Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Towing

2»

Comments

• Boats3,

I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty and will be renting a travel trailer next weekend to attend the Dover race. I'm renting the trailer from Ft Meade and they are telling me The Original Aerolite A21 RDB 20 ft (which I can't find true specs on) is around 4700lbs fully weighed down. I have a tow hitch and electronic braking system and am a bit worried about the 4700lbs. The drive will be flat towing except for driving over the Bay Bridge. I am planning on a slow drive out there but want to make sure the Jeep is capable of this towing. I won't have anything loaded in the trailer, just minimum gas in one tank and will fill up with water when I reach my destination. Should I be worried?
  • Sorry, Mikki don't check in often how did you make out? If it was not to windy you should have been ok. You should have been fine with the weight. The book calls for max 25 foot. I actually just sold my 02 on Friday, had 190,000 miles on it and got 4k. Think I did ok. Went up to a 06 4Runner which did a better job but it was also and 8 cycl.
  • diannekbdiannekb Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty that is rear wheel drive and has a tow hitch. We live in PA and are thinking about purchasing an older trailer, a 1993 Skyline. I am unsure of the weight of the trailer and unsure if my jeep will be able to handle the pulling. Can someone please advise.
  • boats3boats3 Posts: 42
    You need to find out the weight of the trailer. The Liberty is only rated for 5,000lbs. I would get the Skyline weighed first before purchasing, the last thing you want is for the camper to be heavier than what the vehicle is rated for otherwise the tow will be pushing the car. You will also need to get the CIPA extend mirrors to see safely around you. I towed a Passport to Lake George from NJ last year and had no problems so if the total weight of the camper loaded is less than 5000 you will be ok. However I needed a new car and purchased a 4 Runner which does tow alot better. Good Luck but do it safe, I am sure you will be able to go, but stopping is more important.
  • My Liberty CRD tows like a dream, but when I hit a really steep hill, the temp. gauge goes to the top. It cools down immediately once I hit the top of the hill. Any comments? I live in NM at 5000 ft. elevation, and there's nowhere to take a boat that doesn't require going up steep hills. I pulled my 3000 lb. boat and trailer from Spokane to Albuquerque with no issues. I have a 1-1/2 inch lift kit and Goodyear LT 245/75-R16 tires. I was getting a flat tire a week driving gravel roads with the car tires that come from the factory. I love the vehicle, but it makes me nervous to have it overheat that drastically, even for a short time.
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,350
    Several people reported a bug in the processing of the engine temperature displayed on the console. In case the engine really over heats, you will be notified by the engine malfunction indicator and the injection system will turn itself off. Try to use the engine above 2000 rpm when you torque it; this will improve horsepower + cooling + life of the torque converter.
    I also live in a mountain area and I know diesels need to breathe to provide the extra effort. I have close to 100,000 miles and this engine performs better than it did when I got it new :shades:
    For info: During 4 hours at a steady 80 mph with 3 passengers plus luggage and 90 degrees Fahrenheit (in the shade), the temperature indicator needle did not pass over the mid temperature line.
    For "lightnin3": my tire pressure was 39psi ;)
  • Thanks, it makes me feel better to learn that there is a malfunction indicator and shutoff system.

I have a friend with the same vehicle and he said there was a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) out and they fixed his, but he couldn't remeber the details. I asked the dealer and they said "huh?". I did some looking on another forum, and they show TSB 08-043-05 as reprogramming the software so the gauge shows the correct temperature.

It sounds fishy to me, because of the abrupt runup from straight up to far right on the gauge and it only happens when towing uphill.

I'll go back to the dealer with the TSB number and see what I get.
2»
This discussion has been closed.