Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• I don't have anything pertinent for this discussion, but I've had my CR-V (2005 EX) for about 4 months now and I just love, love, love this car. By this point of ownership of my last car (a turbo Passat wagon) I was already having big second thoughts. I can't say enough good things about the CR-V. The great snow handling, now that I've gotten to try it, is just the icing (so to speak) on the cake.
  • Hi, I have a 2004 Honda CR-V & recently it passed 8000 miles ready for it first schedule maint. What I want to know is how much would it cost? I live in AZ, USA & what is it involve/checks also is it best to take my car to my Honda dealer for this maint? Thanks
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    All the maintenance items should be in your owner's manual and you're in AZ so use the severe schedule. Though you can do these yourself, or have your friendly mechanic do them, or I'd recommend the dealer. But make sure they don't do items that aren't in your owner's manual.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,049
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you how much we think that service should cost for your zip code.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    My experience with the CR-V and Honda dealers has been great.

Honda knows how to build cars well, and knows how to treat customers! Good thing it wasn't a VW! I don't think they have a german word for "customer service" or "reliable"! ;)
    By this point of ownership of my last car (a turbo Passat wagon) I was already having big second thoughts.

Is your customer service noticably better or worse at the Honda dealer (do you use a dealer?)? Congrats on the car, they are great vehicles!
  • Is your customer service noticably better or worse at the Honda dealer (do you use a dealer?)? Congrats on the car, they are great vehicles!

The buying experience was equally good in each case, I thought. As far as service goes, I didn't like the fact that when I took the Passat to the dealer, at about 23K miles, I needed a $500 brake job that a regular brake place couldn't do because the Passat has Fancy Magic Brakes of some kind. (It remains to be seen whether I'll need new pads or whatever after 23K miles in the CR-V; I very well may.) And I hated that I could only get new windshield wiper blades at the dealer (again, they were apparently Fancy Magic Blades) and they cost over $100 for all 3 (front plus back), and they never worked well to begin with, and degraded quickly.

As far as the actual service, I never had any problems. I haven't taken the CR-V in for its first service yet, so I can't comment on the Honda people.
  • jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    My 1st full tank of gas yielded 17.5 mpg, & I couldn't be happier. Given that my weekday driving consists mainly of a 3 mile drive to the railroad station in the morning & a 3 mile drive back home at night, my CR-V (an '06 EX 5M delivered on 11/12) doesn't run long enough to fully warm up. When you factor in the unseasonably cold weather we've had in the Northeast, you can understand why I'm positively ecstatic about this mileage figure.

My previous station car, a '92 Ford Taurus with the optional 3.8L V-6, typically returned < 10 mpg under these conditions.

(But I do miss the sweet smell of antifreeze.)
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    I know what you mean. With my new MDX I was getting 21-22 mpg in mixed driving. But for the past two weeks, I've been home playing Mr. Mom and the MDX has only made in-town trips. MPG is currently 20 according to the trip computer.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I understand completely. Try combining errands, i.e. pick up groceries and dinner on the way home, car pool in with someone else, etc.

-juice
  • I am thinking of purchasing a 2006 CR-V LX FWD and would like to know if the PTTR problem described in many previous messages still exists on the 2006 model.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,800
    Well, according to the Guide, all 2003 EX CR-Vs are MT only. There was no option for Automatic Transmission.

Famous quote of 1865 that applies here:

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show?"
    Good suggestion. I do that when running my weekend errands & whenever possible during the week.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Or buy a scooter. I mean, if you're just going back and forth to a train station, the scooter should get the job done. Weather permitting it might be useful enough to pay for itself in gas savings.
    Dunno about that, varmint. I work from home 2 days per week, so the most cost-effective fuel conservation measure available to me might be to simply convince my employer to up that to 3 days per week.

In any case, replacing my old Taurus with the CR-V has cut my fuel outlays nearly in half. Having a fully-functional sound system & 4 working windows (the Ford's rear windows stopped working a couple of years ago) is frosting on the cake.
    The buying experience was equally good in each case, I thought. As far as service goes, I didn't like the fact that when I took the Passat to the dealer, at about 23K miles, I needed a $500 brake job that a regular brake place couldn't do because the Passat has Fancy Magic Brakes of some kind. (It remains to be seen whether I'll need new pads or whatever after 23K miles in the CR-V; I very well may.) And I hated that I could only get new windshield wiper blades at the dealer (again, they were apparently Fancy Magic Blades) and they cost over $100 for all 3 (front plus back), and they never worked well to begin with, and degraded quickly.

If it is any consolation, my father had a 2003 Accord whose brake pads (front) were worn prematurely and making a rough sound at stopping. It only had 14k miles on it, and my Honda dealer replaced them under warranty. I know we have different dealers (i'm in alabama), but maybe this kind of caring will be passed around to different dealers! (Also, the brake job on our 2002 CR-V was under $200, but I'm not sure of normal cost. I got wiper blades at the dealer months ago, $5.15 on the receipt I found, not $100. Welcome to the family, tamaraster! (Although, I can't attest to the blades being fancy or magic, they certainly wipe clean.)
  • I'm definitely happy to have non-fancy, non-magic blades that actually work! And will be cheap to replace!
  • Things I like...

1-Handles nicely
    2-Motor is fast for a 4 cylinder, as well as quiet.
    3-Nicely put together, no squeaks or rattles.
    4-Loads of safety features makes me feel safe.
    5-Brilliant use of making a small vehicle feel large inside
    6-The spare tire has an aluminum rim that matches!

Things I dont like...

1-Road noise on the highway which I knew before I bought it is excrustiatingly loud. Wishful thinking on my part that it would go away. I think it will take new tires to help that.
    2-Seats are just plain hard. Hope that doesn't become a problem on long trips.
    3-The steering wheel controls don't light up.
    4-Headlights dont come on automatically like all the other cars I have driven for 15 years have had.
    5-Spare tire on the outside makes it hard to keep clean back there. Again, I knew this before I bought it.
    6-Stereo sound quality is adequate at best.
    Not a bad idea. I had one on campus when I was in college, those things were great to get around.

1984 Honda Aero 125cc, fun little thing, but it was air cooled so it would overheat. The Elite 150 came out a couple of years later and was water cooled. Pick up a used one of those, should cost well under a grand.

-juice
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    Regarding CR-V roadnoise: For what it's worth, I rode in my friends newish Jeep Liberty. It was MUCH louder than my 2005 CR-V. And not as refined...I have the CR-V SE and he has a Liberty Limted. Should be comparable. And his gas mileage is a WHOLE lot worse. His was somewhat cheaper, however, after all the game/rebate/gimmicks that Honda avoids.
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    I noticed that it's tough to align the hard cover for the spare tire on my CRV-SE. So after playing with it for a long time and getting it just right, I did the following that some of you might want to do to...to make the word HONDA look right across the back of the vehicle.

I put a dab of touch up paint on the fabric zipper area as well as a dot on the windshield wiper. The two dots of paint align. So you no longer have the problem of being sure the lettering is straight without being able to see it since you are on top of it aligning it. The paint can be any color, really, since it's only a dab and can't be seen unless you look behind the spare tire.

Just be absolutely sure you have "HONDA" absolutely straight across the back to begin with. It might take 4 or 5 times back and forth...and stand WAY back to be sure it looks straight.
    Good idea. I believe a similar principal is used when removing/replacing suspension components to keep the alignment in spec.

Liberty is a full-frame truck, and those tend to be noisier than unibodies.

-juice
  • my friends newish Jeep Liberty. It was MUCH louder than my 2005 CR-V.And not as refined

I have no argument there about refined. I found that my new CRV is even more refined than when I first test drove it. It is amazingly taut. I attribute the road noise to the piece of junk Dueller tires. Once they wear out I can get something much quieter Im sure.

Sure the CRV is a little more expensive then the cheaper Liberty, but wow, wait until its trade-in time. The CRV will be worth almost double. That is no exaggeration, go ahead and price them used on the net or in the paper. Thats one of the reasons why I bought it. I drive 30K miles a year so resale is very important. The only vehicle which holds its value better is a Corvette. You look at the price on either vehicle and you scratch your head and ask why someone wouldn't just pay a few thousand more and get the vehicle new.

2 Year
    Very true, the KBB value of a '98 CR-V was higher than for a Jeep Grand Cherokee when I looked, never mind the regular Cherokee which was priced closer to the CR-V when new.

-juice
  • I had a hard time when I put them back on after wheel lock installation on spare.
    Saw some SE in the street and most of them is not aligned.
    The easy way for me is just put them on and close the zipper only half way(or open only half way if closed). Then twist it to left or right. It works for me ;)
  • I gave up and went nekkid.

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    I am running NEKKID as well :-) Feels good to just hang out there :-)
  • Whenever I see V with NEKKID,I just have a strong feeling the poor guy's cover was stolen again ;)

How come mine is only holding with three nuts and Mr.theracoon's holding with four nuts?? I think I am gonna buy another set of wheel lock to replace other two nuts.
    Easy, folks, this is a family show. ;)

-juice
  • only1harryonly1harry Posts: 1,136
    The Bridgestone Duellers on my wife's '04 CRV have to go. Now with 15k mi. on them and half the tread, they are horrible in wet, light snow and ice. We live in NY and the winters can be brutal here. The Duellers were average last winter when new, so we put up with them, but they have deteriorated severely, even with 2 rotations at 6k and 12k mi.

I have spent the last 2 days on tirerack.com reading hundreds of reviews. Was going to order the Michelin Harmony (Standard Touring - All Season) because it got very high scores and good reviews, but last minute decided to look at less expensive tires.

The Kumho A/S 795 also got excellent reviews and scores very close to the Michelin. The main difference is, it's almost 1/2 the price! Does anyone here use the Kumhos on their CRV? I only found 3-4 reviews from CRV owners and they gave it 7.3 - 8 scores, not 8-9 as most other reviewers with different vehicles so I wanted to see if people here have used them on their CRV and what they think. I only have experience with the Kumho DOT race tires (Victoracer and V710) as well as their Ultra performance MX tire which are all excellent so I would assume that their All Season tires are just as good. But we all know how you spell "assume" :)

Also has anyone gone to wider tires like 215-65-15? This size most closely matches the circumference of the 205-70-15 and speedometer error is minimal (0.7mph or 1% too fast). The main reason I 'm asking is because most people said the Kumho A/S 795 is narrower than normal and recommend plus sizing.
    The 65 profile vs. 70 profile results only in a 0.14" smaller sidewall or a little over 3mm which is negiligent and hopefully won't affect ride quality.

What non-OEM tires do you guys use (besides winter tires) for driving all year round in different kinds of weather?