Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    I would definitely buy my 03 V-8 Sport again. The other vehicles you are looking at really are mostly larger non off-road vehicles. I guess you have to decide how many passengers you will carry and do you need real off-road capability.
  • mm3051mm3051 Posts: 10
    Short of going to the dealer, what would be a good source for purchasing a set of 2004 17" x 7" stock wheels for a 04 v8 Limited 4Runner ?
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Posts: 150
    Those rims show up on ebay alot.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Posts: 213
    In 9/03 I finally rid myself of a 2002 Ford Explorer lemon, and then promptly bought an '03 4Runner Limited. Thus far I've been extremely satisfied with my 4Runner, as well as the exemplary service I'm receiving from my dealer.

I find this SUV to be so highly enjoyable and pleasurable to drive and spend time in. Indeed, my luxuriously appointed and solidly built 4Runner is rather like a soothing and inviting "decompression chamber" that makes my long daily work commutes something I eagerly look forward to, rather than something I would dread in many other vehicles. I'll confess that whenever I park this vehicle and begin to walk away, I can't resist the urge to turn around and have yet another look at her.

In my opinion, while no vehicle is perfect, the new 4Runner is a magnificent and remarkably sophisticated yet rugged SUV that's currently in a benchmark class of its own among mid-sized SUVs. The 4Runner is so much more than just mere "transportation". Rather, it is a high performance SUV that's so well engineered, so well built, and so comfortable that it transforms driving or "getting there" into such a pleasurable and addictive past-time that one may feel a bit disappointed when the drive is over!
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Posts: 153
    "I'll have what he's having".
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Posts: 142
    I have 17" rims on my 04 SR5. I just purchased Toyota steel rims with dedicated winter tires on 16" rims. Rims were about $60 each. Not sure why you are looking for rims, but I had some Bridestone Winter Duelers, and the 16" rims work on the SR5 and the Limited, but not the Sport, due to larger diameter rotors.
  • 1. I've got a 03 and at dawn and dusk, I can't see the gauges without turning on the headlights. I wish my gauges were lit at those times. Maybe that's the compromise that Toyota came up with. I'm tempted to install an led to shine on them.

2. The upgraded JBL isn't all it's cracked up to be. The only speakers that have any sort of capability are the ones in the front doors -- and maybe the center speaker.

3. You should have got a van ;-)

4. If you're not into the ashtray option, install another lighter jack somewhere convenient. They're available at most auto accessory store. 12V.

5. My Sport came with lights in both vanity mirrors. Had to pay to get running boards though. The '04 model has them standard now.

What about wind noise at both from side windows at 60+ MPH? That's one of my annoyances. In all fairness, it could be because I installed side window visors.
  • bmc5bmc5 Posts: 16
    Has anyone replaced their current halogen low, high beam headlights and fog lights on '03 Runners with HID (Sylvania or Phillips brands seem to be the best)? If so, can HID bulbs be installed by Toyota techs at my local dealership? I'm interested in upgrading to HID lighting and if I do, I want it to be done the correct way. Your advice and assistance is appreciated. What do you think the cost would be?
  • I've changed all mine using 6000k. I didn't buy name brand, instead I went for them on ebay. Very bright.

Low beam headlamp Part number = 9006 (55w 6000k)
    High beam headlamp Part number = 9005 (65w 6000k)
    Fog/Driving light Part number = 9006 (55w 6000k)

Save your money and do it yourself. Just DON'T TOUCH the bulbs! They burn very hot and any residue could cause the glass to overheat and damage may result.

The low beam on the passenger side was the most difficult to reach from below. Watch you head on the towing link too. It's harder than my head!
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Posts: 213
    I have ordered PIAA's H3 "Ion Crystal" fog lamp bulbs to replace the stock bulbs in the factory fog lamps. My dealer said they'll be happy to install them for me, but of course I'll be charged for the labor (~$65.00/hr.), which shouldn't take more than ~1/2 hour or so.

As for brand preference, I obviously prefer PIAA :)

I like the stock headlamps just fine thus far, so I have no plans to replace them at this time.
  • glb5glb5 Posts: 39
    I just did a search on ebay for an o4 4runner 17X 71/2 alum rim as i want an extra. is there some trick to this type of a search, as i had no luck whatsoever? i.e. what do i type in to do the search as i seem to have includded to much information.
  • I replaced all with 7000k HID ones. Same as yabedude, I got them on ebay with the total price at ~$42. You can change them all by yourself. But I found the most difficult ones to change are the fog bulbs.

I compared the stock ones (at one side) and the 7000k ones (at the other side). Very obvious difference and much brighter on the 7000k.
  • alfster1alfster1 Posts: 273
    I used some bulbs (EuroDezigns) that I purchased on Ebay....7000k. They are very bright and white, but their life is shorter. One of mine blew out within 2mos of moderate use.

I then purchased Sylvania SilverStars for the low beams and kept the 7000k Eurodezigns for the high beam and fog lamps. You can purchase them for about $16 each on sale at Pepboys. They are not as bright, but their longevity should be greater than a higher kelvin bulb.

The bulbs are very easy to install in less than 5 min. Just make sure to not touch the bulbs themselves.
  • bmc5, I don't want to nit-pick, but the replacement bulbs mentioned aren't actually HID. They're variations on the normal halogen variety, typically emitting more light and/or light that's closer to the blue end of the spectrum. Sylvania sells these under the Silver Star brand and PIAA is another popular brand. These bulbs presumably burn a little hotter (that's one reason for the higher brightness and bluer look) and the legal (for street use) ones have been reported to have a shorter life than stock bulbs. Of course you can buy bulbs that are brighter because they use more power, but my understanding is that they aren't technically legal for on-road use.

HID means "high-intensity discharge" and true HID bulbs are actually bulb systems, with separate high-voltage supplies. These supplies drive light elements that are more similar to an extremely bright flourescent light or a camera flash element than they are to a filament. I don't know if conversion kits are available for the 4Runner, but these conversion kits with high voltage supplies, etc. typically cost $500-$1000.
  • bmc5bmc5 Posts: 16
    Thanks for the feedback on HID suggestions. I came across this website that helped me try to get a better understanding on HID lighting.
    Take a look and see what you think.

www.intellexual.net
  • evgevg Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport. When I start the truck I hear a noise behind the passenger side dashboard. It sounds like a weak power antenna for about three seconds followed by a light pop. It's not constant but every few minutes. The Toyota service department where I purchased it says it's the VSC control and that it's normal noise. The manual says I should here it when I start the truck for a few seconds. My problem is it's happening at anytime when the engines running whether I'm parked, braking or driving. It's hard to believe that an annoying constant noise is considered "normal". Does anyone else have this noise and what did you do for it. Please advise.
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Posts: 150
    For the rims I would search in the ebay parts section under "toyota rims or wheels" or something like that. It isn't a store so they are not always up for auction buy I can tell you through my searches in toyota parts that they do show up often.
  • dpalaudpalau Posts: 20
    1. The light thing doesn't bother me that much anymore. Not being able to see them at dusk/dawn would probably bother me a lot more. It's just 'different' than what I have been used to.

2. I fiddled around with the speaker settings (Bass -1, Treb +2, Fade -1) and finally can tolerate it for the mix of talk radio and music that I listen to. Before it was too 'muddy' (too much bass?). Not that they are the best speakers in the world, but we have some Infinity ones in our other car (a 2001 Jeep GC) and to me that sounds a lot better.

3. Never, ever. Even if I have a dozen kids. :)

4. Hopefully with the 115V outlet it will be enough for what I need (a radar detector in the 12V, a cell phone charger when needed in the 115V).

5. The standard running boards are nice. The vanity light thing doesn't bother me (it does bother my wife though). I just thought it was such a simple option to include (along with the auto-defrost outside mirrors) that it would have been a no-brainer for Toyota. But there must be some wiring issue as they do come with the side airbag option.

I have noticed no wind noise with mine. I don't have any deflectors. I do have the spoiler. In fact, it seems like one of the quietest vehicles I have had, including our 2001 Jeep GC and our old 96 RAV4 (especially the RAV4).
  • The base of the driver's seat on my '03 V8 Sport is prone to move slightly. It is especially noticeable upon acceleration. You can feel the seat give and there is a soft "pop" that you can hear and reproduce by rocking in the seat. I have seen others describe this problem in this forum but have yet to hear of anyone coming away from Toyota with anything but the dealer telling them that this is normal. The movement is VERY annoying and is unacceptable. Has anyone had this successfully resolved?
  • I had the same problem with my driver's seat. The fix was a new bracket for the seat. It was fixed under warranty, and the technician did it during an oil change.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Posts: 127
    brian,

Like others have said, the decision of a 4runner over competition should be based on your needs: if you are going to go offroad, if people moving is a more important issue, etc.

For me, I researched for 5 months, then special ordered, waiting 3 months for arrival, and I'm so glad I did. The truck just seems so much more solid than anything else I've driven. I take it offroad every other month or so, and I still don't have any rattles. Great vehicle, I would buy it again in a heartbeat.
  • Glad your happy with your 4-Runner.

Hard to believe you've had it off road and don't complain of any rattles. My 2003 Sport is a rattle trap; the dash sounds like it's not bolted up tight, the moon roof door bangs up and down, the rear seat clamps make noise and there's some unidentified noise in the rear of the truck. All the while my front seat is moving back and forth as I go down the road listening to the CD player that skips when I hit a bump. Oh what a feeling!
    I've taken my 03 4Runner Limiter offroad at Paragon Adventure Park in Hazelton, PA a couple of times on some of the easier trails (since I don't have a winch yet and don't want to damage my 4Runner) and didn't notice any rattles or unusual noises. I was definitely impressed in that I actually got a chance of using the rear air suspension to help increase the departure angle.

I think some of the rattle issues that you have (ie. moonroof) are covered under TSB, but not sure about the others.
  • glb5glb5 Posts: 39
    Does anyone out there with a repair manual for an 04 runner know if the unused electrical connector under the drivers seat is all the wiring needed to install a limited seat in a sr5 and make it work properly? The bolt holes are the same to bolt the seat in. I hope someone can help me on this one as i just detest the manual seat, I can't see any extra wiring under the passanger seat so i guess i'am out of luck on installing both driver and passanger. THANK YOU.
  • Here's the TSB's on the front seat problems we're experiencing, confront your dealer with them.

NV004-03 APR 03 Interior - Front Seats Squeak/Creak
     NV001-03 MAR 03 Interior - Front Seat Track Squeak/Creak
  • sivi1sivi1 Posts: 82
    IF I CAN BUY A 2005 WTTHOUOT THE THIRD ROW SEAT ,I WILL CONSIDER, I DO NOT USE SECOND SEAT, MAYBE 2 TIMES A YEAR
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    I have a 03 Sport V-8. No noises in the dash, moon roof or in the rear. My 6 disk changer has never skipped.
       It is one of the quietest vehicles I've owned in quite a while. I've had it out on the
     beach, too.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Posts: 127
    I don't have a moonroof, and I think your problems are covered in a TSB. I had a rear seat clamp rattle early on, which I took in and they tightened the clamp under warranty. I wouldn't let anything within the warranty time bother you, just take it in. That is what it is there for. Another suggestion is to put your back seats down during offroading, one less thing to put under stress. Oh, and my cd's never skipped.. even going 50mph down a rutted dirt road.

On a similar note, I had a squeaking from the belts in the front so I took it in, and it looked like I qualified for the Belt Tensioner TSB that is listed here on Edmunds. Well long story short, they replaced the parts under warranty, and I saw the bill and it was $407.25.. which I didn't have to pay, but I'm certainly glad I took this in while warranty is around.

I still think this is a reliable truck, there are always little kinks to work out the first year in a line. I'm sure the 2004's have already fixed a lot of the little issues.
  • Appreciate the input on your 4-runners. I've been to the dealer twice about my "little issues" and have been essentially turned away. I need to see a Toyota Rep as I'm getting nowhere with Stevenson Toyota in Denver.

I bring up these issues up on the board, not to denigrate the vehicle as some expect but to have an open forum of discussion about the vehicle. I've learned about the moon roof, JBL and front seat TSB'S and hope to find more so I can arm myself when I go back to the dealer. The dealer to me is "Toyota" and right now I've got a bad taste in my mouth about the brand.

My last vehicle was a Grand Cherokee that gave me a lot of trouble, however the dealer was just great. They were very accommodating and fixed all the problems I had with the vehicle, they even gave me an extended warranty. I almost bought another Jeep because the dealer was so good to me.
    Have you considered going to another Toyota dealer in your area or calling Toyota Corporate for further assistance? Hopefully your problems can be fixed under TSB. Good luck.