Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• utopiautopia Member Posts: 24
    Read your 1st drive comments. All in all, am not so sure I wouldn't still opt for the 2001 due to exterior styling, pricing, dog-hauling issues, etc. + you seem to love your '99 CRV. Soooo -- IYHO with pros & cons of each (2001 vs 2002), which one wins the coin toss?
  • yachtieyachtie Member Posts: 29
    Varmit,did you happen to take notice of where it was built, Japan or England?
  • martin44martin44 Member Posts: 25
    A fellow Ann Arborite? Did you go to UM? Yes I drove it out of the parking lot today. Went down S.State and made a big circle back. Didn't make it to Saline because another fellow was waiting to drive it. I did get to go by myself ( no salesman ) which was nice. Solid, tight and peppy. I liked it. The saddle color interior I didn't like and will hold out for one with black.
    I have never paid retail for a car and won't start now. I may wait.
    Tidester. The dealership is only half mile from Michigan Stadium and there was a game today. I had to wait until game started to get out of parking lot! 40,000 cars on game day. By the way the private golf course across from stadium is charging $30.00/car and parks about 3,000.Nice racket.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Martin,

I am a former Ann Arborite - moved away from there about 14 years ago. (Yes, I miss the place! I worked for a private company but interacted with people from the U of M)

I lived a block off Stadium near Packard so I recall vividly the traffic situation on football Saturdays!

So the big question - are you going to buy a CR-V?

Go Blue!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Utopia - There are many things that I didn't comment on (even in that long post). I think that the increase in power, increases in safety, and drop in emissions is enough to pay the extra $. All the rest is just icing on the cake. If you have any specific questions not mentioned above, lemme know.

Yatchie - All CR-Vs are coming from Japan right now. The Swindon plant isn't up to capacity, yet. I have it on good authority that we won't see any English CR-Vs for the first year.
  • miamicrv1miamicrv1 Member Posts: 66
    It's suprised me that there haven't been many comments about where the 02 CRV is being built. I'm reluctant to buy a Japanese car made in the US or Canada much less Great Britian. Statistics aside I just don't believe the build quality is as good.
    I've been monitoring another Edmunds TownHall site titled Nissan X-Trail not to be confused with Xterra. It looks like one heck of a vehicle. I recommend you check it out
  • wellresearchedwellresearched Member Posts: 63
    All of the new 2002 CRVs I saw yesterday were built in Japan. It was important to me so I double checked the info on the sticker.
    MiamiCR-V - If you don't believe statistics, then what is the basis for your concern? Other than mixing up British manufacturing with Bristish manufacturers, I can't see a valid reason.
  • mainemanxmainemanx Member Posts: 70
    - Dash/cowl seems awfully high (after our Mitsubishi Expo). Even with the driver's seat cranked up to max, 1 inch roof clearance for my 6 ft, dashboard still seems too high. My 5 ft 2 in wife says she can't "see over the hood." Cushion, spacers, or ?

- Open front wheelwells are somewhat disconcerting ... especially here in Maine where slush, snow, and ice are fast approaching. Anyone have a solution? Aftermarket item? (Previous models were fully closed.)

- Other aftermarket possibilities include extending the rigid plastic front grille surround ... similar to a recent Volvo. Likewise, more aggressive (paint protecting) side "cladding" than Honda is offering as an accessory.

- Overall, it looks very good.

- I'm scared to drive it 'cause I've promised my finances that we'll wait till Summer '02 to actually get one, and I don't want to be tempted to jump sooner :-) Plus, possibly leather will be an option by then.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Stopped by another local dealer (juice, the one in Clarksville, I mentioned to you), and they've added a $700 ADM to the '02 CRV's price. They do the same with Odysseys too.

I won't buy from a dealer that adds an ADM on to the sticker.

Bob
  • sandhurstsandhurst Member Posts: 37

Women are shorter than men. Honda wants to make the CR-V appeal to men more than it has in the past. Solution: make the dash so high that many women can't see out. Fewer women will buy one, men will see mostly men driving one, and purchases by men will soar.

Getting serious for a moment: has anyone else who has been in the new CR-V been concerned about the dash? My wife is 5'2" also, and the sensation that she couldn't see over the hood would obviously be a big problem.
  • martin44martin44 Member Posts: 25
    As to whether I shall get one I don't know. I am talking to salesman Mon. for $ particulars. I don't want to pay retail but, then again, paying retail for a Honda isn't as hard to take. By the way where is this web site located? Just curious.
  • flavolvoflavolvo Member Posts: 8
    Why can't Honda offer the dark gray interior with the red exterior? It is a much better color combo than the red/tan - besides the tan int. is really ugly looking at the pix I have seen.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    "The wet conditions also showed the importance of an anti-lock braking system (ABS) when making an emergency stop. Most vehicles were able to stop within 160-180 feet from 60 mph, remaining stable and in control. However the new Honda CR-V took most of the journalists by surprise with its lack of ABS. Under hard braking I found myself fishtailing and barely in control, while sliding over 200 feet! Fortunately ABS is standard on the CR-V EX."

http://carpoint.msn.com/advice/news_4020600_6.asp?src=Home&pos=Edit5

• diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    But that comment would either turn me away from the CR-V or make me buy the more expensive EX model.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    By the way where is this web site located?

edmunds.com is located in sunny Southern California and most of the hosts are scattered about the country.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    Got a call from Gilman Honda in Houston this morning...the CRV's are in....
  • illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    I think ABS should be standard on all but the lowest end priced cars, or at least anywhere it snows or rains. Ever since I took our 2000 Sienna in a test spin around the block in deep snow and purposely slammed on the brakes I have been sold.

I'm not happy I have to pay for a moon roof and alloy wheels just to get ABS. Or at least make the mirrors heated for the EX. All Soob Foresters have AWD and ABS, maybe all Soobs.

Going to take a highway drive at lunchtime. Got to test drive one Friday night on a city street - not as quiet as I expected, right on about the visors looking cheap. Tires look goofy, but I can live with it - just don't park it near a real SUV. I can live with the shifter and the hand brake. With an arm rest on both driver and passenger seats its going to be hard to walk thru to the back, just like our Sienna (1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd)

IC
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yep, every Subaru has AWD and ABS standard.

I think that offering ABS on the EX only is a mistake, but then again I'd want a moonroof so it's not an issue for me. I'd actually like to see an SE model with traction/stability control and bigger wheels. Monotone paint. And 200hp. :-)

The $700 increase pays for the moonroof. It's a great deal when you toss in disc brakes, more power, and all the added content. Price is competitive. I still wouldn't pay MSRP, and don't think the CR-V is the type of model where it can sustain the MSRP sale prices, like the Odyssey. Wait 6 months, I say.

Nice reviews, folks (especially varmit's), now I feel like I've been in the car before. I should get a chance to test drive one this week. The wife's car problems turned out to be minor, so we may not be trading in soon, but I want to get a closer look at the Odyssey anyway.

-juice
    "I think ABS should be standard on all but the lowest end priced cars"

But the CR-V LX is the entry level SUV for Honda. The fact that it includes stuff like A/C, power locks, and windows does make it seem like more than a stripper, but it's still the entry level model.

With that said, I think that Honda should keep the LX the way it is, but offer ABS as an option. Even if they tied it into a "safety"package" along with the side airbags.

Diploid - That is distressing news. That's the second report about the CR-V's brakes not being up to snuff. The other was a 192 ft. stopping distance (on dry pavement) from another magazine (C&D?). Looks like those rear disks haven't improved performance enough to accomodate even the modest increases in weight.
    I blame the tires. Anyone notice if they are still wearing Bridgestone Desert Duelers?

I had the same tires on my Forester, and they were terrible in wet braking. Their tall profile also made them kind of poor in the handling area. Snow traction was ok, but that's about the only good thing I can say about them. They lasted 28k miles and I was thrilled to get a Plus One set of wheels and tires.

The new tires handle better, ride quieter, brake better wet or dry, and with 14k miles on them still look new. They aren't as good in the snow, but that's the only trade-off.

Sorry to rant, but I say consider a tire upgrade or even a wheel/tire swap.

-juice
  • illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    OK, so the CR-V is an entry level. But I still think like juice says that it should be an option, like the side air bags, on the LX. Did you see the sticker that says don't lean on the door?

I took the 2002 on the highway at lunch, and I thought it was a bit noisy and the acceleration was lacking some. Am I missing something here? The V6 Grand Am I drive currently is supposedly 160 hp and it has no problem at 65, and it seemed that the 2002 Camry 4 cyl and the Forester were OK. Am I supposed to stomp on it? Since it wasn't my car and it had only 89 miles on it, I did not feel it was right to do that to the car.

IC
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    honda2001.com got MSRP and accesory prices now. hard spare cover $119. hitch $261, Fog light $329. Grill Trim $359. Cig lighter $29, ain't standard ? Ashtray $29.
    I took a second drive in the '02 CR-V today. After reading comments I've read here and at the CR-V IX, I decided I needed to do some more research. :-) The vehicle for this trip was another Mojave Mist with the saddle interior, but an EX instead of an LX.

The dials do have 'notches' where they click into place. The dash is slightly higher than the current model, but not enough to affect anyone's view. The radio is easier to see, but, as someone else noted before, it's a little harder to reach. Not a big deal, but there it is. Once again, I forgot to check the rear wiper stream/spray! I checked the rear bumper and, sure enough, when parked next to my '99, they have the same size bumper. The only difference is that the '02 has additional cladding above the bumper. If you took that upper cladding away, they would look the same. The moonroof is nice enough, and the switches are well placed on the dash. They have the icons as my Acura TL, so, from my perspective, they were familiar and easy to use. Headroom in the rear seat is unaffected by having the moonroof and there wasn't a significant difference to me (6'1") up front. The EX stereo sunds much better. I'm not an audiophile, but the difference was substantial. The two extra speakers are placed in the corners of the dash, but they make all the difference. I'm now considering the tweeter kit for my '99. Anyone who is serious about music will replace these, but they're good enough for the average consumer.

The test drive was a bit longer this time and over better roads. After the test drive, I drove the same route in my '99 to make comparisons.

We started on a narrow back road with a few good turns. No problem. The steering is definitely lighter, but overall the vehicle had the same feel. Bumps were handled much like the current model. We travelled a short distance over a smoother straightaway and I revved it up a bit (4,000 rpms). Acceleration was decent, but again, nothing more remarkable than my five speed. The sound of the engine was considerably less, though. The automatic shifts very smoothly. Someone had remarked on the turn signal being shorter. That person is correct. It didn't bother me, though. The action of the new switchgear is smoother (less "clicky")and requires less force. This was examined while turning onto the highway. A nice incline lead to the highway and the CR-V got up to speed without the need to rev it. Today is a rather windy day and I could hear the wind noise clearly. Road noise was also notable, but there is considerably less engine noise than in my '99. On the whole, the ride is more quiet, but we're not talking about 'Lexus quiet'. I opted not to test braking distances. :-)

I learned something new. The EX and LX have different seat fabrics. The differences are minimal. The cloth is basically the same color, but there are differences in the patterns.
  • leokadia1leokadia1 Member Posts: 94
    When to the first dealer, he had three out front, one black LX, one Black EX and a Mojave Mist. The CRV looks much better in person. There were no long lines waiting for test drives. My test day was graet.
  • hayduke01hayduke01 Member Posts: 128
    Got an e-mail from Honda that the CR-V is at the dealers, but you all knew that already.

Here's the announcement, minus the picture:

Smell the CR-V.

If you've been satisfying your hunger for the all-new CR-V through images, videos and 360º views on our microsite - that's all about to change.

Because today, we're releasing the 2002 CR-V to dealerships.

So head to your Honda dealer now to experience the real-life adventure of the completely redesigned CR-V. There you can see, feel, hear, touch, and smell the SUV you've been waiting for.

To find a dealer near you or to customize and get a quote on the 2002 CR-V, visit

http://honda2001.com/models/cr-v/index.html.

©2001 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. All information contained herein applies to U.S. vehicles only. Please see our Privacy Policy and legal terms and conditions.

You have received this e-mail because you requested more information from Honda. To unsubscribe from this list, please click to the following link: http://newcrv.honda.com/unsubscribe/.

in my e-mail about 15 minutes ago.

Bob
    IC: on your Grand Am, you are feeling the torque advantage, not the horsepower disadvantage.

Rev 'em up. Hondas are made for it.

-juice
  • beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    cig lighters are optional on many cars now. It was optional on my 99 'V.

Well said Juice, just stomp on it.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    Has anyone actually purchased one yet?

We have gotten 4 and have sold three...is this just us or are they selling at other dealers as well? What are other dealers saying?

Jerry
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    as ateixeira mentioned what you feel is the torque. i am sure the grand am has over 200 ft.lbs of torque. if you ever drove a honda vehicle you should not be surprized that you need to rev it up high to get it going. if i remeber correctly from college physics, horsepower is a product of torque and rpm divided by some constant. since honda makes small displacement engines it can not do anything about raising torque, it simply raises RPM. that is why honda makes its engines with sky high redlines. it won't snap you neck at take off, but makes a very economical and rather sporty engines. after all wasn't honda behind McLarren?
  • hondababehondababe Member Posts: 7
    Hey tatu1 -
    I bought my CR-V last year from Gilman in San Antonio and would NEVER buy one from them again. I bought my '89 Accord from Spring Branch Honda and was pleased with them.
    I got a call from Spring Branch Honda, they have LX I can test drive. Said they don't have EX yet but I can place order now.

Hondababe, why Spring Branch over Gillman? Those are the two dealer I will be buying from. Gillman is lot closer to me in SugarLand.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Go ahead and play Gillman and Goodson off each other. When I bought my CR-V in 2000, Goodson was able to give me the better offer by about $300 -- but that was then, this is now. :) Don't know which Gillman location you were referring to, but the Rosenberg one is worth checking out. My neighbor told me that that there is a tax differential out there that might be a deciding factor.

Hey, I'm in Sugar Land, too . . . near the airport. If you see this motoring around:

you'll have met my CR-V. My car's distinguishing features from the rear are an extra set of brake lights and a body-colored spare tire cover -- you won't find too many of those in Electron Blue!
    Drove an 02 EX auto tonight. Car looks nice even with unpainted bumper, Tail Lamps are very pretty. Engine sound tinny, unlike old V's Vroom, Vroom... Power is very good at street speed, anywhere under 50mph. It feels as strong as the Tribute. Once I got on the freeway I was immediatly disapointed. This car just doesn't have much go above 60 mph. Acceleration is rather slow even though I floored the pedal. (I need to go back check this again, felt like a piece carpet stopped the pedal from going down.)

Engine noise is down quite a bit, but road noise is very loud. Louder than a Tribute I test drove. Ride also feels bumpier than the Tribute.

Inside looks like good quality material, much better than Tribute's. I don't know what the compaint about visor mirror is about. Looks good to me. Or is it because I've seeing much worse.

Car handles very well, turns corners at good speed, no leaning. Auto Shifter feels strange but can live with it. Seats are better,softer than old. Driving position very good.

Transmission shift silky smooth, invisible operation.

There were 3 groups testing the new V when I got there, Gillman Honda had one silver and one white in today ,White is already sold. When I left the manager said another group is paying MSRP on the silver. I wasn't going to do that on a demo. Manager: It will not be discounted for 3 month.

Headroom with moonroof is good enough for a 6 footer. I can see over the hood very well.

Moonroof is smaller than Tribute's.
    15 inch wheels look fine, not too too small.

Conclusion: This is fine economy utility transportaion. Not falling in love with it but it will do.
    That blue hard spare cover is rare indeed. I was at Gillman Sharpstown, they have 38 01CRV on the lot. About 10 of them blue. Factory must had a final run all painted blue.
    Honda2001.com lists hard spare cover for 02 at $119. Gillman will proly charge me $500 for it. I asked them about cross bars, they want $650. I will online order somewhere else.

Is the top photo taken near the Big Eddy( or is it called Big Muddy) ? at the base of South Jetty.
    the salesman said there's a switch to turn off the side airbags when I wish to. I didn't press on it. Will someone check it out when they go test drive 02.
    EPA mpg is 22/26 on window sticker. Not 22/25 previously forcast.

Tested the horn, very light forces is need to depress the whole coverpad. My old car needs 10 times the force on small area of the coverpad.
  • tmcgill1tmcgill1 Member Posts: 2
    My local dealer in northern Illinois called to let me know the 2002 CR-V's were in. They aren't budging on price (not yet at least). They want MSRP of around 22,400. Is that typical? Will the price come down in coming weeks when the novelty wears off? I don't want to wait too long since winter is nearly here.
  • utopiautopia Member Posts: 24
    Didn't get to drive one yet, so comments are on visuals only: Let me get the most glaring problem out of the way first--I can describe the exterior in one word: UGLY. Raised top rails that travel from rear front give it a "Subara thing" appearance. I like body cladding, but it's poorly done here & chops up the visual lines of the front/rear. (Black is the only color I could consider in the 2002 in hopes it would serve to camouflage.) Redeeming item is the 1-piece rear door-even that could have been better by fitting the spare into the storage well space, thereby giving us a real rear bumper & perhaps even a lift tailgate. Now, to the positive comments: BEST feature is the whopping cargo space when rear seats are folded forward -- WOW is all I can say. Folding tray in front sits more forward w/improved cup holders for all sizes. Ladies you can now put your purse between the front seats behind the tray even with the rear seats folded forward. Lots of front cubbies. I'm only 5'2" & these seats are much better re: leg support. Back cup holders in armrest: BAD-1 lg., 1 sm. right next to each other-not sure you could put lg. & sm. cups @ same time. They should have still included the foldout cup holders in back doors. Like parking brake location; shifter I could live with, but looks like my cousin "Stew Ped." Why they moved it from column beats me! Hopefully, the test drive will be a deciding factor, but for now the jury is still deliberating 2001 vs 2002.
  • pal086pal086 Member Posts: 33
    Few questions for those who have seen/test driven the new CR-V. (our dealers dont have them yet :()

Is the body side cladding standard on the '02 CRV EX or is it an option? The website mentions it as a $429 add-on -- but then they also list the 6-CD changer as an option whereas it should be standard on the EX.

Also are the driver and passenger arm rests standard now or is the passenger arm rest still an option ?

The main problem we had with the '01 CRV was the 'horizontal' bus-like positioning of the steering wheel -- has that improved much in the new model. I read one person mentioning that it has chnaged to a slight extent. Would like some more comments.

Final question -- how advisable is it to go for a car that is in its first year of redsign ? Is there chances of bugs popping up even in Hondas, from whom I would really expect top class reliability. I heard that the redesigned Civic had a suspension problem in the first year.

Thanx for your help.
  • jfavourjfavour Member Posts: 105
    The "bus like" steering wheel has been improved. It is more "normal" now. A dealer near my house had 2 Bronze colored EX's and one dark blue LX. I sat in the EX. The driver and passenger seats both have arm rests as standard equip. I don't have gen 1 CRV but, can you still open the hatch of the new V without opening the rear door? It seemed that in the Gen 1 V you could hit a button from the driver's seat and open the glass hatch. Doesn't seem to be the case any more. The button now unlatches the rear door. Is that right? Did I miss something? Most gen 1 V owners I know loved the utility of being able to pop the glass from the driver's seat.

The tires were Bridgestone Duelers and the vehicle was assembled in Japan.
    LOL, "Subara thing". It does look more like the Forester (which is what I think you meant), but I happen to like it.

Told ya it was the tires. ;-)

Yes, McLaren relied on Honda's 1.5l V6 turbo engine to smoke the competition in F1, mostly running large displacement V10s and V12s. All that with Ayrton Senna behind the wheel.

22/26 was the mileage all along, but for auto only. 22/25 was for the 5 speeds.

-juice
  • tmanmiatatmanmiata Member Posts: 79
    I noticed that another feature added to the 02' CR-V is the Ignition Immobilizer. Is this the same immobilizer as the other Hondas? Is it any good?
  • motormindmotormind Member Posts: 6
    The side cladding is an option, $429 plus install through Honda, $310.80 online if you do it yourself. I wonder how difficult this would be to install?

The 6 disc changer listed on Honda's site is an external changer. The changer in the EX is in-dash.

I believe the passenger armrest is standard on automatics but not on 5 speeds. Haven't seen it as an option.

It's interesting that Honda's Customize section of their website estimates installation costs for accessories.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    We had a customer in last night that went to a dealership in Laurel Md. They are charging almost 26K for the EX. Has anyone been there and can verify this?

Jerry
    The cladding listed on the website is "extra". The EX and LX both come only with what you see in most pics. The pics in the brochure make it look okay. I never would've thought that extra caldding would improve the look of a car, but in this case, it matches the amounts that are up front and in back.

The steering wheel is less bus-like, but you'll have to check for yourself to see if it's enough.

The button to release the glass is on the lower panel of the driver's door. It releases the glass, but not the door. You need to use the outside handle for that.

I wouldn't worry about the CR-V in it's first year. Yes, there may be problems, but certainly not like the Tribape. If the Civic had problems with the front suspension, then you can bet that they also took a look at the CR-V, RSX, and other Civic platform mates.

Both driver and passenger armrests are standard on the automatics, but, as noted before, they are kind of thin.
    I'll never buy a vehicle from them. (I know the dealer you're talking about.) ...And car dealers wonder why they've got such a lousy reputation, and can't seem to shake it...

Bob
    I'm sure the 26k includes a markup and probably lots of accessories. I recall Ourisman Honda had put every accessory in the book on one of their 1998 CR-Vs when I test drove one. They usually put them on a demo car so customers can see them and perhaps order them (padding profits). I'm talking pin stripes, fog lights, wood dash, stuff like that.

I seriously doubt more than one or two of their CR-Vs were priced at $26k. That's insanity.

Reliability should be solid from the get-go. Odyssey had a few speed bumps, but the CR-V has been Honda's most reliable model.

-juice
    my test drive. Enthusiasm has cooled a bit.

The new V is vastly improved over old but it is still underpowered, noisy, bumpy. Compared to Highlander and larger American SUV, one sacrifice a lot of comfort.

I'm still going to buy one but definitely not paying much premium over invoice. The new V is not a blockbuster winner. In fact it is mediocre in everything. Just economy uitility transport.