Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    will the 4th gen still have that badly designed, break-every-three-years-like-a-charm power antenna? The ONE THING I do not like about my Runner!

Plastic IS good to protect the paint from dirt/rocks/etc - let's wait to see what it actually looks like in person.

Hush! The moment draws ever nearer...

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Is it still possible to pick up an '02 for cheap?

I'm thinking like 26-29K for a fully loaded 2002 SR5 Sport??? Any thoughts?
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Posts: 378
    They have some very interesting photos on that site. Very large photos of the interiors and functions of the front & rear center consoles. The storage bin at the wheel wells is a nicw idea. Wonder what will show up on the US models.
  • The new 4Runner has the antenna in the windshield, right? Or is that only the Limited? I don't remember seeing an antenna on any of the ones at the demo.

The interior is exactly the same in the 4Runner as the Hilux. It has those same storage bins in the back. They are very cool!
  • Nor will we see the rear window wind deflector with the power mirror that drops down at a push of a button. It has been an option on the 3rd Gen for years. What about the altimeter on the dash? It's been on the Japanese version for years.

You are right, we don't seem to get all the goodies.
  • peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    The Toyota web site now has info on the new 4Runner. Not much, but it has a few pictures of the 4Runner in action and a small write up. Now does this mean that the "Embargo" is off, or is my post going to get deleted?

http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/look_ahead/runner.html

• The 03 silver sports model shown on Toyota web page looks cool. I still don't like the plastic but I admit that it creates an overall sporty package and that, under certain circumstances, it can look nice and mean.

Am I getting soft here?
  • peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    No you aren't getting soft. Those action shots do look pretty good. I guess we are getting used to the plastic. If I like anything about the new 4Runner, it is the V6 and V8 engines. Hopefully when you finally look at one, the clouds will part, the music will come up and the angels will sing, but on the other hand maybe it will look like a ugly plastic Chevy. Let us know how you feel when you finally see it.
  • Saw the GX470 last night at a local dealership. Be glad the 4 runner doesn't have the 3rd row. The seats were not very functional and ate up a ton of room unless you are going to remove them - which defeats the purpose? They were not very comfortable either.

Also, the second row doesn't fold flat. The seats fold up against the front row and are actually in the way which eats up cargo space. I can only assume the same will be true in the 4runner.

Cabin space is awesome for the 4 main passengers and the car looks great in person. I expect the same to be true of the 4runner. My only gripe was the limited cargo space for such a large truck. Otherwise, much to be excited about.
  • the second row seats on the 4Runner fold down flat like the Highlander. I just drove an 03 and it is in a word"AWESOME" Toyota continues to amaze me with their Quality. If someone is looking to buy a SUV and ride quality is their primary concern nothing else in this price range comes close. If they want performance the V8 is a scream,MAJOR improvement over the 3.4 V6.The 5-speed transmission shifted seemlesly and kept the engine in the "sweet spot".
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,296
    You'll never see a radio antenna in a car ad - it's a law :-). Maybe they'll let a TV/XM antenna slide by.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• sbell4sbell4 Posts: 446
    Limited 4x4 V8

all standard equipment plus:

6 disc in dash changer
    power tilt/slide moonroof
    floor mats
    Toyoguard Protection Package Plus

retail MSRP 39565.74

An average SR5 will have a MSRP of around 31500
  • I have to get out of 'lurk' mode to make some comments. The 3rd generation 4Runner had a lot of features that stopped me in my
    tracks and made me want to get up and buy one of the current models (with Sports package). Now I am so disappointed because
    I do not like the cheap-looking plastic fender flares that are on the 2003 sports models. The design may be practical for protecting
    the paint job during off-roading, but they should make the Fender flares on the Limited Edition available on the sports models in
    the color of the vehicle. Who wants a nice shiny black sports model with the cheap looking gray 'clabber' fender flares? I am sure
    many people would like a completely black sports model without that gray two tone look. That's why you see so many completely
    black 2001-2002 sports models driving around Los Angeles. To me, the plastic cuts the body in half and makes the 2003 4Runner
    look like a sorry station wagon.
    I think a V6 black sport with SHINY black color keyed fenders and hood scoop and navigational system would be tough...but
    what if we don't want the Limited/leather seats?
  • I think it is an issue for a lot of 4Runner fans.

We are waiting to see those in person before making a final judgement. Like I mentioned in a previous post many "luxury" cars are going the plastic route. We might have to get used to that.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Posts: 193
    I second that motion.

ppppsssssssssssssssssssssss . . . POP . . . that's the sound of the $35.5K Limited bubble being popped. $40+K (as I suspected for a while) was always a stretch anyway, and not worth it IMO if it's not 100% everything I waited for.

I will wait seven years and go back to my second-choice, Plan B: '03 Pathfinder LE for 31K even. {boo, hiss}

Yes, for 3 years my wife and I railed on it, but at least I can rationalize that the 9K I'll save up front will double by 2010 (assuming a modest 10% return).

Oh well . . . still, I can't wait to test drive one for the heck of it and check out the new interior/engines.

P.S. Anyone looking for deals on an '02, FYI, every dealer is coming out of the woodwork to clear these out [e.g., drove out to Tysons and they had about 6 '02 Runners lined up bumper to bumper along Route 7]. . . but prices are no lower than I provided in my earlier posts. Even receiving emails again to inquiries sent weeks ago before I gave up on the idea that an '02 could be acquired at a fair price. '02 plus supercharger (to make it like an '03) = same old $32K offer; not worth it.
  • kjack100kjack100 Posts: 133
    http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/hiluxsurf/index.html

models, colors, wallpaper shots, features, options, accessories. But the site feels like a Godzilla movie.

Ok, I am over my third row seat tantrum. Let the kid's friends ride in the way back and tough it out or swap car's with the wife when needed.

Is the galactic gray more of a dark blue?

• No, the literature says it's an in-glass windshield FM diversity antenna! I definitely remember that there weren't any antennas on the 12 2003s that I saw. Also, if you look at Yotatech's pics of the ones at the dealership, there aren't any antennas, and those aren't pics for marketing purposes.

They're built into the windshield, like the GMC Envoy and Olds Bravada.
  • I think what john_helen was getting at is that the seats don't fold flat down over the bottom cushions in one move where the whole seat collapses down. Instead, you have to lift the bottom seat up against the front seat backs, and then fold the rear seat backs down.

They do lay flat with the head rests pushed down, but the bottom cushions protrude a little into the cargo space a bit, which is true of most SUVs these days. The main reason for that is because of the better height of the rear seats for comfort, so it's a good compromise in my book.
  • beagles3beagles3 Posts: 132
    I will be shopping for a Limited 4x4 with all options,but, I cannot afford $40,000,so, I will have to wait until I find a dealer not so greedy??
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Greedy? Now why would you go and use a word like that? The car hasn't even hit the ground and we haven't seen official pricing and you have decided that if a dealer is selling a Limited for $40K he is being greedy. A better way to phrase that might be "I'll wait until demand dies down until market conditions don't demand such a premium on the loaded model that has all the features I want."
  • beagles3beagles3 Posts: 132
    I have spoken with a few Seattle area dealers that I do business with and they have already stated that it's sticker price and beyond for several months. The Sales Managers that I spoke with stated that they were told not to dicker, period! I understand that the dealer wants to make $$,but, I just don't play the game well.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,296
    Car & Driver review

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• ....$39K and up? WHOA.

Can't you get a limited Sequoia for $42K? Sheesh. Other than weight/slower acceleration/1-2 mpg lower...It seems a better buy for a Sequoia. I am wondering where the 4.0 V6 4runnner will range on price. I am definitely a fan of the limiteds (like my current 4runner), and WAS contemplating an '03 LTD V8.

I can't stand the plastic flares/panels. My 2 cents: The two-tone body color IMO will die out in out 2004. Just look at the 2002 Sequoias. Toyota will put out the 2nd year (4th generation)4runners and the SR5s/Sports will have a monotone, color-keyed flares/panel option. They will do this especially for the '03 SR5/Sport buyers who couldn't wait. I know because my buddy bought a 2-tone Sequoia SR5 in '01 (black/tan), and what happened in 2002---->Monotone was available in the SR5s. He went crazy.
    Anyhow...I am now going to wait until the V6 arrives in Dec/Jan. Then depending on price, maybe I might factor an SR5 Sequoia Leather/moonroof for the same.
  • sbell4sbell4 Posts: 446
    I was just providing the info we have been waiting for. MSRP on a loaded 4x4 Limited is 39600.

Dealers can sell them for whatever profit margin they and the consumer agree is fair to both parties.

I remember the very first Highlander I sold was to a couple that offered a figure that was just above invoice. We sold it to them and went on to the next case.

Some of the new 4Runners will go at MSRP and some will go for less.

It scares me that we blanket what we feel what a dealer will or not do by the posts we see. If you like the vehicle I suggest you go and drive it and let your local dealer work a few figures for you to consider. I do not think anyone would expect you to buy a 40k vehicle if the price and value was agreeable to you.

I assure you that if you want a new 4Runner you will be able to buy one at a fair price.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    How is it that a dealer that tells you the price up front is playing a game? Seems pretty straight forward to me. If the demand is there for MSRP, then that is a fair price. If the demand isn't there, the dealer will not be able to sell it and it will not be a fair price.
  • intmed99intmed99 Posts: 485
    Yes, you should drive it at least 10 miles a month to help the front axle. You can do this by driving in a straight line on the highway (on dry land). The only problem you will encounter is when you make a turn...thus, just cruise on the highway and you will be OK. Of course, if you have a little off-roading course near you, you can also have fun while doing this every month!
  • Thank you sir. Will do.
    You should be fine just driving it in 4WD every couple of months. I've been doing this for 12+ years. Never had a problem.
    MSRP 39565.74 (w/some goodies) + OUCH!