Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    I don't have the cladding... for the area it would cover, I have no chips or scratches after 19000 miles. I do recommend getting the front splash guards, as that will keep your lower door area a lot cleaner.
    I think its more of a personal preference as regards to look... Mine is black, so looks wouldn't change much, but I think if I had a lighter color, it might make it look a little better.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    Love it. Sort of. Actually I hate cladding but IMO dings, dents and chips are worse. Our CR-V is my wife's daily driver. She likes the mall. She likes to park close. With the cladding she can park anywhere she wants and I'm happy.

I do have one area the seems to be coming loose. It appears as if some parts are installed with double sided tape, that's the part that is loose. The dealer will fix it wo I'm not worried about it. I believe any dealer installed options are covered under the 3/36 warranty as long as you purchase them with the vehicle. That includes installation problems.

Like juice said, there is cladding on all kinds of vehicles and they don't seem, to have any more rust problems than any other vehicle. I'm not worried about it. I don't know how much a coat of wax will do but, it won't hurt.

We have eternal blue. I wish we had silver. Wife's car. Wife's choice. Now if I could get her to wash and wax it. : )
  • Options
    Yeah...but what about the rear brakes? LOL

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I wax the rear calipers and buff the rotors to a high gloss finish. And I use the back of the garage or the vehicle in front of me to stop.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    IMHO cladding is great. You don't have to bend down to wash and wax painted panels low to the ground, so it saves time. It's easy to clean, durable, resistant, etc.

If you like the look, it's no-brainer. It's like getting all the benefits of a Saturn's plastic panels with none of the huge panel gaps! LOL

-juice
  • Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2003- /07/31/national1634EDT0677.DTL

Originally posted by Atlas1025 on the CRV problem board. I know some of you don't read that board.
  • Options
    h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    thanks.
  • Options
    Coat that shtuff with Zinc, Honda.

-juice
  • Options
    hondawannabehondawannabe Member Posts: 4
    Planning to order an '03 EX with the 5 speed manual transmission. Every CRV that I've been able to look at on the dealer's lot has been automatic....I'm concerned about what might be a space conflict between the folding beverage tray located between the front seats and the manual shifter.....Looks like it might be a knuckle buster when the tray is in the up position.... Would appreciate comments from anyone with the manual tranny....Thanks
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    It's not a problem. I own a first gen with this arrangement and have never had a problem. My sister owns a 2003 in the same configuration. I've driven it with no problem. Having an infant and toddler in the back seat, she frequently has bottles in the tray. She hasn't complained about the position.
  • Options
    cls6spdcls6spd Member Posts: 14
    hondawannabe - I have an 03 CR-V with a 5-speed transmission. The tray is about 6 inches shorter than the one in the automatic. There is no problem with access or clearance with the tray. Incidentally, the center console lower storage compartment is replaced with a lower console/storage tray.
  • Options
    carm11carm11 Member Posts: 13
    i know this is the crv board, and i own a 02 very
    happy except i like the new style better on the explorer.
    i know its larger and costs more ,and although i never have driven one, would it be fair to try to justiy this comparison, anyone have any input.
  • Options
    Hmm, I'd compare it to an Escape, or a Pilot to an Explorer.

Any how, do you tow? Do you need more than 4-5 passenger capacity? Have you ever felt the need for a low range? Those would be the reasons to look at an Explorer. That plus maybe you qualify for S-plan pricing.

-juice
  • Options
    i guess the answer is no to those important questions on towing, seating capacity, etc. i guess what it comes down to is that i think i'am just unhappy with the bland styling.
  • Options
    It doesn't look like anything else on the road. How is that bland? The Explorer has at least 2 other vehicles that look virtually identical. If you don't like the styling, that's one thing, but to call it bland is a stretch IMO.

Heck, some even suggest it is too different. If you want something really radical, get an Element. Or you could get cladding, side steps, wheels, paint the exisiting cladding, roof rack, take off the rear spare, get a different cover, tint all of the windows, lower it, get pin stripes (yuck), etc....
  • Options
    Have you looked at an Element? It's anything but bland...

For the most part SUVs are 2-box designs, hardly cutting edge stuff.

-juice
  • Options
    Carm - I don't think I would trade up to an Explorer just for the styling. Too many sacrifices. The Mazda Tribute is probably the best looking of the small SUVs. If you want something more radical, then the RAV4 and Element would be my next suggestions.

Ivcvi - Bland has become the term du jour when people don't like the styling of a Honda. It usually means they don't like it and can't explain why. I've read posts where people call the Element a bland box. It reminds me of a line from the Princess Bride... "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
  • Options
    INCONCEIVABLE!

That's exactly what I think varmint. I hear the Pilot's styling is boring. How? I think it follows the Explorer form with a little more style. Styling is subjective but I think most people aren't objective in their analysis.
  • Options
    You beat me to it, I love that line!

FWIW, I find the CR-V more attractive than the Explorer, which needs some details sorted out. The Pilot looks better than both.

I agree with varmint that the Tribute is the cutest cute/ute, plus Mazda's warranty is longer than Ford's.

Any how, function over form. Why get an SUV bigger than you need when all the extra capability will go to waste? You'll feel it every time you stop for gas.

-juice
  • Options
    carguydccarguydc Member Posts: 46
    Honda recalls 247,000 CR-V SUVs

Reuters / August 05, 2003

DETROIT (Reuters) -- Honda Motor Co. Ltd. will recall about 247,000 CR-V SUVs to fix a part that could keep the transmission from shifting into park, U.S. federal safety regulators said on Tuesday.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the recall covers 2002 and 2003 model-year CR-Vs. It said rusting of the shift cable linkage could prevent the automatic transmission from shifting to park, which could cause the vehicles to roll.

Dealers will inspect the cable and install a rust-resistant control pin.
  • Options
    Sharp as a butter knife there buddy.
  • Options
    well thanks for all the input, i guess i should keep to the reasons i bought the crv in the first place realible, resale, gas milage, etc. i do however like the cladding and think it would look good on my silver 02, is it something i can do myself or does it need to be expertly installed? anyone out there have it.
  • Options
    richk6richk6 Member Posts: 87
    Carm11

I had the cladding installed on my 02 silver EX by my dealer. The install is labor intensive. The cladding has two faced tape on the perimeters, and seven tabs per piece which fit into slots in the doors used by the original trim pieces. The inside door panels have to be removed to do a proper job.

I think the cladding gave the V a more solid look, am very happy with it.
  • Options
    I've got it and I'll second what richk6 said. Have the dealer do it.

Side steps or bars may help too. I don't know that you'll ever really use them though. I've seen a couple Vs driving around my area with no cover on the spare, it looks kinda cool.
  • Options
    I got rear ended in my '98 CRV and it tore the cover. I rode around after that without it, and I think it improved the look, especially if you have the alloys. I have a co-worker that has a black '02 identical to mine, except she has the step bars. Totally useless except for getting your pants dirty, but they look fantastic. I would pay for them before I would get the cladding, if you are trying to improve the looks.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    insur_suvsinsur_suvs Member Posts: 19
    I had the running boards (and fog lights) installed on my 03 EX, the boards have been useful for my 5 year old, plus it makes the "V" look better (IMHO) as do side steps like kyfdx says. The other "must have" are the front mud guards.
  • Options
    kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    Anybody know anything about the colors for 2004. I called Honda's 800 # and of course was told there was no information about the 2004 models.

I looked at the College Hills Honda site that I learned about on this board, and I see they got their hands slapped by Honda (click on future vehicles for details) for giving out info about the 2004 models.

Any of your guys heard anything??
  • Options
    wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Too bad about the recall, but Honda is making good and the problem (not being able to shift into park) is more an inconvenience (you've still got neutral and the parking brake) than anything.
    Anyone know if the corrosion of the part in question could be exacerbated by the huge wheel well openings everyone was concerned about in the new generation CR-V? (i.e. more water, road spray, salt and crud getting where it shouldn't?)
  • Options
    denise31denise31 Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone know if the 2004 Honda CR-V will have a power antenna or at least one I can push down????
  • Options
    crv139crv139 Member Posts: 41
    There are 2 Recalls for 02 and 03 Crv's
    Campaign# 03-044 is the throttle cable recall , all they do is install a protective cover over throttle cable.

Campaign # 03-045 Shift cable recall all they do is clean ,put a foam rubber piece around cover and lubricate shift pivot and cable cover. I had my recall fixed already I was lucky they had the parts in, Honda is slow in giving the dealers the parts, The recalls were in the paper however they are not on the Honda "my home page" that tells you about the recalls.

I was in and out of the dealership with in 45 minutes.
  • Options
    aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    We are having a problem with our 2002 CR-V.

Once the car gets into 4th (top) gear it is nearly impossible to get the car to accelerate beyond a snails pace. The problem is that when we press on the gas the engine doesn't seem to respond accordingly to the input. The only way we can force a downshift is to take the vehicle out of Overdrive.

We've had it looked at once and of course they didn't find anything wrong with it.

This is especially noticeable at 55mph+

What do you guys think? Is it a transmission or drive-by-wire problem?
  • Options
    rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    Are the RPMs climbing as expected? If yes than the next question is "does the tranny actually accomplish a downshift"? (this is an auto, right?)

If yes, than I thhhhhiiiink that everything is OK -- now you MIGHT want to test drive somebody else's CRV to prove that yours is OK, but the 4th gear is pretty tall, the torque peak is pretty high and the goal of the engine & tranny combo IS high fuel economy, not "sporting" performance...

If it turns out that yours is "different" I would be very interested to see what the dealer suggest to 'fix'...
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    have you put the pedal all the way to the floor? Some automatics are programmed to accelerate in top gear until the pedal is really floored.

I've used the overdrive bypass during pasing maneuvers before, but have found that really flooring the pedal has worked for me.

I'm a manual guy, though, and would much prefer a tiptronic setup, as a compromise :)
  • Options
    The RPM's do climb but they climb like they would if you were driving a manual found 5th gear and then gassed it. The revs will increase but you didn't downshift. You know what I'm saying? The vehicle is not downshifting. If it did the revs would take at least a 500 -1000 RPM jump then continue to accelerate.

Yeah and I do floor it. but the drive by wire throttle systems sort of defeat the purpose of flooring it. The computer is not reacting the way it's supposed to.
  • Options
    Here I am showing my ignorance again, maybe.. I've got one, and I didn't know it had drive by wire throttle, and I'm not sure it does. It is an electronically controlled transmission, like almost all of the others on the market, but I think the throttle has conventional linkage. There is definitely something wrong if it won't downshift out of 4th gear, if you are flooring it. Unless downshifting would put you over the redline for 3rd gear, flooring it should pretty much bring about a downshift instantaneously.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    You're right I think it does have a traditional linkage.

Either way I'll probably take care of this when I take it in for the Recall.

I'll let you know what they say
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    What happens when you turn off the overdrive?
  • Options
    How come I can't find recall #03044 on nhtsa's recall site?
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Direct from the site's search engine:

Make : HONDA Model : CR-V Year : 2003
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V274000 Recall Date : JUL 28, 2003
    Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 247019
    Summary:
     ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS, EXCESSIVE CORROSION OF THE SHIFT CABLE LINKAGE COULD PREVENT THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FROM SHIFTING TO PARK.
    Consequence:
     IF THE VEHICLE OPERATOR FAILS TO ENGAGE THE PARKING BRAKE, THE VEHICLE COULD ROLL AND A CRASH COULD OCCUR. DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE SHIFT CABLE LINKAGE FOR CORROSION. IF CORROSION CAUSES BINDING, THEY WILL REPLACE THE SHIFT CABLE.
    Remedy:
     DEALERS WILL ALSO INSTALL A NEW CORROSION-RESISTANT CONTROL PIN. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING AUGUST 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.
    Notes:
     HONDA RECALL NO. P04. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
  • Options
    03045 is the shift cable, I'm looking for 03044.
  • Options
    When I turn off the OD it correctly drops down into 3rd gear and there is the appropriate surge in RPMs and speed with the pedal engaged.

It doesn't seem to be a cruise control issue but that doesn't mean that the fix for the cruise control will not work for my issue.

If you know how to to find the TSB or recall notice for the throttle let me know.

Thanks
  • Options
    On my way home last night... At 50mph, kicked all the way down to 2nd gear when I floored it... At 60mph, kicked to 3rd immediately. '02 CRV.. just for reference...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    well, if your car doesn't downshift when you floor it, I'd definitely take it in. It could be a slack throttle cable, or bad or out of adjustment throttle position sensor, etc.
  • Options
    Aggie - If the throttle cable jumped off the track (as described in that TSB), I'd think you would have more issues than what you have described. Acceleration in all gears would be messed up.

I'm not saying the throttle cable isn't to blame. I just doubt that it's exactly the same problem described in the TSB.

How old is this CR-V? This might be an air issue, rather than fuel.
  • Options
    My CR-V is a 2002 model.

Acceleration in all gears is sometimes slow. The vehicle is most definately slower than when we first brought it home. But the problem is most apparent in top gear. It holds speed very well. It just doesn't speed up well.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I need to make an appt to have the vehicle looked at ASAP. Thanks for helping me confirm that I have a problem that needs attention.

aggie
  • Options
    I think thats just wrong.. Its a 4-speed automatic transmission.. The lock-up torque converter is just an additional feature, that improves gas mileage and reduces wear and tear on the transmission.(Thats been on most auto transmissions for years) It really does have 4 gears.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    If its slow in every gear, It could be the whole transmission failing or even just the electronic control module. I would get in right away. There is no telling what kind of stresses are being put on the engine and driveline due to the failure of the transmission to downshift.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I thought that was the case too, but I couldn't find any info to support either position.
  • Options
    If you go to Honda.com, and follow the links to automobiles, Honda, CRV, specifications.. It will tell you right there that the two transmissions are 5-speed manual, and 4-speed automatic. I've got an '02 with auto, and I can sure tell the difference between 4th gear and the torque converter locking up.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator