Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• I have the SR5 with grey cladding. Now that the white is offered in the AP.....could i just simply order that parts from toyota and replace my cladding with the smooth version? Are there any differences in the way they fit?

Im caught in the middle with just painting my current grey or just ordering the smooth fenders color matched already from toyota....im just worried that they wont attach correctly.
  • sovangsovang Posts: 56
    Which option is cheaper? I too have a white 4runner with the grey cladding. It doesn't bother me too much, but if it is cheap, I might do in the future.
  • intmed99intmed99 Posts: 485
    Memory seats are reserved for Lexus vehicles. No Toyota will ever have it. The Land Cruiser doesn't even have it.

HID will likely NOT be available either on a Toyota...again, it's probably a "Lexus thing".
  • intmed99intmed99 Posts: 485
    Need i remind you??

Jeep GC's 2 (TWO FREAKING) stars out of 5 on:
    1. MECHANICAL QUALITY (that's too darn funny!)
    2. Performance
    3. Comfort
    4. Style
    5. Overall Appeal
    6. Dealership appearance

3 (THREE) stars on: QUALITY and Features.

Oh yeah, go Jeep!
  • I hate to beat a dead horse but, I checked past posts & I still can't figure out why I seem to be the only one not getting 20 mpg on my V6 ! Toyota experts : should I worry ? Should I have a technician @ the dealership check something? I have over 7500 miles so I think it should be broken in by now ! I'd like to get this 20-22 like some of the others out there are getting ! Any suggestions ?
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "HID will likely NOT be available either on a Toyota...again, it's probably a "Lexus thing".

Not that this is on-topic or anything but I'm fairly sure that HID lights are available on the Celica.......of course there is no Lexus equivalent to this car so you can draw your own conclusions....
  • It would be cheaper to paint but you wont have the smooth fenders. Paint job runs $1300. Thats everything inclduing side mirrors. This particular place offering the paint job is the same place all souther california 4runners are having it done. If you notice...most dealers now carry the painted claddind. (painted cladding meaning the grey painted over and not the AP)
  • bryancosbryancos Posts: 282
    Pat84: I have an SR5 w/ Vanity mirrors.. they *ARE* lighted...

2003help: See my post in the accessories board:

#24 of 30 Foglights... by bryancos Jun 18, 2003 (4:24 pm)
    Check this place for foglights for your 2003 4Runner:
    http://www.overnightautoparts.com/toyota-4runner-4ru-4wdv8-001-fo- g-light.html

Looks like they carry the lenses - not sure about the switch, since it's on the turn signal stalk - who says you can't wire a separate switch? You'll need to call them at 1-888-267-1845 for pricing... Shouldn't matter if you have the V8 or V6... it's the model year that matters.
  • bryancosbryancos Posts: 282
    I'm thinking about getting the ashtray kit to add extra 12V accessory outlets. Where is the ashtray for those of you that have one? Is it in the center console next to the shifter where the flip up door and 12V port is, or does it reside where the lower door is in the bottom of the front center console beneath the AC controls?
    I'm hoping it's the latter...
  • steveb84steveb84 Posts: 187
    The Celica had HID's available, the 04 Prius will also.

The Avalon has had memory seats available for a few years.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Posts: 625
    And I think that's the most important category, as it makes no sense to have a "comfortable" car, which constantly break down. What a joy it is to wait for a tow truck sitting in amazing comfort! But, I think it is fair to say, that pretty much for every new vehicle subsequent model years are more bug-free, and it should also be the case with the new 4Runner
  • coranchercorancher Posts: 232
    Several possibilities come to mind, in no particular order: Have you tried a different gas station or a different pump. Could be the meter on the pump is wrong and you're just paying for fewer gallons than you should. Try a different grade of fuel, since lower grades (as long as you're above the 87 minimum) should give slightly better mileage. Could be that you drive with a heavy foot or in more traffic or up/down lots of hills. Could be that you're always hauling around cargo or passengers. Check your engine temp reading on the dash, since a stuck thermostat will have the engine running too cool/rich.

How much lower than 20 MPG are you getting? If you're pretty close (19 or better?), you may be doing about as well as anybody in similar conditions. On the other hand if your driving is mostly highway with mild hills and not hauling heavy loads, you should have something to complain about. Unfortunately I don't know who you'd complain to (other than the rest of us here!) because manufacturers don't warrant any MPG performance. Of course, if you're ever getting check engine lights, that's another story.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    will become more and more common in the next few years, so Toyota will have to offer them to remain competitive, and as has already been pointed out, they already do on several models. All of the celica GTSs are sold with them now, around here.

By the time these things are standard across the line for vehicles like 4Runner, Lexus will have moved on to to new fancy and exclusive gooides anyway! :-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    the best I could ever manage with a V-6 I had for an extended period was about 19 mpg, and that was more highway than city, so if you do mostly city driving, you could call 16 or 17 reasonable. Unless you are doing much worse than that, there is probably little to worry about.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    Also keep in mind that some people simply don't know how to correctly calculate their gas mileage(no disrespect to anyone here). If they are getting 20+ on the highway exclusively, that's ok, but in mixed driving anything between 16 & 20 should be considered ok. The EPA numbers for a 2003 LTD 4wd are 15 city and 19 highway and EPA numbers are typically high for some vehicles.
  • yomolsyomols Posts: 24
    I live in Denver Co. and have a 2003 V6. I've read past posts and am sill not clear on using 85 or 87 grade gas. I would prefer to save the $ using regular unleaded (85 octane) but not at the price of harming the engine. My dealer is little to no help. Would really appreciate opinions from other 2003 4Runner owners especially those from higher altitudes. Many thanks.
  • 4runtexas4runtexas Posts: 31
    what does everyone think about purchasing Xenon bulbs (9006/9005 are the correct size for the '03 4Runner)??

i was thinking of purchasing the bulbs for the foglights and normal beam headlights. what are yalls thoughts on this?

also, from what i understand, toyota will ONLY install PIAA bulbs that are sold at the dealer where the installation will take place, i called for a price, they asked $212.62 for 4 bulbs and installation, a REDICULOUS price if you ask me! these same bulbs can be purchased for 30 dollars a peice!

but, just checking on what you guys think, ive heard lesser quality bulbs burn up the sockets and can cause damage to the engine harness from the dealer, but i think this may be something they say to get me to buy their bulbs...

plus, has any body put them in? or does anyone know safe bulbs that wont overheat...
  • suvowner1suvowner1 Posts: 33
    I have a 2001 grand cherokee and I installed the xenon 9005/6 xs by eaglight that I purchased for 7.50 per bulb, and are as bright as the 50 dollar per bulb by sylvania and others............the differecne is they are slightly overwatted.....I think 80w and 100w, and they have a blue coating on them to block the yellow light and makes the emitted light appear slightly blue but def much brighter and whiter. Supposedly this is as close as you can get to hid, but my friend has a volvo xc90 with real hids, and it really is alot better light than the xenons. Most wiring harnesses can handle the minimal increase in amperage draw from the slighty higher watt bulbs, if heat becomes too much of a problem then the lights simply shouldn't last as long, but at 15.49 a pair, who cares ???

her is the link to the web site where I ordered mine :
    http://midnightmoose.com/9005.htm
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    The coating on the bulbs to absorb yellow will make the bulbs burn hotter than the same bulb with no coating.
     I once had a Dodge Caravan that I put the same bulbs in that you have (mine didn't have the coating). The bulbs were higher wattage than OEM. As for burning out a wiring harness, that would only happen if the fuze was bad and didn't blow. Not very likely.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Posts: 410
    I live in Denver too. A couple of days ago, I was in a large Toyota dealer (Elway on Arapahoe) and asked several of the techs and service employees, independantly, about the fuel grade question. I got several different answers as one would expect, but none said that 91 octane premium was necessary. Some said 87 was the grade to use, others said you can use 85 around town, but might want to go up to 87 in the mountains or under heavy load. One tech said to use the lowest grade as long as the engine did not ping. If it pings, immediately move to a higher grade. Note that I was asking relative to the V6 engine.

I've been using 91 octane premium so far in my 4Runner for the first 1600 miles. Now I am planning to run a couple of tanks of 87 octane, and then run a tank or two of 85 octane. I will see if the performance or the gas mileage suffers as I move down the line. I also stay away from the cheaper brands of gasoline - I ususally use Amoco or sometimes Texaco.

Another strange fact is that the higher the elevation the better my fuel mileage gets. At least that is something positive that offsets the loss of power at elevation.