Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Go to the main SUV conference page and look up the topic, "Toyota 4WD Systems Explained". Go to the first four posts. Most of your questions will be answered there. I wrote that explanation before the new Runners came out and there is only one difference with them. They now have a Torsen center differential which never allows all the power to go front or rear. You always have some power at both ends.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Posts: 625
    Cliffy1 said it doesn't allow all the power to go to front or rear, but it seems to be inconvenient. What if your front wheels get stuck? It means this diff won't allow 100% of power to go to the rear wheels. Kind of strange, no?
  • intmed99intmed99 Posts: 485
    Check out this extensive thread by me:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12

It will answer most of your question about Torsen Center diff...just scroll down.
  • sovangsovang Posts: 56
    I read the tundra FAQ and it says that the "clunking problem" only occurs on some Tundras. My question is; can this problem be fixed for good or do I continue to grease the hell out of the yoke for the next 5 years? Also, why does it only occur on some runners and not all?

SV
  • coranchercorancher Posts: 232
    I am probably making this harder than it needs to be, but I got tired of reinventing the wheel each time I wanted to convert from the L/100km convention of our esteemed Canadian neighbors to our MPG ratings. It is a bit of an odd thing to do, though, as their base unit is distance and they quote a volume, while our base unit volume and we quote a distance.

Anyway, this seems to work: If you're given a rating in L/100km, just take the number 282.5 and divide it by the L number. This will yield MPG. Thus Galileo757's 13.5L/100km is 20.93MPG.

Which is not too bad for a vehicle of this mass and horsepower, by the way.
  • sovangsovang Posts: 56
    I know very little about cars/trucks, but would like to try and grease the slip yoke on my 03 4runner. Could someone provide some tips or point me to a website where I can find some help.

Thx,

SV
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Posts: 127
    Oh man oh man, you have stumbled upon the mother load. This topic has been discussed, rediscussed, flamed, everything. Try searching for 'egg', 'sulfur' and even spelled wrong 'sulfer'. You will have a ball. BTW, sorry that your are one of the unfortunate ones.

-Jared
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    I was looking around some "octane" sites yesterday and one place mentioned in passing that if you burn premium, you may notice the sulfur smell more than if you run on regular.

Perhaps it's time for someone with the smell problem to test drive a few tanks of the lowest-octane stuff from the scuzziest off-brand station in their neighborhood and see if that helps?

Steve, Host
  • nbuchanannbuchanan Posts: 6
    I only use regular gas in my SR5 V8 and have NEVER suffered from the smell. I'm not sure if that's luck, or a scientific correlation.

After 2,000 miles my gas consumption is averaging out at 19.6 MPG, in mixed driving.
  • billf6531billf6531 Posts: 8
    corancher wrote:

'Anyway, this seems to work: If you're given a rating in L/100km, just take the number 282.5 and divide it by the L number. This will yield MPG. Thus Galileo757's 13.5L/100km is 20.93MPG.'

Ah yes, but is this Miles per US gallon or Canadian gallon?
  • Boris2Boris2 Posts: 177
    Thank!
    I'll look there... I'll let you know if I have more questions...
    Very funny, billf6531, let's just hope nobody takes you seriously. This conversion stuff is strange enough already. Fiddling with Canadian gallons would just make it worse.

Next thing you know, you guys will be asking for something like drams/furlong!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I agree! That's taking things a bit far because a dram is a measure of weight so your conversion will depend on the brand and type of gasoline (they all have different specific gravity).

tidester, host
  • hermantamhermantam Posts: 14
    Still thinking about buying a 4Runner and have been checking this site regularly to see if Toyota comes up with a fix of the smell issue. Love everything about the vehicle but my wife just won't let me buy because of the smell issue...
  • stephend2stephend2 Posts: 21
    Actually there's a 20% difference between the imperial gallon and the U.S gallon. So If you could be out by a bit on your conversion. However we all find this a pain in the but so lots of use the conversion chart made for us on Freds TDI page ( for Vw TDI people)
    Pls go to www.tdiclub.com and use the link on the lower left side of the main page. Now all problems should be easy.

Steve d. 2003 runner sport. (no smell)
    Awesome truck bur need some bush bars for the side so my kids can climb in easier. Any one have recommendations?
    Also the fog lights don't through as much light to the side as my previous Sequoia did. I really miss this on country roads as we have a lot of deer here. Any one have ideas on that?

Cheers
  • billf6531billf6531 Posts: 8
    corancher wrote:

'Anyway, this seems to work: If you're given a rating in L/100km, just take the number 282.5 and divide it by the L number. This will yield MPG. Thus Galileo757's 13.5L/100km is 20.93MPG.'

and then I wrote:

'Ah yes, but is this Miles per US gallon or Canadian gallon?'

and then corancher wrote:

'Very funny, billf6531, let's just hope nobody takes you seriously. This conversion stuff is strange enough already. Fiddling with Canadian gallons would just make it worse.'

Actually I wasn't trying to be funny. I think your calculation, resulting in 20.93 MPG, was per gallon of Canadian gas. A US gallon is only .835 of a Canadian gallon. Therefore your mileage would be 17.48 miles per gallon of US gas.

Anyone want to re-do the calculation from scratch and verify this? BTW, I used 3.8 litres per US gallon, and 4.55 litres per Canadian gallon in my conversions.

EDIT: I saw Stephend2's posting referencing http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html after I posted this note, and plugging the 13.5 litre value in gives the correct MPG in both Canadian and US gallons. Neat stuff!
  • hotelsevenhotelseven Posts: 33
    I just wanted to add one little comment regarding the smell from the exhaust. I have a yellow lab who LOVES hanging her head out the window. One of the reasons I like the Runner is because of the rear sliding window. Now my poor pup has to stick her head right into that egg / ammonia smell from the exhaust. Hope it wont hurt her....
    Billf6531 you are absolutely right about the Canadian/Imperial gallons. I grabbed the liters/gallon conversion from a US website and just assumed that it was US gallons. I feel especially silly because, while I didn't know the exact figure, I sure as heck knew that there were less than 4 liters/US gallon. Why the 4.546 liters/gallon figure didn't raise alarm bells when I saw it is a source of mystery and chagrin.

Anyway, if you find yourself wanting to do the conversion and don't have a web browser handy, (that site IS nifty) the real figure to divide by your L/100km figure is 235. And the result (in US MPG) of 17.5 is more realistic for a V8 in mixed driving. Thanks for setting me straight.
  • rward99rward99 Posts: 185
    I have found this site to be extremely useful. It can convert just about everything.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/
  • bryancosbryancos Posts: 282
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the 4Runner forum, having been a former GMC Envoy owner. I just traded off my 2002 Envoy SLE for a Black 2003 4Runner SR5. Dealer had equipped it quite nicely w/ 17" wheels, moonroof, side curtain airbags, dual cargo, 10 speaker JBL, painted stripes and a clearbra.

For anyone interested, I have posted a bunch of Toyota and aftermarket accessory part numbers for the 2003 4Runner in the "Accessories and/or owner's club?" discussion...

Has anyone found a good price on aftermarket auto-dimming electrochromatic mirrors? The best dealer price I found was $157 for one w/ compass. (listed above) The Gentex and Donnelly sites show pricing much steeper at closer to $200.