Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• pogs2006pogs2006 Posts: 26
    Hello Folks,

I was just at a Honda dealership and the salesperson noticed that the battery was dead. He found out by trying to unlock the car with the key fob.

So after boosting the battery, I took the CRV for a test drive, but I noticed three things. First the radio didn't work, secondly that the driver's side auto window didn't work, and thirdly the warning bell didn't sound when the headlights were left on. So when I asked him about it, he said that because the battery died...the technicians would have to do some resetting of the computer that controls the radio, warning bell and the auto window.

Does anyone know if this is the case? I would appreciate anyone with knowledge of this ASAP.

Thanks,
    pogs2006
  • danpf1danpf1 Posts: 80
    When will Honda build a CR-V Hybrid model and do you think it will be popular? I'm hoping that if Honda does build one, it will have a regenerative device to charge up the battery while being towed behind an RV. How many like the idea of an Hybrid CR-V? I sure do.

Dan
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,785
    The radio is definitely correct, I hadn't heard about he auto side widonw and warning bell, but it sounds logical. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the car if you like it. All items are covered by warranty.

BTW, the code for the radio should be in the owner's manual packet.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,769
    So when I asked him about it, he said that because the battery died...the technicians would have to do some resetting of the computer that controls the radio, warning bell and the auto window.

Does anyone know if this is the case? I would appreciate anyone with knowledge of this ASAP.

More than likely, the vehicle hadn't yet been prepped. Many fuses are installed during prep that may account for some of those issues.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    I do not expect a hybrid CR-V any time in the near future. We know for certain it is not in a three year plan which started last year. That comes from the CEO.
    "So there is still a pass through between the two front seats, but it's much narrower and there was no evidence of armrests or even the familiar fold down center tray....but that could have just been the angle that I was looking in from."

If you are correct about the space being more narrow, there is no reason not to have a console. The existing pass-through was already pretty tight.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    ...are up on another forum....more or less undisguised. not sure if I can link to them....
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    We've started up a 2007 discussion for the new CR-V talk - here's the link:

2007 Honda CR-V

Some of the posts in here will be moved over there to help seed the discussion, so the thread chronology may be a bit disjointed for a day or so.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

If you want to talk about the current model still on sale at your local Honda dealership, please do so. :shades:

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,785
    Naw, the 2006 isn't ugly in front... not near as interesting a topic. :shades:
  • easy2t2easy2t2 Posts: 31
    Diesel?! Very important fact. Where did you hear about it????
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    For a year we debated between a V, Forester X and new model RAV. We waited and got the RAV. I know, probably should have waited another 6 months for the new V. Anyway, I have a friend in a similar situation. I guess Honda has good financing on the 06 (soon to be old style) Vs. To me the car was fine but I do recall an issue with fires. In fact there used to be a forum devoted to it but it appears to be missing. I wanted to reccomend browsing thru this forum. I was also curious if Honda ever developed a solution to the issue? Anyone know where the forum went or care to provide an update?
    Some of the archived SUV discussions went into mothballs a while back because of some server issues. Still no ETA on getting them back online.

Meanwhile you can find some posts using search engine caches - here's the last page of posts in the Honda CR-V engine fires discussion courtesy of Google.

Steve, Host

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Diesel?! Very important fact. Where did you hear about it????

It was a rumor when I posted, but it is no more.

Planned Honda turbodiesel for U.S. would likely debut on Civic, Accord or CR-V

By KATHY JACKSON | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 07/09/06, 1:48 pm et

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- When Honda sells its first diesel engine in the United States, it likely will be in the Civic, Accord or CR-V.

John Watts, manager of Honda's U.S. product planning, said Honda plans to introduce a clean-burning, 2.2-liter turbodiesel in the United States within three years.

"That 2.2 could probably crank out about 200 horsepower and about 220 (pounds-feet of) torque at little rpm," he said at a press event here. "Vehicles like the Pilot (SUV) and Odyssey (minivan) are too big for a four-cylinder."

Honda sells a 2.2-liter, four-cylinder turbodiesel engine in Europe, but Watts says it does not meet U.S. emission standards.

Takeo Fukui, Honda Motor Co. CEO, said in late June that the company will unveil a four-cylinder diesel in the United States that will run as clean as a gasoline engine.

Watts thinks diesel will catch on in this country if the engines can go 400 miles on a single tank of fuel.

"I think four cylinders and diesels make a lot of sense with the price of gas," Watts says. "But we're looking at everything -- diesels, compressed natural gas, fuel cells, hybrids and E85. We don't believe there's one solution."

Watts also said the Honda Division may need to add another SUV to its lineup.

"We don't know what it will be yet," he says. "Maybe something between a minivan and a SUV. But we do need something between the CR-V and the Pilot."
  • kyusskyuss Posts: 8
    I am an '06 Ridgeline owner and my wife has an '01 Accord. She is interested in both the CR-Vs and Elements (not for the looks). She basically wants a bike and dog (2 dogs) hauler. The Accord is only a two door. Has anyone bought a CR-V and wished they had gone with the Element or vice versa? If so what's the reason? The wife and I can't really decide especially since the reliability history seems to be about the same. Thanks for any input.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Maybe something between a minivan and a SUV. But we do need something between the CR-V and the Pilot.

I wonder if they regret not making the CR-V a little bigger, to compete with the RAV4's available 3rd row?

-juice
    thanks...will pass along to my buddy...sounds like the issue was not resolved though...at least in that generation.
    not sure about 07 V size but the 06 feels about the same size as our new RAV.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Some how Toyota squeezed in a 3rd row, though. Perhaps Honda will bring the Stream here instead?

-juice
  • shantonshanton Posts: 5
    My husband backed into a parking-lot post, denting and cracking our rear bumper (2006 CRV). :cry: It looks pretty easy to pull off the bumper and snap in a new one, or am I totally wrong?? Any secret spots to get a new bumper without getting robbed? Thanks!
    There are pros and cons for both vehicles.

The Element has the wash and wear floor, plus the rear seats can be removed to create an enormous cargo area. Very nice for anyone toting bikes or puppies with dirty feet. The cargo floor is also lower to the ground.

However, the Element has less cargo space when the rear seats are in place. The interior isn't as nice. Fuel economy is a wee bit lower.

The CR-V has a split gate in the back. I frequently used this to give my hounds some air without giving them the opportunity to run amuck at a rest stop. (Greyhounds will get into trouble at 40 mph.) It has a full-size spare, so flats can be dealt with easily. The CR-V also has extra storage under the cargo floor for things puppies should not be getting into.

However, the CR-V is carpeted and won't clean up so easy. It's also a bit more expensive.
    Based on the lack of fires since Honda changed the materials used in the gaskets, I'd say the issue was addressed.
    The last one I can find at the NHTSA for an '05 CR-V dates back to January, '06. (ODI ID Number : 10148931). Didn't check for other years.

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    My husband backed into a parking-lot post, denting and cracking our rear bumper (2006 CRV). It looks pretty easy to pull off the bumper and snap in a new one, or am I totally wrong?? Any secret spots to get a new bumper without getting robbed? Thanks!

It is indeed a snap on. Check out the hitch installation instructions from HandA (banner on top of the page)

You can get the parts from a number of online dealerships, pick the closest to you to save on shipping.

San Leandro Honda CA

Majestic Honda, RI

Ray Laks, Buffalo, NY

And my personal favorite Fair Honda, Danbury, CT.

Some of them don't list all the parts online, but if you call the number and tell them that you are calling to get website pricing on the parts, they will connect you to appropriate person.
  • shantonshanton Posts: 5
    Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it. That is some quality advice! :blush:
  • My 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT was totalled on July 7th (no one hurt, not my fault!). Today I picked up my 2006 Pewter SE. The only extra's I put on the car was splashguards. I paid as follows:

Car with splashguards: 23409.00
    Doc fee 299.00
    Sales Tax 1422.48
    Registration 165.00

Total out the door 25295.48

I put a good chunk down and got the Honda Financing for 60 months @ 4.9%. I know the documentation prep charge of 299 is sort of bunk, but I think I did ok.... I really like the car. It's good to be higher up off the ground again......
  • codata99codata99 Posts: 123
    Here you go~, ray_h.

"Answer = Hi, At times I am outraged by some dealer practices, but this is not one of those times. The dealer did the right thing by changing the transmission oil at 30K. Honda (the manufacturer, not the dealer) came out with insane maintenance recommendations starting with the 2000 model year. I've overheard new car salesmen saying things like, "You could weld the hood shut until 105,000 miles", which is when the first really big service is scheduled. Honda (the manufacturer) is misrepresenting the amount of maintenance your car really needs. For example, the Honda Civic uses screw and jamb nut style valves, which need adjustment at least every 30,000 miles, yet the first valve adjustment is due at 105K. I've not seen a 2000 & up Civic burn a valve yet, but I have seen two CR-Vs with valve damage at 45,000 & 50,000 miles. Honda (the manufacturer) is putting the responsibility of getting the valves adjusted on the dealer (or independent) techs by including the instruction "adjust valves if needed" in the workshop manual 30K,60K,90K,and 120K lists. Since Honda valves tend to get tight, and tight valves show no signs of being tight until it's too late and damage is being done, and there is no way check valve clearance short of removing the valve cover and checking all the valves, and checking the valves and adjusting the valves takes the same amount of time, "adjust valves if needed" is in essence the same as saying "adjust valves". Your warranty only lasts 36,000 miles, and there will almost certainly be no symptoms from their very light maintenance schedule in that amount of time. However, if you want to keep your car for 100,000 miles and beyond, you would be well advised to beef up the maintenance recommended in your manual. In my opinion Honda has traded the appearance of low total cost of ownership for their future reputation for reliability. It should be good for fleet sales, but bad for total sales in the long run. Here's the good news -- if you want to save some money, check your area for Honda specialty shop that has a good reputation. You will likely end up spending less money for a service that includes everything your car really need than you would at the dealer for just the services the manufacturer recommends. Good luck, Paul"

http://www.artsautomotive.com/ask-the-pros-answers.htm
    The Honda in question was a 2002 EX, with a 3/36 powertrain warranty. But the current Honda drivetrain warranty is 5 years / 60,000 miles so that sort of taints his argument, at least for current models. In fact, most major US car powertrain warranties are 5/50 or better (well, most by name anyway - Chevy/Dodge have a heap of sales and they are still are stuck in the 3/36 world). Warranty Week

Extended service intervals may be a selling point for the manufacturers, but too many warranty claims hits the bottom line. I don't think manufacturers are going to stretch intervals out unrealistically since it would come back to bite them, both in warranty claims and damage to their reliability reputations.

• georgew1georgew1 Posts: 28
    I continue to read about A/C compressor failures on current CR-V's. I had a 2000 LX with no problem and now have a 2004 EX. Are any of you experiencing any A/C issues with your CR-V's and are there any preventive measures to be taken?
    Thanks.
    George in IL
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Take a look at CR-V: AC Compressor Issues.

tidester, host