Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Axiom Transmission Problems

Comments

• Hi, I have a 2002 and we have experienced times when travelling at constant speed, the TOD lights will flash and the transmission will shift up or down. This can be very disconcerting :(

We have had the vehicle back to the dealer 3 times but they cant reproduce the problem. We have been told it may be a defective speed sensor but since the computer doesn't register any fault codes, the dealer won't do anything.

My wife is ready to have us get rid of the vehicle. Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • boomenboomen Posts: 1
    I have an '02 Axiom and when driving I experience a very noticeable vibration (like you're driving over shallow rumble strips) when the rpm's are between 1500 and 1800 at about 40mph. I tried coasting at different speeds and have determined that it's not the tires or wheel bearings. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea of what it may be? Thanks.

- For a brief history, I now have 107K on the car and had the tranny replaced under warranty at 65K and the engine replaced under warranty at 85K. -
    :confuse:
  • Hi everyone

I`m Revaz from Tbilisi, Georgia.
    I have an `04 Axiom and it has problems with Transmission, I want to buy it but i could not know where i can it buy. Please give me some advises where i can it buy
  • I was driving down the highway when my 02 Axiom started making a bunch of noise. It sounded like it was coming from the transmission or transfer case, but then it stopped. It sounded like some SUVs with really strong 4WD systems sound when engaged in 4WD at high speed. Mine however was not. The sound then stopped for several seconds when the Car suddenly made a loud bang and started braking and came to a rather abrupt halt. The rear tires will not longer rotate and the engine, while starting, sends all of its power into oblivion. Anybody else run into this problem?
  • Hi all
    I am about to buy an AXIOM 2002 2 WD but the Automatic transmission is DEAD. Could any body tell me where to buy it from and how much would it cost. I live in LIBYA and there are no dealeres who sell spare parts for this car.

thanks
  • 108,000 miles and the trans was jinking around slightly then started to slip going from 2nd to 3rd. This was Friday late afternoon so I called the dealer on Monday. And drove in Tuesday AM. Almost didn't make it. Lost all drive line connection and had to pull over. I waited 5 minutes and it drove just fine so I made it to the dealer. Will get free new (not refurb) transmission. Also my gas gauge sending unit had failed and I dreaded replacing it but I found out that was also covered under the 125,000 mile drive-train warranty. I'm the original owner so I'm happy, but wondering what's going to go next. Still think the 4L30E transmission is a good transmission, perhaps it's how it is utilized in the Axiom with the TOD. Cadillac, BMW, Chevy, and Postal service trucks don't seem to have the trans issues with the 4L30E. Anyway I'd thought I'd let you all know the bad - good news.

Bert
  • The 4L30E is made in France, Southern I think so there should be some available new and refurbished across the Mediterranean.

Check to see if the 4WD and 2WD use the same Trans.

Regards
    Bert
  • wkazwkaz Posts: 2
    Where can I get one of those 2100 page shop manuals on cd
  • If that thummping happens when you start or stop you need new packing in your drive line gear box...
  • I have th manual in pdf format if you need it.
  • My 2002 Isuzu has "check transmission" light coming on every time I go over a small bump ... then it goes off after a few jerks ... I DO NOT recommend buying an Isuzu bran vehicle of any sort (lawn mower or truck) ... you have to be brain dead to buy any thing called Isuzu.
  • drk51drk51 Posts: 1
    can anyone tell me if there is a 2002 Isuzu Axiom tansmission recall?
  • There is no such recall, although many of us on this forum would agree that perhaps there should be one! I experienced problems with mine at 40K miles that were covered under the 120,000 mile powertrain warranty. Bert's tranny failed at 108K and was replaced under that same warranty. But, if you are not the original owner, you are up a creek with no paddle.

Still, if maintained zealously- if you use synthetic tranny fluid and change it often, the Axiom's 4L-30E transmission should last quite a while. Still, several Axiom owners have reported premature failures. (And should do so on the NHTSA website, so that a recall might actually take place.)

Some of the problem may be related to the the quality of the transmission (which is supposed to be quite good) and some to the confusion in the owner's manual about not having to change the fluid until the 120K mark, which differs from what is stated in the Axiom Technical Service Manual , which specifies that you should change the transmission fluid "Every 20,000 miles (32,000 km)".

The 2002 Axiom Service Manual goes on to say, "Under harsh operating conditions, such as constant driving in heavy city traffic during hot weather, or in hilly or mountainous terrain, change the transmission fluid and service the sump filter after every 20,000 miles (32,000 km) of operation. More over, the remaining life percentage of ATF can be estimated by using TECH–II as an auxiliary tool to judge the right time for ATF replacement. The remaining life percentage is calculated from ATF’S heat history. When it is close to 0%, ATF replacement is recommended."

I'll bet just about nobody does that, or even thought of it. Worse, there is no tranny dipstick, so you have to jack up the car and remove a plug to check the fluid level, and remove two plugs to change it - definitely not an easy DIY task.

What transmission problems have you experienced and what did you have to do to fix it?
  • Could I also get that manual
  • jurejure Posts: 2
    Could you send me the manul plz???
  • I have an 02 Axiom. I always took it to the dealer with a certified Isuzu tech for the required maintanence. I was never told about changing the transmission fluid every 20,000. This year it started making a noise & slipping between gear shifts. We took it in, only to be told by a reputable transmission shop that the transmission was toast - found pieces of clutch plate and other damage. It needed a complete rebuild. The Y bar also needed to be replaced. $2700 dollars later......
  • Could I possibly get a copy of the pic and diagrams for changing the transmission fluid or a copy of that file PLease.
  • raycrraycr Posts: 1
    Yeste3rday i took a trip with my family on a heavy terrain and hot weather. As soon as we were heading back home i re3ceive a red light stating A /TOIL Temp message after driving slower for a few miles the light went away. Would you know what caused this message to prompt and how can i avoid in the future to get? If possible can you send me also the service manual i am from Costa Rica and cant even get it at the dealer since i imported the car.
  • mdimdi Posts: 4
    I have 02 Axiom 4wd (54000 miles)
    . I'd like to know if anyone has tried changing their transmission fluid. I mean flush and refill. Please advise.
  • cptsessocptsesso Posts: 116
    If you mean on my own then no...If you mean have someone else do it then yes. I go to the local AAMCO shop and let them do it every 30k. Seems like it is more of a pain to try to do it yourself.