Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• akgakg Posts: 85
    After many months of anticipation and reserve about whether to buy a 2001 or 2002, or to wait for the 2003, I made my decision to buy a new 2001. Got a better than great deal, got assistance from Cliffy the Great(I haven't forgotten the sweatshirt...running behind with Christmas and all...)and here's what I figured. I would rather buy the last year of a successful body style, 6+ years of working out the kinks, then buy the first year of a new one.

I think it's prudent to reason that if you get an amazing deal now on a 2002, keep it for a couple years, or until the new body style has a few destined 'bugs' worked out. You can always sell the old one without lots of $$$$ lost and upgrade to the newer model, which by the way won't be near the deal you can get now!

I've never seen a first year model of anything that the manufacturer hasn't had to modify right off the bat....End of sermon
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,674
    rljslick- No word on the size, other than it will be roomier...

akg- Normally I would agree with you, but we're talking about Toyota here, not Chrysler... ;)

Bob
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Glad you're still happy with your purchase. I'm glad I was able to help.
  • well, good for you akg! You made a decision and stuck by it! Bad thing about my situation is that I can't find anymore 2001s around SE Wisconsin. My wife and I drove all over and really didn't find much so I'm going to have to order one, and I don't think you can order a 2001 any more so I'm going to order a 2002. BTW, the 2002 will be the last year of this body style, at less I think it is. I'm holding to my conviction and waiting until the Milwaukee Auto Show in February. Boy, sure going to wait that long!!!
  • What causes the rear ends of the 90-95 4runners to sag? And does anyone know what could be done to fix it?
  • I am brand new to this msg board and am looking for some advice/direction/information on purchasing my first suv. I would be looking for a vehicle probably 6, 8 or perhaps 10 years old. I have been considering the 4runner (early 90's) but am unfamiliar with which particular years might be best (or what the differences are between the years). An acquaintence of mine has an 89 4runner with only 60,000 miles (100,000 km) and would like to sell it but I'm wondering if it might be just a few years too old (although the mileage is good). It is also a v4 (don't know if I should hold out for a v6). These are all questions I am looking for feedback on from experience people 'in the know'. Perhaps I should be considering a different vehicle altogether - maybe a pathfinder. Any comments that might help me zero in on a decision? Thanks.
  • akgakg Posts: 85
    Don't worry about not finding the 2001, you know that the incentives on the 2002 are going to be massive. Also, I don't care how awesome a product Toyota puts out.....there are always modifications to be made after a new vehicle's preview.

And I still maintain that the $$$$ to be saved on the last year of an excellent 6 year run will be worth it when you want to upgrade that style in a couple years. I got my 2001 for $26,700 pretty heavily equipt(about $5000 of the MSRP), and in two years it might be worth the same amount, or not far from it.
  • spfoteyspfotey Posts: 130
    does anybody know??

i am looking for an SUV that provides me with the 6th and 7th seat. The Sequoia is too large and the MDX just feels like it was built by a computer. I have an ML320 but want something else this time around...
  • I am getting ready to trade in my 2001 Subaru Forester for a 2002 4-Runner with 4WD. The reason I am trading is the chemical smell in the Forester caused by the cosmoline (spelling?) that they spray on the undercarriage before shipping the car over from Japan. Since this car is also made in Japan, I was just wondering if it also has a chemical smell since I assume they spray something on the undercarriage as well. I kept waiting for the smell in the Forester to go away, but after a year and 22,000 miles, I give up. And I sure would hate to buy another car with the same nose-burning horrible smell - which also gives anyone in the car a headache. Please let me know if you've noticed any smells in your 4-Runner. Thanks!
    Cosmoline can't be what you are smelling. Cosmoline is a grease that is applied to the exhaust system and some engine components for shipping, but it burns off after 40 to 200 miles. It is impossible that you would still be smelling it after 22K miles.

What is more likely is that the dealership applied an undercoating to the car and placed it too close to the muffler or exhaust pipe. Undercoating is a heavy black substance that looks like tar.

Toyotas do come with some undercoating in the wheel wells, but it is a different type. It is more like a hard plastic and is not placed anywhere where it can burn.

FYI, cosmoline is the same stuff that the military used in WWII to ship M1 rifles to the troops.
  • Thanks for the response. I feel the same as you in that I don't understand why the smell is still there after all this time - although when I brought it up months ago over on the Subaru Forester board other owners knew exactly what I was talking about. They called it the Subaru new car stench - and one described it as sitting in the middle of a bottle of super glue. Doesn't matter now - we bought the 4-Runner - I just hope the smell doesn't pop up in this one as well. Love the car!
  • I sure hope you are right, I drove around again today and didsn't see many on the lots! I've been wondering about incentives for the 2002, I'm going to miss out on the Toyotatron 2002 by a few weeks and wondering if they will do anything about the 2002s models. I've been reading that the forecast for the 2002 model year will also be very poor.
  • I have the same situation like you.
    Did you get your 4 Runner yet? The dealer will charge me $500.00 over the invoice and 0% for 36 months
  • You might want to consider the V6 engine. They provide better torque to get the vehicle moving. Especially when you have a couple of people in it or loading it up for a road trip or something. Both engines a very reliable. I think the '89 V6 had 145 hp. They increased it to 150 hp in '90 with 180 lb-ft of torque & that engine remained in the 4runner until the '95 redesign. Those have around 183 hp in them with 217 lb-ft of torque. I'm not sure if the earlier models had airbags or not. Maybe someone else may know. There were quite a few changes in the '95 to current model 4runners. They engine changed to a double overhead cam design. They are a little smoother & more powerful. The front suspension changed from A-Arms to Double Wishbones. Better control with coil-over shockes. Distributor-less ignition & I think the speed-sensing steering. I'm not sure when the latter was added.

Hope this helps.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,674
    on the new Lexus GX 470, which I suspect is the Lexus version of the '03 4Runner. I spoke to a Toyota rep the other day at the Washington DC Auto Show, and he mentioned that the new 4Runner would have the V8 as an option.

Bob

http://www.lexus.com/about/news/popups/pr_2001/pr_2001_12_17.html
  • I have a 2001 SR5 4Runner w/ moonroof. I have been starting to hear noises coming from the rear of the vehicle. At first, I thought it was the seatbelt latch slapping against the plastic body molding, but after securing the latch, the noise continues. Passengers have indicated that the noise seems to be coming from the headliner near the passenger side rear seat. The noise is mostly present on rougher road surfaces, and sounds like something is loose in the headliner. (maybe something in the moonroof assembly or the seatbelt assembly?) I have owned this vehicle for just over a year and have about 28K miles.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it common for the 4Runner to start developing rattles like this with so few miles? Would something like this be covered by the factory warantee?

I will be taking the vehicle in for a service in a couple of weeks and intend to have the dealer's service dept. look into the problem, but if anyone has any information, I would appreciate having information before going to the dealer.

Thanks,
    I don't know about your region, but here in the Central Atlantic Region, all incentives are for both 2001 and 2002 Runners. They expire on Jan 2.
  • Same here in the Midwest Cliffy!
  • We went to the Phoenix autoshow yesterday and a Toyota salesman told me that the 2003 4Runner should be in the show room in March.

Does anyone have any more information on the '03 besides V8 and third seat? The salesman said the '03 will be a total redesign.

I'm 6'2'' and would love to get a 4Runner except my line of sight is directly into the top of the windshield. A little more headroom, maybe 2 inches, would be nice. It's not like I'm a giant.

I considered the Sequoia, but just don't want to clean that much space in the garage.

p.s. Almost bought the 2002 Sequoia yesterday on the way home from the autoshow. The fleet manager agreed to 500.00 over invoice and we were prepared to write the check.

The salesman started to play that back and forth to the manager B.S. and our kids (4 yrs. and 3 yrs.) became too restless - so we left.

Don't you love care salesman? The whole car dealer, car salesman process makes me sick!
  • rkay1rkay1 Posts: 1
    Everytime I fill up, I've noticed that I can add an additional 3 gallons to my tank after the gas station fill nozzle initially clicks off. It's difficult to fill these last 3 gallons, as the tank only accepts 0.1 gallons at time from this point. Has anyone out there had any similar experiences?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Try reducing the flow rate from the nozzle when the tank is close to being full.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • jf01jf01 Posts: 88
    What year is your 4Runner? I think everybody who has a 99+ 4Runner has the same problem. The light comes on too early. Toyota has a TSB for it. It took 3 tries for my Toyota dealer to really fix the problem though. They finally replaced the sender unit in my dash, which finally fixed the problem. The other times they tried to recalibrate my sensor. They also warned me about overfilling the gas tank, telling me it could permanently damage my fuel system through some sort of saturation.
  • llslicellslice Posts: 15
    I have an 01 and have the same rattle you're talking about (12k miles)coming from the headliner just above the driverside rear passenger seat.I open and close the moonroof to jam whatever molding is rattling but comes back once I hit rough roads.I plan to take it to the dealer soon also.
  • I have 02 with 2K miles. I had this noise 3 or 4 times in city and highway situations. There were no passengers with me to ping point the source exactly but it sounds as it comes from rear driver's side door area. Like something is loose or (don't smile) ... somebody is knocking on the door from outside. I can go days without hearing it, but then it appears again. And, as I said, first time I've experienced it, I was on a highway.
    If you have any results after taking your track to the dealer, let us know.
    Go easy on the salesman bashing. I realize the bad ones still exist, but there are those of us who don't deserve the bad reputation.
  • jynewfjynewf Posts: 26
    Below is a straight cut & paste from dbabble's post (#138). You can also check post #45 and posts in between regarding the fuel gauge issue. My 2000 4runner also had the same problem; after they fixed it as per the TSB below, I haven't had a problem since.

"The website to see customer complaints regarding the 2000 4Runner at NHTSA is: http://www.nhtsa.org/cars/problems/complain/compmmy5.cfm

and for services bulletins, the web address is:

http://www.nhtsa.org/cars/problems/tsb/Servicemmy5.cfm

Below is the text for the latter, regarding the fuel gage:

Service Bulletin Number: EL01099

Bulletin Sequence Number: 100

Date of Bulletin: 9912

NHTSA Item Number: SB610059

Make: TOYOTA TRUCK

Model: 4 RUNNER

Year: 2000

Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:INSTRUMENT PANEL:GAUGE:INDICATOR:GAS

Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING FUEL GAUGE HORIZONTAL CALIBRATION PROCEDURE. *TT

As has been posted previously (by Cliffy1??) spending several minutes filling the tank to the brim may screw up the vapor recovery system. See my (dbabble's) previous posting (#114) for my experience in getting it fixed. Since the repair/replacement, if it gets down to "empty" and I fill it, it takes on over 16 gallons before the pump clicks off. I put the nozzle on the middle notch when I fill it, so the pump runs slightly slower, but otherwise do nothing special. Hope this helps."

• Like many of you, I love 4 runer. I have my 98 4-runer SR5 2WD. However, there are two questions some of you may be able to help me or give me the advices.

1. The brake would shudder at highway speed. Specially driving downhill when the brake is pressed, the whole truck will vibrating.

When I brought the truck to the Dealer, Toyota service manager said I need some brake adjustment. After the dealer adjusted, it still the same. When I brought it back, they said I need rotate the tires. After rotating the tires, the problem still existing.

2. When the engine is cold in the morning, shifting from "R" to "D" after backing up the truck from garage to street, the transmission jerky and make "cliking" sound. Toyota service manager also said this is normal for the truck.

I used to drive camry and accord and ever have such exprience.

Can anyone tell me those two things are normal for the 4-runer or not?
  • Neither of these are normal. The brake shuddering is most likely due to brake rotors that need to be turned. This is NOT a big deal and it should not cost you that much. As for the transmission issues, it could be something as simple as low transmission fluid, or it could be something more serious....

It sounds like the dealer you took the 4runner to is either 1) incompetent or 2) lazy. Either option is bad and I would suggest you go to another dealer or to a mechanic that you trust.
  • On my 01 4Runner, when I have the vents set to split the air between the floor and the dash, I find that there is a noticable temperature difference between the two dash vents on the driver's side and the two dash vents on the passenger side. This only occurs when I have the temperature gauge set around the 12:00 position. The passenger side vents are noticably cooler. If someone could check their 01 4Runner to see if this is a problem I'd appreciate it.

By the way, I drove from FL to VA yesterday on a non stop (other than for gas) trip through the big ice and snow storm we just had. I never saw asphalt between Savannah, GA and Fredericksburg, VA (500+ mi). The stability control and trac control features were incredible. I saw a lot of Explorers and Chevrolets (Tahoes and Suburbans) stuck along the road, not one 4Runner.
  • any suggestions for aftermarket running boards and roof rack for a 02? Snow collects on the boards, correct?

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance.