Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    We have not seen anything official. Expect some "real" news in a month or so, but details like EPA mileage probably won't be certain until the end of the summer.
  • slaigoslaigo Posts: 18
    Check this out

http://world.honda.com/HondaAutomobilesSuisse/

Is the FRV listed here the new CRV 2007
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,744
    No that's a six seater with FWD only. It's designed to compete with the Mazda 5 and Opel Zafira in Europe.
  • smith1smith1 Posts: 283
    Nobody outside of Honda knows what the next CR-V will look like yet -- and the insiders aren't talking. There are various pictures of purported 3rd gen designs circulating on the Web but most if not all are obviously Photoshopped. Honda keeps these things very tightly under wraps until not long before the official introduction.
    Agreed. However, the one generating this discussion is not a chop. Perhaps you missed it.

varmint, "Honda CR-V" #15645, 20 Apr 2006 8:30 am
  • sabenedisabenedi Posts: 1
    At about 84,000 miles- my engine light came on and the car ended up in "limp" mode. I took it straight to the dealer. This car has had every Honda recommended tune-up at the suggested mileage. It had been for the 80,000 mile tune-up/oil change at 81,000 miles. Honda said the problem was that it was short a quart of oil. They recommended that because of my "high mileage" that I should no longer follow the recommended 5,000 mile oil changes and get it changed every 3000 miles. THey could not find a leak. 2,500 miles and my Honda oil was at the fill line (It had been full). I put a quart in (using the 5w-20). There are not any oil spots in my parking spot and the exhaust is clean. There is definitely a leak somewhere. I don't like their recommendation as a car is not supposed to be losing oil. Has anyone else had similar problems? This can be really exspensive to find this problem. And with all the driving that I am doing, constantly monitoring and adding oil doesn't seem like a good solution. What if I'm on a long trip and am not carrying enough oil?
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Posts: 209
    a FRIEND OF MINE HAVE A SET OF RIMS&TIRES FROM A ACCORD EX i THINKS THEY ARE 15'S WILL THEY FIT THE 2002 CRV?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    At about 84,000 miles- my engine light came on and the car ended up in "limp" mode. I took it straight to the dealer. This car has had every Honda recommended tune-up at the suggested mileage. It had been for the 80,000 mile tune-up/oil change at 81,000 miles. Honda said the problem was that it was short a quart of oil. They recommended that because of my "high mileage" that I should no longer follow the recommended 5,000 mile oil changes and get it changed every 3000 miles. THey could not find a leak. 2,500 miles and my Honda oil was at the fill line (It had been full). I put a quart in (using the 5w-20). There are not any oil spots in my parking spot and the exhaust is clean. There is definitely a leak somewhere. I don't like their recommendation as a car is not supposed to be losing oil. Has anyone else had similar problems? This can be really exspensive to find this problem. And with all the driving that I am doing, constantly monitoring and adding oil doesn't seem like a good solution. What if I'm on a long trip and am not carrying enough oil?

Honda specifies 1 quart per 1000 miles as normal. You are losing a quart every 2,500 miles, which is within Honda specifications.

As far as engines not losing oil, every engine loses oil, that is the nature of the lubrication system. Some replace it with combustion by products, and some don't.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    "Honda specifies 1 quart per 1000 miles as normal. You are losing a quart every 2,500 miles, which is within Honda specifications.

As far as engines not losing oil, every engine loses oil, that is the nature of the lubrication system. Some replace it with combustion by products, and some don't."

I had my 2003 CR-V for 44,000 miles, and never had to add oil. I used 5K change intervals per the severe schedule.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    "Honda specifies 1 quart per 1000 miles as normal. You are losing a quart every 2,500 miles, which is within Honda specifications.

As far as engines not losing oil, every engine loses oil, that is the nature of the lubrication system. Some replace it with combustion by products, and some don't."

I had my 2003 CR-V for 44,000 miles, and never had to add oil. I used 5K change intervals per the severe schedule.

Looser engine will let the combustion byproducts into the oil giving you the impression that the oil level does not change. In some exptreme cases, oil level rises with time. This is because combustion byproducts and water condensation make their way into the oil pan.
  • pointatobpointatob Posts: 30
    Hi,

you may already know this or maybe it was posted on a different page, but according to that edmunds spy shot of a crv, (i saw it on insideline) the crv will still be based on the civic chassis while the acura rdx will be based off of the next gen accord platform. this doesn't mean that the rdx can't be smaller than current gen crv though. hopefully, the cargo area in the new crv won't get any smaller. i couldn't get a pic from your previous post; a note said that it had been removed due to high bandwidth....
  • tomf7tomf7 Posts: 1
    My 01 CR-V automatic 33K miles has a what I thought was an exhaust rattle , or buzzing noise that I can hear at 2300rpm most noticeable in overdrive on a flat surface with a slight load on the engine. I can hear it from a dead stop but once for a split second.

It kind of reminds me of a noise you would hear if the air cleaner was off,no noise above or below the specified rpms, I indicated but once you hear the buzzing or rattle if you let off slightly or step on the throttle a bit the noise goes away.

I checked the heat shields around the cat/converter,and for something under the hood to be touching, something loose in the storage compartment inside nothing there I can see.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Tom
    Have the timing belt tensioner checked.
    Nice nick-name. :)

I think the platform thing is a matter of semantics. This "new" platform for the RDX and CR-V appears to share many common features with the new Civic. Yet, there are many differences, as well.

In today's day and age, the term platform means next to nothing. Nissan has FWD and RWD and AWD vehicles on the same "platform". Honda has trucks, SUVs, and minivans being built on the same lines (which should indicate the same platform), yet they have completely different architectures. When the 1999 Ody was first announced, we were told it was based on a highly-modified Accord platform. Now we consider it a separate design. Honda's assembly plants in Ohio have been modified to the point where they can build just about anything, regardless of which platform it is based upon.

How many differences must there be before a platform is considered different than the design which it modified? If the CR-V/RDX share 50% of the assembly process with the Civic, should we consider them the same platform?

In this case, I think we have to give Honda the benefit of the doubt. Since the word "platform" has almost no real meaning anymore, Honda gets to call it whatever they want.

As for pics, try the ones below.

http://us.tnpv.net/pv/2006/04/12/HON2006041230805_pv.jpg

That one shows the RDX cargo bay with the "shelf" removed from the floor. The "shelf" is a large, flat, carpet-covered piece of plastic, which serves as the cargo floor most of the time. However, it may also be placed on top of the metal glides where it serves as both a shelf and cargo cover. It is completely missing in that photo.

Look closely and you'll see that something is missing from the floor (leaving a lip where the shelf normally rests).

http://us.tnpv.net/pv/2006/04/12/HON2006041230918_pv.jpg

Okay, that picture shows the cargo floor with the shelf in place. It's serving duty as a level floor in this pic. When mounted as a shelf/cover, those two string are attached to the hatch. When you open the hatch, the shelf lifts up (like my old 323 hatchback).

The whole arrangement is very similar to what Chevy did with their Equinox.
    "Looser engine will let the combustion byproducts into the oil giving you the impression that the oil level does not change. In some exptreme cases, oil level rises with time. This is because combustion byproducts and water condensation make their way into the oil pan."

Well, I never had my engine oil analyzed, but it never looked dirty at any time in those 44K miles. Personally, I don't think that a 44K Honda engine is "loose". However, I did run the factory oil to 7500 miles, as recommended by Honda.

I should note that before the Honda I had Fords, which went through about 1 quart every 2500 miles. My current Ford has not used any oil yet (3700 miles).
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Nissan has FWD and RWD and AWD vehicles on the same "platform"

I don't think that's correct - the Altima, Maxima, Murano, and Quest use the FM platform, FWD or AWD. The Z, G35, and FX use a different platform, RWD or AWD.

But I don't think you'll find FWD and RWD on the same platform at Nissan.

Any how, the point is valid, we see a lot of variation from a tiny Z coupe to a massive FX45 SUV.

-juice
    The FM is the one underpinning the G35 sedan, coupe, and FX. But the same basic platform is used for FWDers (Altima/Murano), as well.

Go into any thread where a Honda fan defends the TL and RL being FWD-based as a result fo platform-sharing, and you'll find a RWD proponent mentioning that Nissan can do it, so Honda should too.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'm wrong about the name, but I'm pretty sure they are two seperate platforms.

Yeah, Maxima is on the FF-L platform, the rear drivers are indeed FM.

To make things more confusing, the new Altima is now on the D platform. Go figure.

I'm sure they share some parts, though.

-juice
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,252
    In Edmund's take on the new CR-V, they say that it will no longer be competing with the RAV4.

'Cause of the optional V6? The third row? 'Cause the CR-V looks to be staying the same size while the RAV4 grew in size?

That statement seems pretty silly to me. Just from observation, I thought the RAV4 needed to grow to be competitive, while the CR-V is already pretty roomy for its class. And, while having an optional V6 is certainly nice, it doesn't put the RAV4 into a different class, and the bread-and-butter will still be the 4-cyl.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2008 Audi TT - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

"That statement seems pretty silly to me. Just from observation, I thought the RAV4 needed to grow to be competitive, while the CR-V is already pretty roomy for its class. And, while having an optional V6 is certainly nice, it doesn't put the RAV4 into a different class, and the bread-and-butter will still be the 4-cyl."

It isn't the V6. If the sneak peaks are true, the angled the rear roofline, and this is going to reduce the cargo capacity, making the CR-V a COMPACT, rather than midsize SUV. (Unless the increase interior dimensions somewhere else).