (where the engine is used now) has been billed as a seven seater coupe. LOL! However, it's probably only slightly smaller than the LX non-AWD CR-V. All of the reviews describe it as having "sporty peformance". I'd guess that with the AWD CR-V's extra weight, this will translate to an improvement in pick-up, but nothing to challenge the V-6s in the line-up.

The design direction of the block was aimed at improvements in fuel economy and emissions. Those areas are where the impressive gains are.
  • Options
    she123she123 Member Posts: 2
    In your expert opinions, do you think I should wait for the 2002 CR-V or get the best possible deal I can on a 2001 SE?
    I have a '98 JGC and I'm looking for a more car-like ride. My little one tends to get car sick from the bumpy ride.
    Any suggestions?