Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy Wagon Hesitation problem

2»

Comments

• saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 680
    My 97 Legacy had the same problem. The cure (after much trouble with the dealer) was replacing the knock sensor.

Needless to say, I bought my 2005 Outback 3.0R from a different dealer.
  • chinookcptchinookcpt Posts: 3
    Since I've already changed my nock sensor 2 weeks ago, I'm looking elsewhere... Did your "trouble dealer" do something else or did he tried something else before changing the knock? That could maybe help me troubleshooting the damn car...

Thanks
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 680
    I seem to remember that mounting the sensor on the engine had to be done correctly for proper operation. Details have gone from memory

Did you replace the knock sensor yourself or did the dealer do it?
  • chinookcptchinookcpt Posts: 3
    I did it, but the proper way. Anyway, my hesitation problem begun before I changed my knock sensor, and I had a CEL saying the knock was out of range. I changed it, deleted the code, and it hasn't re-appeared during my Montreal-NY city - Montreal trip last week-end... So I am pretty sure that I installed it correctly, still looking for the problem though..!
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,278
    Now that you have the knock sensor replaced, perhaps it is a good time to reset the ECU/TCU memory so it can relearn your driving habits. If you want to try it, you can easily do it by pulling the battery cable for a while to let the system backup power drain.
  • stopped running on hwy yesterday...no signs of any issues at all...no noises...nothing! mechanic 2day tells me timing belt...replaces belt and starts it up...2 out 4 cylinders are running...he tells me they are shot...everyone is telling he is nuts! no way this could be...it made no noise! we even tried turning it over yesterday and didnt grind or seize or nothing....Is guy trying to take me for a ride? Getting a second opinion hopefully tomorrow....Any suggestion?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,278
    What engine does it have in it? 2.2L or 2.5L? The 2.2L is a non-interference engine, so there should be no damage due to snapped timing belt. There may be other damage, like a camshaft or crankshaft position sensor, that is causing the lack of spark in those two cylinders (which two are they?). If it is the 2.5L engine, that is an interference engine (meaning the the pistons can contact the valves and cause physical damage if they are out of phase). However, there would be noise... a very painful, crunchy noise... if this happened. I would double check to make sure the belt is aligned on the camshafts and crankshaft correctly first (it can be a pain in the butt if the belt broke, because the camshaft sprockets go all which-a-way), then look to make sure there is no physical damage to the sensors.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Plus it sounds like that mechanic created the problem, so I still might go to a different one, who knows boxer engines.
  • I have a 2007 Impreza. Got it at 6000 miles. At around 30k miles 4th gear acted like the syncro was gone and grinding. It did this for 5 or 6 k miles. The very day I took it to the dealer it stopped grinding and started working as it should.. It stayed that way until about 58k miles and has done it ever since. It now has 67k on it. Any thoughts?
  • Have you looked into the TPS (throttle position sensor) my 98 subarau legacy 2.2L had the same issues and i put a new TPS in it and it seemed to solve the problem.
2»