Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Has anyone tried connecting a laptop computer to the AC outlet in the new series 4runner's glovebox? The manual seems to warn against it. Would a small portable surge protector provide the necessary protection against possible variations in voltage? Would the computer's battery do this just as well?
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    I also have the little plastic tab under the gas / hood releases. I figured it may be for somthing that is used in a different country for something. I also have the grab rail on the driver's side, too.
      I thought the grab rails were for ease of entry for old people. "Eh, what'd say, youngin ? "
  • dogwing: The grab handle you describe is not a standard item. I ordered a handle and the two screw hole plugs for about $25. If you want the handle, just pop off the plugs and screw down the handle. I didn't like the plugs with no handle, it looked unfinished, especially in the front cab.
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    My 03 Sport V-8 came with the drivers side grab rail. It was there when I bought it. I did have a recall on the sun visors so I got ones vanity mirrors. The mirrors don't light up though.
  • There are 2 locations per side. The drivers side has ONE grab handle (on the A pillar-very handy btw) and one blank-no handle (above the drivers door).

The passenger has 2 grab handles.

It is switched for right hand drive.
  • 18fan18fan Posts: 147
    Hi All...

I am currently looking at a used 2000 4Runner SR5 4WD with 26K miles and the 3.4L V6 engine. Would you all recommend the 4Runner? What kind of gas mileage could I expect? (I drive about 80% city & 20% highway). Are there any maintenance, defect, or repair issues I should know about before buying this vehicle?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--18fan
  • My 03 Sport came with lighted vanity mirrors on both sides. Driver side does not have overhead grab rail, but has on beside windshield.
  • trantitranti Posts: 51
    My 4runner is 2001. I did not pay attention to traction control until I installed an alarm. I notice that when I run over 20 miles an hour, I press the switch of traction control. It does not work. I mean that I can not turn off traction control. When the truck stops, I turn off truction cotrol, the light traction control off appears, but when I run over 20 miles an hour, the light traction control off is off. That means traction control auto on when the truck runs over 20 miles an hour. I don't know whether it is a feature of traction control or the alarm interfere with traction control. Any one knows about it, please let me know. TRhank you.
  • The Land Cruiser is a bit too much, and its a gas guzzler. And yes, I HATE the GX side swing door, and the Sequoa is ugly on the inside...........so I'm wishing that Toyota smartens up and offers NAv and 3rd row for the 05's...............
  • peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    It is not your alarm. I have a 2001 and the traction control button to turn it off only works till 18 MPH + or - and the traction control comes back on and the light goes out. It is basically useless when your on the road. It is meant for off road conditions or starting in gravel or snow, where wheel spin is sometimes helpful.

Personally, I which you had the option to turn it off.
  • What is the big deal with the side swing door? Why is that such a problem?
  • kjack100kjack100 Posts: 133
    I think it's just that the 4Runner's rear hatch design is perfect, i.e, out of the elements when unloading, loading, tailgating, etc. Also, the 4Runner's rear glass lowers to hang stuff out of the rear of the vehicle.

I am not sure about this, but I think the GX470's rear glass is fixed. The GX470's hatch, for some reason, is hinged on the right side, so if you are parallel parked, it's mounted on the wrong side (unless it's a one way street :-))which brings up the hassle of opening it with a lack of space behind you.
  • i'm glad the runners always had the liftgate. last winter when i went to lake tahoe, i rented a mitsu montero ltd which had a side swing door. i went to northstar to snowboard but was parked at an angle. after a whole day of riding, i was tired. it began snowing and it was cold! i got the side gate open but it didn't lock in place - so the weight of the door at that angle slammed into me making me lose my balance (not falling completely) on the snow/ice covered ground. it's not often that anyone would park at an angle but it's those few times that make a difference. my 2 cents.
  • I believe the Lexus GX rear glass is fixed. I do not like the swing away door design. But, I guess Lexus had to make their offering different than Toyota.
  • ohelloohello Posts: 27
    So we were driving along last night (in our 03 4Runner) at about 25mph when we hit a patch of black ice - the whole truck started to yaw to the right - we were totally out of control and headed for the curb. At that moment the little VSC light on the dash came on, a little alarm sounded, and there was a buzzing from under the hood. We could feel the system start to kick in the brake on the left front tire (and probably do some other things as well), straightened us right out, and then we were on our way. We were both totally amazed at how well the system worked.
  • Thank you very much Peter78.
  • jfegerjfeger Posts: 38
    I have ran my laptop on the AC outlet and have not yet blown anything up.
  • My runner 2003 LTD came with all four grab handles installed - including drivers and passenger side - no extra charge.
  • Thank you jfeger. Do you use a surge protector?Whatkind of a laptop do you run on it?
  • ohello, I agree, that VSC has saved my bacon a few times. Mine kicked in the otherday when it was 20* and the streets were coated in ice/drizzle. Fantastic feature, I have complete confidence in my V8 4WD's ability to 'get me there'.
  • jfegerjfeger Posts: 38
    I plugged it straight in without a surge protector. I have a Toshiba Tecra TE2100. I think the only real risk is drawing more current than the outlet is rated for, or damaging the battery charger. I feel Toyota would have protected this outlet for current rating, so it would trip the fuse/breaker before it damages anything. As far as killing the battery charger, I see this no different than using a cigarette lighter charger, with the exception that those have some added power conditioning built in that the standard wall charger may not.
  • Thanks jfeger. Good to know it's working.
  • vodgutvodgut Posts: 162
    What's the power draw on your laptop, jfeger? The AC->DC converter on mine has an input of at least 160W (100V * 1.6A), even though the output is only 65W (18.5V * 3.5A). I think the outlet is only rated for 100W. Though I would like to use it, consdering my wife and I are going on a 2000+ mile road trip in our 4Runner in 10 days....but I haven't tried it because I thought the draw would be too much for the outlet.

I have a Compaq Evo N610c.
  • Has anyone added a CB antenna to a 2004/04 yet? I'm curious what type you installed and where. I don't want to drill holes. Magnetic ones will scratch, and the window ones are not strong enough.
  • The K40 antenna works very well and doesn't move at all. The magnet mount is great. I usually cut a thick piece of tracing paper or baking paper just slightly larger than the magnet. Thick construction paper works well too. It should keep it from scratching any paint. The magnet is huge and won't have any problem staying put. I had it on a black 4WD and never had any problems with it.
  • Do you work for the National Enquirer or just sit around basing a theory you have on hypotheticals that are completely groundless and based on nothing more than your own rantings?

The VSC/TRAC has been around for a long time. Toyota has it on the older 4Runner and many, many thousands of them do fine with VSC/TRAC with well over 200,000 miles.

It is frightening how little you know about solid state electronics or the fundamentals of the systems in Toyota's trucks.
    If you have a concern, why don't you call Toyota and ask them for literature on the VSC/TRAC system. That way, you don't sound like a tool when posting conjecture.

BTW, ABS is an electronic system that comes standard on nearly every production vehicle in the United States. When are all these cars going to self destruct?
  • asif1asif1 Posts: 49
    I am surprised what is the motive for you to post such a message to spread chaos among owners with no solid ground. you are basing your theory on your junkyard experience. I am not an Electronics engineer but a simple person can tell that any Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) or Actuator can simply be programmed to shut down incase any malfucntion occurs. In case some thing goes wrong the System wont kick in, not to what you think that it will go wrong way. The Vehicles with these systems are tested for long time. Can you imagine a billion dollar company will risk its future by not exhuasting the possibilities of what can go wrong. The PLCs are in market for a long time, engineers have been studying it for more than 20 yrs.. i guess you should take your Terminator theory some where else.
  • jcliffrojcliffro Posts: 108
    I have to side with the opponents of rodout's posting. Rodout, if you had prefaced your comments by saying "I have thought about it and my fear is that...." then that would have been an entirely different matter.

However, by not prefacing it that way, you owed your fellow post readers some authority for your statements. Can you cite to any studies or higher authorities than yourself to back up what you have said about what happens when VSC systems get old? If what you have posted turns out to be true in even 2% of cases, then we all should know about it; me in particular since I am still driving the 1985 Nissan 300ZX that I bought new over 18 years ago (only 86,000 miles) and I would not be surprised to have my next vehicle, hopefully a 4-Runner, for about 15 years.
  • I'm a new owner of 04 Runner w/V6. Happy with purchase...yes. Have stink problem ...no. However, have noticed a low frequency rumble when cruising with rpm near 1800. More so in 2 wheel mode than 4 wheel mode. Not tires since a slight change in rpm negates the rumble. Anyone know if this ia a tranny (overdrive?) quirk. Can I live with it ...yes, but it takes away the smooth running I had anticipated with this car. Also have the slight engine valves tapping noise that some have described in the past w/V6. Open to any and all comments.

Also, if anyone is interested in all weather OEM mats or exhaust tip, etc. don't go to the dealers. Mine wanted $108+tax for the mats alone. Got them on internet for $76 shipped to my door. Shop around.
    Happy holidays.
  • What are the differences? Would I need both on my new 4runner? I have made the decision to go with a 4runner Limited, V8, NAV, leather, dealer installed rear DVD system , and all the goodies (roof rack, cargo net, spoiler, etc................now I have to get the best price. I decided against the 3rd row seat mainly b/c I want the NAV, but also because the 3rd row seat is NOT safe; no airbags protect the 3rd row and the seats are almost up against the rear door. I wouldnt feel comfortable if I had little ones sitting there....................