Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• lpaplpap Posts: 9
    I've been researching the white options, and I've been given the following info:

The appearance package is available in 5 different colors, but white is not one of them! (Titanium, Galactic Gray, Black, Dorado Gold, Stratosphere Mica).
  • The first couple or three times I drove mine I could smell the exhaust but it was mostly when I opened the door to get in or out. I don't notice the smell any more and I've never smelled it very strong inside the cab. I have the V6 engine and burn 87 octane. Hope this helps.
  • wb345wb345 Posts: 2
    Thought I'd get away from the big SUV's. The 4runner seemed like a great choice. Got a "fair" price and pick up my new SR5 a couple of days ago. Main concern is that the ABS acctuator keeps cutting in. Had to drive a couple of miles with it malfunctioning. It keeps on cutting in and out. Took it back to the dealers, they've had it for 2 days now. Not sure if the believe me or not. Am thinking about the " lemon law" if I do not get satisfaction. Do not want to be going down the super hyway at speed only to have it act up again. Is anyone else having this problem?
  • Thanks Steve.
    I actually inquired about the warranty, and the dealer assured that I would receive the standard Toyota new-car warranty: 36/36,000 5/60,000.

Any other thoughts?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    Get it in writing :-)

Steve, Host
  • I nearly purchased a Canadian Market '03 4Runner.Not made in Canada but for Canada.(Still made in Japan) I called Toyota and inquired on the warranty and at the time I spoke with them, the person I spoke with stated Toyota of USA honors the CDN market Toyotas but couldn't state how long it would. There is a chance that Toyota will do as most other manufacturers have done and stop honoring warranty claims on CDN market autos..

Keep in mind that while you may be getting the 4Runner at below US Invoice, it is now considered a used auto and your ability to re sell the vehicle and get fair market value may be impacted as it is a non US Market vehicle. They buy them at a substantial discount vs US because of the exchange rate of CDN vs US currency.(they are still likely making a few grand or more). It sounds like a decent deal but it may not be if Toyota stops honoring warranties as noted above. Another thing to consider is the CDN LTD 4Runners come loaded. When I did a price comparison and broke down the dealer cost vs CDN MSRP, it looked like they were making about 5-7K. Go check Toyota Canada's website and see what their "Access Price" is for the LTD. Convert the MSRP to US. Still easily a few thousand under US base LTD minus the air suspension and X Reas.. There is a cost to the importing dealership to convert the speedo etc to make it US Spec..When I was in the market, I was able to find dealers that were willing to go $500 over invoice on a US 4Runner. Keep looking. I'd go with the US market 4Runner over the CDN one anyday especially if I lived a fair distance from the CDN border/CDN Toyota dealership..
  • What I have been told by Toyota is that if a Canadian vehicle is registered in the US within 6months of its initial purchase, they WILL NOT honor the warranty. If it was purchased 6mos or longer ago and then registered here in the US (TRAC cars, program cars and such), then as it is considered a used vehicle, then the warranties are valid.

So, check to make sure that what you're purchasing is not a used vehicle which has a title with someone else's name on it. Also, if it was originally titled more than 6 months ago, you're losing the time on the warranty from that inital "in-service" date to the time you purchase it. If it wasn't 6 mos or longer ago, then you're losing ALL of the factory warranty.

Ken
  • Regarding the canadian 4runner:

Thanks for all the replies.

I am in the market for a LTD V6 4X4, and this one cauht my eye since it was the right color, loaded package, and well under invoice.
    Everything was kind of fishy at first. the window sticker was a "used-car" type, which stated "As-is/no warranty". I continued to show interest being that the price seemed like a steal for the V8. Apparently this particular model has been on the lot for close to 3 months. I asked about the warranty, and the dealer had said that it would come with the standard new-car warranty. He also mentioned that since it is not an US model, it WOULD NOT be eligible for the "Lemon Law".
    They added however that if anything major were to happen, they would replace the vehicle free of cost"-This seemed like BS.
    Well given all the facts, I will definitely pass on this deal. Thanks for the feedback. I knew this deal sounded too good to be true!!!
  • Now that Toyota has admitted their mistake by producing an appearance package for the 2003 SR5, is anyone doing anything about purchasing an SR5 before the appearance package available?

Has anyone contacted Toyota customer service? The dealer?

Toyota should make the appearance package available for all. This is a newly issued vehicle that has undergone a major change within months of its release. Unless Toyota addresses this issue, they will be doing an injustice to their customers.

Let me know your thoughts when you pull up aside an SR5 with the appearance package.
  • I guess im screwed either way....i bought the white SR5 and im hearing that they dont offer the appearance package in white. So even if i do argue im gonna get nowhere. Looks like im gonna have to spend 3 grand to have my car look the way i want to.

$2000 for the limited cladding. Another $1000 to have it all painted.
  • In my '03 V8 sport, I have only noticed that dreaded "sulphur" smell on one tank of gas. What I normally use locally (Phillips 91 octane) I've had no problems.
  • Forgive my ingnorance, but what is wrong with the factory crossbars?
  • FYI - if your rear window is down even 1/2" (like mine has apparantly been for a few days) the rear and side window defroster and rear wipers won't work. I thought it was a fuse! I won't tell you what I did to find out (think dealer service).

So much for my great mechanic skills.
  • vodgutvodgut Posts: 162
    Picked up my Pacific Blue V8 Limited 4x4 last night. Unfortunately, it was in the middle of a moderate snowstorm and the vehicle that was pristine clean in the dealership was covered in road grime within driving half a mile. Ah well, it gets around quite nicely even when dirty.

Observations:
    1) when demonstrating the vehicle, the salesman told me that the center diff could only be locked when in 4LO. Is this the case? I vaguely remember reading something to the contrary.
    2) After replacing the Subaru sedan that was in my garage with the new 4Runner, I'm amazed with how much smaller my garage got! I've driven compact sedans all my life, and this thing seems big to me....
    3) Wow this is a smooth vehicle. Quiet seamless power, smooth ride on-road.

As for pricing, after having done my research and looked and called both dealer lots and online stores, it is possible (around here at least) to get the Limited at invoice (invoice being Edmunds/KBB/etc. optioned invoice plus the TDA - dealer advertising fee, about $800 here) plus the somewhat high doc fee. Actually, I paid approx invoice + $300, no doc fee, and other dealers would do invoice + $300 doc fee, so the bottom line was the same in the end. Seems to me the best way to price out the vehicle is to find out exactly what they'll charge for the doc fee before settling on a price - or include the doc fee in the price - it seems it can make a big difference.
  • intmed99intmed99 Posts: 485
    You can lock the center diff in EITHER 4-HI or 4-LO. Remember, by locking it, you turn off VSC and the dethrottling function. Traction control is ALWAYS on.
  • 1.My new 4runner has some interior noise squeeks that appear to be coming from the back seats or maybe the cargo space. I cant find the source. Anyone else experienced this? It might be the cargo cover but I am not sure. Any suggestions before I take it to the dealer. I like to fix my own problems if I can. Thanks
    2.It appears that the computer Mpg rating is a bit high. Is that the norm?
    3.WB what exactly is your 4runner doing when the ABS light comes on?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    The warranty will be honored IF the selling dealer puts it into the US system. If they don't, it is a nightmare. Even when they do, the service guys look at it funny and it raises questions.

What you can't do is finance through Toyota Financial Service and you can't get a genuine Toyota extended warranty.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    I have always been baffled by reports of sulfur smell in the V8. I've seen this kind of thing in the Sequoia topic for 2 years now. Well, I finally figured it out. I don't know what mechanical explanation there is, but I do know it only happens when I drive like a maniac! My Tundra did this yesterday while I was having fun on a deserted stretch of snow covered road. I would gun it to make the tires spin and shortly after that, I smelled that odd smell. It is pretty consistent.
  • steveb84steveb84 Posts: 187
    Dated 2/24/03 EG003-03

Don't have time to type the whole thing, but basically states if you have the odor, check for codes.

States that the problem could go away by trying a different fuel source.

I'll try to find a cut and paste version.

Steve