Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,313
    Sounds like a good price according to our Used Car Appraiser and it's a Used Car Best Bet.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,957
    I think you have to look at it like any high-mileage vehicle.. The only thing that matters is the condition of the one you are looking at. The "books" always underestimate the deduction for high mileage.

That said, if it is as nice as described, and you can get them to come down a few hundred, it sounds like a good deal.

The original owner and all service records is a nice thing.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• dave_cldave_cl Posts: 54
    Thanks Bruce. The info re the pads appears to be accurate, but the part number on the rotor boxes containing the old rotors is not the same as you posted. Perhaps I left out some info. The invoice I received for the job mentions "2 42510-S9A-N00 Drun in Disk, RR B $103.30 $206.60". And "1 01406 Green Disc 3M $1.95"
    Does this make sense? The rear rotors are definitely new, but I'm still wondering if the old ones needed replacing at 65000 kilometers?
  • dave_cldave_cl Posts: 54
    Bruce, I checked the rotor boxes again and found the same part number that you posted here. Thank you very much. That establishes that the old rotors which were returned to me actually fit the cardboard cutouts inside the boxes, so they probably came from a 2002 CR-V. Can I expect to be buying new rear rotors and pads every 65000 kilometers (41000 miles)? Has anyone else had this experience with any vehicle?
  • kathgipkathgip Posts: 39
    I have a question for anyone. I want to install a hood protector on my CR-V. I don't want the Bra type, but the hard acrylic or whatever it is made of. I saw one on a CR-V in a parking lot and it really looked sharp. I live on a gravel road, so I need it. Where is the best place to get one (I checked the Honda website and they offered only the Bra type)? And how much do they generally run? Thanks for your help.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,919
    Click on the link at the top of this page for H and A - they are a Honda dealer selling discounted OEM accessories.

Also check out www.macneil.com - I have their deflector on my Odyssey and it's a great unit.

Good Luck.
  • Thanks Steve and kyfdx for your thoughts on the high mileage. I am going to have a Honda dealer inspect the car first before making a final deal.The car looks in such good condition it's almost like a case of rolling the speedometer ahead rather than back. The owner commuted 100 miles daily to work.
  • edunnettedunnett Posts: 552
    I would figure that the most I could squeeze out of the car would be maybe another 75K miles. Although you never know... In that time you will likely need some expensive maintanance including new timing belt ($300-400) and water pump and other things that just GO at over 150K. If you don't expect to get more than 5 years or 75K of service out of then it's a good deal.

As a reference point, I just spent $1400 on an '86 civic wagon with 126K miles on that promptly took $2000 to "spruce up". I'd say your well maintained CR-V is a better deal than that! ;-)

BTW - the "sprucing up" is stuff resulting from not being well maintained - timing belt, water pump, carburetor tuning, tires, alignment, fuel filters, cooling fan motor and switch, etc, etc, etc... And I'm still happy with her!
    I was thinking it probably had a new timing belt, etc., although another belt won't be that far down the road. How many miles a year you plan to drive is a factor too - if you do 10k or less a year you could anticipate several years without much maintenance (hopefully!).

Steve, Host

• bshelbshel Posts: 232
    collegehillshonda.com has a great imported clear bonnet protector/hood guard. 72+ship. Looks great - they show a pic and one of my friends put one on her 2004 V.

Do a search on the CR-V Accessories board here - there may be more. There are at least 5 different styles I've seen.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    FYI...I've got 97K miles on my '99 CRV, had two front brake jobs, only pads replaced, rotors merely turned, and new brake fluid. Rear brakes are drum and have checked out fine each time. But I'm in Florida which is mostly flat and always hot so we don't get a big temperature change.
  • aggie1995aggie1995 Posts: 318
    I will differ in opinion here on the 1997 CR-V

NO VEHICLE that is 7+ years old and has 169,000 miles on it is worth $4300.

If you only depreciate the vehicle for mileage at 12 cents per mile the car has depreceiated $20,280. That is easily more than the original cost of that vehicle. That doesn't even get into the increased maintenance that you should expect on such a high mileage vehicle.

That being said I think that it should be a great vehicle for about $2000.
    Did anyone ask Terry & the gang over in Real-World Trade-In Values for a price?

Steve, Host

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,785
    A well maintained 1997 CRV with those miles is WELL worth 4300.00 and the seller can get that in a heartbeat.

Especially if it's an EX.
  • sfsmithsfsmith Posts: 20
    I had a 02 for almost two years before it was rear ended by a tanker truck and totaled. Very luckily no one was injured. It had 51000 miles on it. Only things that I changed were tires, oil, and rear end fluid. My guess is that if you have an automatic, and do mostly city driving, brakes will go much quicker....but 40K seems to soon....not to mention the $600!
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    I just sold a 1995 GS400 with 150k for $6500. There are many vehicles that sell for a lot even after they've been around the block a few times. My 1994 LS400 will get an easy $8500 even with 125k on the clock. Never say never.
  • drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    I don't think there was an EX in '97. It either had ABS or not and maybe a few other things. Trim lines didn't emerge until '98. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The sites I checked showed that price to be reasonable for that year and mileage CR-V.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,957
    It was an ABS and alloy wheel pkg, I think... but the result is the same.. Basically, if you have standard alloy wheels, then you have the equivalent to an EX in '97.. but, there was no EX designation that year.. I had a '98 and that was the first year for the EX.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• theracoontheracoon Posts: 666
    A well maintained 1997 CRV with those miles is WELL worth 4300.00 and the seller can get that in a heartbeat.

Especially if it's an EX.

There wasn't an EX model in 1997.

:)
  • alphajcalphajc Posts: 34
    1997 CR-V 169,000 IMO is NOT worth $4300. I'd say most I will pay for such a car is around $3500.

7 years from today in year 2011 will 03 & 04 Honda CR-Vs fetch 20% of its new price? Nope...because they'll all be burned to ashes because after 20,000 fires and 500 deaths, Honda will still refuse to recall the vehicle.
  • hkjcrvhkjcrv Posts: 84
    Hi everyone..

Well, I officially reached 1000 miles this morning on my way into work. I've now had the CRV for about a month, took a little 300 mile roadtrip... love it.

Anyway, I wanted to ask... I'm going on a 1000+ mile roadtrip starting next weekend, and I'm wondering if it's okay for me to start using cruise control? Before I got my V, I had read on these boards that you are supposed to avoid cruise control for a while so that you vary the RPMs and break in the engine properly. I just can't remember how long I'm supposed to do that?

I'm just thinking that it'd be awful nice to be able to use cruise control at times on such a long trip...

Thanks!
  • theracoontheracoon Posts: 666
    The information is in your Owners Manual. Look in the index for "Break In".

:)
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    7 years from today in year 2011 will 03 & 04 Honda CR-Vs fetch 20% of its new price? Nope...because they'll all be burned to ashes because after 20,000 fires and 500 deaths, Honda will still refuse to recall the vehicle.

And it will still be a problem with incompetent mechanics.
  • sabrina9sabrina9 Posts: 148
    Incompetent mechanics may still be around, but what is the appropriate repsonse to that? Shouldn't design, over time take this stuff into account and as time moves on you design as many possible human errors out of the system as possible. Done all the time - childproof stuff, lawn mowers that you can't start without holding some piece of bar so you don't cut yourself -automatic shutoffs. The real Q is will Honda learn from this and perhaps take this into account when they redesign the vehicle? I mean, if I can't get a good o/c from a dealer, what does that say about more complicated stuff
  • hkjcrvhkjcrv Posts: 84
    1997 CR-V 169,000 IMO is NOT worth $4300. I'd say most I will pay for such a car is around $3500.

I think that's a bit dramatic and highly unlikely.
  • bshelbshel Posts: 232

I hope it isn't too surprising that my 94 AccordEX (140,000miles)was sold at $4100. I wish I could have kept it, it was in wonderful condition, but I wanted the $ for downpayment on my new V!
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    you really mean:

And it will still be a problem with incompetent Honda mechanics who perform the first oil change on CRVs made after 2002.
    Yes, I knew that. I was around when they were introduced and I remember the waiting lines to drive them. We tend to refer to the 97 ABS models as EX's even though they are not. I don't know why Honda did that one year thing?

Anyone know how to tell a VERY early 1997 CRV?

They didn't have the fold down tray between the front seats.
    Well, what isn't a good value to you will be quickly snapped up my someone else who appreciates the value. No problem!

And, sorry...you are WAY overreacting on this fire situation.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    OTHER than Honda involved. So right there it shows a lack of knowledge of the subject.