Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• semanticssemantics Posts: 51
    This car here:

http://www.top-spy.com/Contact/Car05/car05.html

is NOT the new 4Runner. Doesn't even look like it. That car there is a Prado. I have seen and driven Prado in other countries. That is not a 4Runner, senator!

• Do you think it may be possible this is a language he is learning and that you may not do so well in his native language if that's the case?
  • nodefectnodefect Posts: 26
    Semantics- I hope you are correct on this one, if the new 4Runner looks anything like that I'll look for something else. I guess the GX 470 is in my future, any word on a ballpark price on the GX 470 ?
  • tbcreativetbcreative Posts: 357
    I'm a little confused, and want to clear something up. You said that you've driven the Prado in other countries, but this spy shot is of the all-new platform, whether it's a 4Runner or Prado, so how can you be so sure, just because you've driven the old one? I'm not attacking you at all, I'm just trying to follow your statement that doesn't make sense to me right now. Also, doesn't the Prado have the fender-mounted rear-view mirror on the left fender and the steering wheel on the right side? Now, they could have left the mirror off, and there are other countries that drive on the right lane like in the US where they might sell the Prado, but why does it have a license plate that looks like a Michigan plate?

I'm just obsessing and looking for answers, because I'm with Nodefect, and concerned about the styling. That roof looks like it slopes down in the rear, like the Highlander or Axiom, which is something I don't like, and this vehicle has the same swing gate as the GX, but with a built-in tire mount (minus the tire), which is something I REALLY don't want. It's also contrary to what several insiders have reported about there being the same kind of liftgate with power window on the '03 as the current model, but with a new close-assist function. Those fenders do resemble the GX, so I'm really confused about what we're looking at here.

To everyone who has actually seen the new 'Runner, what do you think?

Also, Nodefect, I believe the pricing on the GX is supposed to fall between the RX and LX.
  • peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    Will someone who is 6'4" and 340 pounds fit in a 4Runner?

Short answer: NO

Long answer: I am 6'4" and I bought a 4Runner without a sunroof. Barely enough head room and at stop lights you have to bend your head down to see the stop light. The current generation 4Runner is somewhat narrow and suffers in hip room, I am over 100 pounds less than 340, (still I am a big guy) and the fit is snug. At 340 pounds it well might be too snug. My advice is to look at the 2003 4Runner or to stick with your Explorer.
  • nodefectnodefect Posts: 26
    After looking at the spy photo right next to the photo of the GX 470 on the Lexus site and comparing them I am convinced the spy photo is the new 4Runner. The door frames are identical ! and if you look closely enough at the spy photo, the headlights are identical to the ones on the GX 470. Look closely at the under side of the spy photo, is that a spare tire ? I know it shows a rear mount, but maybe they were just testing the two types of spares. When the two photos are compare side by side, they look very much alike when you look past the disguise job that Toyota has on the spy photo.

tbcreative- You are right ! that is a Michigan plate !!!!!

I guess we can speculate all we want, it's kind of fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love my 99 SR5, but I want more size and more safety features, my 99 can roll pretty easy, I want more stability and side curtain airbags for my wife and son. For these reasons a new 4Runner or GX 470 interest me. I do not want to pay the Lexus price tag, but if I have to, I will ! My 4Runner goes in for gas, oil changes and routine maintenance PERIOD !!!!!!!!!! I thought I would never own a Japanese car, but I had had enough with repairs. I have a 94 Accord that is fantastic and the 4Runner's quality is even better. I will wait for Toyota to build a car that suits me. When the American manufactures decide to build better cars, I will buy one. It's ashame, we have the technology to build the best cars in the world and we refuse to do it! Cars are too expensive to replace when the warrenties run out. The nice thing about Honda and Toyota is that you can trade them in when you want to, not because you have to.
  • svibes1svibes1 Posts: 1
    I had a 95 4runner and it is the worst car I have ever owned. It had an embarassingly weak v6 engine that was a bit thirsty,it had a low towing capasity, the interior was very dull and boring, and the engine was two noisy. the only good thing i can say is that it never gave any problems.
  • rward99rward99 Posts: 185
    I just got off the phone with one of the Pacific ports and they said that they don't see anything about a 3rd row seat on any of the spec sheets. I think we can pretty well rule it out, at least until next year.

They also said that employees will not be able to order one until January or February. (I'm glad I was going wait until then anyway, or I'd be ticked.) They want to make sure the dealerships get as many as possible.

I asked if any were coming in soon and they said that they are a ways out yet; not until (as I said before) August for the dealerships and September for consumers. (This is pretty standard) I asked about the possibility of a 2003 in Texas (Gulf States Toyota) and they couldn't confirm or deny that, but said they "doubted" it. Gulf States and Southeast Toyota are independantly owned ports dealing directly with Toyota in Japan.

As for the spy shot, I can't tell anything. It's so heavily disquised that it's hard to tell what it is. As if it wasn't bad enough they stick that great big "Top-Spy" right on top of it. (That's about useless.) But I've seen the Prado and it doesn't appear to me to look like a 4Runner at all.
  • tbcreativetbcreative Posts: 357
    Thanks again for your update! Where have you seen the new Prado? I've seen the illustration, but is there a photo you can share? Just curious...

What do you think of the fact that that vehicle in the spy shot has a Michigan plate? Do you think it's more likely to be a 4Runner? It is annoying that Top Spy couldn't have been as subtle as Brenda Priddy & Co. with protecting their photos.

This will all be over soon, right?
  • khuynhkhuynh Posts: 28
    Is there LATCH on the '02 4Runners?? If not, is it a big deal?? Thanks.
  • rshershe Posts: 236
    It will be required to have both upper and lower attach points, as will all vehicles manufactured after 9/2002.
  • rshershe Posts: 236
    Just re-read your message. The 2002's are only required to have Phase I which is the upper straps and I believe that is all they have.
  • markcervmarkcerv Posts: 1
    Back in April you posted this message:

---start here---
    #1525 of 2072 4Runner electronic mods by wally27 Apr 26, 2002 (07:26 pm)

...My point with this post is to find out if anyone is interested in a few 4Runner circuit mods. I have the $250 shop manuals and can, disable the daytime running lights (with a better method than disconnecting pin 2...), shut off the key reminder chime, and turn the power outlets on the dash to full time (not switched) so your cell phone charges full time.
    ---stop here---

I've got a 2002 4Runner, and I would LOOOOOVVVEEEEEE to shut off the damn key reminder chime.

Please post how to do this (or post a URL).

Thanks,
    mark
  • ttlmeterttlmeter Posts: 6
    Hey 4Runner owners and Toyota enthusiasts!

How come Toyota does not have an on/off switch for DRL on their trucks/SUVs? And how much shorter bulb life is there due to the DRL? I don't do mods or maintenance on cars or trucks, just drive them. I love my 2000 4Runner Ltd, but wish that it came with a DRL switch or autosensor.
  • hermesnthermesnt Posts: 5
    Cliffy - after having my tires rotated by the dealer (not mentioning names - but very close to home ;) the truck developed a pull to the right. 6 alignments later, truck drives straight, but steering wheel is slightly off. Front tires wear on inside edge. Alignment shop indicates all within specs.

Is this a know issue?
  • Hello,

I'm preparing for a x-country trip in my '02 4WD Limited. I'm going to be towing a small (5'x 8')
    U-haul trailer. According to the manual this should be well within the 4Runners 5000 lbs capacity.

I'm new to towing and I would appreciate any insight and experience that one could share. I'm driving from Illinois to California.

I had a few questions off hand :

1.)What gear should I use for towing ? I always heard that you should not use the normal drive gear (with o/d engaged). Does anybody have any experience here on what would be optimal ?

2.) Is it OK to run A/C while towing ?

3.) Is it OK to have cruise control engaged while towing ?

4.) Would you have radiator flushed prior ? Any special considerations for transmission fluid ?

This will be my first towing gig and I want to make sure to get it right. Also, I want to make sure that I do not harm my beloved 4Runner.

I would appreciate any insight that anyone could share.

Thank You
  • mookie14mookie14 Posts: 252
    you know what i did not ask your advice and so do not answer anything i ask for ok thanks.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Let's cool it guys!

We all make errors in typing, spelling, grammar etc. And anything posted on the boards is open to general discussion by anyone anytime. Let's be a bit more tolerant.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • rward99rward99 Posts: 185
    I've just seen the photos of the Prado, not an actual vehicle. They're on the Toyota Australia site: http://www.toyota.com.au I compared those versions of the Prado to the 4Runner.

>spy shot has a Michigan plate?

Toyota has a technical center in Michigan, but as far as I know they design for American plants. It's possible they had an SUV of some sort that they were evaluating. I know that Georgetown has its own test track, and there is a big one in Arizona. On private property you don't need a tag. OTOH, if they wanted some opinions from the quality people they may ship over just about anything, put a tag on it and let them drive it on public roads. But the 4Runner is so close to market that it's long past any of that. They are in production now; they won't change anything unless there is a very good reason (i.e., safety or quality). When the Sienna was there for the Detroit (1997?) auto show they just drove it up I-75 from the plant.

>Do you think it's more likely to be a 4Runner?

If it is, because of the cladding, I can't tell anything. I'd rather see a real photo of the real, unclad, vehicle. I'm content to wait for that. Personally, I'd like to see the interior again, since that's where I'll be spending most of my time. :-)

>This will all be over soon, right?

They keep saying August, but it's almost August now, and the port says it doesn't have any on the radar yet. I'll be glad when they get here so I can take an up close look. Pictures just don't do it for me. :-(

Hang in there! (Think how much fun it will be in here after they arrive. I hope it stays civil and doesn't become like the other discussions in here.)

• jf01jf01 Posts: 88
    I got the impression that the little black knobby thing on the edge of the dash (next to the vent next to the windshield) is a DRL sensor, although I don't know how it works since I've never seen it turning the DRLs off.