Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Not sure if I am allowed to post the link.

Email me at JKulp42757@aol.com and I ll send it over to you.
  • I remember about 6 months ago or so someone (I can't remember who) said they had seen the 2003 4Runner and that it looked like the Montero.

I agree, they do kinda look alike, at least from the front. I hate to say it, but the Montero looks better, in my opinion.

Check it out http://www.otcbbprofiles.com/images/runnermontero.jpg

• In complete disagreement with the Montero post above. My opinion. Those huge fenders on the front look horrible.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    I was just thinking that while the FRONT of the new Runner actually looks a lot better, the BACK looks exactly like the Montero Sport!

32/24/22 for approach/departure/breakover angles doesn't sound too good to me. I wish I could remember the exact numbers for the 3rd gen - are these better or worse?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Approach = 35
    Departure = 28
    Breakover = unknown
    Those are the numbers I had in my head for MY truck, but I didn't want to quote them, because I was not positive of their source.

So the new Runner is seriously sucking in that department, huh?

• 32/24 (approach/departure) is not bad...it is well above average for the class...compare this to Envoy, MDX, Sequoia...the 4Runner positively shines against these competitors!

The Toyota Land Cruiser has 32/24 also; however, for a wheelbase of 112, it has a very good breakover of 24 degrees.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    is 22
    Mack
    of comparisons with other trucks, not MDX and the like. I am curious to know what these numbers are for Rubicon, trucks like that. Mainly I am disappointed they needlessly reduced the figures of the third gen.

Why oh why, couldn't they have just put a more powerful engine in the 3rd gen, maybe changed the look of the nose a little, and left everything lese the same?

• Approach/departure/breakover angles:

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon: 45/34/25.8
    2003 Nissan Pathfinder: 33/28/NA
    2003 Nissan Xterra: 33/28.6/NA
    2002 Mitsubishi Montero: 39/18/NA
    2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport: 31/22/NA
    2002 Land Rover Discovery II: 31/21/25 (with self-leveling: 31/25/25)
    2003 Range Rover: 32/29/28 (in HIGH mode)
    2003 Lexus GX470: 30/29/NA (in HIGH mode)
    2003 Lexus LX470: 32/26/24 (in HIGH mode)
    2003 Toyota Land Cruiser: 31/24/24 (correction from previous of 32/24/24)
    2002 Toyota Sequoia: 28/20/NA

2003 4Runner: 32/24/22
    2002 4Runner: 35/28/NA

2003 Acura MDX: 28/21/21
    2002 Toyota Highlander: 28/22/NA
  • That's called Alzheimer
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    Thanks, I forgot...but the best part is that everyday I get to meet so many new friends...
  • Since my earlier quesiton regarding the rough idling and power loss in my 94 4runner, I have had the chance to put in 2 tankfuls of gas with the Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner. I never noticed before, but when the level of my tank goes below 1/3 full, the rough idling and power loss become very severe. With the tank full, I have pretty good pick up and decent power. My guess is a fuel pump going bad.

What do you think?
  • Thanks, intmed99. Those stats really help put things in perspective. If the Rubicon' breakover is only 25.8º, and some of the other proven off-roaders are only a few degrees more, then 22º doesn't seem that bad. And the Rubicon has a third less wheelbase! I wish the approach an departure angles at least equalled the 3rd gen, but those are only a few degrees, which makes sense with a longer body/wheelbase, and no additional lift.

I really don't think these changes are that significant, or detrimental, as intmed99 points out. I mean, if you got your protractor out and looked at the slight differences in those angles, they make it laughable that there would be that much concern about it.

Also, as intmed99 points out, I am a little concerned about the travel with bigger anti-roll bars, but the pictures seem to show excellent travel with the new X-REAS suspension. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
  • I don't agree with the design analysis comparing the new 4Runner to the Montero, or Sport, at all. I think the flow of the lines resemble each other, but that's where the similarities start and end.

Other than the obvious Toyota siblings, the only other SUV the new design reminds me of is the Trailblazer, just in the wheel wells and the rear. Now, I actually like elements of the Trailblazer's design, so an amalgamation of the 3rd gen with the Trailblazer is fine by me. But I think they took it further than that, and have created a very contemporary and exciting design that I won't get tired of for a long time. I'm still not tired of the 3rd gen, but I'm more excited about this one.
  • No hard feelings. Your new friend, Roland (Be sure to remember my name)
  • Do you guys know when the new 4runner is going to be available? I like the SR5 V6. The guys at the dealerships play the "I don't know. How about a 2002?" game. Much obliged.
  • My local dealer in Denver let me know that they'll have some to test drive on the 5th of October. I trust one of the Internet Managers so this should be accurate info.
  • Hope you are right airbur.

My dealer, usually very reliable, has been pushing back the test drive date for a while now (19,23,25 and now oct 3rd). I feel that they are only trying to keep me on the hook...

They are better to release it soon or else I will go and buy the plastic-less Pathfinder that I consider as the next best thing to the current 4Runner.
  • The pics from Canadian Driver show the cladding to be a little less objectionable, IMHO. Must be the color. Green, perhaps darker, has always been my color of choice for a 4Runner. One of the mags felt the HVAC controls were a little strange, and that straight forward knobs might have been better; I'm inclined to agree. Only time and useage will tell. on that score. Overall, it's growing on me. Now PRICING!! BTW, thanks to World Traveler for the the above first drive.
    Cheers
    Pat
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Is October 15th. Initial allocation is V8, AND V8, and more V8. Six cylinder 4runner will be available "90 days after product launch" (straight from the New Product department desk)
    Mackabee
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    to me, that gray plastic cladding just makes the vehicle look cheap. don't like it at all...
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,725
    just type in "4Runner" in the search window, and you will get several pages of pixs.

Bob

http://www.wieck.com/public/index.html

• joatmonjoatmon Posts: 315
    beercoll1 wrote:
    Since my earlier quesiton regarding the rough idling and power loss in my 94 4runner, I have had the chance to put in 2 tankfuls of gas with the Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner. I never noticed before, but when the level of my tank goes below 1/3 full, the rough idling and power loss become very severe. With the tank full, I have pretty good pick up and decent power. My guess is a fuel pump going bad.

Could be bad fuel, water in fuel. Empty tank and reload.

Good luck,

Jack
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    October 15. There may be opportunity to view them and even put deposits on them before that, but they will not be on the lot for sale until then
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,956
    I heard Oct. 16th (sure your middle name isn't Buzz? ). Either way, that's just a bit over a couple of weeks away.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• sbell4sbell4 Posts: 446
    Write down Thursday October 10th because that will end up beign the release date for the 2003 4Runner.
  • Brochures available in dealerships beginning October 7th depending on mail time.

Intro and 60-day media blitz begins October 10th.

3-D website coming soon.
  • flavflav Posts: 1
    Everyone I talk to about this idea of Aluminum block in the v6 says its a bad idea. Ive talked to some GM car dealers who say that chevy and Cadilac have tried this but that aluminum doesnt last and that it didnt work. I also talked to a mechanic I know who said under pressure of heavy towing this block could malfunction.