Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Does anyone have a good source for Toyota accessories for a 2003 Runner ?? The dealers in my area seem to be priced much higher than sites on the net. BTW, a few weeks ago I purchased a rare Pacific Blue Limited and took it to the Smokies last week. This is my first Runner (previously loyal to Jeep) and all I can say is this is one great truck.
  • From the production schedule for December, it looks as though they are going to be built, however, the schedule has been a bit misleading the past couple of months, so don't take it as gospel. If they do start building V6 4Runners in December, you can expect them on dealer's lots either at the end of December or at latest January. Pricing seems to show that the V6 models are about $1000 less expensive in base price, but I would guess that they are being equipped a bit differently as well. We'll have to see how they end up building them.
  • civicwcivicw Posts: 135
    Since you aren't quite sure about an SUV, have you considered the Toyota Matrix? One sits higher almost like an SUV, and it's very roomy as well as a reasonably good ride.
  • peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    "tfuzz", it is interesting in reading your mileage figures. I have kept records of my mileage on a 2001 4Runner since I got it. (I know that is strange, but some people do it.) My average after 29,000 miles is 19.52. When I bought the SUV I wondered which got the better mileage, the V6 Highlander or the V6 4Runner. It seems our figures, 19.14 for the Highlander and 19.52 for the 4Runner are about the same in the real world.

By the way I only have a 2WD and use regular gas. Did you put premium in the Highlander? Also, I think 16.80 is quite good for a V8 4Runner. I also bet it will get better as times goes on.
  • Your comparisons were useful. Thanks for the insightful comments. I really like the IDEA of an SUV, but truthfully, 75% of my driving is to/from work (80 mile round trip on a congested freeway), 20% in the city (San Francisco), and 5% going to Tahoe and other road trips, where I could justify the 4WD and the size of an SUV.
  • I hadn't considered the Matrix, but that's an image thing. I'd much rather have a "tough" SUV than something like the Matrix. But then again I haven't driven one.
  • pschreckpschreck Posts: 524
    Sounds like you need TWO vehicles. I say go for the 4Runner and a Nissan 350Z. That would make a nice garage. I'm sure your wife wouldn't mind. ;>)
  • Thanks to all who participated in the age poll - 52 in all. There was almost a perfect distribution of 4Runner enthusists between the ages of 25 and 60. Almost noone under 25 and very few over 60.
  • Are you related to Mme. Cleo? You're a psychic! I am actually on the fence between the 4Runner and the G35 Coupe (basically a Z). But you're powers failed you in one place: I'm single! So for all of us single people out there between 25 and 60 (thanks for the poll dawgpak), it's questionable whether we should be driving a 4Runner.

How many of you are married?
  • pschreckpschreck Posts: 524
    That'll be five million dollars , please. The coupe is very nice.

Married.........happily.
  • tfuzztfuzz Posts: 93
    Peter--I should have mentioned in my message that I did take the Highlander on one long trip pulling a Coleman pop-up trailer. I used premium when pulling the trailer in the mountains, but otherwise used regular. If you don't count the mileage when pulling the trailer I'd guess the overall mileage for the HL is pretty close to what you get on your Runner.

It's good to hear that someone else is as crazy as I am about keeping records ;-). For some reason, which I have forgotten, I started keeping records of my mileage when I got my license (and my first car--a '56 Chevy) in '62. Can't find those records now, but I remember paying as little as 17.9 (and frequently 19.9) cents/gallon.
    Besides mileage I keep all repair and maintance records. It is amazing to me that people have no idea when their last oil change or tire rotation was. I also love it when people tell me their mileage is pretty good, probably 18 to 20 MPG in their Suburban, when in reality they have no idea.

My first car was a 1959 Jaguar with a DOHC in-line 6 that got 12 MPG. I guess I shouldn't of checked, huh?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    Count me in, Tfuzz and Peter78. My lifetime mpg for my last van was 18.07730706 mpg; current one is running 21.2781476877317 mpg :-)

The TCO tool is fun to play with; hopefully one day we'll be able to plug our own numbers into it.

Steve, Host

Our family bought the 4Runner because we needed more room to carry stuff on our camping trips and more room for the family. And in the future possibly tow a small camper.

I kept my old car and sometimes drive that to work. Then my wife who owns a 92 Honda Accord Wagon all of a sudden decides to drive the 4Runner sitting in the garage. She likes it as do I because you sit up high in the SUV and you feel better driving it in traffic. I know the people behind me hate it. Also my Son thinks it is really cool. Actually I don't mind. It is heavier, better crash results, dual air bags, ABS brakes and pre-tensioners seat belts. Bottom line I lost the use of my SUV because my Wife likes it in the traffic. I can still drive it when we go camping or when she is really nice.
  • thelthel Posts: 767
    Hello all, I'm looking at a couple of 1995 4WD 4-runners. Both have about 115,000 miles.

One is a V6 automatic that has had 3 owners, each keeping the vehicle for a couple of years each. The first appears to have been a rental company in Utah. From there it made its way east to Kansas, then Missouri.

The other is a 2.4L 4cyl with a 5-spd. It is a one owner truck that has been in mid-MO its whole life. I think it may have been a demo or something early in its life as its first owner titled it with over 4,000 miles on it. It appears to be in great shape.

I really just need and OTM for my Miata that has cargo room for baby gear and lumbar and 4WD for the winter. Is one engine/drivetrain more reliable or durable than the other? The V6 auto is advertised for $8460 and the 4cyl is advertised for $7450. Any advice from anybody is very much appreciated.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    4-cyl is older than dirt - the same engine that was in my '83 celica. It is the famous 22RE, probably the best, most durable engine Toyota ever built.

the 6-cyl is the same engine as is in my '90, and it has issues - namely, the head gasket. Toyota changed the material used for the head gasket, as well as its design, due to excessive failure, and warranted all the engines for 8 years, which means you would just barely be inside the time window. But if it has never been replaced, it is just waiting to happen, and would be a hassle for you - you should check to see if it has been done.

Also, the exhaust valves in the V-6 tend to need replacement later in life, say around 150K, which is fairly expensive.

The only thing is, this truck is also SLOWER than dirt with the 4-cyl, at least to my mind. I took a pass on a couple of 4-cyls when I was looking, just because of that. Make sure you are happy with the power before you buy the 4.

And that price seems a little high for the 4-cyl with 115K. Of course, that is just in my area...

If you are willing to look at a '96 or '97, they were making a 4-cyl then which was 2.7L and had as much power as the previous V-6, and they go for cheap because most people are looking for the V-6.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    ...current one is running 21.2781476877317 mpg :-)

LoL! You must have paid a bundle for the equipment that measures distance and capacity down to the atomic level! ;-)

tidester, host
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    Excel ;-)

Steve, Host
    (funny how recording gallons used to two decimal points can yield twenty decimal points down the road - must be a math thing )
  • I am strongly considering am '03 4 runner. I'm very pleased with the test drive of the Sport except for head room. My hair brushes the liner. Bumps will give me a flat top. I suppose eliminating the sun roof (and sun shade)will provide more head room but there are none without the roof to compare. The dealer says I can order one the way I want and expect it in three to four months. Has anyone seen a roofless one? comments please.