Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legacy GT v. Spec B v. Mazdaspeed 6

Comments

• cool post :shades: thanks for sharing!!!
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    It must have been an R/T, not an SRT-8. The SRT-8 does a 13.0-13.5 1/4 mile, and 0-60 in 5 seconds. I will almost gaurantee that it was an R/T, with SRT-8 badges.

How gratifying is it beating an American V8 with a [non-permissible content removed] turbo4?? I happen to eat it up myself!! :shades:
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    No offense but he wasn't on it. I instructed in a SRT8 Charger this weekend at VIR. I've driven a LGT on track and the SRT8. In the turns, the LGT will be all over the SRT8 but in the straights like from a light, not a chance in hell!

He was being gentle on you, also the SRT8 has way better brakes.

It is also $45k though.

-mike
  • turbodturbod Posts: 10
    well for starters he was the one wanted race me ... so he was defintely on it. I know I had my radio turned down all I heard was a sreaming v8 on my rear quarter. As I said earlier post we started from a red light but was a long left turn sweeper with both lanes before going straight, so this is where I had the advantage. A 13.2 car can become 14.0 car real easy if you cant hook up. So this is where the balanced performance of the GT kept him from blowing by me. Dont forget AWD doesnt smoke the tires from a dead stop it just goes. Not bad for $ 24k. Made me laugh when I let off and he went by me he took a long look at me in the rear view and he kept on it all way 120 +.We all know SRT 8 has more power and is faster..but to me its about balanced performance.

Mike your a driving instructor ? You own a Subie ?

I was thinking if I was in a STI he would have had no chance. Go Subie !
    Fun hearing your replies !
    Yup, I've been instructing for years at tracks in the NE, mostly Watkins Glen, VIR, Summit Point, Limerock, Pocono. Started doing track days with my SVX and then my Automatic 96 Impreza L, converted that to a race car and did a few races. Then started tracking my 94 Legacy Turbo. We just completed converting it over to a full race car and were down at VIR last weekend racing.

Again, the driver didn't know how to drive as I was in an SRT8 this past weekend and it'll take a LGT any day in anything but the twistiest of turns stock for stock.

-mike
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    That's a great vote of confidence. You can't argue against actual experiences.

So how do other Subies fare in stock form?

Ken
  • Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered the depreciation, but I think the 2005 GT would represent a better value than a 2006 2.5i.

I may have to give the Mazdaspeed6 another look; it may be worth stretching the budget!

Overall, I have more confidence in the LGT than the MS6, since Subaru has been using the same platform and drivetrain for years. The MS6 seems more like a "specialty" vehicle, and I wonder how it will hold up in the long run.

FWIW, I got insurance quotes on both a 2005 LGT and 2004 G35, and the amounts are very close. They're actually cheaper to insure than my P5!

BTW, the G35 sedan is offered with a manual. I actually found a 2003 for sale locally. The problem is that most of them have the automatic. I have the same frustration with the Altima--it is offered with a stick, but it seems there are very few available.

Thanks again,

Greg
    But the G35x is AT only :(

By the way, I'm now in the market for a used LGT as a daily driver. :)

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yup, for some reason the AWD G35x models only come in automatic. :(

-juice
    Wow cool, sounds like alot of fun. You go to a school for instructor ? You race in sanction events in a series ? Or just track day races ? Saw some races on SPEED CHANNEL had legacys racing with acura, mazdas bmw, etc..but since havent seen no subies racing with those cars. Like to see Subaru do some road racing.

Well anyway that Dodge guy can have his SRT8 I will stick with my LGT and keep the $21k diffrence in my pocket.
    Not to mention superb handling in the rain and oh yes I can drive in the snow too ! lol. :shades:
    Yeah I did about 50 track days before I became an instructor. Overall I've done about 300 or so HPDE events, it's great fun. I'm also liscenced to race with NASA and do some road racing events. This year we actually got the team together and Adam is driving the 94 Legacy in the PTE class of racing with NASA and I'm managing/coaching/crewing/owning/funding the whole operation.

I'm looking for a LGT for my daily driver, the SRT8 is nice but not $45k nice. :)

-mike
  • njjulianonjjuliano Posts: 83
    Also G35 Sedan doesn't come in a MT.

-mike

That sedan does come in manual, though. I have one. But as noted, it was hard to find. Did you mean the x, as you menionted in a later post?
    Yes, sorry, I'm so AWD centric, that I meant to say G35x w/manual isn't available.

-mike
    Not sure what part of the country you live Mike..but in Memphis there is 1 LGT sedan 2005 for sale at a dealer.
    Black, grey int,auto 43k miles asking $18,985.00.

LOL..today I saw Mr SRT8 again same area but this time we were going opposite directions I was coming off the hiway he was going on hiway.Damn too bad was raining today would have loved pulled up next to him lol..he was looking over as I passed by going other direction. He must work near me stayed tuned ! lol.
    I'm in NY but I've gotten cars as far away as TX. :)

I'm looking for an MT 05 or 06 Sedan or Wagon GT or GT Limited. I may go new but figure I'll put the money aside and then take it from there.

-mike
    Thought you might be looking for MT.

Just saw the consumer reports rankings for autos reported by USA TODAY.
    Anyone see it yet ?
    Mercedes ranks last for reliability.
    Bmw was rated as bad bets too.
    Top rated was Toyota,Honda,and Subaru.
    :shades:
    Forester,Impreza,Legacy and Outback and had top ratings .
    Subaru has done well lately. Besides the pre-2002 head gaskets, and maybe some first-gen Forester wheel bearings, there really hasn't been a major pattern of problems with any particular car.

The results don't surprise me at all, in fact they're consistent with what I've observed on these boards.

-juice
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,276
    Not to read too much into it, but I greatly suspect the 07 headlight assemblies are generally flawed when it comes to moisture retention, but at least that is a minor issue and does not affect the mechanical integrity of the car! :D
    Not sure where CR would categorize something like that. Maybe under "Body Hardware"?

-juice
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,276
    You got me there.... I have never even looked a CR! :blush:
This discussion has been closed.