Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• yliangyliang Posts: 9
    need help locating transfer case to change oil
    for 2001 4runner
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Posts: 625
    I am wondering if someone put on off-road tires (such as Goodyear MT/R, for example, which i really like), and if the difference was significant for off-roading compared to the OEM Dunlops
  • Can some of you V6 owners tell me what your ave MPG have been ? I've been seeing 18-20 on V8's & I'm only averaging 18 on my V6! My usual driving is somewhat mixed hwy/city ...but mostly hwy. The computer usually calculates around 19 which I've seen posts where this number is inflated. So my 18 is what I've calculated manually. I usually drive between 70-75 mph on the hwy...
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Yes, you can paint the regular cladding as it came on early SR5's and Sports. But......it is possible there would be adhesion problems (paint not sticking to cladding) because of the finish on the cladding. You need to discuss with a paint shop what problems may be encountered with painting these pieces. Also, you would still have the funky "notched" cladding instead of the smooth pieces in the Apperance Package/Ltd. versions.
  • jcla7jcla7 Posts: 18
    mrshenry2002, 20 would certainly be the highest I've seen for the 8. Most are far below that. Been keeping close track of my V6. Mixed driving is around 20 and change. Straight highway, at about 65-70, has been above 22 by a little. City only driving has been a hair under 20. Hope this helps.

JC
  • tloke1tloke1 Posts: 185
    bcmalibu99ls, actually if JD had polled GC owners the 4-Runner scores would have been even lower. It's about time that people out there realized that the 4-Runner is not the "perfect" vehicle so many had claimed it to be. It was not surprising at all to see the poor ratings for Comfort, Features and Overall appeal. What surprised me is that the "Styling" category rated as high as it did (3/5) - I expected that rating to have been closer to 1/5 stars. And in models with the cladding, 0/5.
  • thanks for the information...actually,I paid more attention to what is happening...after my vehicle has warmed up, when I switch between reverse and drive, the engine momentarily revs up (about 200 rpms)...it doesn't do it when shifting into 4 (from Drive), 3rd or 2nd gear...so this is what I figured out (I think)...since the engine revs a bit higher when set in Neutral, than when set in reverse or drive, it must be surging because when I am switching from R to D or back again, I am switching past Neutral momentarily and thus, causing the brief increase an idle speed...I hope this is the case. I am probably just being paranoid and picky over every little thing as I haven't owned a such a great vehicle before! I am very satisfied with this vehicle overall!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,692
    you hit it right on the head! That is exactly right.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• mixmanbobmixmanbob Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 1999 limited, 53000 miles. In beautiful condition. $22500. Is this a good price? Thanks!
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Posts: 378
    Does anyone know if there seems to be enough space for a slightly larger tire to fit in the spare tire carrier underneath the truck?

For instance – 265 / 75 / 16
    ( just 1 size up in ratio) ?

thanks
  • smg1062smg1062 Posts: 54
    Is the GX simply a dressed up 4Runner, or are there major differences? I know the cabin/dashboard is different and the 4Runner doesnt offer a rear DVD system. I've narrowed down my list to the GX, the RX, and the 4Runner...........any feedback would be great!!
  • smg1062smg1062 Posts: 54
    If the GX is the same body as the 4Runner, WHy did Lexus give the GX a side swing door when the 4Runner has a lift rear door????????????????
  • bmw323isbmw323is Posts: 410
    4X2 offroading - just stay away from mud, soft sand, and steep hills. You still have good ground clearance and that is more important in many off-road situations. A little common sense is the real key to successful off roading.

Cladding - seems like some folks just hate the cladding. I love mine. I parked next to an identical silver 4Runner SR5 tonight that had the painted cladding. Mine looked much more agressive and truck-like. When the overfenders and lower panels are painted, there is no contrast to the vehicle. With the cladding, you don't have to worry about paint chips or door dings on the lower body panels, or about waxing those surfaces. Oh well, to each his own. Let's see if 4Runner SR5 sales skyrocket now that they got rid of the cladding.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,692
    the Lexus has air suspension, the 4Runner does not. It has the side swing door because it has an available third row seat, so it has a door that can be opened from inside like a regular passenger door. The 4Runner's rear door swings up because it doesn't have a seat back there. The GX still has the manual lever to go from 4-HI to 4-LO, which comes from the Land Cruiser and LX. In the 4Runner V-6, the mode shifter is electronic - a button on the dash.

mixmanbob: at this point I wouldn't pay more than $20K in my area for a 4-year-old Limited w/ 53K on it, and that is assuming it is a 4WD in tip-top shape. However, if this price includes a certified warranty, it is maybe worth a bit more.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• mrwhipplemrwhipple Posts: 378
    4Runner doesnt offer a rear DVD system.

They do, just not sure if it's out yet.
  • suvowner1suvowner1 Posts: 33
    has anyone heard any buzz on what changes may be in store for the 04 4runner.such as memory seats or hid headlights...etc............
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    We welcome Jeep owners here.
     The real question about the J.D.Powers survey of the 4Runner is why would someone buy a vehicle that they thought was uncomfortable, ugly and didn't like ? It makes no sense at all.
     Don't you agree ?
    I am curious, how well did the Jeep do in the JD Powers Survey ?
     I owned 2 Jeep Cj-5's many many years ago. I bought them used. Their gas mileage makes my 4Runner look like a Prius.
    Another difference between the GX and the 4runner is the body is very different, especially in the rear. The GX is several inches taller in the rear to provide some headroom for the 3rd seat.

This is one reason that I think adding a 3rd row to the 4runner would be a grand waste of time.
  • triplenettriplenet Posts: 6
    I've driven both. The GX has a higher roof line(I read it is about 3" taller). They have gone with the side hinged back door as the door would have been too high to reach when open, or too heavy. I'm not fond of it, but did like the extra volume inside. The interior has much higher quality materials and I read it has 40# more soundproofing than the 4Runner. Interior design is much cleaner also. While not apples to apples, I've tried to compare price on 4Runner and GX and it seems that base GX is about $4K more than similar equipped LTD. The diff is actually more as there is little or no discount on GX, but a big discount on 4Runner.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    The 4Runner got an average of 3.2 stars and the JGC got an average of 2.8 stars. That's not too close considering it is an average of 10 categories. The best in this class is the RX300 with an average of 4.2 stars of 5. Jeep's lineup: Wrangler - 2.2, Liberty 2.8 appears to be on the bottom of the industry in terms of this JD Power survey. The 2.6 stars average out of 5 that Jeeps got is right there with the Kia Sorento at the bottom of the list. Jeep's Cousin the Dodge Durango didn't do very well either at a 2.6.
  • I have the SR5 with grey cladding. Now that the white is offered in the AP.....could i just simply order that parts from toyota and replace my cladding with the smooth version? Are there any differences in the way they fit?

Im caught in the middle with just painting my current grey or just ordering the smooth fenders color matched already from toyota....im just worried that they wont attach correctly.
  • sovangsovang Posts: 56
    Which option is cheaper? I too have a white 4runner with the grey cladding. It doesn't bother me too much, but if it is cheap, I might do in the future.
  • intmed99intmed99 Posts: 485
    Memory seats are reserved for Lexus vehicles. No Toyota will ever have it. The Land Cruiser doesn't even have it.

HID will likely NOT be available either on a Toyota...again, it's probably a "Lexus thing".
  • intmed99intmed99 Posts: 485
    Need i remind you??

Jeep GC's 2 (TWO FREAKING) stars out of 5 on:
    1. MECHANICAL QUALITY (that's too darn funny!)
    2. Performance
    3. Comfort
    4. Style
    5. Overall Appeal
    6. Dealership appearance

3 (THREE) stars on: QUALITY and Features.

Oh yeah, go Jeep!
  • I hate to beat a dead horse but, I checked past posts & I still can't figure out why I seem to be the only one not getting 20 mpg on my V6 ! Toyota experts : should I worry ? Should I have a technician @ the dealership check something? I have over 7500 miles so I think it should be broken in by now ! I'd like to get this 20-22 like some of the others out there are getting ! Any suggestions ?
    "HID will likely NOT be available either on a Toyota...again, it's probably a "Lexus thing".

Not that this is on-topic or anything but I'm fairly sure that HID lights are available on the Celica.......of course there is no Lexus equivalent to this car so you can draw your own conclusions....
  • It would be cheaper to paint but you wont have the smooth fenders. Paint job runs $1300. Thats everything inclduing side mirrors. This particular place offering the paint job is the same place all souther california 4runners are having it done. If you notice...most dealers now carry the painted claddind. (painted cladding meaning the grey painted over and not the AP)
  • bryancosbryancos Posts: 282
    Pat84: I have an SR5 w/ Vanity mirrors.. they *ARE* lighted...

2003help: See my post in the accessories board:

#24 of 30 Foglights... by bryancos Jun 18, 2003 (4:24 pm)
    Check this place for foglights for your 2003 4Runner:
    http://www.overnightautoparts.com/toyota-4runner-4ru-4wdv8-001-fo- g-light.html

Looks like they carry the lenses - not sure about the switch, since it's on the turn signal stalk - who says you can't wire a separate switch? You'll need to call them at 1-888-267-1845 for pricing... Shouldn't matter if you have the V8 or V6... it's the model year that matters.
  • bryancosbryancos Posts: 282
    I'm thinking about getting the ashtray kit to add extra 12V accessory outlets. Where is the ashtray for those of you that have one? Is it in the center console next to the shifter where the flip up door and 12V port is, or does it reside where the lower door is in the bottom of the front center console beneath the AC controls?
    I'm hoping it's the latter...
  • steveb84steveb84 Posts: 187
    The Celica had HID's available, the 04 Prius will also.

The Avalon has had memory seats available for a few years.