Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• henmobilehenmobile Posts: 13
    Jere39, I noticed the hesitation at about 4K miles (I'm at 12K now). I can't say that the problem was any less noticeable in warmer weather. I think using premium gas once in a while may have helped a bit. But, given the price of gas, I like your idea of holding the service manager hostage a lot better!

On an unrelated note, have anyone noticed a pulsation in the brakes when attempting to stop from higher speeds? Does anyone know what this might be or if a technical bulletin has been released related to this?

Thanks!
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    As a person who leases his vehicle, I don't have personal experience with anything but factory tires. I can tell you that most of my customers who spend the time to research replacement tires end up buying Michelin LTX. From what I have seen and heard, these ride better and quieter than most, without giving up off road traction. They also seem to last a very long time.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Posts: 378
    You might look into BFG or Yokohama for all-terrain tires. Both brands offer excellent tires. BFG has the "classic TKO" all-terrain or the long trail all-terrain (which is a little milder). Yokohama has the Super Digger V or the Geolander AT (milder) & AT+ (bigger lugs) all-terrains.

All of these tires have long wear and very good traction on & off road, wet or dry pavement, with strong sidewall protection.

-hope this helps
  • Can anyone reccomend any ideas or performance upgrades, web sites, for a 99 4Runner Sport Package (taka the alder Highlander package) with the 3.4 I V6 5 Speed.

I bought new and it just turned 26k and it's a great car. No problems except for me scratching the paint myself like an idiot. I also cracked my windshield as to my own fault too. I added a I and N air filter but I was looking for something more than that, but not quite the TRY supercharger (although it would be nice). Maybe a chip, and would a chip void the warranty?

I love the car but I need more go. I've owned two Celica GAS' and my buddy just picked up the new 2002 Turbot Subaru Imreza WAX and I want to get more performance without losing, the size, space, look, reliability, off road and snow capability, of the 4 Runner.

I drove the IS300 at Edmond's live in English town NJ and may think about swapping out once it comes with a manual cranny but I REALLY don't want to.

Thanks!
  • harry0harry0 Posts: 42
    This might want to talk to this guy.
    http://www.roemerp.com/
    Good Luck
    Also there is a webring at the bottom of his page that should keep you busy for awhile.
  • pisce9capisce9ca Posts: 2
    We are driving a 1995 Limited 4runner, lately the audio from the radio or ad player drops out when another electrical device is started, be, wipers, fan, brake lights. This is getting to be very annoying. Any history of such a problem before? Any ideas? The local Toyota service manager is clue less.

Pisces9ca
  • emtorreaemtorrea Posts: 2
    Hi. I am considering a 98 Toyota 4Runner. I am 6'4" and I am worried that there may not be enough leg room or head room. Are there any tall 4Runner owners that can share their experiences with me? I am currently driving a Jeep Cherokee and I have enough room. The 4Runner seems to be a bit smaller in the front. Thanks
    My taller customers sometimes have a hard time fitting in the Runner. It will depend on two things. First, the moonroof is on the vast majority of Runners and it may be hard to find a used one without it. That roof takes about an inch and a half of space.

Next, your driving position makes all the difference. If you have a laid back position, you might be OK. If you need to sit upright, you're not going to like it. I've sold a number of Tundras to tall guys who were looking at the Runners. I know it isn't an SUV, but it meets the needs of quite a few buyers and tall guys fit well. You'll get a luxury ride (nicer than the Runner), a V8 engine and plenty of size. You loose room in the back seat and it isn't as easy to park though.
  • arrisarris Posts: 5
    I am 6'4" and have enough room in the forerunner.The moonroof will be a little bothersome if you elect to get one. The wife liked it so I got it. I can live with it.
  • kumriakumria Posts: 2
    Need some help in buying a Forerunner. The 4runner I am looking at is 1997 - SR5, power windows, power roof. But the only problem is the mileage. The mileage is 76,324. I was trying to find out from experienced people if this was a good buy at $16500 + tax, tag and title adding upto to $18100.
    Please advise A SAP as I will have to make a decision by tomorrow. I am getting it from a dealership in Florida.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,209
    Did you compare the price with Edmund's True Market Value? Might help you decide if the dealer is in the ballpark.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• 4x4fun4x4fun Posts: 3
    In response to messages #296 and #298, I had both the driver and the passenger seat belts (belt and housing) replaced due to failure to retract. They should fix it under warranty. If your out of warranty it's about $150 for each. Unfortunately, I too banged and scratched the paint on the door jams due to the constant closing of the metal clasp in the door. Apparently, over time and use the cloth material of the seat belt breaks down and gets caught up in the retraction mechanism. Eventually, the cloth gums up the roller making it useless and must be replaced completely. So much for safety.
  • 4x4fun4x4fun Posts: 3
    In response to messages #297, #300 and #301 please see my message #187 posted under 4Runner Problems on 4/2/01. Join the club. Oh, and by the way, I have the Toyota Service Manager tied up in the back of my truck until this gets resolved. Just kidding. Good luck.
    He's still back there? Isn't the extra weight hurting your mileage?

Steve
    Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• stankiusstankius Posts: 17
    Can i retrofit manual transmisson into a 2001??? does toyota make manual for 2002?? It was stupid to make only auto

In my country, i do not want friends to laugh and call me woman if i get automatic so i need manual, help????
    Your only option to keep your masculentity is to find a new culture or buy a used one. I'm not positive you could retro fit one with the new 4WD system. Even if you could, it would be cost prohibitive.
  • nosrebanosreba Posts: 1
    Due to family growth, I have been looking at the 4Runner as a substitute for my CJ7. I like the look of the body and feel of the drive for the most part, but it tends to look like a soccer-mom type vehicle. I think i can alter its appearance greatly with bigger tires and a brushguard.

I talked with a few tire-folks around here because all the 4Runners i see have the factory tires and wheels, and they claim the 4Runner has a "difficult mounting to match".

I'm not talking a 3-inch lift kit with huge mudders - just some wheels and tires that are a little fatter.

Anyone have this done? What specs?
    Because the Runner uses traction control and wheel position sensors to operate its 4WD system, you might run into trouble with larger diameter tires. I'm not positive about this but it is something to consider. I'm looking at a Runner sitting in the showroom right now and I'm not sure you could stuff anything too much larger anyway.
  • rlburns1rlburns1 Posts: 1
    I have an opportunity to purchase a 1997 4Runner with 33,000 miles that has all of its records of oil changes. It has RB,Leather Steering wheel,Security,TrHi,Wind Def,Power,LuRa. To me the vehicle felt great. It is a 5speed manual. Is $16,000 good?
  • peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    Recently I have noticed that the price of new 4Runners have been coming down a little in price. Maybe it is because of the new model is coming out in 2002, or the Highlander is such a hot seller or just the general market. I found I was able to meet or beat Edmunds TMV price. I have been looking for awhile at different SUV's and I like the 4Runner the best. Now with better prices, I am no dummy, I bought one. So if your considering a 4Runner sharpen your pencils, bring your calculaters and take a serious look. (By the way, to the person asking about leg room. I am also 6'4" and it has a lot of leg room. I also noticed I needed to tilt the steering wheel closer because it was too far away. But the car is narrow and I would say hip room suffers. The arm rest is perfect for my height.) peter78
  • jere39jere39 Posts: 20
    4x4Fun,
    I saw your post regarding hesitation, and your reference to a thread titled 4Runner Problems. Is it somewhere other than SUV Group? Am I blind, (and my IE 5.5 Find also blind)?
    Found it:-). It's over in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board.

Toyota 4Runner problems?

Steve
    Host

• jf01jf01 Posts: 88
    I have a couple questions. First one involves the sunroof/moonroof (what is the difference anyway? three questions...), when I tilt it up, I notice there is a black plastic "tray" that moves forward. Would this, by chance, be something to catch water in case someone were to leave the moonroof tilted up? If it is, where does the water go/drain? If it isn't do you have any idea what it is? Second question, or maybe fourth, anyway, I put in a pair of extra foglights on my 4Runner. The only changes I made to add them were to put a switch in and attach a wire to the battery. The lights already have a fuse attached to them, but could this cause any problems with the battery or electrical system? Could you tell me what parts of the warranty I may have voided, if any? Thanks for your time.
    I wish I could answer any of your questions. I have no idea what the little tray is for and where water would be drained. I also have very little information on aftermaket items for Toyota products. Sorry.
    Toyota just released its incentives for the month of April. In the Central Atlantic Region, we now have $1000 customer rebates on the 2001 Runners. This is in addition to the price reduction that kicked in over a month ago. I assume this is due to the new model coming out next year. This only applies to VA, MD, PA, WV and DE. I don't know what other regions are offering.
  • jere39jere39 Posts: 20
    Thanks, I should have looked there before asking, that is the logical next place to look after this group.
    Regards,
    Jere
    Well, logically it could belong here too :-) The search tool doesn't always find numbers in words like it should (but we're working on it).

Steve
    Host

• I've seen where some folks were experiencing a bump after rolling forward from a stop. Is there a definitive cause and fix?
  • zellmozellmo Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 SR-5 4Runner,I am getting, what I think,is a brake grinding noise when stopping abruptly. I thought it was just the noise from sliding on ice or snow, but I just got the same noise stopping on sand. Also my stopping distance seems too far for the speed that I am going. Anyone else getting this LOUD brake noise, Thanks.