Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You can be Fire Marshal only if you paint black dots on your greyhounds. ;-)

You should drive down to Dewey Beach, DE for the annual gathering of greyhound owners.

-juice
  • kizhekizhe Posts: 242
    I would hope Edmunds would have some type of procedure for impeachment of the Czar ..

Do not forget that Varmint is a Czar, who is not suppose to get involved in the "check and balances" of power. There is NO impeachment procedure for the Czar, only an abdication or (God forbid) a revolution.
    He is NOT a "president", thanks God!
    He don't have to relay on polls, manipulate public opinion or seek support of special interest groups. Heck, he is a Czar!
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Can Czars levy taxes?

If not, I may need to rethink this.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    1968 Bug. It wasn't teminal or anything though. I put it out and pushed it home. It was a fused choke heater wire.
    My dad had a Camry that caught on fire while it was being driven on a highway in Belize.

In fairness, I seriously doubt all the recalls had been performed on that car (I'm not even sure if there was a Toyota dealer in that country), so who knows if he missed out on one that could have prevented the fire.

They got out just in time and watched it burn completely.

I'd tend to think most are from fuel leaks, though, not oil.

-juice
  • Was in this weekend having the 02 CRV SRS light investigated. Tech suspects faulty control module and will call when part comes in to schedule part swap. While waiting I asked the service rep. about the CRV fires. He said it was a combination of poor gasket material and lack of tech. visual inspection. He said the original gasket material disintegrates and leaves various amounts of material behind resulting in gaps with the new gasket and thus oil leakage; when not properly completely wiped away. FWIW.
    I wonder if the oil change interval is too long, and the gasket material doesn't last that long, i.e. designed for 3k miles?

-juice
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,642
    Contrary to popular opinion, the oil change interval for Hondas has been 7500 miles for over 20 years... On the GEN II CR-V, it is now 10,000 miles.. Yeah, yeah, I know all about severe service schedules, but this is for "normal" operation.. And BMW has a service interval of 15K miles, so I don't think gasket technology is the problem.... poor gasket/filter quality? maybe (and that is my guess).

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• crviciacrvicia Posts: 4
    I agree! I just had a fire today. I am not sure what the cause was since the service people were out the door already. I am sure it has to do with the oil since I just had my first oil change 2 days ago at the recommended 5000miles.
  • sabrina9sabrina9 Posts: 148
    Make sure you file a complaint with NHTSA....you can do it online..www.nhtsa.gov IT IS IMPORTANT no matter what the cause

OK, let's say that SOME of the fires can be traced to poor quality gasket on the filter as the two posters have said that the dealers have said. Either deterioration or just a poor quality gasket (forget about dbl gaskets for a minute). BTW, this forum had suspicions on that a long time ago,

Warranty or no warranty? Knowing what we think we know now (Honda changing filter and dealers seem to know the cause). Should those fires be covered under Honda warranty (assume done a dealership with Honda part)?
  • nornenorne Posts: 136
    I think its whatever little changes honda made to MY 2003-04 that is the root of the problem. I have 2002 model honda recommends changing oil at 10k for normal and 5k for severe driving.
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    Interesting stuff, when I was considering the CR-V 3 months ago, the salesperson told me that the CR-V was next in line. Does the CR-V share the Accord engine? If so, it would fit in easily...correct?

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=30&article- - - - _id=8505
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    Current BMWs utilize a top mounted metal oil filtration cannister that incorporates an O-ringed threaded cover. When you remove the cover, you extract a filter "insert" that is designed to be crushed to extract all the waste oil for recycling. You can change the insert from the top and barely get your hands dirty... no cheap spin-on filters here! However, I agree that the 15K oil change intervals seem overly optimistic, even with this elaborate filter system and the factory fill of synthetic oil.
    I'm sure the gasket is just rubber, but there are many grades of the stuff. 10k miles is long-ish but not extreme by any means.

crvicia: wow, glad you're OK! How did it happen? Were you in the car, driving?

Definitely share the info with the NHTSA. The more data they have the better.

-juice
  • kizhekizhe Posts: 242
    My Volvo S-70 GLT got a similar oil/filter system - bottom mounted plastic oil filtration canister that incorporates an O-ringed threaded cover. When you remove the cover, you extract a filter "insert" and replace it to the new one.
    There is twice as much oil in Volvo engine - 8 Q, recommended oil change interval - 7.5K .
    "OK, let's say that SOME of the fires can be traced to poor quality gasket on the filter as the two posters have said that the dealers have said."

Am I missing something? I thought we had one poster (quoting a service Tech) who blamed gasket quality. Where has this been repeated? (Seriously, I'm trying to learn as much about this as anyone.)

I know that Cybernut questioned the Service Manager and got this explanation.

"He said no, that it was a combination of things: the original filter installed in the factory is installed very tightly; the gasket may or may not be properly lubricated; and the heat near the oil filter can “bake” the gasket, making it stick more than usual."

But that list doesn't include a poor quality gasket. It lays the blame on installation, lubrication, and heat, but there's no mention of quality.
    The CR-V uses a 2.4L engine that is similar to the four cylinder used in the Accord. However, the Accord hybrid uses an electric motor hooked up to the 3.0 V6, not the four banger. That block will not fit into the CR-V's engine compartment.
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    Yep I spoke too soon, this morning a friend brought in the latest Automobile magazine and it showed the Accord Hybrid V6. As you stated, no way it will fit. I wonder if they're going after the Highlander and put it in the Pilot or take the one in the Civic and put it in the CR-V to go against the Escape. Either way it should be a winner.
    There are a couple of possibilities. It sounds strange to think this way, but Honda now has four SUVs (crossovers) in their line-up. The Element, CR-V, Pilot, and MDX are all potential for a hybrid.

Furthermore, there are plans to introduce a vehicle named RDX to the Acura line-up. This is supposed to be smaller than the MDX and possibly CR-V based. It has been shown as a concept car with a hybrid drivetrain.

And those are just the SUVs. Honda could also put the hybrid in the Odyssey. The Ody is already offering the variable cylinder technology that is part of what makes the hybrid Accord work.
  • sabrina9sabrina9 Posts: 148
    First, I think we need to separate the fires. Some were caused by a dbl gasket. Arguably that is the tech, even though Steve the Host thought the mfr had some responsibility.

I am talking about the others, which is where I refer to post 13339 Kizhe talking to the service manager about the new filters. He (SM) seemed to know alot about the fires and at least said that the gaskets were weak. My first Q is why would he say that unless he had some reason, especially where he is selling Honda parts. Second, don't you think it is a little strange that Honda would change the filters all of a sudden when they just changed them a few months ago?

Granted, it is only one dealer. Maybe I'll go buy a filter and ask the same Q Kizhe asked.
    I guess the only way to solve this is to see the circular.