Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    Sounds like what you need is a LR Defender. ;)

As to the Expedition's durability, I'm sure Ford wouldn't have risked their reputation on IRS if they didn't believe in it. For what it's worth, the next F-150 is reportedly* also going to have IRS. Do you think Ford is so stupid that they would risk their sacred cash-cow F-150 with IRS, if they didn't have confidence in it.

* = The '04 F-150 was/is supposed to get IRS. However, Ford, trying to recoup losses, has been doing a slash-'n-burn to get the price down, so IRS may(?) get the ax.

Bob
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Posts: 378
    Ford used a twin I-Beam setup for the front long ago. It was crap. People had more problems with that setup, especially alignment. Ford doesn't exactly have a great reputation. Cheap interior materials, Firestone debacle, service just to name a few.

But I do agree an IRS system works great if it is done right.
  • jbhncjbhnc Posts: 16
    Hi all, bought a 03 LTD 4x4 over the weekend. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow!

Question is toyota references all weather mats on their website. I would much rather have these then carpet mats.

1) When are these available?
    2) Anyone know what these are. Are they rubber or plastic.
    3) Include something for the cargo area?

BTW: For all who haven't driven one, certainly worth it. It is easily as quite as my BMW was and the V8 is perfect, smooth and powerful.

Thanks
    << Ford used a twin I-Beam setup for the front long ago. It was crap. >>

Yes it was crap, and I owned one. Didn't hurt Ford sales one bit however.

Bob
  • intmed99intmed99 Posts: 485
    Nah, no Defender. I love my '02 4Runner Ltd. 4wd! It is just about perfect size for off-roading. It has a very reliable and smooth powertrain (a bit slow though). As i stated above, it also has the best combo: IFS and solid rear axle.

As for IRS on trucks...we will see! Truck owners are anal as anything! I don't think many truck owners (esp. Ford truck owners) will buy a truck with IRS. Hell, they don't even accept the Toyota Tundra as a real full-size!

Durability...we will see.
    (Didn't hurt Ford sales one bit however.)

Didn't mean it was a good idea either.
    Bad ideas are not a Ford exclusive. I'm sure if we dig deep enough, we can find some goofs that Toyota marketed.

Bob
    I couldn't agree more. Just look at that new plastic crap.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Welcome aboard! We're looking forward to hearing a lot more from you.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    The only thing they've ever done that would approach the level of putting IRS in the F150 would be their venture into boating. They pulled the plug quickly when they realized that no body wanted a $38K 21' ski boat with an inboard even with a Lexus V8.
  • OUCH ! Went to the local Culver City dealer and saw one 2003 black Limited 2WD(!), V8 with a sticker price above $42,000! This is the highest I've seen on these pages. There was no navigational system. Is this price range similar across the country?
  • Definitely not the normal price range. I'm traveling in the western part of NC. The dealer here has 3 on the lot ALL under MSRP by a decent margin. So much so I was taken aback, since this is such a new vehicle in such hi demand. I was seriously thinking about grabbing one this weekend, but none have the options/trim that I want.
    Miller is always overpriced. Try Torrance Toyota on PCH. They don't sell over MSRP and should be able to work with you. They had a Limited 2WD with goodies for quite a bit less than what you stated above.
  • jtm4jtm4 Posts: 60
    I've seen two Limiteds, in the Houston area, priced at $35,000 and $36,000. That was sticker price. Both were 4x2. No navigation system or sunroof.
  • Ok I've done SOME back reading and didn't see these issues addressed. If they have been and I missed them let me know where and I'll quit wasting everyone's time. Does anyone understand what the x-reas suspension system does and how it works? Is it a hinderance in a low traction environment (offroad/snow/wet boat ramp)? Second, are leather/heated seats an option on the sport/sr5 or are these only available on the limited (wife "has to have" heated seats). Third, do the power seats have a 2 position memory (wife is 5'6"; I'm 6'2")? Finally, someone tell Toyota that the matte gray cladding is great for those who actually use a vehicle anywhere off pavement, but those stupid notches ruin an otherwise great look. Oh and not to beat the dead horse, but why would you not offer a tiny third row seat as an option in a vehicle this size? Yes, it will be vestigial at best and suited only for short trips/small kids/people you dislike, but how about letting me decide if I want/need it? Thanks in advance for any and all info.
    Heated leather is only on the Limited.

Dealer should be able to have leather installed in SR5/Sport but no heated seats and not with side air bag option. Dealer option.

X-REAS is supposed to control roll and pitch better. Not sure how this affects it off road. Sounds like something for better on road handling & ride. I have a feeling it might hamper off road handling because it might not let the suspension flex as much as it should. Not quite sure.
  • Sounds like a reasonable guess about the xreas. Can you clarify the side airbags comment? Are the somehow connected to a package that includes/excludes the heated seats? Not sure what you meant. Ideally I'd like SR-5/sport exterior w/heated seats and the side airbags. If not possible then can I at least get the side airbags and heated seats together on a limited? Don't really wanna go there, but if it's the only way to get that combo I might have to. Thanks.
    Sorry about the confusion on that one.

The heated seats (leather) only come on the Limited. Factory installed.

The dealer told me they could have leather put in on a SR5/Sport model. This would be a dealer option which they send out to have done. They could only install leather on the standard seats, not the seats with the side air bags in them.

No heated seats for SR5/Sport models.

Hope this clarifies thing better. Sorry.
  • I've just got a quick question. Is it me or does there seem to be wind noise when cruising on the highway in the 4Runner at lets say speeds of 60-70mph or so? I know it's an SUV and it sits up high and is not very aerodynamic like a sports car, but does that have a role to play in picking up on a bit more wind noise. It's not that loud, I just hear it more than I did then when I was driving on the highway in my 89 Camry. Anyone out there with advice on this? Does anyone know what I am talking about? I have driven other SUV's such as Durango's, Cherokees, Montero's, Explorer's, Expeditions and maybe they have wind noise as well, but I can't recall too well. Also, is that startup roar you get when you turn the key on your 4Runner a trait on these SUV's. It roars for the first few feet when driving and then quiets down. I'm guessing that's how the engine is designed, it's pretty cool or maybe there's something wrong with it. Does anyone know?
    It could be the way the engine warms up. They have a tendency to high idle at first.

Noise is sometimes a little subjective. You might check the window/door seals. Even bad alignment or the kind of tire you have can make a vehicle noisier.