Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• intmed99intmed99 Posts: 485
    What is "Toyota Connections"?? How do i get it? I am always very accepting of coupons!
  • peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    Toyota Connections is a Magazine for Toyota owners. I am sure you have seen this type of magazine for other car makers. Inside the magazine it has a write up of the Toyota cars and one or two stories, in this issue it has a story of Southeast college football.

This issue also has $300 dollars cash back on certain new Toyotas, sorry not the 4Runner. Here is a link that can at least let you see the cover of the magazine.

http://connectionsfeedback.com/

• bigbwbbigbwb Posts: 12
    Went to my local dealer last night & ordered a 2003 SR5 (black/grey cloth) 4x4 V8, options include, sunroof, 17" rims, running boards, rear spoiler, and roof rack. I have bought tons of vehicles here in the past and got a great deal. Paid $30k for it. (MSRP-about $33k). Love it. That V8 flies and the ride compared to my 2000 is incredible. Question to new owners of the same, anyone know off hand the size of the door speakers? I put all my own stereo stuff in and don't know if the sizes have changed.

Thanks for any feedback.
    Bigbwb
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    I spent the last three days in a grueling F&I training class and missed some of the fun.

One question that was raised but not fully answered was how the X-REAS suspension works. The right rear and left front shocks are connected, as are the left rear with the right front. They are connected to allow hydraulic fluid to be passed between them. This means that in a hard corner, as the outside front shock begins to compress, it is given a boost from the opposite end. This increases the pressure and therefore keeps the front end from nose diving in a hard corner.
  • joatmonjoatmon Posts: 315
    I just drove and crawled all over the new runner. My take:

Exterior: Limited, Well, not tooo bad, but why do the wheel wells that way? SR-5, come on guys, if you want us to buy a Limited, just don't offer the SR-5. It looks GMish and is not befitting the overall quality of this SUV.

Interior: I was amazed that it didn't seem much bigger that my 97 SR-5. The cargo area is smaller. Not being able to put your shoes under the front seats limits the rear seat comfort. The SR-5 interior appointments seem better that before, but not anything special. The Limited leather seems very nice and the overall cabin has a nice feel to it. The thigh support does not appear to have improved.

Driveline: As Mr. Clifford says, "You gotta drive this thing before making a decision". He's right on folks. It drives like a Lexus. After the drive, I wondered why anyone would buy an Infiniti QX4. Smoooth.

Handling: Just a short run, but the highway handling is like a little Lexus.

Underneath: Well, I didn't have my Saturday attire on so I did a cursory inspection, but the skid plates looked a lot weaker than on my 97. Gee, it has 4-wheel disc brakes. Welcome the the 90's, I mean 00's, Toyota.

Summary: This is the 4 Runner that Ford and GM have feared. It's ultra smooth and refined. Lots of nice little features that tend to sell cars. 3rd gen lovers may look elsewhere for a fix, but this 4 Runner has broad appeal and thus will sell and sell and sell.

BTW: X-REAS is available on 2WD.

Happy motoring!
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    I just hope the TV commercials start running soon. Ours are starting to pile up. That means discounts are coming.
    : (
    '
    '

Mackabee
  • newgradnewgrad Posts: 25
    Hey guys--Toyota's website has some new info. on the 4th gen 4Runner that I think those who don't really like the new design should see. (Go to toyota.com and click on the 4Runner interactive minisite.) Then in the new window that pops up, click on "Designed 4Adventure" and after the new page loads, click on "Behind the Design" in the middle of the page. This gives you some of the initial design concepts they were considering. Now click on "Intermediate Exterior Model" and click on pages 3 and 4. Am I nuts or does this concept model look 10x better than what the designers finally went with? Oh if Toyota had only asked us first, then they would have a total hit on their hands...This is what the 3rd gen should have evolved into in my opinion. Hey can we persuade Toyota to go with this design for 2004??? If not, I'll be keepin' my 2000 Sport for quite some time...
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    You are 100% CORRECT! Wow! Why they didn't pick that one over what we have is beyond me! The pics on page 3 and 4 are a natural progression of the 3rd gen.
    Mackabee
    You probably have seen this off-roading picture of the Touareg. Please note the extreme lack of rear wheel articulation! That articulation is no more than the Acura MDX/Pilot/Mercedes ML.

http://www.vwvortex.com/features/07_02/07_08/touareg_off1.jpg

See, the LEFT (airborn) rear wheel is supposed to touch the ground. The RIGHT rear wheel is supposed to COMPRESS. In the picture, both wheels severely lack any form of articulation.

Sorry, my '02 4Runner has TONS more rear wheel articulation than that! Almost embarrassing that VW is saying this thing can off-road with the best!

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    It's no worse than the photo I saw of the '03 4Runner in Truck Trend magazine. I have no interest in 3rd-generation 4Runners. I'm not considering one as a possible future purchase.

Bottom line: the vehicle got through the situation even with one wheel is in the air. Articulation, while important, isn't the only factor in off-roading. You seem to think that if all 4 wheels aren't touching the ground, the vehicle is going to get stuck; not necessarily so...

Before you write it off, why don't we wait for it to be tested by folks in the know. Speaking of which, here's one from 4Car, a UK car rag:

http://www.4car.co.uk/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=231_2&reviewid=561

Here's a quote from page 3 of that link:

<< Most of the time, the Touareg sends half of its power to the front wheels and half to the rear, but the multi-plate clutch in the centre differential can divert up to 100 per cent to one end or the other depending on available grip. The centre diff can be locked manually if needed, and there's an optional second lock for the rear diff which means the Touareg can keep moving even if one rear wheel is the only wheel left with grip. Each wheel's slippage is also controlled automatically, via the brakes, with EDL (Electronic Differential Lock) >>

Bob

First, most modern SUV nowadays with ATRAC/4-ETC/etc. can make through an obstacle with one wheel traction. That is no longer a mighty feat. Since they all have the same system, what DIFFERENTIATES one from another is how flexible the suspension is. Wheel on the ground is ALWAYS better than no wheel. Do you agree? How about this: if your wheels are on the ground, you activate ATRAC less...thus, resulting in less brake pad wear (or even burn out of the brakes in heavy duty terrain)...thus, in essence, a more durable off-roader.

And i NEVER said that wheel articulation is the only thing that mattered. Please don't put words in my mouth.

BTW, FYI, multi-plate clutch packs are generally not highly regarded due to the fact it wears down and needs frequent lubrication. Examples: Acura MDX's rear differential, Jeep GC Varilok/quadradrive crap, Honda CRV's rear diff, etc. Here is another fact: most off-roaders prefer GEAR-based differentials due to better durability...guess what "Torsen" is famous for?? Hint: Torsen LSD is gear-based. In off-roading, they make Detroit Truetrac. With regard to Torsen in '03 4Runner, i assume it is gear-based also.

Remember, those same "people in the know" thought the Mercedes ML was the greatest gift to human beings...able to do everything on another level, even off-roading. Well, at least in off-roading, it flunk big time once it was trail-tested against other conventional SUVs!

Yeah, i know, most people will never know the difference. Remember, we're talking about each vehicle's CAPABILITY, not what it will be used for by soccer moms.
    but, in the pic above, the right rear wheel should compress a whole lot more, even if it is IRS. I think my old CRV had more compression than that...really! Oh yeah, high-performance tires are great for off-roading! Geez!
    This is my friend's CRV during one of our off-roading trips (when i still had my CRV):

http://community-2.webtv.net/GatorGreg5inFL/2ndAnnualBigCRVScrub/scrapbookFiles/mailedD23.jpg

He was stuck. However, notice the rear wheel...how it compresses.

The only reason you (re)introduced that Touareg image was to prove your point regarding the superiority of solid axle "articulation." Period.

Who cares? The Touareg with limited articulation will probably go any place off road your '02 4Runner can go, and blow your gen3-Runner into the weeds on road. I'd love to see a test of your '02 4Runner against the Touareg, just to shut you up. Unfortunately, it will only be matched against a new '03 4Runner, which I'm sure it will do quite well against.

As far as I'm concerned, the new '04 4Runner (or Touareg) will be as a capable off road as I (or most people) will ever need.

As I stated many posts back we'll just have to agree to disagree. You have your opinions, and I have mine. Now can we get back to 4Runners, afterall this is a 4Runner forum...

Bob
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,984
    I thought you made an awfully big deal about articulation initially and it was countered. I didn't see anyone putting words in your mouth.

I like the suggestion to agree to disagree and move on.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Did I just read in one of the posts above that you got a 03 limited 4runner for 3k of list?

What dealer and state?
    Geez, don't get offended! This is just a debate. Shut me up?? Ok, i better get off the topic before you start cursing at me. Apparently, we are not talking about off-road ability...but rather ON-road ability (you know, the thing that will blow my 4Runner into the weeds). Geez, i should go out and get an SUV to drag race! I thought we were talking about solid axle vs. IRS in OFF-ROADING. Guess not. Sorry.

Rsholland, so you admit it...IRS is very limited in ability. The only thing that makes it any capable is the other systems (traction control systems, torque, etc.), which is present on most SUVs today.

Steve, please re-read my posts above...and try to comprehend the arguments presented here. Rsholland and I are debating (at least i think we are) about IRS vs. solid axle in off-roading. He pointed out the limited '03 4Runner rear axle travel (he started it!)...and now i am pointing out the embarrassing wheel travel of his hero, VW Touareg.

Ok...i won't mention this again IF it is not brought up again.
    This forum is for ALL 4Runners! I can talk about my '02 4Runner, can't i??
    I've stated my position. Time to move on...

Bob
  • I think the trend hear is to frown on specific dealer/salesman name dropping (for the record I'm just a consumer like the rest of us). That said, I visited a dealer in the Asheville, NC, that uses a no hassle price policy and had 3 new '03 runner's discounted by 2-3k below msrp. I'm not quite ready to purchase myself, but if I was I'd probably be going to them. Hope that helps.