Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    You should be able to find the differences by appraising them using Edmunds, then click on one of the links to see the Editor's review.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    There are no differences between 2000 and 2001, they are both Gen 1.5 which originated in 1999. Like mike said pick the one that is the best maintnaned. I would not worry about miles too much. The survey says that 60% of used cars out there have the odometers turned back. Look for tel tale signs of odometer fraud, such as worn pedals, flattened seats, deteriorated rubber parts (not the othes spayed with armor all), excessive tire wear for the miles, excessive brake wear for the miles... Run a Carfax and have it inspected by your mechanic or Honda dealer (not selling dealer if you are buying from a dealer) Before buying it. Carfax may tell you if the car has been hit, or how many owners it had, and it may detect odometer roll back if the person doing it was not very bright.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I think they only register major collisions, above a few grand or so. It won't capture an $800 fender bender. Just be aware of its limitations.

Have a mechanic do a compression test on the cylinders to make sure they are sealing well. Look for no more than 10% variance between the cylinders.

-juice
  • mrd2mrd2 Posts: 6
    Just wondering. I am considering a CRV SE - Pewter Pearl with black leather. Any experience with the black leather being hot in the summer? I am not worried if they are intially a little hotter when you first get in, but do they cool off once the air is on?
  • jopopsyjopopsy Posts: 65
    It'll take a good while longer to cool that V down. Between the outside and inside, your surfaces will be radiating heat easily 1/2 hour after you put that AC on.

You better wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt before hopping into that bad boy in the heat of summer !!!!!

Jopopsy
    Just wondering. I am considering a CRV SE - Pewter Pearl with black leather. Any experience with the black leather being hot in the summer? I am not worried if they are intially a little hotter when you first get in, but do they cool off once the air is on?

This is one reason I would never buy leather again. I had 2001 CR-V SE, and the PLEATHER gets really hot in the summer and really cold int he winter. Honda resolved the cold part with seat warmers, but it is still going to be hot. I had the front windows tinted and put a shade on the dash to minimize the heat absorbtion, but it was still hot for shorts, or thin shirt.
    I believe the seating surfaces are real leather. The backs and side bolsters might have vinyl, but I don't think the whole seat is that way.

-juice
    I believe the seating surfaces are real leather. The backs and side bolsters might have vinyl, but I don't think the whole seat is that way.

-juice

Only the perforated portion is leather. There are two perforated pieces in the center of the seat cushion and the seat back. The rest is vinyl.
    Their web site only has the cloth model in the photo gallery.

I think leather on the seating surfaces only is pretty industry standard, perhaps Honda cheated a little here but I don't think that's a big deal.

-juice
  • eilroseilros Posts: 35
    I'm currently talking with salesman about a 2000 SE. It's white, the exterior is a 9.5/10, interior is 9/10 and there are 61,000 miles on the odometer. They are asking $13,000. It needs new tires so I'll use that as negotiating leverage.

It's at a Toyota dealer and there is no Honda dealer in town to take it to for a pre-purchase inspection. The CARFAX report comes up clean with only one owner. Based on the mileage on the CARFAX report it appears that the vehicle has been on the lot since December 2004. The fact that it's been sitting there for 8 months kind of scares me. When I test drove it everything seemed fine except for the clunking/whining noise in the rear end when making sharp turns. I assume a fluid replacement would take care of that. Unfortunately there are no maintenance records with the vehicle, so I don't know the history. If I buy it, I'm taking it to a Honda dealer and having them do the 60K inspection (I figure I can knock some more off of the asking price for that).

I plan on taking it to a local mechanic for the pre-purchase inspection. What areas should I have him/her focus on? Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

http://www.carbase.com/pic/lloyd/449311_670475_640.jpg

http://www.carbase.com/pic/lloyd/449311_670477_640.jpg
  • eroseros Posts: 27
    Very informative forum. Of course, it's hard to know how much fear and loathing is behind all of the posts about the PTTR phenomenon!!!!

In any event, I'm a gal who is interested in purchasing a 2005 CR-V SE. I read that Honda had changed the 4WD system from the 2004 version which at times issued a "clunk" when the 4WD engaged. Is the 2005 revision much better?? Is it better or worse than the RAV-4 4WD??

Thanks,
  • rav4urav4u Posts: 21
    I test drove a CR-V LX AWD on the highway this week, it had no PTTR and drove straight as an arrow with no vibrations at all. I was impressed with the vehicle overall. The engine performance was good and the transmission operation was very smooth, better than than my RAV4 in both areas. To me the CR-V is a more solid vehicle inside and out and has a better interior, more comfortable seats. After I got back in my RAV4, I know I want a CR-V.
    Very informative forum. Of course, it's hard to know how much fear and loathing is behind all of the posts about the PTTR phenomenon!!!!

In any event, I'm a gal who is interested in purchasing a 2005 CR-V SE. I read that Honda had changed the 4WD system from the 2004 version which at times issued a "clunk" when the 4WD engaged. Is the 2005 revision much better?? Is it better or worse than the RAV-4 4WD??

Thanks,

CR-V has AWD while RAV-4 is 4WD I believe.
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    I just read an article about the Toyota Highlander hybrid. Seems that in the real world it's only getting 20 MPG around town...less than my new CR-V SE. In the end, it reinforces what I figured out when shopping for it this past spring...a good, tried and true Japanese 4 cylinder engine is a better bet all the way around than the still new hybrid technology. I guess eventually hybrids will be the default mode, but they ain't there yet. When you couple that with the fact that they get full sticker (and a higher sticker than non-hybrid, at that) versus a discounted price for gas vehicles, the hybrid makes no economic sense at this point. For those who want some SUV versatility/go in the snow, the CR-V can't be beat.
  • eroseros Posts: 27
    I test drove the CR-V SE and the Highlander (non-hybrid, 6 cyl) over the last couple of days. The CR-V went straight as an arrow, even at 70mph. I asked the salesman about the feared PTTR. He stated that all Hondas are engineered to pull slightly right to take them off the road, rather than into head-on traffic, if a driver falls asleep. Interesting explanation.

I felt that the Highlander ride was softer and quieter than the CR-V. No surprise there. I wasn't crazy about the need for Premium fuel in the Highlander because I commute a considerable distance daily. The SE was priced at 23,965 and the Highlander, with side curtain bags, at 25,900 (after a clearance rebate of $800).
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    " He stated that all Hondas are engineered to pull slightly right to take them off the road, rather than into head-on traffic, if a driver falls asleep. Interesting explanation. "

Me thinks your salesman is an idiot. Do they engineer CRVs for Britain to pull slightly to the left where they drive on the other side?
  • theracoontheracoon Posts: 666
    I asked the salesman about the feared PTTR. He stated that all Hondas are engineered to pull slightly right to take them off the road, rather than into head-on traffic, if a driver falls asleep.

He lied to you.
  • We finally went and drove a 2005 CRV. We drove a 2wd model LX, there were no 4wd on the lot but they can get us one. My wife loved the car. The saleman was great...took us on a 25 minute test drive on the highway, backroads etc etc. We were going to wait for the newly designed RAV (we have an old gen one now and watch out---the new one is going to provide some more real competiton for the CRV as Toyota is increasing its size to be on par with the CRV!), but the CRV was impressive enough that we may not want to wait for a new RAV. I have some questions though first.

1) My wife said this morning that the only thing she did not like was that the car sometimes felt like it was driving off the road. I did not think twice about this until I saw the PTTR posts!. I need the skinny on this issue. Does it affect both 2wd and 4wd CRVs...remember we drove a 2wd but want a 4wd. Do all owners experience this? I can aasure you I have never had a fwd or awd vehicle that pulled in either direction unless there was a tire related issue? Are such issues inheret in the CRV...please lay it on the line for me!

2) Does anyone feel I should wait for the 06 model. What is the typical price increase? Is the CRV slated for any major changes this year. I know they made a bunch of stuff standard last year....no chance on color coded bumpers becomming standard on the lx is there?

3) The RAV we own is absolutely awesome in the rain and snow. How is the CRV...I know it is FWD until it slips...can you feel the AWD kick in? I heard certain OEM tires on some Vs should be avoided or replaced imemediately......whats up with that?

4) How is the car as far as rattles are concerned?

5) My wife like the alloys, any idea what that would cost me or am I better off buying 3rd party ones.

6) Any chance of the price getting better over the next month or so....they quoted me 20.8 for and 05 LX 4WD.

THANKS!!
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    "CR-V has AWD while RAV-4 is 4WD I believe."

Nah, it's closer to the other way around. The CR-V has an automatically engaging 4wd system. It's 2wd until slippage, then routes power to the rears automatically. The RAV4 has an AWD system which is always sending at least some power to both the front and rear wheels. I think the RAV uses a viscous coupling design, but I'm not sure about that. Also the RAV4 offers a rear LSD.

Having said all that, I doubt anyone who is not racing these vehicles within the arctic circle is going to notice a significant difference between their AWD systems. Other vehicle traits will have a far greater impact on how well they perform.
  • I have had my '05 CR-V for three days now, and am gathering the materials to do a thorough cleaning and waxing job (with Zaino stuff). My question is should I put wax on the dark gray bottom half (cladding??). The reason I'm Zaino-ing it is to get a better base so the paint stays nicer, longer. The bottom half doesn't seem to be painted, though. I guess I could try a small area, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts...