Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• theracoontheracoon Posts: 666
    If this harrowing event happened to you with your family in the car almost being killed, perhaps your smugness wouldn't be so luminous

I wouldn't put my family in the situation as you originally described. Their safety comes first, even if it means taking longer to reach our destination.

JM2C
    Maybe you are lucky enough to live in North Dakota where there is no congestion and can crawl into traffic when making a left turn. I live in a crowded area and if you don't move sprightly into traffic, then you are destined to go nowhere.

Your profile lists your location as Rochester, NY. I lived in the Rochester, NY area for four years (Greece for a year, then moved to Webster, worked in Irondiquoit). I currently live near Indianapolis, which is more than double the size of Rochester, NY (triple if you count the suburbs). I learned to drive in one of the most over populated areas in the country, Los Angeles County. I know about traffic. And I know not to turn in front of oncoming traffic if there's a possibility I won't be able to get out of their way.

JM2C
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,643
    You have to admit... you haven't read that phrase on Edmunds before.. :-)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Sport/cutes, as I like to call them, are popular because they are affordable and fuel efficient alternatives to truck-based SUVs and do just about everything most owners demand from them better.

So basically they offer a lot of the advantages, such as a good view point, good cargo room, a roof rack, some towing capacity and AWD traction, without a lot of the common trade-offs: tippy handling, 12 miles per gallon, part-time only 4WD.

The segment is getting squeezed by more car-like SUVs and by cars that have gotten taller (Camry, Focus, Corolla, 500) and wagons that have also gotten taller (Freestyle, Pacifica, SRX).

But the segment is still thriving. RAV4 was pretty much first, and sales have not dropped despite the crowded segment today. The segment itself just keeps growing.

They can't tow 5000 lbs nor can they offer low-range gearing so perhaps they lost potential sales to both of the people that truly need those. lol

-juice
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Please consider this an attempt to rationalize the design, not an attack on anyone's opinion. I've got traction control (TC) on my wife's TL, so I have some experience.

"Lets say you are making a left turn on a very busy throuofare on a rainy day. You gun the throttle to merge quickly into traffic and your left wheel starts to spin and bam, the traction control kicks in and applies the brake."

In a FWD vehicle without TC, the spinning wheel would have spun and you still would not have moved forward. Most cars have open differentials, meaning that the spinning wheel would have allowed all the engine's power to "leak" out to the wheel that has no traction.

Had you gunned the engine without TC, you'd have gone nowhere. Might as well put it in park and get out before the semi impacts. With TC, you have a chance of getting moving.

"You panic and give it more gas because you have an 18 wheeler bearing down on you who you have just cut in front of."

I find this to be a strange reaction, having driven a TC optioned car for the past three years. When traction control kicks in, you feel a very unusual (sometimes harsh) vibration in the drivetrain. It's just like what you'd feel through the pedal during antilock braking.

In my experience, people get off the gas when that happens. That would allow the tire to regain traction. Stomping harder on the pedal seems like the last thing a driver would do (IMHO).

And, yes, I believe you can disable the VSA/TC functions.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    In that circumstance the left front tire would spin, because weight is shifting to the outside, i.e. right side of the vehicle.

The system would probably brake the left tire only, help transfer power to the right front wheel.

I imagine cutting engine power would only happen if both wheels were spinning, kinda doubtful in a turn.

The CR-V (with RT4WD) would have two weapons in its arsenal. The T/C would apply power to the left front wheel, and the AWD could engage to get both rear wheels to start helping.

I can't imagine what would work more safely to get you across that intersection.

-juice
    For many owners (not all), simply adjusting to the style of the seat makes a big difference. The CR-V is designed with a seating position that is more appropriate to much larger vehicles. When you sit in a sedan, you tend to lean back. In a pickup truck or minivan, you sit more upright.

A lot of people who come from a car to a CR-V have complained about the seating until they figured out how to make the seat worked. Sit upright.

That isn't going to help with the softness of the cushion, though.
    The documentation on the 2005 CR-V is a bit misleading (IMHO) with respect to the RT4WD. At the least, people are reading to much into it.

Based on what I've read, the dual pump design has not been replaced. It has been augmented. The new 2005 materials still include mention of replacing the dual pump fluid. The case for the RT4WD unit still looks the same. It still weighs about the same, as well.

I've been researching mechanical systems to find out more. A press release from Australia describes the new unit with pretty much the same terms as the US information. However, it uses the terms "one-way ball cam" and "pilot clutch". This is more specific than either the US or Canadian press material.

Both parts are frequently used in transmissions, but I'm still trying to figure out what advantage they provide to the existing RT4WD design.

Anybody got a good explanation for how these parts work?

When I find out, I'll post more.
  • theracoon:I lived in the Rochester, NY area for four years (Greece for a year, then moved to Webster, worked in Irondiquoit).

If you did indeed worked in Irondequoit, how come you didn't learn to spell it correctly, assuming you really did work there? And no, I am not Ted Kozinski, I welcomed air bags and front wheel drive.

If I pulled onto a busy road, and its wet uphill, sometimes you get a hint of spin, which is normal. With traction control on a Camry, the anti lock would kick in and then the engine would shut down, for a very minor slipping incident. You are exaggerating in assuming that I'm lighting up the tires with clorox at the starting line at a drag race. If you let up on the gas to stop the traction control, that is enough to get the cars behind you to be on your tail very very quickly.

Frankly, I wasn't fond of a computer chip making a decision to apply the brakes for me. Why can't Honda do like most truck manufacturers do which is, AWD is your traction control if it has the capacity to drive all 4 wheels. It seems redundant, frankly. On the two wheel drive trucks, they then add traction control.

Two year
    "Why can't Honda do like most car manufacturers do which is, AWD is your traction control if it has the capacity to drive all 4 wheels."

Because AWD alone only drives one front wheel and only one back wheel if there is slippage. (Read up on open differentials.) With TC, you can get power to two front wheels, and AWD adds a third wheel in the back.
  • Varmint writes:With TC, you can get power to two front wheels, and AWD adds a third wheel in the back.

As the lawyers would say, "asked and answered". Thank you

Varmint writes:And, yes, I believe you can disable the VSA/TC functions.

How would you guess one does that? The Camry had a switch that would work to turn it off until the next time you start your car, and then it would go back to the default setting of "on"

Two year
    If you did indeed worked in Irondequoit, how come you didn't learn to spell it correctly, assuming you really did work there?

Because I didn't have to learn to spell it, since the mailing address for the office was Rochester, not Irondequoit. I apologize for misspelling Irondequoit.

And despite your insinuation that I was lying about working there, the office is located on East Ridge Road just past where Bay Shore Blvd turns to the south. East Ridge used to dead end into the parking lot, but they've built homes behind where the office building is and continued the road. And for a bit of history, the building used to be a winery. :)

And instead of You are exaggerating in assuming that I'm lighting up the tires with clorox at the starting line at a drag race.

I made no such assumption or assertion.
    The Camry had a switch that would work to turn it off until the next time you start your car, and then it would go back to the default setting of "on"

Good question. I don't have an answer, though.

I have disabled the TC in my TL (for testing purposes), but I did not shut the car off to see how it defaults when the car is restarted.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    If you did indeed worked in Irondequoit, how come you didn't learn to spell it correctly...

Hey, I lived there too and I never even remember whether Pittsford has two T's or just one! And the same for Henrietta! :-)

tidester, host
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,971
    lighting up the tires with clorox

What's that all about? Does it have to be mixed with brake fluid to make lots of smoke?

Steve, Host
    (ModBob reports that he used lighter fluid on his slot car dragsters - my misspent youth missed out ...).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Ok Mr. Tidester

Rochester, New York trivia question time. Is it pronounced Chili or Chili?

One last thing on this Rochester topic then we can drop it. Why did everyone leave? No one ever moves to Rochester, or upstate New York for that matter. They just leave, we have no jobs here for our young and like others on this board they up and leave and stiff the rest of us with same level of tax burden but with now less workers to pay it. Our schools, city excluded are undisbutably the best in the country. We spend more per pupil than any other state. Why, so we can prepare the workers of tommorow to go to work at the jobs out of state. I hope the rest of you appreciate it.

Please everyone come back, there's always a Taco Bell hiring here.

Two Year
  • Hi,

I'm considering getting a CRV 2005. I like the features but it seems to tight for me. I'm 6'2.

Are there any tall people out there that find the CRV comfortable? Does anybody know other mini SUVs to be more accomodating for tall people?

Thank you for your help!!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Rochester, New York trivia question time. Is it pronounced Chili or Chili?

LoL! Now I KNOW you're authentic! Only someone who's lived there knows both i's are long.

tidester, host
    Only someone who's lived there knows both i's are long.

tidester beat me to it, but I did know that it was not pronounced "chilly".

:)
    Why did everyone leave? No one ever moves to Rochester, or upstate New York for that matter.

I did move to Rochester for work, and I loved living there. Excellent Italian food. But while it was convenient for the job to be in the Rochester office when I wasn't traveling, it was never required. And my job changed somewhat, so instead of reporting to a manager in Rochester I was reporting to one in Dallas, then my job changed again. The new boss is in Salt Lake City.

So I moved back to Indianapolis, since that's where my significant other is from and where she insists upon living.

:)