Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a Used Sienna

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'm all for AWD, in fact we've owned 3 Subarus.

The catch here is that the AWD models mandate run-flats. The driveshaft goes right in the path of where the spare tire is on other models.

And I *hate* run-flats. Expensive, stiff ride, short tread life, etc.

We got a FWD Sienna, but we also have an AWD Subaru in our fleet for those snowy days. It's much better suited anyway.
  • pricewpricew Posts: 18
    2009 XLE, 33,000 miles, DVD entertainment, leather. What is a good price. Edmunds states 19348 for trade in, 21676 for private party and 23465 for dealer. What would be a good target price. Anything to watch out for.
  • You were very helpful to bring up the point of run-flat tires. It doesn't seem make a lot of economical sense to pay the price in daily uses just for a couple of days in the whole year.
  • Kenneth,
    I live on top a mountain in western North Carolina with a very steep asphalt private road with multiple hairpin switchbacks. We have a 2005 Sienna AWD and a 2004 Subaru Forester XT. This year we have had so much snow that I broke down and bought z-pattern tire chains...for the Subaru! The AWD Sienna has 119K miles on it, is an ideal road-trip vehicle and I prefer it over the Subaru when I have to drive more than an hour for work. The seats are comfortable and supportive and the higher driver's position and greenhouse visibility are a huge advantage on the highway. I have made it up and down the mountain on snow, ice, slush and every combination with no problem...but there's a secret. I ditched the run-flat tires years ago ( after two sets, neither of whilch last 25K miles), bought a matching 5th wheel on ebay and now have 1 run-flat as a full-size spare that fits snugly in the well behind the third-row seat. The other 4 tires are Pirelli P 4's that have over 50K on them and still get very good rain/snow traction.
    Whether you go with AWD or FWD, a set of chains is a good idea if you are intentionally going into mountainous big snow country with your family aboard. Make sure you get Z or <> pattern to work with your ABS and VSC and a set for each pair of drive wheels = 2 sets for AWD. Good luck.
  • Only 104K miles for $6600. Never owned a Toyota or a minivan (have a Subaru Outback as primary car so this would be for wife and son).

sounds like a good deal but what things should I be concerned about with it just having hit the 100K mark? Timing belt? Plugs? Transmission?
  • jprocjproc Posts: 133
    timing belt and the spark plugs should have been changed at 90k.Transmission fluid I change it in my XLE every 50k.If he hasn't done any of that I'd pass
  • asafonovasafonov Posts: 373
    Greetings.

Looking to buy either a used 2010 LE or a new 2011 LE with minimal options in the next month. The asking prices for the used ones (with 20-35k miles) seem to start at about 21-22k, plus fees and taxes. Location: Minneapolis/St Paul.

The new 2011 model is quite a bit more. I am leaning towards the used previous year's model.

Should I spring for the new one? Paying cash in either case. Thank you for your advice.
    If you want an 8 seat model, I'd recommend the 2010, which had a MUCH wider center seat in the 2nd row.

The new one is merely a bridge.

OTOH, the new model has 3 zone climate control and a backup cam even on the volume models. So if you're a gadget person, those features may win you over.

I prefer the exterior styling of the new one, but the interior of my 2007 is a bit nicer with softer materials in some places.

Drive 'em both and go with your gut.
  • I just bought the 2011 LE, and yes, that 8th seat is tee-ninchy!!! I have a car seat in the left outboard seat, and for me to sit in that 8th seat is a squeeze!! However, I really like it! I do find something odd, though. My first Sienna from years ago was an LE and had power vent windows. Now THIS one, with its fancy back-up camera and dual power sliders, doesn't. What is up with THAT?? :confuse: Anyhoo......still glad I've got her!
  • asafonovasafonov Posts: 373
    atexeira, thank you for your insightful comment. While the 8-th seat is nice-to-have, rather than must-have, if getting an 8-seater, might as well get a vehicle with a realistically-sized 8th seat.

As for the gadgets - I am emphatically NOT a gadget person - especially in a car; fewer things to break. I drove a rental Flex for a few weeks that had a backup camera and never got used to it.
    The advantage is there is a place to store it. Very convenient. If you seldom use it, that may be an advantage.
  • Just wondering when we can expect to see an influx of used 2011 Siennas or when the 2012's might be hitting dealerships. I'm more interested in finding a used 2011 XLE, but if I gotta buy new, I may as well get a 2012. Thanks for any info you might have.
  • loucapriloucapri Posts: 214
    feel the same. if going with new, might as well get the new, new :)
    when 2011 came out early 2010, it still called 2011 and you kind of get at least 7 months ahead. If you buy a 2011 NOW, probably by August or Sept, it will be "OLD" since 2012 might be there by then.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    There are some rental return 2011's starting to show-up now. Most are LE models with 10k-15k miles. I don't think you'll see enough of a discount on the rare used XLE to bother. Toyota/Honda it's almost always better to buy new until you're shopping for something more than 3 years old.
  • worklessworkless Posts: 1
    Hello,

I'm looking at two '08 LE 8-passenger after my '03 got totaled in a rear end accident.

Both have all the basics, plus power sliding passenger side door. Both are in clean condition.

1st is a Toyota certified w/ 58,000 miles and Carfax shows it at -$280.

2nd is on independent lot and has 74,800 miles and Carfax shows -$440.

Both are asking $18,995 to start.

The KBB, Edmunds, and NADA numbers are all over the map. (1st is $19,925, $18,117, & $19,175. 2nd is $18,500, $16,171, & $18,375)

Any suggestions at a good starting offer for either?

Any ideas as to how much Toyota Certified should add to the price? Is it worth it?

Thanks,
    Sail
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    edited March 2011
    I'm no expert on how to price used cars, but this is my recent experience looking in the NY metropolitan area. Each market is different, to adjust accordingly.

Last weekend I purchased a 2008 Sienna LE, excellent outward appearance (drives like new) with 20,058 miles on the clock & still under original factory warranty for another few weeks, from a dealer on Long Island (about 90+ miles from home). Original window sticker asking price was $20,980. Selling price was $18,990. Clean CarFax report, Toyota Certified, and I got the service dept to pull the complete history of all warranty work to date. Two tires were slightly under the Toyota Certified requirements of uniform 5/32, and I got them to put on two new tires as well.

If you go to the ToyotaCertified.com site, you can view the complete terms of the extended warranty (NOTE: The base warranty got better on March 1 - it was 3 months, and is now 12 months plus 7yr/100k powertrain). You can also do a search query up to 100 miles for all cars available - very handy for comparison shopping. Each listing has multiple photos. You can even get an e-brochure if you don't have access to one so that you can compare contents of packages & features. It's great to be able to do your initial screening on the web.

I can tell you that the LE seems to be a pretty good bargain having depreciated a bit faster than the XLE (at least around here). Given that the base XLE went for around $4k more new, we were very surprised to find that they resold for a solid $5 - 6k more. That makes them a great investment, but a bit harder to buy used if on a budget.

So what does "Certified" get you? If you buy a van that is over 3yrs/36k miles (outside of the original warr) from a used car dealer, you cannot buy a Toyota extended warranty for it. All you have is the used dealer 1 month or 3 month protection. If you buy a CPO car from Toyota, it already comes with excellent coverage, plus you can buy more - up to 8 years / 125k miles bumper to bumper no matter what the time or mileage is at the time of purchase. BUT - you have to buy it at closing! If you say no at the signing, there's no way to add it later. I was even told that by one of the big warranty sellers here on the web. Go armed with pricing data and push back. Unfortunately you really don't have much leverage if you fall into this crack, but put up a fight anyhow. They'd rather sell it cheaper than not at all!

If the van is still under original warranty as mine is, you can buy the Toyota plans from anywhere. True, there is a very slightly different in the roadside asst T&C buying it at 'closing' vs shopping later on the web, but not enough of a delta to warrant overpaying the selling dealer. Yes, it's complicated!!!

So in your case - next to no protection on the used lot van, up to 5 years more coverage on the Toyota dealer car for 10-15% more $$$. Plus lower mileage to begin with. To me, it seems an easy choice. A power door repair can be a grand!

Do you need 8 passenger? My two kids objected to the lack of arm rests on the 8 seaters, so we screened for 7 seats only.

Hope all of this helps!
  • We've had nothing but problems with our 2006 Sienna XLE. Run-flat tires are a disaster, electrical issues as well. Navigation chews-up map DVDs (three in five years) and the whole navigation system just went out completely (Toyota wants $3500 to replace). Unless you really really need AWD, I'd go with the Honda.
    edited April 2011
    Ody has the same issues with run-flat tires.

Better advice - avoid the run-flats completely, both Honda and Toyota.