Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    How much lead would I need to lower my bubble ?
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Posts: 150
    hhmmmmm........I wouldn't add any, it would drop like a "led zeppelin"
  • kjack100kjack100 Posts: 133
    Abrams M1 tank or bicycle with roll cage. Thoughts/suggestions?
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Posts: 107
    Truely, the best laugh I've had in about 2 years; i.e., the bubble/lead bubble/M1 material. I thank you.
    You mean the bubble would fall down like an Iron Butterfly ?
  • rayh78rayh78 Posts: 6
    Still suprised why their is not much to warn new buyers about this. It is even called a bad egg smell instead of what it really smells like.
    The posts say it is caused by gasoline and not the design of the 4 runner. Could be but I have never smelled it on another car or heard about it before. I can not drive mine with the windows open unless I drive it like a little old lady or like it had a 4 cly engine. Defeats the purpose of having a V8. Also have not heard much about the problem from the lexus model owners. Could it be they would not have stood for this?
  • alfster1alfster1 Posts: 273
    You are right that Toyota should advise potential customers about this potential problem, but it is my guess that they are concerned about losing sales, of course. Only a small percentage of 4Runner actually have the Sulfur smell in typical driving conditions (ie. driving with the rear cargo window closed). I personally only experienced this problem when attempting to drive with the cargo window open (which the owner's manual forbids). I have been using various grades and brands of gasoline, but typically use 87-89 octane. For my 4Runner, Exxon seems to be the best.

Recently, I read that the federal government may relax the restrictions on sulfur content in order to help reduce the recent hikes in gasoline prices and to increase supply. If this is true, it is possible that the sulfur problem could become more prevalent my summer, during peak travel periods.
    Expecting Toyota to advise people of the POTENTIAL problems that a few people have experienced before they sell you a vehicle is unreasonable and ridiculous. The only way to level that playing field would be to require all manufacturers to alert potential buyers of potential problems. Never gonna happen. Ford would have to give out a small book of problems to anyone who walks in the dealership.

btw I've been riding around lately with the rear window down and gunning it occasionally and still can't get it to smell. I have only put premium in it though if that makes a difference.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Posts: 213
    I've put nearly 16,000 miles on my '03, V8 4Runner Limited, and have yet to encounter this odor problem. But, I also use high quality, 91-93 octane, low sulfur fuels such as Sunoco, Shell, or Chevron. I also clean my fuel system every 2500-3000 miles with Chevron Techron Concentrate (fuel additive), and this added measure may also help to keep the catalytic converter in good condition.

My guess would be that the more one uses lower quality, higher sulfur content fuels, the more the catalytic converter might become "doped" with an excess of sulfated compounds, and the more the exhaust might then stink. On the other hand, switching consistently to a higher quality, low sulfur fuel should eventually correct the problem, and allow the catalytic converter to burn off and puge itself of the excess sulfur.

I would speculate that most of those who have the sulfur-odor exhaust problem are probably more likely to be filling up with a variety of fuels, and perhaps choosing fuel based more on price or convenience, rather than sticking with brands such as Sunoco, Shell, or Chevron.

Several months ago I posted a message here that included an interesting link from Sunoco. I don't recall the message #, but the link included various tables published by Sunoco in which (at least for Sunoco fuels) there was clearly an inverse relationship between octane rating and sulfur content. In other words (at least for Sunoco fuels), the higher the octane rating, the lower the sulfur content.

Out of curiosity, I've previously done a good deal of "web research" on this issue, and I've repeatedly seen mention of avoiding a variety of fuels, including BP/Amoco; as well as avoiding or minimizing fill-ups at sources that are most likely to buy whichever off-brand, generic fuels are the least expensive. Such stations might include a variety of convenience stores that also sell fuel, as well as certain local "Mom and Pop" gas stations.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Posts: 127
    Has anyone successfully lifted their 03-04 runner w/ XReas? I'm look for a 2-3 inch lift, but I can't seem to figure out how to work around the XReas suspension. I like XReas very much and when I bought it I figured someone would make a lift kit for the 4runner within a year (I guess I was wrong).

I've been offroad a few times now, but now I'm thinking of upgrading the armor and the ground clearance.

Thanks.
  • rayh78rayh78 Posts: 6
    I am sure your opinion will change when you do get the smell. It seems to happen at a different amount of mileage with different owners. Reading on different forms it seems like a few that don’t have it instead of the other way around. Also you should call it a likely problem instead of a potential one.
  • mgabel2mgabel2 Posts: 37
    I'm VERY confused here: You say: "avoiding variety of fuels, including BP/Amoco"

I was under the impression that BP/Amoco (Ultimate - hightest octane) is very low in sulfur. That's what their web site says and that's what I recall reading on this site. I've had an 04 V8 Sport for 3500 miles and have ONLY used BP/Amomco Ultimate and I have had "no" [ok, a whiff here and there but I was not sure whose vehicle it was coming from] sulfur smell.
    I don't know what forums your on but I am on some popular 4Runner sites and the smell is reported by a very few (they like to be loud about it and complain every chance they get though). I don't have the smell, I won't get the smell and I will be enjoying the summer with the rear window down.

Anyway my point was not to deny that people have this problem it was how it would be ridiculous to warn customers before buying the truck over this potential problem.
    I don't have it. I have an 03 Sport V-8. I put only name brand fuels in it , mostly 87 Octane.
     I do remember that Amoco / BP ultimate was supposed to be one of the lowest sulfur gasolines, too.
     BTW I have noticed the sulfur smell on other than Toyotas. I was behind a Hyundai Santa Fe, That thing was ripe. . .
  • stove1stove1 Posts: 53
    I had it for two month after I bot my 04 in January. Its gone now. Don't know its new engine thing or winter gasoline casusing the smell.

Gas brand made no difference.
  • erisareperisarep Posts: 16
    None, never. V-8 limited, 2003. 20,000 miles. Great truck.
  • highlander7highlander7 Posts: 177
    Have been using Sunoco Ultra 94 and Amoco-BP Ultimate for 6850 miles in my 04 V8 4Runner. No sulfur odors.

The vehicle is almost perfect. For 05 if Toyota adds a 6 disc cd with the Nav, auto power up/down for the passenger window and a 8 way power passenger seat, it will be perfect.
  • mud7mud7 Posts: 6
    Howdy, all.. This is my first post to Edmunds, feels great to be here!
    I've had my 4Runner for almost a year now, and I really like it.. But I can't say I love it..
    Yea, I know it's a Toyota.
    But what happened to that classic Toyota fit and finish ? My '85 Landcruiser doesn't have the interior pops and rattles that my new rig does, even with over 190,000 miles on it..
    In particular, IT'S THAT CHEAPO HEADLINER that's causing all the ruckus.
    Question: Are the '04's any better, and is there a real fix for this? (sunroof wiring was 'fixed' by dealer, gotta go back again)..
    Next question:
    Although "Sporty" corners well for a ladder frame with a live axle, and pretty darn flat to boot, I still have issues with understeer..
    Yes, I know, it's a truck, but..
    I Was wondering if anybody out there could offer advice on aftermarket tires to replace the stock 265/65-17 Dunlop AT 20 Grandtrek's..
    Or, any other insight as to why this rig wants to go straight when it's a-turnin' we should be doing!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,958
    Welcome Mud7 - there's also a Toyota 4Runner: Problems and Solutions discussion you can check out.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• mud7mud7 Posts: 6
    Thanks, Steve
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 384
    I'm in the same boat you are. I have the same tires & the steering is poor. For me, steering a straight line is harder than going around a turn. Prior posts quite awhile back were complimenting the Bridgestone tires. Anyway, I only have 6K so new tires are not in the near future for me.

I might try P265/70R17 tires (if they fit) when the time comes due to the greater selection.
  • kjack100kjack100 Posts: 133
    I posted this previously but the first year or so of '03 ownership, I used BP/Amoco high test almost exclusively. Frankly, the smell was pretty bad during moderate to heavy acceleration. Last November, they tore down the Amoco/BP dealership where I bought 90% of my gas. I switched to Chevron 92/93 and have had no smell since. The kids miss the "who cut the cheese?" jokes though.
  • mgabel2mgabel2 Posts: 37
    Ok, what's the skinny? Which gas is best for avoiding sulfur? "Any" well known brand? Those that advertise low sulfur (I only know of BP/Amoco), only high test? I had sort of bonded with BP/Amoco, even going out of my way to find it, and now I'm not sure.
  • lildevil23lildevil23 Posts: 19
    Finally got the vehicle after 2 weeks. Was made to wait as they said the SE was in demand too great to be fulfilled on an immediate basis. Titanium metallic/moonroof/DRL/Spoiler/Deflector/Toyota Viper Anti Theft alarm/Floor mats/cargo system/extended warranty for $34G's out the door. No lojack..thanks for that alfster1!!

I am in love with this car and the hoodscoop just gives the truck a definite presence on the road, unfortunately the truck is proudly driven and owned by my wife, anyways i am still more in love with the 92 Camry SE!!:)

As others noticed, the foot rest on the drivers side is congested, with my feet hitting the parking brake, either i need to get the seat pushed back or find a better way to get around the problem. Need to get used to the backup mirrors. Will keep ya all posted.
    Congrats on your new SE purchase :) It will bring you many years of happiness, I am sure. Enjoy paying $2.09/gal in the NY area though :( What dealer did you purchase it from? Toyota North?? I still have an 1990 Toyota Camry LE...It still runs like a champ.
    2.09 per gallon...and with the sulphur smell that all of ya keep talking about..hmmm..Is the fuel across the bridge(NJ) any good..cheaper too..Westchester Toyota was my dealer..pretty good place..but needed to be a lil difficult..otherwise great buying experience!!
    Well, there are some places in jersey that I have been to that sell regular unleaded for $1.79/gal. I think that the formulation for NY gas is different than NJ gas though due to NY's lower sulfur limits.

Are you experiencing sulfur smell? Did you happen to purchase a V6 or V8 powered 4Runner?
    No sulphur smell yet..just drove out the dealership the day before. Got the V6 SE
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Posts: 213
    From Sunoco: http://sunocoinc.com/market/transportation_fuels.htm#INTRODUCTION

Take a close look at tables 3 and 4, and look at how sulfur content tends vary inversely with octane rating. (Good luck trying to find from other oil companies this kind of on-line information and disclosure about sulfur content. For most, this sort of information seems to be a closely held secret.)
    Great :) I am sure that you will put on many miles over the weekend. Rain is in the forecast though :(

You've got to get XM Radio next. The XM Commander is great and complements the interior well.