Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Options
    vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    Probably something similar to what's diagrammed at this URL (since Nakamichi has their website set up to obscure the true URL):

http://nakamichi.com/auto/musicbank/mb_75.htm

Interesting....
  • Options
    pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    Thanks. Now I know how the disks are stored. Now I can put my Klaus Schultz collection of CD's in the changer without a second thought.
  • Options
    olrockerolrocker Member Posts: 16
    I can't say my '03 V8 LTD is junk, but after owning a '92 and a '96 with almost no problems, I will say I'm disappointed. It runs fine, the V8 is smooth, handles well, etc. But...
    Issues with the new one:
    1)Moonroof rattle--sounds like there's a monkey shaking a can of marbles in the headliner. Dealer has tried to fix 3 times; says it's a design or manufacturing issue.
    2) Squeaking driver's seat--dealer tried to fix; now it's worse. Sounds like an old screen door.
    3) I owned it for 3 months before I could use the trailer hitch due to the notorious "ball mount was made too big" problem.
    4) Steering wheel is angled outboard slightly (I've heard some Siennas have this problem.) Feels wierd.
    5) There are visible creases in the center of the steering wheel that mark the edges of the airbag--looks pretty funky.
    6) "Post-Taco Bell" odor after hard acceleration. Not constant, but noticeable.
    7) Crappy design of shifter--can be pushed into park from drive in one stroke ("detents" don't work.)
    8) Loose rubber strips on roof (you know the ones.)
    9) 6 CD changer hangs if the disc isn't perfect, then won't eject. Usually allows you to retrieve disc the next day.
    These build-related things shouldn't be problems on any $40,000 vehicle, much less a Toyota. I'm waiting to hear from Toyota corporate (I've emailed them.) The "bloom is off the rose" as far as myself and Toyota are concerned.
  • Options
    I know I've heard 1) 2) 3) and 6) mentioned here before.

As for 7), I take it you'd rather have a button lock or something like that on the shifter? So far I've liked the design of the shifter. I'll have to take a look at a couple of other 5 speed autos, next time I'm in those vehicles (either a friend's TL type S or my dad's E320). I could only see your complaint being a problem if it would shift like that while the vehicle was in motion. Anyone know if there's a mechanism in the tranny to prevent it from doing that? I'm certainly not going to try doing it....

with 9), I had one brief problem with my 6 disc, in that one day, the steering wheel controls refused to change the volume. Then so did the volume knob. I turned it off and on, and the CD played (the timer was going) but no sound came out. After turning the vehicle on and off, it all came back as normal, and has been fine ever since. Go figure.

One other minor annoyance is that it seems the vehicle likes to lock itself sometimes (sometimes all doors but the drivers), when neither the remote or the lock button was pushed, after it's been parked (maybe 30 sec to a minute). When it's in my garage, and I'm trying to get things out of it, this behavior is annoying. I tried telling it "YOU'RE IN THE GARAGE, YOU DON'T NEED TO BE LOCKED!" but it just wouldn't listen and I had to use the unlock feature of the remote. Life is hard.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    There is a way to change the programming so it doesn't automatically lock. I don't know how but I know it can be done. Take a look through your owners manual.
  • Options
    chortonchorton Member Posts: 149
    the 4runner is standard with a automatic relocking mechanism, if you unlock the doors with the remote and then don't open a door for 30 sec or so, it automatically thinks the button was hit by accident and locks itself back.
  • Options
    asdfasdf Member Posts: 9
    Hello all, (forgive my English!)
    After putting 3k miles on my new toyota, I am afraid to admit that this truck is not well-built. Everywhere you look at in the truck, it's something crappy. Luckily, I don't have that strong smell, just very light at time. Here are just some examples,

1 - I use a piece of cloth to wipe off some dust and end up scratching the protective glass of the odometer.

2 - I've been trying but can't find a comfort setting for driver seat and the steering wheel.

3 - I had to get my truck back to the dealer to fixed the moonroof noise.

4 - The internal toproof is made out of cheap material. Mine got lots of marks already.

5 - AC is very weak,

6 - Auto-temp control is a joke.

7 - Backdoor bottom gets dirt/mud if you drive in wet condition.

But I still like the truck though.
  • Options
    aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    This type of changer is not unique to JBL. Bose uses it as well in Nissan/Infiniti Models and maybe others. I like it because it doesn't take up space in the glove box or in the cargo area. The one thing to remember is not to use computer burned cd's that have paper labels attached. Leave the paper labels off and it will work just fine. This was a hot topic on the maxima board a while back with folks loading these things in and the paper label was jamming their cd players.
  • Options
    vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    I never said the Toyota 4 Runner was junk, but on the other hand just look at the posts. Not too convincing it's not. In addition to the horrid stink, stank, stunk, rank, etc...I did experience several of the problems people have posted, especially the weak A/C. The truck is got some great features and runs smooth as silk but it still needs work. As I said, I'd wait a year or two and get a V6, save the $800 or so, and avoid the smell of an overflowing septic tank following your truck.
  • Options
    whitney8whitney8 Member Posts: 31
    1. I was not able to get the DRL option when I purchased my V8 Sport. It appears that the DRL's utilize the front turn signals. Does anyone know if the DRL feature can be "activated"?
    2. Has anyone been able to get the computer reprogrammed to roll UP the rear window from the remote?
  • Options
    I have a set of steel rims from my '94 Toyota 4x4 xtra cab. Does anyone know if they will fit an '03 V8 Sport? I would like to put 31x10.5 BFG All Terrains on them for the winter, and keep the 17" rims nice for the rest of the year.

Oh, and thanks for all the great info on this board!
  • Options
    chidofuchidofu Member Posts: 21
    I've been off this thread for a while but got up to speed today. I have a '03 V8 Ltd. I noticed the smell the other day when I parked in a parking lot. The smell was inside the car when I got back in the car after running a short errand. It did not smell to me like a classic sulfur smell (which I think of as a sharper smell) it smelled more like rotting garbage. I thought I might have left some food in the car but couldn't find anything to account for the smell. Other than that one occasion I haven't smelled anything since I bought the car in November of '02. I have around 6,000 miles on it so far. I never drive with windows down because of all the turbulence it creates in the truck. I am in WA.

I love the truck. But I would not accept that smell if it were a more regular occurrence. I also don't think that attributing it to the type of gas used, driving with windows down or driving too fast are valid excuses. A truck sold in the U.S. should operate correctly with any gas sold in the U.S. Operating correctly includes operating without noxious or foul odors in my opinion.

I am extremely sympathetic to the frustration and anger that results from getting the run-around from the manufacturer and dealer on these types of problems. I think that some venting on a forum such as this is appropriate and think that the rest of us who are blessed by not having such problems could cut a little more slack to people who are being psychologically and financially hammered with a stinky car.

I also think it is extremely useful to have information about serious problems like this and how Toyota and the dealers are handling them. If Martin got worked over twice as hard because he bought his car right before the matching cladding came out, his anger and frustration are even more understandable. He is not attacking anyone on this message board by venting here. He is attacking a legitimate problem that is not being satisfactorily dealt with. The answers given are to any objective observer totally inadequate.

Again, I am totally happy with my vehicle and think that this is a valuable forum. We shouldn't take it personally when someone wants to discuss/vent about a serious issue that is not being appropriately addressed.
  • Options
    Good post. This is a very helpful forum.
  • Options
    uktruckeruktrucker Member Posts: 14
    I have a new V8 limited which is now approaching 1000 miles. In general I'm very impressed with this vehicle. However, I'm noticing an engine induced vibration in the pedals and, to a lesser extent, the steering wheel as the vehicle accelerates at around 1500-1800 rpm. The vibration doesn't occur if you rev the engine when stationary in park or neutral. Has anyone else noticed a similar problem?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to program the auto door locking to lock when placed in drive and unlock when placed into park? It seems to be possible to do one or the other but not both...
  • Options
    kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    See the manual, page 17, function (b). "push and hold the rear of the power door lock switch for five seconds with the A/T selector lever in the "P" postion." Takes a few tries.
  • Options
    Clarification: I believe you need to do this within 5 or 10 seconds of turning the key to the on position. I recommend reading the manual very carefully. It took me a few tries too.
  • Options
    docralphodocralpho Member Posts: 50
    I am considering a 4Runner, but will likely wait till the 04s come out, given the number of problems noted. Hopefully some problem items will be fixed.
    I wonder about gas mileage for V6 owners--how is it? Does anyone actually get the steel 16 inch wheels, and wouldn't 16 inch tires save some gas use over the 17s? Regarding a 2 wheel drive version--is there a limited slip differential conversion or option available for the 2wd 4Runners? And, what is the problem with the tow hitch? Thanks.
  • Options
    mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    I think the 31x10.5 tires fit onto 15" rims. If so, they might be too small in diameter for proper clearance to accompany the disc & caliper on the new Runner.

If you have 16" rims, they would probably fit fine.
  • Options
    1.Are the "Drive by wire" and "fly by wire throttle" the same thing?

Same thing.
  • Options
    martin45martin45 Member Posts: 51
    Good post Chidofu. You address several issues correctly!

You mention that you would not accept the smell problem if it continued on a regular occurrence.

I am interested in knowing how you would resolve the smell problem to your satisfaction, being aware of the uncooperative standing of Toyota and also the totally laughable solutions they claim will correct this inevitably huge and costly problem.

Peace
  • Options
    leodogsleodogs Member Posts: 23
    Chidofu's term and a very descriptive one. Now that it's starting to warm up in the North I would appreciate it if others would try driving with the two rear side windows (only) down. When approaching 40 mph and above do you find the "turbulence" as unbearable as I? I've never before owned a vehicle with this condition - have you? I don't think it happens in any other past 4runner to this degree. Why? - Once again Toyota feigns ignorance of there being a problem - just like the smell.
    ps - As promised in a previous post I'm conducting my own survey of '03s with or without smell here in Northern CT. I'll share my interesting data soon.
  • Options
    mechfred1mechfred1 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 03 4 runner limited V6 4x4 and it has unbearable wind noise with 1 or 2 or both rear windows open and i have heard others complain of this whitch i beleive should be fixed by toyota.Only little other problems sutch as rubber trim on top not secure,mud on rear door on inside bottom after rain,I have no smell,no vibrations,no clunking,no squeaks,no rattles,I also think it is a great vehicle even with the problems i have.Better than my 97 4x4 Limited.fred.
  • Options
    As always, time prevails to solidify my words. Posts from others who own this sorry excuse of a properly manufactured SUV will, and are, slowly entering into this form and are truly sharing their experiences that will validate the failures of this first year newly redesigned vehicle.

Aside from unloading this junk to some poor unsuspecting person, hopefully a dealer and who really will loose sleep over that, there are not many options available at this time to cure the disasters we were dealt with when accepting ownership of this 2003 vehicle. Toyota will just brush you off and hide behind some legal BS designed to protect themselves, and engaging in an attorney to argue the lemon law is only as useful as the dealer who provides the service invoices to substantiate your claim. Please, try.

There is a pattern of problems here. The problems are not limited to just a few. Eventually most who are keen to their surroundings will be presented with examples of problems that are clearly described by others here. Defensiveness, which is understandable to a degree, will be short lived. Most will come around. It is what it is.

Someone is driving and enjoying my 99 4Runner that I let go. Good for you!

Peace
  • Options
    kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    I don't mean to be disrespectful, but what is the total count of people who have posted with severe stink problems: two, three? I do hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction however.

As far as other problems, the only two I've noticed in a pattern are the squeaky seat(dealer fixed in an hour) and this new, cropped-up wind noise issue. I had the same issue with my '98. I attribute to a well designed, air-tight vehicle. You don't get the air noise out of a GM made vehicle for example, because the air flow pushes out other places. Riding a BMW X5, the wind "problem" is the exact same.
  • Options
    Does the V6 require premium unleaded OR can regular unleaded be used? Thanks for any reply.
  • Options
    Regular unleaded works just fine in both engines.

Toyota only "recommends" the premium for optimum performance but it's not mandatory.
  • Options
    chidofuchidofu Member Posts: 21
    I don't really know. I guess I would do the same things you are doing. Raising as much of a stink (no pun intended) about it as possible and trying to do as much damage as possible to Toyota's reputation until I got it taken care of. I think those are fair tactics if you are getting worked over to the tune of $30K.

I am very grateful I don't have the problem because I just wouldn't want to deal with the problem or the company based on what I am learning from your experience.

Like I said, I love my truck and have nothing but good things to say about it. I also understand that no vehicle is going to be perfect. I just don't think the problem you are having or the answers you are getting are acceptable.

One other problem I have had was briefly mentioned but someone else on this board. The other day I was listening to the radio and suddenly all sound cut out. I couldn't get anything to work, the radio, the CD, nothing. Even the beep that normally sounded when I press the buttons on the screen of my NAV system all stopped. The NAV system guidance voice, however, was still enabled. I tried to go into the "sound" settings in the NAV system but pressing the button on the screen had no effect. It was as if all audio was disabled. I did not recover sound until I stopped and started the car again. I have not had a problem since. Very strange.
  • Options
    I suspect that the loss of audio is a function of the NAV system. I have had no such problem with my audio system; I don't have a NAV system either.
  • Options
    beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    I think that kjack100 may be correct in his assessment of the wind noise issue. I had the same issue with my '94 and '01 4-runners. I probably has the same issue with the '91 I used to own, but that was too long ago. I haven't really tested it with my '03 yet. It has been a little too cold in the north.
    The issue was resolved by opening up the tail gate window to allow for proper air flow in the vehicle. IMHO, it doesn't matter what Toyota redesigns on this vehicle, as long as they don't touch that tail gate window and the way it current operates.
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I have an 02 Highlander and it has the same wind noise with the rear windows open above 40 mph. After much discussion in that forum it was established that this is normal in any vehicle that has an "air-tight" ventilation system and not a defect.
  • Options
    jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    Okay, it's just getting ridiculous in here now. Common aerodynamics have suddenly turned into 'yet another case of bad engineering on the part of toyota' or something to that effect. Have you EVER owned another car? I've owned three, and one thing that most humans know is.. a: if you open only ONE window, your ears are going to pop contantly and you are going to have a real depressurizing problem and b: if you open windows on opposite sides of the car, and you don't give that air anywhere to go, you are going to create a LOT of noise. Being airtight is not a trait of bad engineering. Can we try not to discuss problems of every body in motion on the planet in the 4runner thread please?

What's written below has nothing to do with a 4runner, so please skip if you don't want to read it.
    </Rant>
    And Martin, can you please cut the crap finally! Seriously, we go the point. Really. There's not a doubt you're unhappy, no doubt that everyone in here knows this, so you don't really have to plug "sorry excuse of a properly manufactured SUV" or "crap" or whatever you so desire in EVER ONE OF YOUR POSTS. Geez, get a life, return the car, move to california and get good gas, something, but please please just quit it already. I felt sorry for your problem as everyone did, but I'm telling you, it's quickly fading, and you are just annoying the crap out of me with your comments (and I don't believe I'm the only one). And yes, you have a freedom of speech, and yes this forum is here so that you CAN complain (once or twice), but at this point, I have no idea what anyone is gaining from what you are saying. It frankly is just making you look stupid in my opinion. Please, don't feel a need to reply to this, because I'm not talking about it anymore considering I don't think anything should be discussed in here besides the 4runner, I just wanted to let you know.
    <Rant\>
  • Options
    I was the one who described that problem. I do not have NAV, I have the JBL 6-disc changer. Interesting, no? Wonder what the two units have in common that might create a similar problem. Wiring hookups?

But again, it only happened that once, and has been completely fine ever since.
  • Options
    john_dodejohn_dode Member Posts: 15
    Martin - go into one of these forums and let them know how horrible your "sorry excuse of a properly manufactured SUV" has treated you. Maybe they'll convince you to buy one of their lemons.

Perpetual Ford Explorer Woes - 1839 posts - lmc5 "Perpetual Ford Explorer Woes" May 23, 2000 12:05pm!make=Ford&model=Explorer&ed_makeindex=.ee94f65

Nissan Pathfinder Club-Problems & Solutions - 635 posts - meca2 "Nissan Pathfinder Club-Problems & Solutions" Mar 2, 2001 8:01pm!make=Nissan&model=Pathfinder&ed_makeindex=.eea46ec

Jeep Grand Cherokee problems - 482 posts - milous "Jeep Grand Cherokee problems" Jun 2, 2001 4:32am!make=Jeep&model=Grand%20Cherokee&ed_makeindex=.eea888d

My point is that every build type has problems and yes it may vary from truck to truck. So:

1)Don't think you're the only one with problems because you have a 4Runner and everybody else has great other brands of SUVs.

2)Don't think we didn't sympathize with you at one point, though that empathy is quickly fading.

3)Don't chastize the entire line of the 2003 4Runner because you have had a bad experience.

4)Consider seeing a therapist for post-traumatic stress disorder, since you're making this out to be one of the worst events in your life.

JD
  • Options
    It works the same way on my '98 Audi A4. If you don't like the wind noise with just the 2 rear windows open, crack the front windows (or sunroof, maybe), too. I've found this to be an effective solution on both vehicles I currently own.
  • Options
    Talked with a Toyota parts mgr who has a 2003 4Runner. He has the V8 version, and says he gets better mileage than the V6s because "they (the V6s) have to work harder". Does anyone know if this is true?
    Would the 16 inch tires give better mileage than the 17s? And in repeat of a previous question: is there a limited slip differential option available (factory or aftermarket) for the 4x2 4Runner. Thanks!
  • Options
    kb28kb28 Member Posts: 25
  • Options
    I'd be surprised if the V8 got better milage. Both engines are plenty powerful to move the truck around. Haven't seen V6 mileages posted, but my V8 mileages have been in the high-15 to low-17 range depending on conditions.
  • Options
    kb28kb28 Member Posts: 25
    Morry, I see you received an ordered unit. Was it built to order, or just located somewhere. If built, how long did it take? I have ordered a Sport with NAV and have been told up to 12 weeks (another dealer said 6 months). I'm hoping Toyota has resolved a lot of the problems I'm seeing on this board, but some of them don't seem legit. The wind noise for one. I'm currently in a Land Rover Discovery, 2001, and with one window open it will howl and shake like wet dog. Crack another window, or the rear sun roof, though, and she purrs. I would suppose the same would be true with the 4Runner, particularly cracking the rear window, a feature the DII does not have. A lot of the other adverse posts seem to be related to operational misunderstandings that a through study of the manual would resolve. The only real problem seems to be the "stink" issue that is occurring in only a few units. Hopefully new builds won't have the problem. Anyway, HOW LONG? Thanks.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    same thing in my '90, same thing in my Matrix, same thing in every car I have ever owned that had rear windows - put 'em both down and the consequent racket and ear-drum-bashing will beat on you, especially on the ihghway. How could anyone think this is a '03 4Runner problem only? My gosh.

By the way, you are luckier than most in the Runner, because you can crack the rear window and the problem will instantly cease, as the air will flow out the back. Don't do this at low speeds, though, because if there is insufficient air flow exhaust can be sucked in (and the issue will be gone anyway).

Better yet, you can crack a front window as well - the thing is to create an air stream, rather than opposing windows "battling" each other.

On the mileage thing, they might have meant that the V-8 turns lower revs at given speeds, noticeably lower on the highway, so that you might even get the same highway mpg figure, or real close.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This message sums up the physics of the issue nicely:

tidester "Volvo XC90 SUV" Jan 4, 2003 1:19am

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I have owned so many vehicles I can't list them all. I have been driving since 1961. I frequently go on business trips and if offered a different vehicle than the one I reserved I take it, if I've never driven a similar vehicle. I have driven and owned some real POS vehicles.
     The 03 4 Runner is one of the best I have owned.
     I won't buy another Ford after my 86 E150 had a motor mount fall off, the engine tilt and go to full throttle in gear. When I had it towed, Ford told me about the recall. I had bought it new and they never sent out warning one.
       I won't buy another Dodge after my 95 Grand Caravan ate its own transmission. My 99 Honda Odyssey was a Xerox copy of the DC. Any of those could have had an exhaust that smelled like a boat load of 3 week old fish and I'd have thought they were OK.
    Kind of reminds me of my ex-wife.
  • Options
    reddfishreddfish Member Posts: 54
    Anybody having the rotten egg/ sulfur smell problem with their V8 2003 4runner, E-mail me at Tarpony@aol.com.
  • Options
    Actually, helicoptors are all designed so the blade tips go as close to the speed of sound as possible without going over it. The helicoptor "blade slap" noise (whoop whoop whoop) is only heard when the helicoptor is moving towards you. After it it is past the closest point of approach (cpa) of the observer, only the jet noise of its engine can be heard. Check it out next time you hear a helicoptor. I've had a little experience with helicoptors.
  • Options
    Ok, I'm within the 30 minute edit window so I've put quotes around helicopter :-). My experience with them has been 3 minutes flying over Mt. Rushmore in one. Did meet a guy 2 weeks ago who flies a great big Bell (?) that seats ~24 passengers.

How about a review:

"Except for its Lexus counterparts, it is the best truck-based SUV out there in terms of feeling like a car."

4Runner breaks 'staid' Toyota mold (Pittsburg Gazette)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Take it easy. You don't understand what is going on.
  • Options
    reddfishreddfish Member Posts: 54
    what if it's a Robinson?
  • Options
    I didn't even think they were being made anymore; weird url - robinsonheli.com. I'm not sure I'd want to get a "Beta II" model.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    djod49djod49 Member Posts: 12
    kb28: I've ordered three Toyota's from a dealer in Rhode Island over the years. Two were 4Runners (95 & 99), and recently a 2003 Highlander. The 95 took 3 months to the day, and the other two took almost 4 months. These vehicles were first brought to Newark by ship, rail to someplace in Mass. and then by truck to the dealer.The Highlander took the most time, but it was stuck in transit around Christmas time. Usually, once the dealer "see's" your car on the allocation sheets, they can give you a better idea of the specific arrival date. They also want to sell you the car almost as much as you want it.Hope this has been of some help
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the Gazette seemed to like the new Runner a whole lot, although they don't seem to really understand it that much - clearly not a trucker writing that article: "There's also a downhill assist control to help the car stay on course, as well as four-wheel drive, though only the V-8 version has a full-time system that doesn't require adjustments." Does DAC help maintain course? What adjustments, exactly? You mean two or four-wheel? If you mean LO and HI then the V-8 has it too, but I suspect this is someone who never finds their way onto the gravel siding of the interstate, let alone anything that could remotely be termed "off road".

:-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    delguydelguy Member Posts: 43
    I just called a dealership for a v6 limited. They told me they couldn't sell me one anytime soon because Toyota just announced a recall. Anyone know anything about this?