Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• lalo2lalo2 Member Posts: 4
    So far, the dealer laughs when I mention Edmunds TMV, which, I assume is somewhat inaccurate (is it?) because the vehicle has several "port installed" options that are not listed on Edmunds. Anyway, the dealer printed his invoice for me and is offering $200 less than that figure - a price of $33,005 ($158 above the $32,847 TMV).

I have not bought the car. I stuck with my offer of $32,600 and came home until I hear from them. If I do not hear today, I'll go elsewhere.
  • djod49djod49 Member Posts: 12
    Dogwing: I agree with rogers12.I've owned a '95 SR5 & am currently driving a '99 SR5. I've had to replace two brake light bulbs, had a bushing replaced on the clutch pedal and recently had the parking brake tightened to fix a cruise control problem. Not bad for over 150K+ miles for the two vehicles. I also bought my niece a used, certified
    '94 Corolla a number of years back and paid extra for an extended warranty and never needed it.Toyota=Quality. Good luck.
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    lalo2: Hold your guns. It is the beginning of the new month, dealers don't 'deal' as aggressively in the beginning of the month. If they want your business they will call, if not, look elsewhere. Don't tell them where you obtained your pricing, just know that is what you are willing to pay based on resources.
  • goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    Dogwing -

I did a search for "Platinum" on this discussion and came up with the following excerpts from posts by Cliffy1, an employee in the Finance office at a Toyota dealership who usually had (has?) sage words of advice from "the inside". Most of Cliffy's posts dealt with questions regarding the Gold vs. the Platinum plans, but you might find these posts helpful anyway.
    -----
    As to the Gold level warranty, I don't know if it covers the X-REAS, but I really don't recommend that warranty anyway. The Platinum isn't too much more money and it does cover the CD, the moonroof, ignition coils and a bunch of other items. Stick with the Platinum plan.
    -----
    Good question. It comes down to cost. Certified cars come with a 100K power train warranty and the "wrap" is cheap, but it is only a gold
    level policy. Dealer cost is $270 and is generally sold for $700 to $800. Dealer cost on a 7/100K Platinum is $770 and is sold for $1200
    to $1400.
    -----
    Warranties are a gamble. By not buying one, you are gambling that you will spend less in repairs over the term than you would have spent on
    a warranty. Personally, due to the MUCH greater level of coverage on the Platinum plan, I think this is a better gamble. The gold level does not include things like the CD player, key locks, wiring harnesses, moonroof cables (very expensive) and other, more fragile components.
    -----
    Examples of what is covered by the Platinum but not the Gold include CD player, thermostat, traction control, fuel gauge, lock cylinder set,
    sunroof cables (very expensive by the way), wiring harnesses, oil cooler, catalyst converter, front and rear coil springs, power steering pump pulley and a bunch of other stuff. A complete description of both warranties is available at www.toyota.com.
    -----
    Until I moved into the finance office and actually started to read the material on extended warranties, I didn't realize just how much was
    covered. About the only things that are not covered are belts, hoses, fuses, light bulbs, floor mats, seat covers and head liner. There are
    a couple of others, but not much. I can easily see spending more than $1500 on covered items within 7 years.
  • puckyhuddlepuckyhuddle Member Posts: 52
    A repost of my earlier comments on the subject...

Check out toyotawarranty.com. They are a dealer in the midwest that sells toyota extended warranties. I know nothing about the dealer, but you can get a quote from them on a warranty which you could at least use to compare to your quote. A platinum 7/100K for a 4runner was quoted at $980. I believe any dealer can sell you an extended factory warranty that should be honored at any other dealer. The warranty purchase does not need to be at the same time as the car purchase. I actually purchased a Ford factory warranty on the internet recently from a dealer and saved about 30%.

Are they worth it? They do provide you with some peace of mind. I purchased one for my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee and was the best decision I've made (buying the Jeep was the worst decision). I will be buying a 2004 4runner, and will also be buying an extended warranty, since it's a newly redesigned model. No one knows what to expect from the redesign in 5 years. Also, I'm told toyota parts tend to be expensive. It's also good for resale if it is transferable.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    To help out whoever asked about accessories, you can get mats and bug deflectors and such for the 4runner at mats.com (weathertech.com).

-Jared
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    See also Toyota 4Runner Accessories.

Steve, Host
  • 4burb4burb Member Posts: 55
    On my 00 SR5 I got a quote from toyotawarranty.com ($1020 a year ago)and then got my local dealer to match the price on the 7yr/100K Plat warranty. All I did was take in the quote and show it to them. As many have said before, they are all trying to make money. Good Luck,
  • gsj3gsj3 Member Posts: 20
    Hello again, in reply to your keeping up with current forums comment, you stated that this V6 engine clicking/clacking noise seems to be a simple matter of adjusting valve clearances. From what I have read elsewhere, this is not the case. Many people have had their valve clearances adjusted without resolving this sound. This means that none of the Toyota Mechanics in this country who have given it a shot can do this simple task. I find that hard to believe. I therefore believe that this issue has not been resolved and am still eagerly awaiting replies from early posters as to their current status. Perhaps they have given up or are still waiting. I do believe I have found the post you are referring to, and this person has not resolved their noisy V6. If I am mistaken, I apologize and perhaps you can send me a private message to discuss, thanks in advance,
    gsj3
  • erisareperisarep Member Posts: 16
    106 today in Dallas. No problems with my 03 4Runner V8. No excess noise and no power reduction. While there was some additional noise from the fan accelerating from a stop light, there was no noticable reduction in engine power. This truck rocks.. Just bought my wife a Lexus GX 470. Essentially the same truck, but more refined. Did not notice any issues with it today either. Stay out of the heat....
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    I bought from Fitz in 2001 and they are definitely no-haggle. We put over 40% down on a 4-runner, and they did not budge. I did get them to budge on the trade-in value of my Legend. You might have some luck with a trade-in.

Good Luck
  • great4runnergreat4runner Member Posts: 6
    Quality man, I am trying to figure out your fix from post # 7072. I cannot figure it out. My dealer wants to take the whole headliner out, and I want to avoid that if I could. Is it possible for you post a picture of your fix?

Thank you!
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    What is the best offroad/truck 4runner model? V8 SR5? Are there any advantages to the other models that might make a better truck?
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    V6 SR5 is the best for off roading because it's the cheapest. You need all the rest of your money for tires, lift, suspension, ARB, winch, lights and a million other things. And when you sink up to your ankles in a bog you won't be as upset.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    I've read it's not very easy. Any truth to that?
  • zaadzaad Member Posts: 9
    zaad is back with his 03 4Runner !!
    I just bought an SE/4WDV8 with sunroof and rear spoiler for 30K +TTL, no other options except the stupid port added apperance package, just want to see how well or unwell? I did.
    I also paid extra $1400 for lighter saet cover leather to be added later since my wife doesn't like the dark interior which comes with the Sport edition and $1999 for extended warranty which I don't know what it covers based on what I am reading from past posts and the categories but I can cancel it within next few months if I want to.
    Thanks
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    What in particular are you looking for? As Steve pointed out, there's a bunch of posts in the accessories board, but if you're looking for something specific I'll be happy to help you locate -- I've already gotten quite a few toys.. got ashtray/cig (as it wasn't included -- wanted extra 12V outlet), weathertech bugshield, vent visors, sunroof deflector, envelope style cargo net, (ebay is a good source for some of this stuff - just use "2003 4Runner" as the search key)
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    I'm in CO, and it's been warm here lately. I've noticed extra fan noise from the engine, but no actual loss of power.

The fan noise is kind of a bummer. I like the sound of the V8 without the fan, but I guess it has to be cooled down. I'd imagine that a loss of power is probably abnormal.

Wish I could get a little bit more agressive on the exhaust tone, but I don't know if it's worth $750 (plus installation if I have someone else do it) for the Borla exhaust system. Might add a few HP, too....
  • jonnytightjonnytight Member Posts: 15
    hey everyone, i had a question, i have 99 4runner sr5, i wanted to open up the housings and remove the orange plastic cover that makes the light orange. so i will have a white light (like the backup lights), basically "clear corners". i have taken off the housing but i cant get the housing off from the plastic glass, it seems toyota has glued the plastic glass to the housing.....has anyone taken this off?
    i can by the aftermarket parts, but i wanna save some money...let me know if anyone has any advice.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I'm with you on the exhaust. I also have a BMW and want to do the same thing with that car (don't you also have an A4?). I don't want a loud exhaust, but one that sounds powerful on accelaeration and adds a few horsepower. Problem is, I can't justify pulling a new exhaust off - basically throwing it away, and paying $1,000 for a replacement. Guess we'll just have to wait for the OEM to wear out. By then (stainless exhausts could last for more than 10 years in Colorado) you wouldn't care what it sounds like anyway!
  • 714cut714cut Member Posts: 355
    I do enjoy this unique toyota feature and it's great in nice weather or to stop buffetting with sunroof open.
    The negative I have encountered with it is on muddy or dusty trails when the window gets really dirty. This makes me nervous to lower the window due to potential scratching or dirt buildup. With the other popup windows used by competitors you can still open the dirty window!
  • chortonchorton Member Posts: 149
    wash your car!!! LOL!!
  • suvowner1suvowner1 Member Posts: 33
    Have any of you played around wit hthe hill start assist on the 03 runner ? Does it engage automatically without you hitting your brakes or do you have to apply brakes to activate it ?? What if you put in neutral, will it let the 4runner roll down a hill backwards with light brake pressure ??
    I guess you don't take your vehicle off-road? I'm having trouble locating car washes out on those trails :)
    Seriously though, a poster asked for feedback on the window. I also talked to a Sequoia owner who really disliked the rear window as they had a long unpaved road to get to their house and would end up lifting the entire hatch instead of just the window unloading groceries etc.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Do you have the rear spoiler? In theory, that should reduce the problem.
    Cool feature. I've played with it. The idea behind it is that when starting on a steep hill (meaning you are stopped with foot on the brake), you don't roll backwards while moving your foot from the brake to the gas. IMHO, that would be most useful on a boat ramp.
    No I don't have rear spoiler and that would help for sure.
  • yodaroniyodaroni Member Posts: 23
    I have been reading this forum for a while now and I had every problem others have posted here specially the roof noise, I just can't justify spending $30K and have to deal with things happen to a 10 year old truck, I love toyota's and specially the 4runners, but I am glad I got rid of my 03 Sport Edition V6, ($1500 loss) but I had so many problem with it, and Toyota (the dealer) never admitted that the new 4 runner have too many issues. I will wait till they work all the bugs out. Be careful when you test drive them, take it for a long test drive, the V8 have the annoying vibration at 1800RPM or 65MPH, and the V6 have the clicking noise, not to mention the annoying roof rattle. My advise is to take it for a long test drive over bad roads.
  • mhallackmhallack Member Posts: 32
    Sorry to hear about the problems you experienced. For what its worth the V8 in my SR5 is super-smooth and very powerful. I'm still confused by some features (I find Honda controls/features to be more intuitive, but wanted a real truck), but basically no problems.
  • mhallackmhallack Member Posts: 32
    I was reading in the manual (I know, not supposed to do that), that the non-auto-on/auto-off headlamps still have an auto-off feature. I can't get it to work though. It talks about 30 seconds after the car is locked the lights will go out in position 2 or if you hit the lock button twice simultaneously (which by the way, isn't literally possible).

Is this a feature that was never implemented in the SR5 and Sport editions?
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    Cliffy, good to see you back in here. Hopefully you've been off on a fishing expedition :-)

Do you know if the Toyota dealerships will be offering XMSR Satellite Radio this fall? The 4Runner doesn't offer it, but I've seen blurbs in the XMSR press releases that it's going to be available as a dealer install. I think they will be using the Audiovox unit.

Any word?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I haven't visited this forum in months, so if this question has been asked before, my apologies...

My understanding was that when the new 4Runner debuted there was an issue with the hitch receiver not being able to use standard hitches, because the spare tire interfered with it. This resulted in a lower 5000 pound tow limit for both the V6 & V8. Has that been addressed with the latest models now on the lots? If so, has the tow rating been upped on the V8 model?

Bob
    Any word on any upgrades and/or revisions for the '04 model? Any word as to when they will be on the lots?

Bob
    It's been reported in here that the new style hitch is tubular and attaches to the sides of the frame instead of being on the rear cross beam. There are (I think) 3 or 4 bolts on each side. The rating on the hitch itself is ~7,300 lbs towing capacity. Owner's manual states the same capacities as before. With the spare tire located where it is, I doubt that you could use a very long hitch, but the 4Runner comes with its own. For hitches you already have you would probably have to get a machine shop to cut off the extra.
    I've ordered an '04 and have some information.

They started the new model year last week. Shipping is supposed to start at the end of the month with dealership delivery in mid September. Ordering is still 3-4 months, so mine is supposed to be here between Halloween and Thanksgiving.

Changes for '04:
    Colors red and green are dropped
    Charcoal seat on SE changed to stone
    Color white now available on the Limited
    3rd row seat for the SR5 and Limited, not SE
    All cladding is now color keyed to car color

Several items now standard on the SE/SR5: (I think Limited's options are unchanged)

Towing Pkg (V8) (all models)
    Tow hitch ball mount kit (all models)
    Black running board (SE SR5)
    fog lamps (SE SR5)
    HD battery (all models)
    All weather guard (all models)
    Privacy glass (SR5)
    P265/70R16 7J Alum (SR5)
    Tonneau cover (SE SR5)

The SE requires the SP package which includes a host of things:
    Sport Package
    (NH) X-REAS Shock Absorber
    Silver Radiator Grille
    Silver Door Handle/Rear License plate garnish
    Color Keyed Heated Outside Mirrors
    Tilt + Telescopic steering wheel
    Silver Roof Rack and Black Cross Bar
    Hood Scoop
    Two Tone Seat Fabric
      17" Alloy Wheels w/P265/65R17 7.5JJ
    17" Tires w/ raised white lettering
    17" Alloy Spare Tire
    13" Front Disc Brake
    Silver Accent Shift Knob
    (NE) Leather Steering Wheel w/cruise & audio switch
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I've been shopping for a 4Runner and have been to a few dealers in the process. I've seen 4Runners with the old hitch (5000 lb) and with the new hitch (7300 lb). The trucks I saw with the new hitch had 5/2003 build dates. The trucks I saw with the old hitch had 4/2003 build dates.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Is the third row seat on the 2004 LTD an option or will they all come with it? I'm shopping for a LTD but DO NOT want a third row seat.
    >Is the third row seat on the 2004 LTD an option or will they all come with it?

It's an option (TH), not standard.
    Is the 3rd row seat like that found on the Lexus GX470? Meaning a split-fold, that folds up onto the sides, and not into the floor (like the Honda Pilot)?

It sounds like they may have gotten rid of the optional 2-tier folding rear load shelf. Is that correct? Or, that it's just not available with 3rd-row seating?

Bob
  • Galileo757Galileo757 Member Posts: 37
    Hi all,
    Just purchased a new 4 runner V8 and have a few questions on the V8 engine. Where is the exact location of the oil filter and what is needed to change it, like on the side or bottom? Is the V8 engine noninterference?, just in case the timing belt should break in the future.
    Thanks a much!
    I have not heard a peep out of Toyota on this option. I'm sure dealers can make agreements with local vendors to offer this but as far as I know, it will not be a factory unit. Beware because this also means no Toyota warranty on it.
  • hotrod051hotrod051 Member Posts: 11
    I am interested in purchasing an 04 4 Runner SR5 V8 in Titanium. I live in the Buffalo area where the 2 options I am very interested in, JBL audio and leather steering wheel are not listed as available options. My first question is, is the pricing remaining the same for the 04's? The next question is can orders be made with options that are normally unavailable to that area? On a recent call to the Toyota factory I was told that Toyota does not accept special orders. I found this a little hard to believe. So I am hoping that once the 4 runners start to arrive in the dealerships that one of my local dealers will either be able to locate a 4 runner that I am looking for or be able to special order one. If anyone has answers to any of these questions or if they have had their dealer locate a car from a different zone throughout the country your response would be much appreciated!
    >It sounds like they may have gotten rid of the
    >optional 2-tier folding rear load shelf. Is that
    >correct? Or, that it's just not available with
    >3rd-row seating?

The 2-tier shelf is still available, but it conflicts with the 3rd row seat, along with the tonneau cover and trunk / deck carpet.

>Is the 3rd row seat like that found on the Lexus GX470?
    Sorry, I don't have any information on that. My GUESS, is yes, but I don't know for sure. With the different doors on the back there may be a difference
    My dealer said the new 2004 should be arriving at the end of August, first week of September and the dealer invoice is around $200 over the 2003 models. The dealer can trade another of there vehicles from other dealers for the options you are looking for. My dealer said that if you are interested in the 2004, need to order one right now to get one around September. The dealer might be able to install the options, be careful on dealer installs, sometimes the fit and finish in not as nice as factory installs.
    Special orders for Japanese built vehicles is a real trick. Most dealerships refuse to do it for a variety of good reasons. Some will but expect to wait 3 to 6 months.
    >On a recent call to the Toyota factory I was told that Toyota does not accept special orders.

I guess you called Toyota Motor Sales, not one of the factories. No, they won't take an order from you, but you can order through a dealership, providing the dealership cooperates. But it does take a long time, 3-4 months for special orders. If your dealership says you can't special order, I suggest you go to another one.

Keep in mind that there are certain things that are standard for all vehicles coming in, and you can't change that. But the leather wrapped steering wheel is available for the SR5 (standard on the Limited and part of the SP package on the SE), and includes cruise control and the audio controls. You don't mention which radio, but they are all available on the SR5.

Dealerships order vehicles with options their experience tells them that most customers want. Limited buyers want the top of the line radio, and SR5 buyers want the lower cost one.

The 4Runner is made at Tahara Japan.
  • aheckaheck Member Posts: 36
    Hi group,

Trying to decide whether to go with an '03 now, or wait for an '04 with the 3rd row seats.

Currently, I guess the goal is to make it to invoice, plus or minus. When the '04 comes out, how long will it take to get to that same negotiating power? i.e. how much is reasonable to expect for the new models in Sept/Oct/Nov?

Also, does anyone know how much the 3rd seat option will be for the '04's?

Thanks!
    Aaron
  • qualitymanqualityman Member Posts: 15
    Yea, I could post a photo if I knew how.

The fix was rather simple. In between the headliner and roof on the right side (just above and rear of where the passenger's right ear would be) is a railing assembly the holds the sunroof rails. If you look just opposite of the curved portion of the roof there is a bolt hole. I wedged stacked vinyl adhesive backed pieces above the hole to tighten up the railing assembly, just as if a bolt had been installed.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Yea, I could post a photo if I knew how.

Click on the "Town Hall Help" link - top left column on this page - then scroll down. It provides all the information you need to post a pic!

tidester, host
    I was in the same situation with the 2003 or 2004 4 runner. The dealer in my area was willing to go invoice with the 2003 in stock, but on the 2004 the dealer wanted at least 800 above invoice and said the deposit for the 2004 needed to be placed now for any chance of September delivery. I choose the saving instead and did not want to take a chance on missing the September delivery date. I talked to the 1-800-go-toyota national customer service and corporate headquarters, they said that the 2004 4 runner only had cosmetic changes and a few hundred US dollars added to the MSRP. My dealer told me the 2004 invoice would be $200 more than the 2003, but would not sell it for at least $800 over invoice.