Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn VUE

dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
Looks like the Saturn SUV will be coming out in
fall 2001 as a 2002 model. See www.saturn.com or
www.saturnfans.com for details. I was wondering if
anyone out there knew more about this SUV. The
pictures look great if it's as good as it sounds,
it may make it into our garage next year. The
official unveiling in October at a Florida car
show.

Details? I want more info!

Comments

• is the new Saturn SUV based on the L series or the S series ?
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    As far as I can tell, neither.

There is a great picture of it in the November Car and Driver. The standard engine is the L-series 2.3L 4cyl. with an optional V6. This SUV looks like a winner in every way. The only bad thing is the name. It will be called the Saturn "SUV".

www.saturn.com has a preview. The official unveiling in next week in Florida.
  • jbrew7jbrew7 Posts: 17
    In reading that same article from C&D, I thought they said that the Saturn SUV is expected to be released anytime. I could have just misread the article. I hope its soon, I would really like to get my hands on one of these. It looks really nice and sounds even better.
  • sr_bodysr_body Posts: 23
    It's actually going to be based on the same platform as the other S-truck series GM makes - Blazer, Jimmy, Bravada, Envoy, X-Treme, S-10 trucks, the future Isuzu Rodeo, etc. The updated versions coming out (2001-2002 models) will all share the same frame, engine options, & transmission.
  • Good looking! But is this a wannn-bee in terms of
    being a truck? What is space frame construction?
    Is that a frame under there? Don't see anything
    sticking out below the chasis(for a change). Where did the low gear go? Looks like light duty to me. But wish them well. I always liked Saturn and GM. My kid has an 88 Blazer, runs great.
    I agree with you, this is probably no serious off roader. Then again, most SUVs are being built for the suburban family, not the park ranger. I'm sure it will be ok, but not heavy duty.

I really hope this one turns out to be as good as it looks cause I will be in the market for one of these smaller SUVs next year when one of our leases is up. Knowing Saturn, I'm sure it will be fine. Hopefully they will have one I can sit in at the Toronto auto show this year.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    Given that Saturn, as unnecessary a division of GM as Oldsmobile, has been hurting saleswise of late, is it really in GM's best interest to lauch yet another redundant vehicle? Why another SUV from a company that already markets (by my count) TEN other SUVs, most of which are already duplicates of other divisions' products? Instead of spending more money marketing yet another vehicle that will sit unwanted on dealers' lots, a la L-Series, why not divert that money into making its already existing product line better, and while they're at it, cut some other non-essential divisions as well? (Olds and Buick come immediately to mind.) The SUV market is saturated already, and GM is arrogant enough to think that the world needs another one, and a Saturn, at that.
    GM truly has its corporate head up its [non-permissible content removed], and this new, totally unneeded product is yet another symptom of a greater problem that doesn't look like it's going to go away any time soon. Wake up, GM. We don't want 14 cup holders, glitzy commercials, and touchy-feely love-ins in Tennesee. How about a car whose dashboard screws don't back out of their sockets on a test drive, or body panels that line up correctly, or interiors that don't look like there should be a "PlaySkool" or "Hasbro" sticker on it? How about that, GM? Oh, and while you're at it, get the stylists over at Pontiac off the crack pipe. The Aztek is an embarrasment to your company. That thing is so ugly Peugot wouldn't even want to call it their own. So, instead of launching yet another redundant product, fix the ones you have, realize that people don't buy cars based on blind brand loyalty any more, and give me a reason to buy American again. Thank you.
    While GM does have a lot of trucks in it's line up already, the fact is this is a still growing segment of the industry. Keep in mind, trucks/ vans are 50%+ of vehicle sales. Further, the small SUV market (where GM only has the Tracker at this point) is expected to DOUBLE in the next 5 years. There is absolutely nothing redundant about this truck and Saturn's high customer satisfaction should ensure it's success.

You obviously (from your comments and posts you have made elsewhere) are anti-American car and anti-GM. I don't think your tone is constructive and if you want to be rude, go to the Aztek form where that seems to be acceptable.
    Yeah, I know I got off on a rant. Originally I was merely critizing the Saturn SUV, but it turned into something much broader. Won't happen again, at least in this forum.
    I've never made any secret about being anti-GM, or anti-Big 3 for that matter.
  • I'm in the market for one of those SUV pavement crawlers, and I've driven the Escape/Tribute which seems like a fine vehicle, but after looking at the Saturn SUV, I now want to wait for a test drive and then make an informed buying decision. Its definitely on my consideration list.
    I really like the Ford Escape/ Mazda Tribute a lot. These are probably the best smaller SUV choices out there right now. The new RAV4 looks ok, but no V6 is available which is a big drawback. I think it will be a choice between the Saturn and the Ford/Mazda for me.
  • Hi folks,

Here's some Saturn SUV information (and corrections to previously posted stuff).

CHASSIS : All new platform designed spcifically for Saturn SUV. It is not sharing it's frame/structure with the next gen of Blazers, Jimmys, etc. Those vehicles (which will now actually be called Trailblazer, Envoy - no more Jimmy name, & Bravada) are being stepped up a notch to a Durango size to offer a 3rd row of seating. Also, those new gen Blazers, etc. will be getting GM's brand new I-6 engine.

FRAME : Should be body-on-frame, not unibody construction. Will have polymer side panels, like other Saturns.

POWERTRAIN : ENGINES - Base, 2.2L 4 cyl. (also offered as the base engine on Saturn L-series) Optional, 3.0 54-degree V6 (also offered as the option on Saturn L-series). TRANSMISSIONS - Continuously variable transmission (CVT) offered with 4 cyl. engine. Electronic, 4-speed step transmission available with V6. Manual trans also available. FWD & AWD available.

OTHER STATS :
    Length: 181.3 in.
    Width: 71.5 in.
    Height: 66.3 in.
    Wheelbase: 106.6 in.
    Curb weight 3172 lbs. to 3470 lbs.
    Towing capacity: 1,500 lbs. (4-cylinder); 2,500 lbs. (V6)
  • ratoxratox Posts: 12
    Check out this website for all the details:

http://www.saturnfans.com/cars/future/suv-features.html

It will have a space frame (unit construction) with full length frame rails. Sort of a hybrid, I suppose. And a five-speed automatic with the V-6. I need to drive one with the CVT for sure. I hope Saturn lets me use my GM Card savings, or they can forget it. Can't let it go to waste.
    It's weird that in the U.S. you can't use the GM card at Saturn. In Canada we can use the GM card on any Saturn, Saab and Isuzu model which makes the points much more flexible. I will be using mine if I buy the Saturn SUV (though I probably won't have many as we just used them all earlier this year).
  • I feel the same way (message 14/17) about these vehicles. The Saturn SUV seems a little larger than the Escape/Tribute and RAV4, if the the dimensions given are accurate. I too prefer a V-6 engine as my choice over a 4 banger. These vehicle seem to be hitting the same market area and my current taste trends. I look forward to comparing them - Escape/Tribute/Saturn SUV

WHAT IS THE RELEASE DATE FOR THE SATURN SUV....
    BEST REGARDS EVERYONE.....
    I believe the Saturn SUV will be released late summer 2001.
  • The Saturn SUV should go on sale November'ish 2001.

Also, I think someone also posted that the vehicle will be called "Saturn SUV". My understanding is that the vehicle will have a name of its own, like the Blazer, Explorer, etc. It won't be an alpha-numeric designation like the other Saturn vehicles (a la SC2, L100, etc.) I'll bet the name will be finalized by the Detroit Auto Show in January, if not sooner.