Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler and Fiat - Italian-American Flavor?

1235»

Comments

• stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    Are you serious? OBAMA is creating a country of dog eat dog? Dude, where the heck have you been for the last couple of decades? Ever heard of ENRON, WorldCom, AIG?
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,679
    Ever heard of ENRON, WorldCom, AIG?

The Corporate world has always been Dog eat Dog. Obama is bringing it down to the man on the street. He is pitting you and I against our neighbors. When the price of food goes to where only the upper middle class and above can afford to eat you will understand what I am saying. When your utility bills are more than you can afford due to his Cap n Trade you will understand. When your wages are garnished to pay for a poorly run Federal health care plan it will become clear. When taxes are raised to pay for a bunch of worthless stimulus and bailouts it will bankrupt US all.

We could debate who gained from company failures for months and probably not agree. Ebbers will be in prison till 2028 for the MCI Worldcom Fraud, along with several others. Ken Lay died before serving time for the Enron scam. How many will go to prison over the AIG fraud?
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    So Mr. Mourdock is of the opinion that a large company can never fail, and should never be allowed to? Why have many large companies failed in the past, and somehow we've all survived and prospered?

I say pull down the Chrysler signs, have Cerberus give back the loan money to Chrysler, sell the auto plants and tooling to someone like Penske, and start the auto companies over. If Fiat wants part of Chrysler let them bid for them at the Ch7 auction.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    If it was my pension I would want him to do his best. Will the Mayor of Kokomo help out the pensioners that lose their money in the faux Chrysler C11?

So you would be happy if your RETIREMENT investment manager bought junk bonds on a hunch? Remember Chrysler's credit rating was B- at the time they purchased these municipal bonds. Their rating was lowered to CCC later that month. Where is the responsibility of the investment manager in all of this mess?
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    I think you're really minimizing the point that the managers knew that there was a certain pecking order to the assets in the bankruptcy law. Now the government is coming in and saying that in this particular case that they are suspending the law in this case, and that they will do what they like. That is rather dictatorial don't you think?

To me this whole bailout stinks, bankruptcy, sale in the auto and financial markets stinks of corruption and influence/power. The common person has lost wealth in real estate, investments, salary and jobs, and is threatened with higher taxes and loss of their contributions to social security; all to protect the wealth and power of the political and wealthy classes.

Our society has allowed the government to tax us in hundreds of ways, take a large share of GDP, and put it's tentacles into every aspect of our lives, and now we have a society too numb and impotent to say or do much against this corporate/government alliance that makes laws as it wants, and breaks promises.

Maybe tomorrow we'll wakeup and read that the government has lowered it's debt by only agreeing to pay $0.50 on the dollar on its Treasury Bills? Why not, right? All for the common good?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915

I think you're really minimizing the point that the managers knew that there was a certain pecking order to the assets in the bankruptcy law. Now the government is coming in and saying that in this particular case that they are suspending the law in this case, and that they will do what they like. That is rather dictatorial don't you think?

My point is there are more people to blame than Presidents Obama and Bush. The money from the Indiana pension fund should never have been invested in bonds for Chrysler. Chrysler credit rating was B-. No competent investment manager invest pension funds in junk bonds. I am not well versed in bankruptcy. All I know is when Hank Paulson told Congress he needed $700 Billion dollars to save the banking system, the rules changed! You want to forget we are in the middle of a very deep recession caused by greed, deception, corruption, lackadasical oversight, and lies. We were not practicing capitalism the last decade. it was more "get what you can at anyone's expense". You want to forget we have 9.4% unemployment that can easily skyrocket to over 12% with a failure of GM and Chrysler. You want to forget that home foreclosures are still happening at alarming rates. Not a good thing no matter who you believe is to blame. Your answer to all of this is "let them fail, someone else will step in and we will be fine."

To me this whole bailout stinks, bankruptcy, sale in the auto and financial markets stinks of corruption and influence/power. The common person has lost wealth in real estate, investments, salary and jobs, and is threatened with higher taxes and loss of their contributions to social security; all to protect the wealth and power of the political and wealthy classes.

We agree but I have witnessed first hand the wealthy and powerful lose their wealth as well. This recession is touching everyone. The Madoff's and Stanford's of the investment world screwed over everyone who had enough money to invest in them. (watching the Stanford story on CNBC, what an arrogant a** wipe)

Agree that some of the taxes bother me. But I expected this way back in February 2008 when the media finally focused on the economy during the primaries.

We are living in strange times. I am hopeful we can turn this spending around in a couple of years. Bernanke's message to Congress last week will hopefully wake them up. Who knows? All I can control is my household finances. That is going well and should be out of debt in 14-18 months (minus the house). I figure I can handle anything the government can throw at me. ;)
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    Interesting article about warranty accruals and claims made. Fiat had unrealistically low claims rates but newer numbers look more typical. The accrual rates of Fiat, BMW and Daimler were almost the same in both 2005 and 2008.

WarrantyWeek
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    edited May 2010
    the new Fiat-sler Giardinetta "wagon". Car~nuts this may indeed be my next car purchased if Fiat-sler brings it to the NA market. Whoo-hoo! 4-doors and a nice shade of red with that trademark 500 bodystyle, too? Yes!

Here's what will keep my dream going, too. A 5 or 6-speed tranny, or a competent automatic CVT tranny. Boy howdy!

What could actually happen production wise is a more blunted C-pillar, one that has the roof going back a tad further and then the slant coming in towards the rear wheels. But who knows right now, car fiends. That might break the 500 tradition and I'm sure Fiat doesn't want anything ta do with doing that. I am really excited about this and I sure hope Fiat...I...I mean Fiat-Sler ;) will build this puppy in the Midwestern U.S. and sell it here. I'll have ta check and see where my nearest Chrysler dealer is. Elko might just have one. Wow. This changes everything baby! What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, baby!

I will be following this one like Gary Payton all over Michael Jordan in the NBA playoffs. And that is close for those of you not possessing your thinking caps.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

1235»
This discussion has been closed.