Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• moonkatmoonkat Posts: 265
    ctdrice:
    I have and would recommend the Aegis LS4 tires for the CRV. They are surprisingly quiet for such a blocky tread design, and they are blockier than the photos at Tire Rack. Inexpensive and comfortable on my 95 Grand Caravan AWD.

While the Yokohama Avids are popular for the CRV, they are grand touring tires and not highly rated for snow. They are not rated much quietier than the LS4s either. Check the tirerack.com reviews and user comments.
  • dudkadudka Posts: 451
    I have to step in and say something about "the wind noise problem". when i removed the door panels when instaling tweeters and there was no insulation in the doors. I think, and this is just my thought, honda does not rely on sound deadening materials to quiet down the noise. but after driving mine for quite a while i noticed that the windnoise from a cracked window can be greately reduced by opening an diagonally opposite window. in the last coule of days of the heat wave here in the northeast, i have been driving with all 4 windows all the way down and did not notice a lot of wind noise at 60 -70 mph. coarse pavement though, creates alot of tire noise.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    I don't mind the noise too much, it's the accompanying lingering smell that's hard to take. :)
  • muckyduckmuckyduck Posts: 219
    has fold and tumble seats. Gee, the cr-v does too!! Now if we could just get the rest of the
    cr-v to match lincolns, at the price of the cr-v,
    life would be perfect!! I might settle for the open-air instead.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Racoon - Well said.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Avaiator has 3 rows of seats and a DOHC V8 engine. I think everyone would like to see Honda try to match that!

-juice
  • zopszops Posts: 49
    Folks, if you wanted a luxury SUV with little noise then buy the Lexus or BMW or MDX.
    Rememmber this is a chepa mans SUV for 22+, so don't expect luxury........
    Otherwise a great little SUV for people who can't afford the 30+ SUVs.
  • Just got an email from tiretrack that the Duellers are being replaced by a new tread design. I hope Honda puts these on my CR-V coming in July.
    Go to tiretrack.com/tires/bridgestone/bs_hljsp
    Average transaction prices (per NADA) are nearing $26 grand, so zops has a point.

-juice
  • artdechoartdecho Posts: 337
    Anybody have an '02 CR-V with the luggage privacy cover? Does this cut down on tire or road noise any?
  • sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    I think you meant to link us here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bridgestone/bs_hl.jsp

Now, what exactly were you told by The Tire Rack? That the Dueler H/Ts are being "retired"? If Honda decided to switch over to Dueler H/Ls for the factory-installed tires, that would be FANTASTIC! These were my choice of replacement tires for my 2000 EX:

I got 'em from The Tire Rack in January and am very pleased with them. . . .
  • I take issue with your remark about "cheap man's SUV. I can afford $30,000-40,000-50,000 but chose the CR-V because it suits my needs and my money is better served elsewhere. I'll bet there are some who would rather spend their money with discretion than worry about where their next payment is coming from.As far as issues with the vehicle, that is one of the reasons these boards were created.As long as nobody gets hurt, freedom of speech should always be welcome.
  • h1vch1vc Posts: 295
    I'm thinking about getting a crv from mark roberts and having it shipped to me. Anyone else done this? If yes how was it, any problems?
  • rockycowrockycow Posts: 114
    As I recall drop shipping is only available on their Chrysler/Dodge products. Check their web site to confirm this. I ordered my CRV, 1Feb and it should arrive end of this month a 3 mo wait don't know what it is now. Good luck
    rockycow
    I asked and they said they could ship the crv.
    Sheehy.com sells Hondas at no-haggle prices, but I looked and found they list only one CR-V EX auto, and for $23,755.

Above MSRP sort of defeats the purpose of a no-haggle dealer, though. Oh well. They don't list Odysseys at all. Maybe for future reference.

-juice
  • elisthornelisthorn Posts: 15
    I just learned of this site yesterday, and the gentleman who told me said to post this question to you. Received a brand new CR-V on 3/19. On 4/5, began noticing an intermittent, very soft creaking sound, underneath, occurring only when I first begin to accelerate in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd gears. Service Manager said the technician heard the noise then, and also when at a standstill. I never hear the noise at a standstill, so I think the technician was talking about something else. Manager said they found nothing loose underneath. He called national tech support, who said they were just now receiving calls about same noise, but hadn't figured out what to do yet. Manager advised me to keep driving and check back. The noise is still there, and is driving me crazy, esp. in new car! Any ideas? Oh, by the way, I've got the noise on audiotape!
  • geenee87geenee87 Posts: 30
    Thanks for the information about the exhaust system. I searched all over the internet and couldn't find it.

I still love my cr-v after almost three weeks of owning it.
    Elisthorn - Someone has more faith in me than they should. =)

Congrats on the new CR-V. Is it a 5 speed or auto? I'm guesing auto, but don't want to assume. When you are accelerating, are you accelerating hard?

Also, does the problem happen when taking very sharp turns. It doesn't have to be at high speed. Maneuvering in a tight parking lot might do it.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Welcome aboard! I am sure your friend also told you this is the finest group of CR-Vers anywhere!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Tidester/Steve - Just an FYI. This isn't your baliwick, but I'm hoping you can pass the word. The Consumers Most Wanted poll on the sidebar allows double access. I filled it out last night from home. I'm able to access it a second time from work. In fact, I could probably log off and vote several times (not that I would do such a thing).

Dunno how they were hoping to prevent this (cookie ID or user login), but it ain't workin'. I'm going to have to let Al Gore know about it, if this happens again. =)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Thanks! I've passed the word along!

I really really really do not want to get into counting chads! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • daveghhdaveghh Posts: 495
    I drove 67,000 miles in my 98 crv and I traded it in (for a 2002) and I only took an $8,000 loss! That works out to 11 cents a mile! Very impressive for a car that was purchased brand new!
    My CR-V is a 5 speed. I'm just back from the dealer. The technician tried to recreate the sound by slowly accelerating with the brake on (not what I assumed as a "standstill". The service manager road with us and said, no, that's the car straining against the rear brakes. He heard the noise, esp. on my tape recorder that I'd thoughtfully used. I"m to take car back on Monday and they'll try some other things. No, I'm accelerating very gently. I don't know about the sharp turns--I'll try and get back to you. Thanks!
    The CR-V is supposed to perform a self-test of the ABS system. I don't much about this, but others have posted about it. CR-Vs with ABS (is your's an EX?) will do a quick brake test the first time you put the car in gear. It doesn't matter if it's a forward gear or reverse. However, this should only happen when you first start up and move. Since you are hearing it all the way up to 3rd gear, I doubt that this is the cause. My only concern would be that it is malfunctioning and testing the brakes too frequently. Just a wild guess.

Good thinking with the tape recorder.

I wouldn't worry about the quick turn issue. After reading your last post, I'm pretty sure that the problem I was thinking of could not be it. When the fluid goes bad, the RT4WD system will make a squeal/grind kind of noise. Typically, this doesn't happen until about 40K miles. I was thinking that perhaps you had some how lost RT4WD fluid (a slow leak), or got a batch of bad fluid.
    So no one has had their crv shipped from Mark Roberts to local dealer?

Anyone on here worked with Matthew D Shaw of mark roberts? How was your experience with him?

Thanks.
  • jjc7jjc7 Posts: 3
    I purchased a gold EX a week ago from Sloane Honda via Autobytel. They took $300 off the sticker. Easiest vehicle I ever purchased. As noted on this site, the driver's door is stiff to shut and open as compared to the other doors. The road noise is louder than my old Camry, but the veiw from up high is great. I ordered the cargo cover from www.hondapartsforyou.com, $130, no tax, no s&h. Thanks for all the info from you guys who blazed the trail and posted it here. Keep em comin. What a great site for cr-v owners.
  • tomsrtomsr Posts: 325
    Just got back from a 3 day vacation in the
    San Bernardino Mountains.Loaded up with two
    mountain bikes,large ice chest,4 suitcases,with room left.Went over 200 miles on 1/2 a tank.
    While up there ventured up a dirt road in the woods with snow ,mud,boulders,it did not miss a beat.My wife drove back down and said this is
    "exciting".It is no sports car but who cares.
    May Consumers Report put the Rav 4 ahead of the CRV.That's fine if you want less room and power.
    The only feature the RAV4 has that would be great is removable rear seats.
  • I just purchased a new 2002 CRV-EX 5 speed. Actually this is my 2nd week with the car. I love it!! Had a 1993 Accord with 170,000 and what a change!! I love the build quality and its larger than I thought. My friend bought a Tribute at the same time, it will be interesting to compare down the road. My one glitch is that my seat does rock at certain times (mostly when letting out the clutch) it was very intermittant at first but it is more frequent now. Or just maybe i'm noticing it more because it is new and i'm all over this car. I love the info here and really appreciate the a/c defroster trick by fasteddie #6798. My 1 question is that in viewing the threads the seat problem is refered to as bulletin 02-017. Is this a Honda bulletin or a national safety bulletin?? I do have confidence in Honda to provide a fix for this problem (they once replaced some sort of ignition camshaft (car was sputtering) at 80,000 on my accord for free (said it was a bad part)so I have faith in them.
    I understand that because the Honda is so new that even the dealers might not know what I'm talking about so I would like to find out as much info as I can before I call them (probably when i get my tags or get first oil change maybe earlier)
    This is a great forum I comb it every day. Any feedback or help appreciated
    Thanks Varmint. I appreciate your suggestion. It is an EX. If anything else pops into your mind, please let me know. Anyone else who has had this prob, please write. I'll be sure to mention the ABS check to the technicians on Monday and will get back with you afterward. Think I need a spelling lession (road > rode!).