Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a Used Sienna

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I strongly recommend the new 2007 models, because of the 3.5l engine. It had more reserve power and torque, but more importantly the gas mileage is the same on the EPA scale, and perhaps a bit better in the real world.

I only have about 1800 miles, but still, my mileage has been excellent.

My last full tank I averaged 25.1mpg, and this is actual miles traveled divided by fuel used, the slightly optimistic trip computer read 25.5mpg.

We took a drive to Six Flags and for that trip we got 27.6 mpg. Then we drove from DC to Ocean City, MD, and got 28.8 mpg. Coming back, all highway, I averaged 29.8 mpg. It just keeps getting better.

At one point, all highway, speeds of 50-65 mph, the trip computer actually read 31.3 mpg, average, not instant. That dropped when my speeds picked up. That was the 29.8mpg trip I mentioned above.

If these numbers sound good, I suggest a 2007 model. You can get a CE for $22k brand new. The rebate is $1500 right now. An LE will cost a tad more, but people are getting package 3s for under $25k now, which is still great.

That's $4 grand above your budget, but remember you'll have longer warranty coverage and get it back at resale anyway.
  • siennamisiennami Posts: 116
    Now what exactly is a package 3? I always get confused by the different packages.... ;) The reason I want used is I'm cheap. Property taxes for a brand-new Toyota will be out of this world in my hometown! :P
    Thanks for your advice. I saw on the dealership website the different '07s that they have there, and I have to admit that a brand-new Sienna is very tempting+they offer a lifetime warranty on their new vehicles.
    Never mind, I saw what the Pkg. 3 is, and whew! Nice things, but in any case..... I'm not sure that I'll be in a Sienna anytime soon... My "upside-down-ness" is a deal breaker, for sure! :cry:
    Keep in mind the brochure is a little off. Actually, it's more than a little off.

Package 3 includes power seats, though the brochure says it doesn't. Trust me, mine has them, they're included.

Basically, though, you get power doors on both sides and the safety feature I wanted most - stability control. Alloy wheels and rear discs, too, so it looks good and stops nicely. Rear pads are easier to change, too.

Pkg 3 basically pushes the content from Odyssey LX levels to Odyssey EX levels, for not much money. It's a great value, IMHO.
    Okay... where did you find a CE for that price? I went and test drove one in Columbia, SC today, and the selling price was over $25k. I couldn't find an LE for under $25k. Not only that, they had an CE on the lot that had a drop-down dvd player in it, which jacked its price up to over $28k. All-in-all, I was looking at $30k, and they wanted a $1,300 downpayment, which I just don't have at the moment. Shame, though, because the driver's seat is just wonderful for my back. The Kia's driver's seat can't compare in any shape or form. I really could kick myself, because I am really physically hurting right now, and when I think of having to drive for long periods of time..... Now, I will have to say that I was disappointed in the lack of certain amenities in that vehicle. For example, no privacy glass. What is up with that?? And, I still can't believe they had a CE on the lot for over $28k. The dealer from Florence has contacted me, and I'm wondering if I should even waste my time and his traveling over there. If I do, I'm going to print out that information about TMV and have it in hand. I think that the only one that I can afford right now is the CE, which is fine. Like I said, I was loving that driver's seat. They were willing to give me $15k as a trade-in allowance, but I am just too upside-down.

Thanks for your advice!

Michelle :D
    Shop here:

fitzmall.com

Fitzgerald Toyota has no-haggle prices, just add $99 for processing because their prices even include freight.

I actually got an e-quote from 355Toyota.com that was a little bit lower, and ended up buying mine there.

Get quotes from them, then ask local dealer to beat their prices (watch out for added fees).

It might even be worth making the trip up to MD if local CEs do cost $25k, because I think at fitz they are $22k or even less.
  • We found a 2005 Sienna LE minian that has 117,000 km in London, Ontario, Canada. The dealer is asking for $15,995. The van had a major service that has been performed at the dealership and had new brake pads installed.

We are concerned about the high kms. Please let me know your comments on the milage and asking price.

Thanks, Sri.
    That's about 70k miles, not too bad.

Plus, they must be a lot of trip miles given how quickly they accumulated.

I really have no idea about the used car market in Canada, but I'd expect the 3.3l V6 to be good for a long, long time before any major rebuild, probably 200k miles. It was a very robust engine, and never had the issues the 3.0l predecessor had (sludge).
  • I am in the same boat that you are..i found some info online this mornging in the," idaho examiner" their Sienna they use for on the job work, starting sputtering and making odd smells...long and short of it...Toyota along with a few other companies have sludge prblems...oil that bogs down/up and makes a sludge like gue in your engine...$6,000 repair...ouch!
    toyota has know about it for years and has not changed it yet...paid out class-action suits up to 2002 and now they words things in contracts that make it real hard to re-coup any $$$....
    The old 3.0l V6 was affected, but the 3.3l V6 was OK, and the new 3.5l 2GR is from a new engine family.

Not sure what you mean about "not changed it yet"? The engine has been upgraded/replaced twice. :confuse:

Also, they extended the warranty on those to 100k miles.
  • kimikokimiko Posts: 2
    hi there-i'm writing in reference to edmunds' toyota sienna minivan review. edmunds mentioned that the siennas mfg after february 2005 had improved sidebeams and airbags. i called toyota to find the exact date this change occurred as we are shopping for used siennas and wanted the safest one possible. they were not able to find any information on these improvements so i was wondering if you could give me some more info or a contact person to help me find an answer to my question.
    thank you,
    kimiko
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    I don't believe they have "exact" mfg dates. So anything March and beyond should be fine.
  • kimikokimiko Posts: 2
    thanks for the info.
    but i was wondering whether anyone been able to confirm whether edmunds is correct about the delay in the safety improvements bec toyota says the improvements apply to the whole model year, regardless of mfg date.
    thanks again!
    I would expect it would be a model year thing. Check the VIN to be sure, the 8th digit from the right tells you the model year. 4 would be 2004, 5 for 2005, etc.
  • amazing4amazing4 Posts: 1
    I want to import 1999 Toyota sienna ce from usa to canada.
    Is there any modification required to meet canadian standards?
    Any more INFO on this,PLEASE
  • kjokjo Posts: 24
    It was a one owner lease return.I'm not sure what the package is exactly. It has daytime running lights, DVD, JBL, power door (passenger), alloy wheels, rear disc brakes, 115v power outlets, home link, trip computer, heated mirrors. Basically the same as our old 2005 LE that was rear ended on the freeway by semi and totaled. This one is silver with 32k,and new Yokahoma's, the old one was gold with 43k and had new Michelins /w about 4k on them. The insurance company gave me 20K for my old one and I bought this one for 17,900. I like the car. I think it rolls just as good as the other one, my wife says it's not quite as tight as the old one as it was her car. This one is my car as the wife is now driving a new Civic Ex.

After they totaled our LE, I searched briefly for something maybe a little different, used Pilots or 4 Runners, CR-V's, nothing else made sense to me, couldn't be happier. I plan on seeing this one spin 200k. :shades:
    Congrats. Hopefully this one has a better fate. Stay safe.
  • Is this the place to mention I am selling a 2009 Slasa Red Pearl Sienna XLE? I am searching for a forum I can try and sell it at. It has 11,700 miles and in great shape. I am getting a company car and want to sell it to get rid of the payment if possible. It is loaded (w/o nav or rear sonar). Leather, DVD, Moonroof, etc. Please point me in the right direction.

Jason
    Edmunds doesn't have a classified section at all, sorry.

Try E-bay motors, craigslist, etc.
  • Bought a used 2005 Sienna CE van primarily because my wife has arthritic hips and my car had 138,xxx on it.. We are both senior (hate that term) citizens.

After some looking around the Phoenix site of CraigsList we ended up with a '95 CE model with 24,000 miles on it. Gave the original owner $13,500 along with new brakes and Michelins from COSTCO. Total ended up around $14,300.

Doing this avoided and 8 pcent sales tax of $1080 (AZ has tax-free private party sale) and dealers fees of $400 along with their higher sales price.

We love the van! It is of perfect height so she can just slide in and out. It is very comfortable riding and our 2 young g'sons boosters easily fit.

With a bit of CraigsList research (I spent 3 weeks) and a "cash" offer via our credit Union it was a snap. Remember YOU are in control when you have cash or a loan lined up. What you are looking for is an older and LOW MILES vehicle with minimal expensive options.
  • I just found a loaded 2006 limited AWD near me, claim only 1 owner, 46k miles for $24,995, good deal? Anything to look out for on a 2006 like this?
    That was probably a $38 grand van when new, i.e. loaded and the most pricey.

Let's see. $25k is about 2/3rds of the original price, or 67%.

Usually I say knock 10% when you drive off the lot and another 10% or so every year after that. Being 3-4 years old it should be 40-50% less than a new one, so there should be room to negotiate on that price.

What too look for?

Run-flats, definitely check those closely, see if there is uneven wear. They are expensive to replace a whole set and with AWD even tread is vital.

The alloys wheels on some of those had a finish that would not last very long, so take a close look at the wheels for bubbling paint or any signs of oxidation.

Then check the driver's door, 04-06 models had a TSB on the issue, make sure it latches well and nothing is loose.
  • Sounds a bit pricey for my frugal tastes. I would offer $21,000 at the maximum.

Do you really need AWD? It is an expensive option and when it breaks damage will be done to your hoard of cash. I lived in the snowy Sierra Nevada mountains for 10 years and survived admirably with FWD.

When the sliding door motor fails it is a $1,500 fix per side. About $800 for the rear door. Check out one of the "repair" subjects on this board. Best of luck.....
    They definitely left room to haggle.

At $25k most people want a new van. That's what I paid for mine. Not loaded, sure, but I do have power doors, 6CD, tow package, etc.
  • I went and saw the van, it was a single owner lease from New Jersey, had excessive wear on front tires (original Dunlaps maybe??) and bubbling on the rims. Dealer was willing to replace 2 tires and sell for $23,500, then he sent me the AutoCheck history, everything looked fine EXCEPT it had been in a frontal collision with a parked car, imagine there wasn't much damage but I get really nervous when I find out a car has been in an accident. I told him I might still consider it for $21k pending an inspection, pretty sure he wont go that low. There are too many people out there right now who don't do their homework and will take it for more.
    Good catch, checking on the collision damage.

Sienna are plentiful. Find a better one.
  • I have an opportunity to purchase a 2004 with 107,000 miles for $6500. Is this a good deal? Should I be worried about the mileage?
    I think the price is very good, yes. The 3MZ engine has not had any issues, but at that mileage have it inspected anyway.
  • delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    That is a really good price for an 04.An amazing deal.Get it checked and buy it before it`s gone. :shades: