Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you drive your 4Runner far enough north, will the light start out polarized? Will all your dash lights then disappear?

Anyone watching the 4Runner version of "Survivor"?

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you drive your 4Runner far enough north, will the light become polarized?

I don't think there are any roads THAT far north! ;-)

tidester, host
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    Is it me, or should Toyota sell 4runners with an equipment package that is the same as the one's on the outdoor adventures show? Those things look sooo sweet and they look completely stock and not just thrown together.
    A special edition "Everest" model would be fun, and they could throw a mountain bike or inflatable kayak in with it.

Steve, Host
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    The Chinese beat the 4Runner-sponsored OLN to be the first to broadcast from Everest:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/south/05/21/nepal.everest/i- ndex.html

Interesting that the plastic on the ODO and JBL is polarizing, but that across the trip computer is not! It's kind of both cool and annoying at the same time. I mean, I do want to SEE what track my radio is on without tilting my head, but it's cool to see it fade in and out as I do. I suppose the novelty will wear off soon and I'll just wear my other pair of cheap sunglasses in the vehicle or something.
  • smg1062smg1062 Member Posts: 54
    Looking to buy within the next few months. Looking at the Limited 4Runner, GX470, and the RX330. Im curious as to why the lower priced RX330 has some features that the GX470 doesnt (laser cruise control, pivoting headlights, rear camera). Those items intrigue me, BUT I LOVE the new 4Runner/GX body style. Any suggestions? My ONLY drawback is the side swinging door on the GX (WHY OH WHY did they do that???)
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    If you are looking to go offroad, the RX330 won't do it for you. If you are just looking to go to the mall, the 4Runner is overkill.
  • deloiddeloid Member Posts: 18
    I have the 8cyl '03 4runner that is enjoyable on & off road.
    I have a problem with the air flow and was wondering if others have the same thing.BTW....service can't replicate...usual story.

I never use auto air (first premise) and I know how to use the recirc button.

On cool days when it is warm in the compartment (sun or garage warmth) I open the vents with AC off and all I get is hot air instead of the cool outside air.

Intermittently I get (through the vents)a strong burnt rubber/antifreeze smell when I use AC. This isn't the sulfur odor previously described.

Occasionally, when I restart my car the recirc button automatically turns on.

The AC (intermittently-darn it) will blow warm air. If I turn off the AC and just use the blower the temp is the same....when I turn on the AC again the air is cool for around a minute then fades to warm again.

probably related to the AC problem but serious safety issue....On humid/rainy days I cannot adequately dehumidify interior. Recirc off, ac on defrost on and blower full blast barely clears the misting. One deep breath of exhalation will mist the window again.

Anyone else with similar problems, fixes?

Dean
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    Why don't you use auto air ? I have mine set at 72. When it's hotter than 72 out, I get A/C (sometimes with the recirc button on, mostly not on)until it is 72 inside. When I want to defrost the windshield. I hit the top of the right button. When I want to keep the interior at 72, I push the left of the center button. I use two buttons out of all the possible combinations. I try to make my life as easy on myself as I can possibly stand. Your mileage may vary.
  • ricadriasricadrias Member Posts: 17
    I bought a 2003 sport v-6 4 runner last February.
    I always check this forum to find out about the problems that other buyers are having and I know
    that someone had made comments about the outside rear mirrors being blurred. I have been checking my mirrors since and found no problems. They were very clear. However, on my way to work this morning, the sunlight angle must have allowed me to see the problem for the first time. I saw like some big dark spots from within the inside of the mirrors as if water seeped in or as if the reflective coating is coming off. When I reached the parking lot where sunlight is not shining directly on the mirrors, it seems like the mirrors are extra clear and free from all of the above-described blurriness.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the GX has the side swinging rear door because it has the third row option...if you don't like it, get the 4Runner, which can be loaded with most of the GX's stuff in the limited, and has a regular "minivan-style" rear door.

The RX just got redesigned five minutes ago, which is why it has some features not yet available on GX...I am sure they will be available, though, before too much more time has passed.

If you don't need it for any heavy duty uses (hauling, towing, off-road) or more than five passengers, get the RX instead - smaller and consequently more maneuverable, not to mention better gas mileage and stuff.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• jorgjorgjorgjorg Member Posts: 8
    I've begun the process by submitting my requests to several dealers already contacted through Autobytel.

Thanks for your response, wish me luck.

By the way the only reason I'm not holding onto my 1990 4Runner is because I recently found it needs a valve$$$ job.

Running a 1990 4Runner V5.......
  • reddfishreddfish Member Posts: 54
    jorgjorg, If your 1990 V6 4runner needs a valvejob you my also need a head gasket replacement . Toyota issued a bulletin about this many years ago and we got the headgaskets replaced for free and a nominal charge for a valve job since the heads had to be removed anyway. You maywant to check with the service people on that. It's worth a try.
  • pickeribpickerib Member Posts: 13
    I just logged in and started to read the review for the Sequoia off the main page. It mentions that the 4Runner now offers a 3rd row seat! Is that true or a typo as I can't seem to find that in the specs. Oh I wish it true! Please can someone confirm this.
    3rd rows have been kicked around here, and if there was one available, it'd be pretty snug. One example:

andrews928 Jan 10, 2003 2:48am

I'll send a note to editorial; meanwhile if anyone can confirm that a new V8 4Runner can be optioned with a 3rd row, speak up.

Steve, Host
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    if it is possible to get 2003 4Runner Sport WITHOUT the moonroof? Thank you!
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    Yes, you can get one without the moonroof, I myself have one without the moonroof. I special ordered mine, which takes time. Now I was basically told that they weren't sending 4wd sports to california without a ton of extras, so if you live in another state, it might be possible, or if you live in cali and don't want 4wd it also might be possible. If all else fails you could special order an '04 and probably have it by november if you are willing to wait, or order an '03 and get it in 3 months or so (if they are still special ordering '03's this late in the year)!

Good luck. And don't pay for $2000 options if you don't want them. We shouldn't have to buy these huge packages by default as long as they are still called "options".

-Jared

4Runner Sport 4WD V-6 No Options (no, not even floor mats)
  • kb28kb28 Member Posts: 25
    There are two in New Orleans at Bohn Toyota. Saw them this past weekend; both are titanium and one is fairly basic. No moonroof in this neck of the wood seems fairly common.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    an SR5 with XREAS, 17-inch alloys, and (maybe) heated mirrors. And I don't want the cheesy scoop. Such a demanding, unreasonable me!
  • jill25jill25 Member Posts: 5
    My daughter has a 1998 4Runner with a tan interior. Unfortunately when we bought it from a private party the leather steering wheel looked like some of the leather had peeled away from the top and sides. We looked for a cover but were unable to find one to match. We bought a custom-fit leather one, but it fit terribly and make the wheel very bulky. I talked to Toyota and they told me a replacement wheel would run $1,000. I finally took it to a leather repairman and he fixed it so it looked better. It has been 6 months and I noticed today that it is once again peeling on the top. Do any of you have this problem? If so, how have you fixed it and do you have any suggestions. I hate to have to pay every 6 months to have this fixed. My son's 99 Tacoma also had the same problem, but we were able to find a cover that pleased him. Thanks for your help!
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    The Wheelskins seem to fit very nicely. Very snug and good quality leather. They run about $30 and only take about 45 min. to an hour to put on.

www.wheelskins.com

Autobarn.com has some good pricing on it.
  • dglasscctdglasscct Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, the 4runner does not have a third row seat as an option (yet). This may change with the '04 model but dont get your hopes too high. Edmunds and some other places mention that the 4runner has the option of the third seat but that is incorrect.
  • joanvbjoanvb Member Posts: 8
    Towing question. I'm connecting a Prodigy brake controller to the '03 4Runner factory-supplied trailer brake jumper harness...Does anybody know where to connect the green wire titled: "headlamp switch to vehicle tail lamps"? The other connections were all clear in the directions. Thanks for any insight.
  • fngfishfngfish Member Posts: 9
    You were wondering about cutting a portion of your bike rack to fit in the hitch better? I did exactly that with a yakima roc2. It took no time at all with a simple hacksaw. I now have 8500 mi. and I couldn't be happier with my sport v8. No smell whatsoever. Chris
  • jagsdadjagsdad Member Posts: 56
    Chris (aka fngfish). So you have a sport. What is you opinion of the X-REAS. I'm considering a special order of a Limited V8 2WD just to get the X-REAS. In so cal, the X-REAS only comes on the sport edition. Will it be worth the wait?

Also, I have heard all the Limited s in northern cal have the X-REAS. Anybody no if this is true.

Lastly, anybody know if the Navigation system can be added to a vehicle by the dealer, or is a factory option? I'm getting conflicting info from dealers.
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    Interested in gas mileage for V-8 and V-6 4WD for a rig that has a least 5,000 miles on it. Most mileage posts are with few miles on the vehicle. After reviewing many of the evaluations, many V8 owner rated the gas mileage as the weakest feature for the 2003 4-Runner.

Also, has anyone heard if the 5 spd automatic will be offered with the v6 in 2004?
  • forerunnerforerunner Member Posts: 5
    Joanvb,
       Don't plug the green wire anywhere. I installed a controller 3 weeks ago and was told to disregard it. Everything works fine on my tent trailer without it. Hope this helps!
    Unfortunately I had my head gasket replaced on my 1990 V6 back in '98' under that program.

I'm in the new car search now since valve job estimate is $1500(private toyo repair shop) or $2500(Toyota dealership).

By the way jaredmsd, after a call to Toyota doesn't appear I'll be able to order the 2003 Sport V6. I'd like to order 2004 now (dealers to start receiving 2004s in Aug/Sept) but zero info available on any minor changes from 03-04 except some cladding rumors heard here. I don't want to cave and just find a 03 Sport V8 a local dealer is trying to unload.

I suppose my timing and new vehicle wishes seem to simply be on divergent paths.
  • joanvbjoanvb Member Posts: 8
    for the response to my question regarding the green wire. I appreciate all the information offered here.
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    Thanks mrwhipple - I wanted a leather cover for my steering wheel and was surprised Toyota didn't offer it as an accessory (as does Honda for their cars). Now I can order one based on your suggestion :)
    Have a V6 SR5 4WD and love it - my first SUV.
    One minor problem so far: the body color cladding on the drivers door is "unsticking". I drove thru the dealer service today, he looked at it (said had never seen yet), and ordered a whole new panel.
    I asked him about the engine "tick" also and he said it was normal. Has anyone received a notice/TSB from Toyota on this yet?
    Other than those 2 minor things, I LOVE this truck.
    For those lookin at the V6/V8 - I drove both back to back and couldn't notice a discernable difference - I like the option of swithcing into 4wd with the V6 too (it's all about options ya know).
    W
  • fngfishfngfish Member Posts: 9
    I am convinced by the Xreas. My wife had a leased 2000 4runner that she let go. There was quite a difference in body sway between the two. This doesn't mean take the corners twice as fast, but everyone in the vehicle isn't going from side to side. It was one of the big reasons I got the sport, and if I had it to do over again It would be the first thing on my list again. Chris
    Thanks for you input regarding X-REAS. I also read a superb review/test drive on familycar.com, which made X-REAS sound awesome, and my own test drive confirmed the same. So I put in my build order today and I'll wait for it. I just don't get why Toyota didn't deliver more vehicles with X-REAS. Most dealers I've spoken to about it try to convince you X-REAS is just for off-roaders. But that's just because they don't have any to sell.
    My inside connection at Toyota told me there will be no major changes in 04. The front grill will be revised, but not much, cladding is gone, and maybe some new colors. He's checking on the colors for me. And there's always the chance some options could become standard.

I just put in an order because I wanted X-REAS and Nav on a 2WD Limited and couldn't find it anywhere in so cal. From what I've learned, they have the X-REAS on Limited's in nor cal, but only on 4WD, and none with Nav.

Anyway, my dealer (Carson) told me they aren't sure yet if my order will be an 03, or if it's too late and now will have to be an 04. It doesn't really matter. The dealer is charging $500 over invoice. The price could change in 04, but I can't imagine it will change much. The price effectively went down already once this year when Toyota stopped charging $600 for "upgraded" 16 alloy wheels, which are standard now.

The way I see it, I can't get what I want off a lot in the 03s, and if I get an 04 at $500 over invoice when they first come out, that will be a good deal for the new-year . But waiting 4 month sucks.

You said a call to Toyota told you no more build orders for 03s. Who did you call?
    jorgjorg, spend the money on the valve job, it'll be worth it. just my opinion, I wish I'd kept my '91. dm
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    job on my '90 some time ago, has run like a dream ever since, just crossed 193K going out to King's Canyon NP. Never needs repairs, gets better gas mileage than the new one, and more useful for offroad stuff! :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• rollie3rollie3 Member Posts: 13
    Gas mileage on the V6 SPORT, just under 7,000 miles, has averaged 20 MPG calculated by me. Computer generally calculates from 1.0 to 2.0 MPG higher per tank full. Seventy/thirty percent city/highway. I have yet to test on long interstate trip but would guess about 22 MPG. The mileage is nearly identical to my 96' V6. Not bad considering 50 more horses and about 400 pounds more weight than 96'.There is little question in my mind that the 03 runner is overall a much improved rig than either my 90' or 96'. However, the 03' does take some getting use to--it does drive, sit, and handle differently than previous models. Six or seven years from now I will know if the quality is as good as my earlier models. Lets hope so11
  • jcla7jcla7 Member Posts: 18
    Tangman, I've got about 4000 miles on my 03 LTD 4WD Six. I calculate the mileage myself, and am running between 21 and 22. On straight highway, it was a little over 22. The six has plenty of pep and it's a great ride. I couldn't tell that much difference in power when I test drove both. I am very pleasantly surprised by the good mileage.

On a different note, has anyone experienced a loss of volume control, and audio control? Every thing else works on the radio (mode, cd, eject, ect) but volume and audio won't adjust. Any ideas?

Lastly, has there been a consensus on the extended warranty discussions? I never buy them for anything, but this little radio glitch makes me wonder. With all of the new electronics, and new Six, it may make sense. The guy here sez the 100,000 7 year would be about $1200 (seems high). Any thoughts, and thanks for the usual good information I find at this site.

JC
    I recommend you get the Toyota warranty if you decide on one. Don't try to save a few $$ and get some off brand extended warranty and fight for every coverage, even the ones that are obvious.
    I wouldn't get the extended warranty for that price. Make Toyota fix the problem now for free. If you spend your hard earned money on a vehicle, the manufacturer should make it right with no questions asked. The service shouldn't end after the sale. Audio is a major component that needs to be addressed in my opinion. Good luck and don't take any b.s.
  • leej2leej2 Member Posts: 7
    First post here but I have been monitoring for awhile.
    03 SR5 V8 4WD 7000 mi
    I've been averaging between 16 and 16.5 mpg in mostly stop and go commute traffic (70/30 fwy). This is calculated as the computer reads about 1.5 better
    I too have the vibration between 15-1700 RPM. Not a big bother as you usually accelerate through it. It happens in all gears so it is forward of the transmission.
    Calif. vehicle and have not noticed rotten egg odor but I am curious... Do the vehicles experiencing this have the wind deflector in the back? Does the problem happen only with windows open? Back or side rear windows?
    I'm happy with the vehicle other than it rides a little rough compared to my old JGC. Uneven roads toss you around a bit.
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    Hi all. Our '03 Limited V8 4WD now has just over 11K miles on it. Mileage has averaged 16.8 mpg. This is a mix of driving including probably 25% city, 25% towing a 4,000# trailer and 50 % plain 'ol highway.

My best mileage came last week on a 430 mile, 70 mph Interstate highway trip: 20.3 going (tailwind), 18.2 coming back (headwind) for 19.2 mpg average. All mileage figures are calculated, and corrected for the 2.5% odo error my truck has.

Interestingly, our mileage has continued to gradually improve as we've accumulated miles on the truck, although I suspect it's about leveled off now. Also interesting, this is very close to the mileage we got with our previous 4Runner, a '98 V6 Limited.

I burn Premimum for towing and either 89 octane mid-grade or 87 octane regular gas.

-Karl
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    Thanks everyone for the milage posts. I am about to commint to an 03 and am struggling with the V6 verses V8 decision. I have test driven both, and my impression was the v8 was slightly smoother. But, the milage comments on the V8 have given me second thoughts. So your mileage posts are providing great additional information that may be beneficial to many board readers.

As for extended warranties, I have purchase a 4-Runner during their first year of a new design (96). When I had mechanical problems, toyota fixed them. Many of the warantees require the expensive routine maintenance at 30K 60K etc. I do those my self which would may violate some extended warranty conditions. So in my opinion, the warranties simply aren't worth it. But that is only one person's opinion

TM
    This just from my "insider" on changes for 04 4Runners:

A third row seat will be available, but will fold up on the sides. The third row will not be available with the navigation system or the upgraded stereo system (Bose). The Highlander will have a better available 3rd row that folds down and disappears. Unknown what "available" means--which s?

Styling will be identical.

More V8 towing capacity w/ a new towing hitch.

Tiny price hike.

Buy now or wait? Tough choice.
  • onyeiiionyeiii Member Posts: 25
    I have about 8,000 miles on my '03 4runner. On my last road trip I caclulated about 16.5 mpg - although this with a Thule box on top of the roof rack. In town I'm doing 13.5 - 14.0. Towing a 4,000 lb boat I've been getting 14.5 on the interstate. The 4runner tows like a dream, btw. I don't put it into the overdrive gear, so gear hunting is not an issue. In fact, even driving into a 30 mph headwind, I had to pay attention to keep the speed DOWN.

I generally drive 75-85 mph, and would expect improvements driving slower. I have been a bit disappointed about the gas mileage, but the positives in this vehicle definately outweigh these considerations. I also think that this fuel consumption is typical for a vehicle with this size, power, and versatility.
  • delguydelguy Member Posts: 43
    So it happened. The wife backed into our goalpost and cracked the corner piece of cladding. While it looks easy to replace and nothing else seems broken, I am worried because it will have to be painted (limited and thus body colored cladding). I have an appointment w/ a body shop next week.

1) Is it possible to just buy a piece of painted cladding over the internet or something?
    2) Does anyone know how much this sort of thing should run?

thanks,

K
  • stevehaidtstevehaidt Member Posts: 2
    jorgjorg said that the cladding will be gone in 2004. Do you mean gone, or just color-matched?
  • 2003help2003help Member Posts: 23
    Bought a 4Runner last Saturday.
    Was called by the dealer to come back in and sign a new contract because a mistake was made in my favor.
    They did not give me the $1000 rebate offered
    by Toyota.
    Is this an honest mistake by the dealer?
    Should I be happy they called me or try and get something for the inconvenience.
    They call you to give you $1000 and you were inconvenienced.
     I understand. I wouldn't even go down and sign a new contract for a paltry $ 1000.
  • delguydelguy Member Posts: 43
    Sounds like it was a mistake to me. Be happy they told you and don't trust their math next time you buy. I wouldn't expect anything extra.
    The cladding change for 04 was rumored on this board previously and did not come from me directly. The rumor was that the 04 Sports would come with color-matched cladding.

jagsdad, do you have any more info on cladding or color changes by model for 04? Your recent post #6255 said "styling will be identical". Does this mean no new color additions for 04 and Sports will still have the greyish/black cladding?

I actually don't think titanium metallic looks half bad with the off color cladding.

Thanks,
    03 vs 04
    Still-in-a-dilemma