Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    Sometimes dealers add profit to this fee. I paid $350 for my last Honda and $390 for the 4Runner at Atlanta Toyota in Georgia. Non-negotiable.
  • jbhncjbhnc Posts: 16
    So I took my 03 4runner (v8 4wd ltd) for some light offroading last week in the mtns of GA. I used to have a LR Disco so this is a good comparison.

gravel roads: Perfect, very predictable and hard to power slide. Seemed not to hit that harmonic on washboard surfaces as much as my disco did. Running boards and mud flaps kept most of the gravel off the side of the car.

tight offroad: Very predictable. Suprisingly good turning radius. Easy to use 4 lo (although it did miss coming out once and made a nice grinding sound). Good visability. I would consider it equiv. on this type of trail as my Disco was. 4wd was much easier to use, the diso was kinda a pain getting into low when stopped

scratches: Took a nice wheel to wheel scratch from a stick. Rubbed out very well, especially on the cladding (painted on my LTD). Glad I got silver!

negatives: A rattle formed coming from my sunroof somewhere. Only occured on bumpy roads so it will be tought to pinpoint for the dealer. Hopefully it will either go away or start occuring on surface roads.

All and all, very impressed. I don't do any real serious offroading so I would consider it equal to my Disco where I was...plus it is bigger, more powerful (nice on the mtn roads!) and I am sure the runner will be _much_ more reliable.

J
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    did you do anything that would challenge running clearance or low departure angle? Is it roughly equivalent to the Disco on those fronts as well?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

approach, departure, and ground clearance aren't as good as the disco. I didn't really tax it (not that crazy) but didn't run into any problems on some skewed humps on an up hill.

One negative is that the disco ('96 series I) had a solid chunk of steel for the front bumper that was able to support the entire weight of the truck (I have pictures :) ) where as the 4runner has a normal plastic bumper.

That being said, my final two choices were a 03 disco 4.6L or a 03 'runner. I drove the runner the day it came out and bought one two days later.

J

• I don't know about November but the Lexus RX300 sales figures were down almost 1400 cars from last year of approx 6,000 cars in October. As far as the 4Runner on dealer lots, my 3 local dealers had a total of 5 4runners as of last week. I'm still not sure on how this reflects on demand since one of the dealers offered a $40,126 MSRP Limited for slightly over $ 36,200.
  • What bank did you get a rate factor of .0016? That is one heck of a deal. What was the residual??

Thanks!!
    For those of you that saw (or are watching) Global Extremes, not a lot of 4runner clips but they did have one quick shot of a runner with A-bar, hella's, gear basket, etc.

Anyone know where/when the A bar came from?

BTW: The commercials during the show are mostly for Tacoma??
  • Just curious if anyone has heard anything about a hybrid powerplant in the 4runner's future? It's my understanding they typically can produce similar power to a gas only engine, but greatly improve mileage.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    I have heard reference to is a Highlander one. I would think they would see how that goes before branching out to other SUVs.
    their focus for hybrid powerplants in the next couple of years is the mainstream people haulers...after RX and HL, which will have hybrid powertrains available in a year or so, the next model they will focus on for hybrid is the Sienna.

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    Toyota FJ Cruiser concept

It's been known for some time, that Toyota is going to market a vehicle to go head-to-head with the Nissan Xterra. This could well be a hint of what they have in mind.

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_047175

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_047174

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_047173

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_047167

Bob

• goltgogoltgo Posts: 54
    rsholland, thanks for putting up those links. The view from the front is great. Dunno about the large rear pillars, though. Overall, I think the vehicle's lines resemble what a H3 might look like.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Posts: 378
    The shifter fork problem led to intermittent hesitation. But it progressively got worse to the point that I was fighting to get it in & out of 2nd gear. That was the worse gear change.
  • thanks for the posting that is sweet looking
    Looks like GM got a hold of it.
  • Needs more cladding!

And Toyota really needs a SIXTH entrant in the SUV market ...
  • Hey,
    I just bought a 98 4-Runner SR5, and Im looking for sites where I can find the following.

1) A maintenance schedule, It didnt come with one.
    2) A bug shield - for cheap.
    3) A new Rear Bumper - some damage to one of the corners.
    4) A cargo cover - you know the shades behind the seat that pull out and cover the crap in the back.
    It didnt have that either.
    5) A cargo mat (preferably made of rubber - like the one I had in my Subaru)
    6) Good enthusiast sites on 4-Runners.

Thx,
    Dave
  • ...in my '03 LTD, too. Wasn't there when I bought it, started out small, now it's big (you can hear it over the slightest bumps in the road.) Hope they don't have to tear out the headliner to fix it!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,157
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you when to do stuff, and will estimate what it should cost.

Try a search engine for other sites - our beancounters frown on giving free ads to competing forums. Thanks!

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I am planning to purchase either a sr5 v8 4x4 or the sport v8 4x4; any thoughts on which is the better choice? Also, I will be purchasing this in TN .. has anyone purchased a 4runner in TN and if so would you share your price?

Thanks
  • khaugkhaug Posts: 64
    The Sport includes the X-REAS suspension package, the 17" wheels/tires and slightly upgraded front brakes. Otherwise, it's pretty much cosmetics, like the nonfunctional hood scoop, different upholstery fabric and such.

IMHO, the suspension and brake upgrades are very worthwhile.

-Karl, '03 Limited V8 4WD 4Runner, Titanium
  • sovangsovang Posts: 56
    Does anyone know if there is a TRD S/C for the new 03 4runner v8? I would like to getone if it exists.

SV
    They do have a S/C for the V8 for the tundra and I think the Sequoia. It's the same engine, but I don't know if the plumbing is different for the new runner though. You might be able to check the TRD site. I think it's around $4000 - $5000.
  • beagles3beagles3 Posts: 132
    Awhile back I had several posts concerning the downshifting issues with my 2002 Limited 4x4 and I have some answers and another question?

On my 99 SR5 I never used or had to use the ECT button that is up on the dash because I did not have the downshift problems,but, after talking with Toyota and a pretty savy service tech, I have found that in the 2002 year that the Toyota/ emissions went LEV and that's why the rpm's are slightly lower than my 99 when cruising. The power is still there ( I am happy and have always been because of the good torque and smoothness),but, hidden? I have found that using the ECT button that it changes the shift points and helps,but, the question is that if it would damage anything in the engine/transmission by driving it this way all the time? I drive in the city at slower speeds (40 and below),but, on the highway I drive anywhere between 55 and 110,so, I don't want to damage anything?
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    This does two things. First, it induces the transmission to downshift more readily when accelerating. Secondly, it typically has the transmission stay in the lower gears longer to have the engine stay further into its powerband when accelerating.

Now all of this is ONLY when accelerating. You should not see ANY difference when just going down the street at a constant speed. It will effect gas milage due to higher engine speeds when accelerating, but if most of your driving is highway, you should not see any major reduction of MPG.
    Funny, I always wondered if I would use this button. I have about 4500 miles and I just checked my gas mileage and I am getting about 18.5 mpg with 70% fwy driving at 75+.

Thanks...
    will not damage the trans to drive with it on all the time, but it might wear it a little more due to more shifting (down when you hit the gas). I am sure it will be fine to do so.

Thanks to both for the ECT info:)