Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• kullenbergkullenberg Posts: 283
    Check with the RV dealer about the weight of the trailer, figure your load, and do the math for altitude. I just came thru there in the same vehicle, on I-70 eastbound to Denver, and it pulled the mountains like a champ (not towing anything). I have found that I get slightly better mileage with premium fuel, although the octane requirment goes down with altitude, so it's probably a waste of money, up high.
    Cheers
    Pat
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Posts: 213
    Sounds like you may be cutting it close in terms of gross towing weight. (My '03, V8 4Runner Ltd. has a class III/IV hitch in place, but I've not yet used it.) At any rate, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that the newer 4Runners (even those equipped with class III/IV trailer hitches) do not have any type of oil intercooler(s) installed as part of a towing package(?).
  • ohtomaohtoma Posts: 28
    Just announced $750 cash back on 4R in the northeast -- I guess procrastination does pay off!
  • I have a 2WD V8... I love it. Tons of torque and can pass anything quickly and easily. I get 17.5mpg in towm, and 20mpg on the highway; not towing anything.

I think both the V6 and V8 will get you where you want to go, and do it well, but you might check out the Consumer Reports reviews on them too help in your decision as well.
  • yobow1yobow1 Posts: 29
    Does anyone know if the new 4.0L engine for the 4Runner is the same basic block as the previous 3.4L, but maybe bored and stoked? Also, other than some noise coming from the exhaust manifold, has any problems been worked out with the V6 4.0L? Thanks.

Dave
  • peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    I remember reading Toyota built a brand new all aluminum 4.0 truck engine. The 3.4 V6 has a cast iron block, timing belt and no variable timing. Completely different animal.
  • biglatkabiglatka Posts: 78
    I agree, that's what I read too. I also remember reading that the 4.0L V6 was developed for and first used on the Toyota "Prado".
  • biglatkabiglatka Posts: 78
    I believe the problems inherent to the V6 have been worked out (fuel in 2003 and Crankshaft pulley in 2004). There are other problems (TSB) pertaining to both the V8 and V6 such as: sulfur odor from exhaust, sunroof rattling problems, rear armrest, and front seat (rocking) problems.

If you're not frequently towing heavy loads (i.e. 5000+ lbs.) I would get the V6. You will get more horsepower (245 vs. 235 in V8), better gas mileage, 125 lbs less engine weight, $1300 cheaper, and the ability to ride around in 2WD with full time 4WD capability when needed.

On the other side of the coin, the V8 is an older bullet proof engine, with more torque (320 lb-ft vs. 283 lb-ft. in V6), with a new 5 speed automatic, that can tow 7000 lbs. In any event I'd wait for the 2005 models to see what (if) improvements they've made in both the V6 (5 speed tranny) and V8 (VVT-i).
  • is a 2004 Limited with the V8. The engine runs smooth as melted butter. I have the 5 speed automatic trans. which shifts as smooth as the engine runs. I am very happy with the V8 and would recommend it to everyone, especially in the light of some of the V6 prolems being mentioned here. Hope this helps someone decide who is in the market now. I have had my vehicle since mid February. I have had no problems with it other than the exhaust which I recently got corrected under the new TSB for the V8 vehicles.
  • yobow1yobow1 Posts: 29
    Thanks for the info guys...that's what I was looking for.
  • stove1stove1 Posts: 53
    When do you all do your first oil change on the V8. I'm thinking doing it early like 3000.
  • hank14hank14 Posts: 133
    What do you do with a 96 4runner Limited with the ignition key stuck in the ignition? My father in law has been driving his for about 3 years like this. He just uses another key to lock and unlock it manually from the outside. It still starts and runs just fine. I think it had a remote, which is not working, since the vehicle unlocks itself when it is used.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Posts: 410
    I had the key stick in the ignition of my other car - except the engine was running and the key wouldn't even turn. The dealer had to take the ignition out of the steering column (or dash) and send it off to the factory for repair. This was covered under warranty so I don't know how much it cost, but the car was out of service for 4 work days.
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    A professional locksmith can remove the key. What a locksmith will have is a piece of piano wire about 8 inches long, with a tiny hook bent in the end. He will insert the piano wire above the key with the hook in the flat position. At the end of the keyway, he will turn the hook to engage the end of the key and pull the broken key out.
       I used to fund some locksmiths. They showed me a few tricks.
    I have my own piece of piano wire.
  • hank14hank14 Posts: 133
    Thanks Pat84. I'll give it a try.
  • robsterrobster Posts: 12
    Just test drove an SR5 V8 4x4. Looked under the hood and couldn't locate the transmission fluid dip stick. Sales person couldn't figure it out either. We finally got someone from the service area to look at it and they said that the earlier V8s had a dip stick, but Toyota has now stopped making the V8s with dip sticks. He thought that there was now a plug somewhere on the transmission that requires getting under the vehicle in order to check the transmission fluid. Anyone out there know anything about this?
  • robsterrobster Posts: 12
    Does anyone know of any companies out there that sell after market tonneau covers for a 2004 4Runner?
  • slandyslandy Posts: 46
    Yes the technician is correct. There is no dip stick on the 5speed tranny. It is life long fluid.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Posts: 213
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the new 4Runner's maintenance schedule includes changing the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. According to my dealer, this involves simply draining the fluid by gravity (no "flushing"!) followed by refilling with fresh transmission fluid.
  • whodatwhodat Posts: 2
    Hi everybody,

Looking two buy a new 2004, or 2005 4Runner. I'm hoping you folks will lend a hand with a couple of questions, and add any tips that you may have concerning the purchase.

First, my intent is to purchase the V6 4WD SR5 or Sport model. The V6 should save me 3 or 4 miles per gallon over my current F150 4WD pickup. However, it seems that there is some question to the grade of gasoline that can be used. The salesman I've talked to assures me that it will run fine on regular unleaded (87 octane). From what I've read in these forums, many people are running 89, or 91 octane.

So, my questions........ will the 4Runner run fine on 87 octane? Are most of you using regular gas?

Next, I guess some other things I should check, or be aware of are the following:

Sulfur smell - Is this generally noticeable at first, or does it develop over time?

V6 engine making a whirling sound - noticeable with windows up?

Leak around the crankshaft pully.

Fuel delivery problem - sound like this one is taken care of?

Rocking seats?

Anyhow, does that pretty much sum it up? Anything else of major concern? Anything else to listen for/look for? Any other tips?

Obviously, I'm sure Toyota is taking/taken care of some of those issues in their current production........ still, any tips/pointers would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    Has anybody figured out why the sport model uses a different hitch system? My sport hitch is totally different from any other model. It looks so much beefier. If anybody has an 04 sport with the factory hitch, look around and you will see what I mean.
    No, The manual does not require the change at 30K, it does specify the front and rear diff fluids though. But only under severe conditions. The 5speed tranny fluid is designed for the life of the tranny. However I will be replacing mine at 60K. I will do an oil analysis test on it at 30k miles.
  • Well I have a 2004 V8, but here is my experience for some of your questions. I run my vehicle on regular gas and have had no problems with it at all. Regarding the sulfur smell, I recently had my vehicle serviced under a new TSB. It appears to be fine now. I did have some smell before the fix tho. It is my understanding that vehicles produced currently have been fixed regarding the sulfur smell. In other words, the catalytic converter and PCM coding has been updated on the newer versions being produced today so that sulfur smell shouldn't even be an issue anymore. Hope this helps some.
  • stove1stove1 Posts: 53
    You could get under your V and tell us if the cat is near the filter, otherwise your reponse is useless also I don't have my V anymore so I can't do it .

Towing hitch, the V6 and V8 models use different hitch, 5000 # vs 7000 # equalizing .
  • nick4597nick4597 Posts: 50
    Anyone out there who self-installed leather on their 03-04 4runner? I would just like to see how hard it was and how long it took.... email me at nick4597@yahoo.com -

www.autoleatherinc.com sells a kit for $385, and they are extremely highly rated by customers who have purchased and installed their own. Any responses would be much appreciated. Before I go ahead and buy I want to know what im getting myself into.
  • whodatwhodat Posts: 2
    md4runnerman,

That does help some.......... thanks!
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Posts: 378
    regular octane works just fine.

seats don't rock either.
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    I run 87 in my 03 Sport V-8, with no problems. My seat doesn't rock either.
     I do have a transmission oil dipstick in my highly prized, extremely rare and valuable, much sought by collectors, Titanium Silver, genuine gray plastic clad 2003 Sport V-8. ;-)
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Posts: 150
    rare but not alone :-)
    Then that means you do dont have the newer type fluid. I think. Which means dont forget to change it.