Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• I have towed my boat once so far with my V8 2003 4runner sport. The boat weighs about 2500 lbs. empty, so include trailer, gear, etc. we're probably up to 3000 lbs. Results: after I got used to seeing that big old thing in the rear-view mirror it was easy to forget it was there, and I had to watch myself to keep the speed in a safe range (found my self cruising at 80). The load was pretty much inivisble until hitting the gas pumps (again, and again, and again) got an average of about 11 mpg while towing, 350 mile drive. OH yeah - STRONG headwind that day. IIRC Toyota recommends brakes for any trailer over 1000 lbs.
  • I have had good luck with weathertech mats - I think they have mats sized for the '03 4runners now. Find them at www.mats.com.
  • www.weathertech.com
  • HELLO
    I AM CURRENTLY IN THE MARKET FOR THE LIMITED 4RUNNER 2003...I HAVE BEEN TO THE DEALER 2X'S TO DRIVE IT....WHILE WAITING IN THE SHOWROOM, I OVERHEARD ALL THE NEGOTIATIONS GOING ON...I HATE THAT PART..I FOUND THE SALESPEOPLE NOT BUDGING MUCH AND HIGH PRESSURE. I READ THE INTERNET BUYING VS SHOWROOM..HOW MUCH DID SOMEONE PAY FOR THE LIMITED AND THE SPORT, I NEED A FIGURE SO I KNOW WHERE I MIGHT STAND BEFORE I START THIS NEGOTIATING AND TO SEE IF IT IS FEASABLE OR NOT. I REALLY DIDN'T WANT THE 2002 MODEL...I ALMOST WOULD BE WILLING TO WAIT ANOTHER HALF A YEAR IF I HAVE TO...PLEASE HELP ME. I HAVE BEEN WANTING ONE FOR TWO YEARS..I WANT TO FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH MY NEW DEBT....
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,129
    Check the True Market Value, and maybe try some internet car shopping.

(And all caps are hard to read, ergo the yelling comment)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sdeamesdeame Posts: 14
    I am looking for a Limited 4 Runner 2003 and I am wondering how others have done for price.

Thanks for the help
  • I AM IN MASSACHUSETTS TOO....I WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT QUESTION ALSO....I HAVE SHOPPED IN NORWOOD, MA.....I DON'T CARE FOR THE SALESPERSON, AND I DON'T WANT TO PAY OVER...I HAVEN'T EVEN DISCUSSED PRICING WITH THEM YET FOR FEAR OF A MISTAKE...I AM LOOKING FOR PRICING ON A V6...I WILL TRY TO QUOTE THEM ON LINE AND LET U KNOW...
  • Please turn your Caps Lock OFF. It's considered yelling in case you may not know already. If you keep writing it that way, I must think you are too lazy to capitalize selectively (in which case I prefer you use no capitalization at all) or your Caps Lock key is stuck (get a new keyboard.)
  • vodgutvodgut Posts: 162
    I've done my internet car shopping to find the 2003 Limited 4x4 V8 in Pacific Blue that I want. After doing a dealer trade at the port (apparently there's only one of these destined for this 6 state region in this upcoming allocation), looks like it should be in late this month or early next. Definitely looking forward to it.

I found better prices online than I did at dealerships themselves after talking price. Saved about $450 between discount in price and having no doc fees.
  • beagles3beagles3 Posts: 132
    It's best to do your homework....My husband does not have time to wheel and deal nor the patience for the games,so, my word of advice is to study the product and it's options. Don't mix apples with oranges and keep your mind made up as to what package you want. READ the sticker as to what packages are on the vehicle. Don't make the mistake of buying before you know what you are actually looking for! If you want the x-reas susp, then price vehicles with that option. Don't misconstrue a V8 Sport with a V6 Limited. KNOW your product because you will be well educated for your impending purchase. Protect yourself from vulnerability of the game. I wanted my 2002 Limited so bad for so long that I had to practice patience and firmness when dealing (especially being female)...

Good luck...
  • Got an '03 V8 Limited and i REALLY like it. I do have 2 questions though:

2 separate topics here:

1. Rear wiper blade in winter conditions
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    I've done some winter driving here in the Colorado mountains. The rear wiper blade ices up really easy and becomes useless. Has anyone tried to find a "winter" style replacement blade?

When I ask for a winter blade everyone thinks I'm crazy to want a new blade for an '03 vehicle, but what's the point of even having a rear wiper if it's useless?

2. VSC (vehicle skid control)
    ---------------------------------------------
    Before owning the car, I assumed that VSC would increase you ability to maintain control on slick surfaces, especially while turning. Actually, it simply cuts engine power when it senses "too much" slipping. The "too much" is some amount that they decided on as there can be some slipping without VSC turning on. My conclusion after having VSC kick in in real winter driving situations is that the unpredictable behavior when VSC kicks in, is worse that the unpredictability of spinning a wheel. It's not that big a deal, since it only it kicks in when accelerating through turns at intersections (for my driving habits anyway), but it was annoying.

The way the '03 4Runners are set up, the VSC is ALWAYS on if the center differential is open. There's only one button that controls both features. I wish I could turn on the VSC but keep the center differential open. Sure you can always turn off the VSC but your center differential is closed then. That's fine when it's a winter storm and there's no dry pavement, but for varied conditions (some ice/snow and some dry pavement), I don't want to forget that I have the center differential locked off.

Does anyone know if another button could be added to be able to separately control the VSC from the center differential?

Thanks,
    Eric
  • dc661dc661 Posts: 71
    Not sure if this was posted already, but I just read that the 3rd row seating will be an option on the 2004 4Runner. The Lexus GX470 (sister to the 4runner) currently offers this option.
  • First of all, I did not know about the caps/Yelling deal. i do not spend a lot of time on line, and my keyboard works.
    Second; thank you for your help-everyone. i found this site & all the information on negotiating very helpful. i am now convinced to buy my 4-runner v6 lmtd, on line...i do have a queston: is it true that at the end of february the sport will be available without the hood scoop?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Thanks! :-)

tidester, host
  • I think the Sport without the scoop is called the SR5....
  • I too hated dealing with the sales staff. I went through cars direct.com and you get the option of buying through them or being set up with a dealer. I went through the dealer and worked with the fleet dept. They were direct and gave me bottom line pricing. $500 over I will not buy another vehicle any other way again!!
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    The difference in diameter of the 265/65/17 is .1% larger than the 265/70/16. The speedometer error is 1/10 MPH between the 2.
    The circumference of the 17 inch is 96 in, of the 16 inch is 96.2 inches. So the 16 inch goes 659 revs per mile to the 17 inch 660 revs/mile. The only differeces other the rim size is sidewall size. The 16 inch has a sidewall of 7.3 inches, the 17 inch is 6.8 inches.
  • The speedometer is off by about 1 to 1-1/2 percent on my 2003 4Runner Sport with 17" tires.

A few days ago I was driving on the freeway with 66 mph showing on the speedometer, and my GPS said I was going 65 mph.

I think that's fairly typical for all cars.
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    I would guess that a 1/10 of a percent difference in speedometer error between the 16 and 17 inch tires is lost in other inaccuaracies. Speedometer error/ outside temperature and altitude affecting the air pressure will probably all be more significant than 1/10 of a percent.
      The tires being the same size explains why the ground clearance is the same for both 16 and 17 inch tires.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    On the 4WD models, the only reason the rev limiter would kick in is NOT due to the wheels slipping. It is because lateral skid has been detected. Your accelerating through a turn was about to throw you sideways through the intersection.

The answer to your question is no, there is no way to disable this feature without locking the center differential.
  • The Toyota site shows the difference between the v6 and v8 as only 1 mpg. However I test drove some 4runners today and the window sticker shows the v8 (15,19) and has the v6 listed at (17,21)
    That's the 2WD. I think that 4WD is 2 MPG better in town and only 1 on the highway.
    In my 2002 Limited 4x4, does the VSC work both with 2wd and all-wheel (4wd) mode? I was wondering because the all-wheel drive mode uses more gas and on mornings when it appears to be icy (and I am not in 4wd), I was wondering if it works? I could run the veh in all-wheel drive all the time,but, don't feel the need because of our mild winters up here in the NW.
    On your 2002, the VSC works all the time, however in the 4WD mode that rev limiter is turned off in connection with the TRAC. It is still active with regard to lateral skids though.

BTW, have you checked your mileage to make sure it is worse in 4WD? Many people assume this but there are a few folks in the Sequoia topic who have different real world experience. Sometime when the weather is nice, try one tank of gas in 2WD and one in 4WD. Make sure you are doing the same kind of driving each time and under similar weather conditions. The Sequoia owners who have done this found the difference was less than 1 MPG.
    No, I have not checked and yes, I just assumed because when we do (from time to time) have snowy weather, the gas mileage goes down a bit. Now, keep in mind, I did check when I had my 99 SR5 and my mileage (with the other 4wd set-up) went from 19-20 down to about 17 when engaged in 4 wd drive for a tank of gas. I will be quite pleased if the gas consumption is pretty equal in the new model and will be more prone to utilizing the 4wd.

Thanks...
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Posts: 127
    <BAD ADVICE/>
    You can pull the fuse out that controls the VSC, but I'm pretty sure that it controls ABS as well. So there you go, if the fuse box is in arms reach, clamp a little clamp on that fuse, and you now have a switch.
    </BAD ADVICE>

Hope that helps,
    Jared
  • Hello Everyone,
    I&#146;m looking at a 2002 4Runner
    9300 miles
    Color: Silver Millennium

With these options:
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof, 16" Aluminum Wheels, P265/70R16 tires, HD brakes, 4.10 axle ratio, Chrome Wheel Molding, Cargo mat, Towing Receiver Hitch, Rear Wind deflector, Roof Rack, Chrome Running Boards, Certified Used from Toyota Dealer.

Price: $23,200 before title & taxes

I'm in Southern California.

Is this a good deal?

Thanks for your help.
  • 1.While test driving today the Sales pro told me that he had never seen a Limited with XREAS and that it would take 2 months to get one with that option. Has anyone had an experience to the contrary?

2.Does the Gold warranty cover XREAS? I am sure that the Platinum will.

3.I am getting alot of different opinions on Sport model with Appearance pkg. I had a guy at 1-800-GOTOYOTA look into for me and he said it would be available in 1 month. However a Dealer today told me that it would not.
  • vodgutvodgut Posts: 162
    On the Limited, I believe it's regional. Some regoins get all the Limited's with X-REAS (like they do around here) and some regions seem to get none of them with it. You might have to special order one (probably 4 months, from what I've read in here) if they're not available in your region - check www.toyota.com and 'build your own' for the 4Runner with your zipcode to find out. You could also try and go to a dealership in a different region and bring the vehicle back if your timeframe doesn't allow for a special order.