Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• martin45martin45 Posts: 51
    This is totally amazing! I cannot believe that with the lack of intelligence displayed here that some of you can even afford payments on this disgraceful SUV! Even more, I cannot imagine how some of you survive in life.

How long can it possibly take for people to come to the realization that there is an exhaust problem with the 2003 4Runner that is adding to the smell problem? It will not magically disappear as some think.

Credibility is lost for those now changing their mind about the sulfur smell. It is either there or not.

Toyota designed this piece of junk, not you. So quit the defensiveness and deal with the truth. The excuses and the remedies posted here are laughable. If Toyota representatives are reading the posts here, they are now probably embarrassed themselves knowing the audience purchasing their vehicle.

The smell problem exists and Toyota will not accept responsibility!
  • martin45martin45 Posts: 51
    If you do not have an 2003 4runner, (which I doubt you do) take a step back on the smell problem.
  • dust90dust90 Posts: 169
    I had a Tacoma with the V6 and the TRD supercharger. Pulled an enclosed trailer that probably weighed 3500lbs. The supercharger helped signigicantly!! Gobs of more low end torque. Look at the torque curves that TRD publishes. Only drawbacks: a little more noise from under the hood and a MINIMUM of 92 Octane fuel. Gas mileage when not towing was exactly the same as before adding the SC. Hope this helps.
  • ltc9024ltc9024 Posts: 11
    We hear you. Give it a rest. Give me your address and I will send you some good Canadian old cheddar cheese to go with your w(h)ine!
  • tomcat83tomcat83 Posts: 7
    Hey martin45, who bought the stinky 4Runner? Smart move.
  • highlander7highlander7 Posts: 177
    Very much appreciate your reply, exactly the information I was hoping for. I was aware of the octane requirements, the noise is not an issue. After installation and use I will post on the 4Runner Accessories link my comments on this TRD upgrade. Again thank you,
    ...Bob

and..... Romania Toyota ( www.toyotaguys.com ) have the best price.
  • tetra7tetra7 Posts: 3
    goto this site:
    http://www.gadgetonline.com/Super.htm

You will find a very good explanation and some problems you MAY run into with a supercharger.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Posts: 410
    From reading your posts about the smell of the 4Runner, I decided to take one out for a test smell. I liked it so much, I bought it. It may may be an acquired smell, much like Limburger cheese, but when you appreciate the finer things in life, well, it grows on you.

:)
    tetra7,

Gadgetonline is must reading for anyone considering purchasing a TRD supercharger.

Thank you for passing this on...

http://www.gadgetonline.com/Super.htm
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    Hey folks ,
    I just stopped by Sandy Springs Toyota in Atlanta area and drove the SR5 model 4WD V6 and V8 for the first time. Here is my feedback on both and please do comment if your impression was similar or totally different ..

SR5 4WD V6 (with 4 miles on ODO): Ran smooth off the mark and throughout the rpm range. Felt a tiny bit short on power going uphill but was not bad whatsoever. The positive impression was that the ride seemed settled and quiet with not much drivetrain noise in 2-wheel-drive mode. Moved it from H2 (2-high) to H4 (4-High) during the test drive and then noticed the drivetrain had stiffened a little and bumps became a little more pronounced.

SR5 4WD V8 (with 6 miles on ODO): Ran smooth off the mark and at speed. I was expecting a lot more smooth response from this legendary V8 but didn't feel the difference from the 6-cyl. In fact, since this one is all-time-4-high, there was that same stiffened feel to the suspension that I found on V6 with H4 mode. My reasoning was the extra smoothness and refinement of the V8 will more than make up for the stiffer ride but the difference in refinement was not there (at least to my senses).

Bottom line (at least for me) was that I walked away more impressed with the 6-cyl as it offers the versatility of staying in 2-wheel-drive and moving to 4-high only when situation requires it. That would also be easier on the fuel consumption and drive-line wear and tear. But on the other hand, Toyota has been making this all time all wheel drive in the LC for more than a decade with amazing reliability so may be my concern of extra toll on the drive-line is unwarranted.

Will look forward for more feedback on this ..
  • reddfishreddfish Posts: 54
    Hey Tidester, Thanks for the link. I have a child with asthma. kb28, you may be better off waiting until 2005 to buy your 4runner. Rorr, I like Mexican food as much as you do, including the beans, but that doesn't mean I want the resulting gas smell in my new vehicle.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Posts: 88
    You continual comments of a 'bad smell' are like a BAD SMELL. You have been heard, check the box and move on.
  • falcon74falcon74 Posts: 67
    With the cladding gone and the exterior of the SR5 essentially looking like the Limited, has anyone heard about any changes for the 2004 Limited model???

I was hoping that they would bring back the two tone paint package and some of the old colors that were on the previous generation.
  • a14014la14014l Posts: 2
    I heard of 03 SR5 OTD for 22,500 at Keyes Toyota. Anyone know name of salesperson or another dealer that will match price?
  • suvowner1suvowner1 Posts: 33
    rward99:
    did you see anything about memory seats or hid headlights as a 2004 option ???

bkhan1:
    I have towed many boats with 2wd vehicles and never had a problem, as long as you are using concrete boat ramps, not anything dirt, then 2wd should almost always be ok, remember the weight of the boat improves your rwd traction significantly, just don't floor when coming up the ramp, just start off nice and easy and you should have no problem. But I would def opt for the V8 for pulling any full size boat. Limited slip diff has been heavily debated on other edmunds sites, and one is not available on the 4runner in either the 4wd or 2wd, it only uses traction control to apply brakes to a spinning wheel.
  • khaugkhaug Posts: 64
    We put some 25K tow miles on a 4,000 lb trailer with our '98 4Runner and traded it in at 75,000 miles on an '03 4Runner Limited V8. The '98 (essentially the same truck as yours) was almost perfectly reliable.

In spite of having almost twice the torque as our '98, the '03 behaves much the same when towing. Even mild grades will cause the torque converter to unlock, and/or the tranny to downshift to 4th. Frankly, I've been a bit disappointed at how little difference is apparent between the two vehicles. I'd guess the same would be true with a supercharger bolted on to your 3.4.

I found that with proper use of the gearbox, out '98 was capable of just about anything when towing, even in the mountains. Note that proper use of the gearbox includes 5,000 rpm in second gear for minutes at a time when towing up long hills on interstate highways in the mountains. The 3.4 V6 and 4-speed AT are very robust, and gave me no trouble at all in spite of this punishing behavior. The only limiting factor on towing in mountains is the brakes, which are VERY prone to fade if you don't use the gears to brake the truck (and will fade on long, steep downgrades even when using 2nd gear to descend).

My suggestion would be to keep what you have and enjoy it. The 3rd gen 'Runners are a class act.

-Karl
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Anyone know name of salesperson or another dealer that will match price?

Please, no posting of contact information on the boards including names of salespeople.

tidester, host
    Karl,

I am surprised that your ‘03 4Runner Limited V8 performed basically the same when towing that your ‘98 had. Last week I considered purchasing a ‘03 Sequoia because of its 4.7 V8, same engine as your new 4Runner. If I had made that purchase and found little difference in towing performance, I would have been very disappointed. The Sequoia is rated to pull 6200 lbs., my 4Runner 5000, not an appreciable difference considering the HP and torque increase in the larger truck.

I’m probably under estimating the power and durability of my ’02. I have the option to buy the 7 year/100,000 mile warranty from my Toyota dealer for $950.00, something I would do if purchasing the supercharger. Probably will do this regardless of what I decide, if the towing causes a problem the repairs will be covered. I consider warranties something you must buy on most domestic cars, not on Honda’s or Toyota’s. My guess is I will never need to use it.

Again thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. Spending $3500.00+ for the supercharger for towing may not give me the performance expected but buying the $950.00 warranty will give me piece of mind.

Bob....
  • coranchercorancher Posts: 232
    When I was shopping I drove both the V6 and V8 versions (all SR5 4WD) and liked them both. I did notice differences, but I'm mindful of how difficult it is to be accurate in these things. Since I wasn't using instruments I don't want to claim too much. Other caveats: There may be unit-to-unit variations, there may be variations over time if the computer programming allows these engine/transmission combinations to "learn" how to work together (I've heard that it does), my test drives were not long or strenuous. I drove several V6s and V8s, and took care one time to drive the two engines over the same course (few miles of freeway, back roads, streets and stoplights), one right after the other. I drove the V6 in both 2WD and 4WD mode.

The two versions performed very similarly, perhaps due to the fact that one has more torque and the other has more horsepower. If transmissions were perfect, more horsepower would always mean better performance, but the broader torque band of the V8 (and the fact that the difference in horsepower is small) probably makes the V8 faster in most situations. One useful test of power is 50-70 MPH acceleration, and both felt equally strong/fast and were impressive even though I wasn't using full throttle. They did the job differently, though. The V6 transmission kicked down immediately and smoothly, while the V8 just pulled hard for a while before kicking down. That may be due to different transmission programming, designed to take advantage of the V8 torque. Though they were both quite civilized, the V6 was a little noisier under heavy acceleration, and didn't sound quite as smooth--no surprise with two fewer cylinders.

Though they felt equally powerful, the V6 seemed a little more responsive, if not "sporty," and the throttle response was smoother. Some of this is probably due to the extra torque (and transmission ratios?) the V8 has at low revs, making it easier to jerk the vehicle around with the throttle. I posted a while back that the V8 felt a little more "clunky" in throttle transitions, especially rolling on the throttle from a near stop. The V6 felt slightly smoother over bumps, especially while turning, and this could be due to the 130lb lighter engine.

There are other reasons to choose between the two engines. The little "V8" badge in the grille is a fun thing to have. Others have written about the newness of this engine, but some have noted that the V8, while several years old, is paired here with a brand new transmission. In terms of long-term reliability, I think it's probably a toss-up. For example, my wife's '98 Camry needed a new transmission to fix a recurring problem, but the engine's been perfect. For me, I liked the availability of a 2WD mode, with its better mileage and potentially lower mechanical wear. A few have had problems with bad smells from the V8s, and the problem appears to be less or absent with the V6. The V8 is better for towing, and the May+ production units will have a beefier hitch (and a $300 bigger price difference)--see my previous post on the new tow ratings.

By the way, that big plastic shield on the top of the V6 that says VVT-i is not just window dressing. It's a heavy thing, bolted at the front and hinged at the back and padded to provide sound damping/insulation. It covers what I believe are air plenums and I expect it softens intake drone under acceleration.

As I said above, these are my opinions and experiences. My decision bounced back and forth several times and I would have been happy either way. You should test drive until you feel comfortable with your choice, and drive what you like. It's your money!
  • sween77sween77 Posts: 31
    Its people like Martin that make it difficult to take this sulphur issue seriously. Martin writes in incomplete sentences and it is obvious that his mind can only concentrate on one issue at a time.
    Im curious do you still have your cladded SR5 4Runner? As much as you hate the vehicle I would assume that you have traded it. Trading a vehicle that you hate and proclaim to be "junk" would be logical. Therefore I am betting that you still have the vehicle.