Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• intmed99intmed99 Posts: 485
    The 5.3L V8 has been out much longer than the 4.2L I6. I think it has been in the GMC/Chevy trucks for a long time. In addition, the transmissions from GM have been bullet-proof...that is what GM is known for!...or, at least, that is what i've heard.

With the increase weight of the XL, i don't think the 4.2L I6 will cut it.
  • What I meant by new engine was new for the Envoy XL. But you are right, the 5.3 is used in other applications and is paired with the M30 4-speed auto transmission in the Yukon as well. Maybe the sales guy was yanking my chain.

The curb weight is only about 350 additional lbs. for the XL. It takes about 9 seconds to get from 0-60 vs. 8 seconds for the standard Envoy. Not too bad. But alas, this is the 4Runner thread...
  • tfuzztfuzz Posts: 93
    Does anyone know if the oil filter for the V8 '03 Runner is the same as for the '02 Sequoia with the V8 engine? I am ready for my first oil change at 5,000 miles but cannot find which filter it uses (the part number is not in the owners manual, and none of the web sites I checked have the '03 Runner listed yet). I don't live near a Toyota dealership so I'll have a local place change it for me (with Mobil 1), but I prefer to supply my own filter--AC-Delco UltraGuard Gold. I have several UPF 53s on hand from other Toyotas I have owned, so I hope this size also fits my Runner.
  • this is from other forum, but any others out there (any model year) notice fore/aft and side-to-side squeaks in driver's seat? mine appears bolted down ok. i weigh 215. no matter what, i LOVE this vehicle (as much as i can without being idolatrous).
  • sivi1sivi1 Posts: 82
    the reason 96 to 02's shift all the time when in OD is very simple, the engine does not have enough torque. i have a s350 mbenz diesel that weighs over 5000#, and it never shifts out o.d. on a highway even if you going up long grade. this is same reason i got rid of my 97 4runner, and bought a 02 pathfinder, it almost never shifts going uphill. proably would go back to 4runner with new engine if it has enough TORQUE.
  • pschreckpschreck Posts: 524
    Pathfinder: 240hp @ 6000 rpm
    265 ft-lbs @ 3200 rpm

4Runner: 235 hp @ 4800 rpm
    320 ft-lbs @ 3400 rpm

I'd have to say that the 4Runner has a bit more torque than the Pathfinder now.
  • I have a 2000 4Runner 5sp manual. Initially the transmission shifted perfectly smooth. After a couple months, it began shifting roughly into second gear. A knock sensation can be felt through the shift lever as it goes into second. The problem does not happen all the time. I first noticed it after returning it to 2H after using 4H for the first time. The dealer has driven it and doesn't think there is a problem. They claim they don't feel the rough shift. If I shift slowly into second, the transmission grinds sometimes. I think the "knock" / rough shift I feel when shifting normally, is actually the transmission getting pushed through a grind. I've written several letters to Toyota Canada and even send them a video showing the transmission grinding when it is shifted slowly into second. When they saw the video, they agreed there was a problem, but wanted a dealer to witness it first hand. I took it to the dealer, they saw and felt the grinding, but said any transmission will grind if shifted slowly. They also, could not feel a rough shift when shifting normal speed and said there is nothing wrong with it. The problem only seems to be with second gear. It doesn't happen all the time. And, it seems to shift a lot smoother if the truck has been driven for a LONG time (over an hour). Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • You could have a bent shifter fork. If it is, it will get worse over time and not cheap to replace. Unfortunately, they have to drop the transmission and crack it open to get to it. It's the labor that's expensive.

The worse shift feel happens from 1st to 2nd and can be a little sticky from 3rd to 4th.

It's a strange feeling, as if it's not shifting completely into gear sometimes. Otherwise, it's can feel like you're forcing it in & out gear with a rough or clunking sound. Similar to a bad clutch.

Hopefully it's not this serious.
  • sivi1sivi1 Posts: 82
    you're comparing a v8 4.7 toyota to 3.5 v6 in pathfinder, and 3.5 in mb diesel. lets compare apples to apples! the old toyota was a weak [non-permissible content removed] 3.4 v6!
  • Thanks for your reply. I'm curious... is this a problem you have experienced? And if so, did you manage to get Toyota to repair it under warranty?
    Do you think a bent shifter fork would cause a rough shift only some of the time (as in my case)? Do you know if it has been a common problem? Sorry for all the questions:)

Your description of feeling like it "has to be forced in and out of gear" sounds familiar to me. Especially in cold weather, I've found that it is extremely difficult to get out of first, it clunks into second very rough, and then requires lots of force to get it out of second.
    Would a shifter fork problem be worse in cold weather?

After 2 and a half years of trying to get this problem sorted out, it is encouraging to get a new lead. None of the service people have ever mentioned the shifter fork before.

I'd appreciate any other info you have on shifter forks (or where I might be able to find more info on the web, etc.).

Thanks for your time and all your help.
    Maybe so, but you're comparing a diesel to a gas engine! You're also comparing your old Toyota to your new Nissan!

Hey, I like Nissan's cars, but they ARE a little weak in the SUV line.
  • I purchased a 98 4Runner a month ago. I had never driven one before and wasn't quite sure what to expect. Needless to say, I thought that I had gotten a great deal and was very satisfied with my purchase. However, I have now had a passenger, who happens to be a 4Runner owner, that tells me that the noise in my wheel is not normal. The truck drives fine and handles well...but it does have a noise that accelerates as the tires do. I thought it was simply the tires. He says no. Any ideas? Or should I call a mechanic right away? Thanks for your help!
    Had go back and check. I WAS comparing the 2003 Pathfinder with the 2003 4Runner. I can't help it if Nissan isn't offering a V8. Just like I can't help it if Toyota isn't offering a diesel in the 4Runner like MB offers.
  • peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    I love when people that don't own a 4Runner come on this board and slam it. Yes, the 4Runner tends to downshift on hills. Besides the (by today's standard) low power the gearing with the 0.705 overdrive makes the engine turn over quite low at highway speeds, for better fuel economy. On my 4Runner I am running 2,000 RPM at 67 MPH. Yes, downshifting when the cruise control is on and on steep hills and with a lot of stuff is a problem.

Since were slamming here. Lets talk about the great Mercedes. I remember when I was looking for a SUV in 2000, I read Consumer Reports. As I recall, the Mercedes SUV was like 150% worse than average on reliability, while the 4Runner was 78% better than average. In other words the Mercedes reliability was in the toilet.

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/mbquality.htm

I also considered the Nissan Pathfinder. Here are a few things I didn't like.

1.) Power Steering, not being speed sensitive, felt over assisted at highway speeds. It felt like my parents Buick, (not a good thing).

2.) Crash tests were OK to Marginal while the 4Runner was Good.

3.) Pathfinder had a small trunk and a small payload.

4.) No frame, but a uni-body. Some people desire a full frame, like me.

5.) Use of premium fuel, I didn't like paying 20 cents more for each gallon I used.

Now you noticed I didn't slam the Mercedes and Nissan on their boards, but since your visiting I felt it was OK to respond.

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    I went to the Washington DC auto show yesterday, and they had a new 4.0 V6, Multi-Mode 4WD Limited on display. I understand they're still about a month away from being at the dealers, according to one of the sales reps there.

Question for Cliffy, or anyone else in the know:

While there I was eying up a Tacoma Double Cab with 4Demand 4WD. Two of the Toyota sales reps there swore that the Tacoma 4Demand has full-time 4WD capability, that you could drive it year-round in 4WD without any adverse axle binding, etc. Is that true? If so, that's great to know.

Bob
    Try and sit in a 3rd gen 4Runner...pure quality and solid structure.

Did you know that the rear door armrest on the Pathfinder/QX4 is hard plastic??!! Cheap.

Look at Pathfinder's suspension components...cheap. Stamped steel front control arms. Wimpy shocks. Thin skidplates.

Cheap Unibody structure. Just does NOT feel solid when you close the doors!

Interior materials felt cheap. Hey, where's that rear legroom??

Payload sucks. Many quality issues. Oh yeah, can you even drive with All-Mode 4wd at highway speed???? Gear-whine. Cheap 4wd system. Sorry, actually, AWD system...that's right, all-wheel drive!

Oh yeah, how's your RESALE value?? Why do you think the Pathfinder with the CAR-based engine cost less than the 4Runner???????

Need i say more?
    Thanks, that's what I thought too, part-time only. However, both these "Toyota" reps swore otherwise—and I pressed them on this issue too.

That being the case, and since there is a 4WD *button* on the transfer case gear shift, can you operate the vehicle in 2WD low range? The way it's set up, it looks as if you can?? If you don't put the 4WD button, but move the transfer case into low, it would seem that you would have a 2WD low mode. Is that incorrect?

Bob
  • peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    Actually the Pathfinder was my second choice. Yes, I had those 5 issues with it, but it doesn't suck, of course neither does the 4Runner. I don't know what it is about Pathfinder owners coming on this board and slamming the 4Runner. Maybe it is a inferiority complex. I mean I don't go on the Pathfinder board and tell them the Pathfinder sucks.

------------------------------------

Off-Subject: Intmed99, after reading some of your posts in the last 6 months, I am guessing you started a NEW 4Runner board for owners of the 4Runner. Are you part of the new 4Runner board or am I just making a terrible guess? Either way I hope www.toyota-4runner.org finds a good following.
    Yup, i started that board over a month ago. I needed a place to put all of my "interests" into. I had a lot of information stored on various sites, so by doing this, all is where i want it to be. In addition, i like car-debates....

I am Thai on that website. I would be more than happy to see a fellow 3rd gen owner on that board!
    On my 4Runner, whenever i shift into 4-LO, the 4wd system automatically turns on. However, i tried only once. Conclusion: i am not sure.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    The V6 is actually out now. We have them.

Also whatever Toyota rep told you that about the Tacoma was on drugs.
    What is it about car shows, that causes manufacturers or dealers to put their most inept personnel out there to represent their wares? I had the same experience talking to reps from other brands too.

Arrugh!

Bob
  • I am still interested in any info on wheel bearing problems.
  • Well, I moved out from 2002 4runner Ltd to 2002 Pathfinder LE. I think every people has different view with their cars or brands. None of these sucks or are cheap, it's just what we feel when we look at it. If we don't like the vechile than we give negative thoughts. Pathfinder is as good as any SUV's out there as well as 4runner. Both have weakness and plus side. One thing I didn't like about 4runner was the power and when going up hill it kept shifting to downshift which bothered me a lot, but rest were perfect. However, with pathfinder no downshift at all and I'm happy with that, but has lot of rattlings from dash and steering column. Well, I am used to it. Both are great anyways.
  • Lo mode on all of the Toyota 4wd vehicles will always be in 4wd lo. they don't have the ability to go into low mode without being in 4wd. It engages the transfer case (or center differential) in 4WD and uses lower gearing. I'm not at work right now, so don't hold me to this, but as far as I know most of the systems need you to actually engage the 4wd hi before shifting the lever into the low range.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • khaugkhaug Posts: 64
    I owned a '98 which developed a noise that sounded exactly like a wheel bearing beginning to go bad. It turned out to be very mild cupping of the front tires. When I rotated the tires front to rear, the noise all but went away.

Often, a wheel bearing that's gotten rough can be diagnosed by swerving the vehicle back and forth in broad arcs, so you load first one side, then the other. If the noise changes as you load, then unload each side, likely it is a wheel bearing. For example, if the bad bearing is on the left and you turn left, you're unloading the bad bearing and the noise will diminish.

Good luck. My '98 was a great truck. I hope my '03 will turn out to be as reliable.

-Karl
  • khaugkhaug Posts: 64
    A couple of things you might consider:

The first thing I think of anytime there's a problem shifting a manual tranny is that the clutch isn't fully disengaging. If the clutch engages when the pedal is very low in its travel, this is likely to be the problem. Try jacking up the rear wheels, engaging 1st or 2nd gear, then depressing the clutch pedal. If the wheels don't stop turning within a couple of seconds, you've diagnosed it. Most likely either a clutch bleed job or adjustment of the pushrod for the clutch master cylinder will cure the problem, although it could be a mechanical problem with the clutch itself.

I've cured problems shifting when cold on two cars by draining the factory tranny lube and replacing it with Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic gear lube. The difference in one case (Porsche 944) was just unbelieveable. If Toyota says 75w-90 is OK for your tranny, I'd sure give it a try.

Good luck.

-Karl
    How come the '02 4Runner did not have the JBL sound system??? It seems like every other Toyota has the JBL as an option, including Highlander (similar 6-speaker setup). I was disappointed when i heard the JBL system in the Highlander. The 4Runner sure cost a lot...and yet, it did not have the JBL option. Thanks.

Also, do you know the power rating on the 2002 4Runner Limited radio??
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Sorry, can't answer that one.