Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• rokinkrokink Posts: 25
    I had a '96 4runner that had this high frequency vibration that I felt in the gas pedal, shift lever, and steering wheel. I later learned that it was in the Land Cruisers and previous 4runners as well. I am not surprised that it is in the GX as well. BTW, it is in my '03 V8. I would not worry about it. It is normal for Toyota trucks.
  • khaugkhaug Posts: 64
    Uktrucker, I strongly suspect they do, in fact, all do that. The demo I drove did and our V8 Limited does also. It's really pretty minor, and I don't have a problem living with it. I'd guess that it probably involves a harmonic resonance that they weren't able to tune out.

As mentioned above, our '98 'Runner had a similar problem, although it occurred at 2700 rpms.

-Karl
  • dust90dust90 Posts: 169
    Drove at highway speeds with the back window down for the first time today. Needed to haul some 2x4's and had to let them stick out the window. Got the sulphur smell when I had one or more of the side windows open, but if all that was open was the tailgate window, I didn't get the smell. Actually the smell was kind of invigorating and it cleared my sinuses!! I LOVE my 4Runner, even if it isn't perfect
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Posts: 625
    dust90, do you have a V6 or V8?

BTW, a week or so ago I was driving behind a Camry (looked at least 5 years old), and I could smell a mild sulphur smell, so it looks like this problem has been around for a while. Shame on Toyota for producing stinky cars, it's just not cool :-(
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    and all cars and trucks do it a little bit sometimes, folks! It is often worse from vehicles that have not been kept in good tune, or are under load (steep hill, pedal-floored acceleration).

I notice it from all cars whenever I leave California...Seattle is one of my favorite destinations, and I'll be darned if less than about one in ten cars there stinks exactly the same way. I always used to attribute it to the fact that they have much less stringent emissions standards up there, and since it is people in federal-standard states that are reporting this problem, I have to believe there is at least some validity to my little theory!

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• reddfishreddfish Posts: 54
    I was offered a v6 limited with nav for $37600, is that bad or good?
  • rokinkrokink Posts: 25
    reddfish: Tell us what other options are on the vehicle.
  • jagsdadjagsdad Posts: 56
    I think this problem with the sulpher smell may be bigger than we thought. Yesterday I was walking behind my son, who was riding is tri-cycle. Sure enough, I smelled the sulpher smell. I investigated and foud that Toyota also has a company that makes trikes--Toyotricycles. I'm calling my congressperson...
  • reddfishreddfish Posts: 54
    6 disc cd changer, plus all the standard options on the limited. no mention of any others
  • jagsdadjagsdad Posts: 56
    That price sounds high, unless its out the door. I presume its a 2WD. Isn't the invoice on Edmunds for that setup about $34K? Have you looked at the message board, "2003 4Runner...What did you pay?" It seems you should be getting them down close to invoice. The SR5s and Sports seem to be going considerably below invoice.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Posts: 127
    Well I headed East out of San Diego to Ocotillo Wells SVRA in the Anzo Barrego Desert to go offroading in the new 4runner. My review is absolutely amazing. I have a sport, so I have X-REAS and let me tell you, that when you are teetering through tight canyons, or over rocks, you can really feel the benefit. The truck was so stable and solid, it was unbelievable. I even towed another truck (I think a ford 150 modified) out of a sand bank within the first 3 miles (which tested the towing capacity really quickly). The only downside was that with X-reas and that stiff suspension, you can really feel the ruts, but I wouldn't trade it for anything when it comes to being able to really feel your way over obstacles.
    I had time in deep sand, and it floated through flawlessly (I kept up speed of course). I tested the DAC (downhill assist control) which worked, but was a huge leap of faith taking my foot off the brake! And I also spent much time in 4-LO, which was so powerful (I have the V-6) over rocks and over the big hills. Overall, amazing truck, didn't scrape at all going over things, and the Air conditioning and stereo was a blessing in the 104 degree, two hour off-road trek.
  • leej2leej2 Posts: 7
    Since the "rotten egg" discussion is kicking up again all interested may want to check the following link from The Irish Petroleum Industry Association. It was the most informative thing that I could find with a quick search of the web.

http://www.ipia.ie/oilbrief/hydrogen.htm#Hydrogen%20Sulphide%20Nu- isance%20from%20Vehicles%20fitted%20with%20Catalytic%20Converters

A couple of excerpts:

A small number of cases have been reported of catalyst cars producing a smell of bad eggs associated with formation of hydrogen sulphide. The problem arises through:

...the presence of a low level of sulphur compounds in petrol

...the storage of sulphur by the catalyst during lean operations
    ... the release of hydrogen sulphide during fuel rich operations e.g. heavy acceleration, sharp deceleration after cruising, warm up.

and

The smell associated with hydrogen sulphide from catalysts is perceived as unpleasant and a nuisance. The human nose if particularly sensitive to hydrogen sulphide and can detect it at concentrations as low as a few parts per billion. This is around a thousand times lower than the concentrations likely to give rise to health concerns.

It sound as though there may be fixes by using Catalytic converters with different designs. Maybe after-market?
  • dust90dust90 Posts: 169
    Mine is the V8

jagsdad, find out what your son had been eating before you call your congressman! It may not have been the tricycle! My boy can certainly emit some strange gases at times!!
  • coranchercorancher Posts: 232
    I haven't experienced the smell problem, but I've been interested in this topic nonetheless. Hearing about different experiences, I've been wondering if there might be a way to change the system operating point to reduce or eliminate the smell. leej2's post gives me enough information to suggest some possibilities.

Because of the emissions laws and warranty issues, it might be a problem to change the cats or to make significant adjustment changes. However if this problem is due to an unusual (but sometimes persistent) combination of operating conditions, it might be helpful to change those conditions, at least a little. These changes would still fall within the normal operating range of the system.

The obvious candidate is to swap out something like an oxygen sensor. These components control (in closed-loop operation anyway) the leanness or richness of the mixture. They're not lab-grade instruments, and so I assume they vary somewhat in their calibration, unit-to-unit. I'm wondering if they might vary enough to get the engine away from the operating point where it produces the smell.

I only know a little about this subject. Hopefully others can contribute, and maybe even perform an experiment if the approach looks promising and there is enough motivation.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You know the SO2 discussion has gone on too long when people start talking about flatulence.

tidester, host
  • nbuchanannbuchanan Posts: 6
    My boat trailer wiring harness has the conventional flat 4-way wiring plug. The hitch plug on my 4Runner is round, but I don't know if it's a 5, 6 or 7-way. Does anyone know which adapter I should use?

Many thanks!
  • sovangsovang Posts: 56
    nbuchanan,

I just went through the same thing, but I didn't get it to work correctly so I hoping someone else can help both us. By looking at the round connector on the 4runner, it looks like there are 7 connections. I too have a 4pin boat trailer so I bought a 7 to 4 converter from Autozone. Everything works except for turn signals. I am not sure what is wrong--still investigating.

SV
  • jcla7jcla7 Posts: 18
    sovang and nbuchanan, Just did the same thing. Got a 7 to 5 adapter and it works just fine. I've got the 5 pin trailer connection; I believe the fifth pin is to lock out the surge brake feature so one can back up without activating the surge brake. I wouldn't think 5 versus 4 would have any bearing on the blinkers. How old is the trailer?

Incidentally, just used the '03 V6 to tow my boat about 100 miles through some 2 lane, hilly terrain. It worked terrific. Then had to go down a really bad gravel/rock road to launch. Again, terrific. The more I drive this truck, the more I like it.

JC
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Posts: 189
    I tried mounting my 2", 1" shank width and 1.5" shank length into the factory supplied hitch receiver. The ball shank was too small, in other words the hole for the shank is 1.5" across, meaning I need a 1.5" shank width ball. I have looked everywhere for a ball that size. Am I missing something in the measurements? Also, the rig is rated to tow 5,000lbs, the factory hitch receiver is rated for 10,000lbs.
  • sovangsovang Posts: 56
    JC,

I have an old trailer so it is possible that it was wired incorrectly. With my 7 to 4 converter, the left signals doesn't work atall and the right signal blinks all the lights--like when the emergency button is pressed.

SV