Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    1. Unsprung weight -- think of this as everything below the springs, i.e., the mass that must be controlled by the springs and shocks. The heavier the unsprung mass, the harder it is for the springs and shocks to control it, the worse the ride and handling.

2. Agreed, unibody and monocoque are the same.

3. For towing, I lean prefer body and frame. I don't think independent rear suspension versus solid rear axle make any significant difference towing. However, most body and frame trucks also have a solid rear axle.

4. Rack and pinion is simply better than recirculating ball. Better feel, better tracking.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    Add one other thing with the R&P vs. recirculating ball. The recirc ball setup is a much heavier duty system. Usually used for larger trucks, semi's, etc. Not necessary with power assisted steering in modern cars.

Ken
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    if you do a lot of offroad work, you will wear out your R&P steering a lot faster than your recirc ball, because R&P is designed to be more precise and communicative. Who needs MORE communication and precision offroad? The shift to R&P steering in SUVs in the last decade merely marks the attitude of the automakers that trucks need to behave better on road to please consumers.

Also, once the rack goes, repairs to R&P steering become VERY expensive. Of course, this happens late in the life of the vehicle, so not everyone will care.

Funny sidenote: was reading the 50-year retrospective in C&D from last month, and they had a list of the fastest and slowest vehicles they had tested for every year back a good ways. What did I see listed for 1990, but my truck! Yes, the 4Runner SR5 V-6 was the slowest vehicle to 60 mph that C&D tested in 1990, with a time of 15.7 seconds. LOL

I thought it wasn't so bad, considering that 12 years later, the 2002 Prius was the slowest with a time of 13+ seconds. Besides, I know my truck is slow. :-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

I suspect very few SUV owners will go offroad enough to wear out their rack and pinion steering.

My 2003 4Runner does 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds. That's about as fast as my first car -- a 1978 Trans Am with a 6.6 and 4-speed. And the 4Runner gets better mileage as well.
  • kjack100kjack100 Posts: 133
    Ran across this link for the minor redesign of the '06 HiLux Surf. I imagine the changes for the 4Runner will be identical. A bit disappointed in the few color choice changes, as well as retaining the quirky HVAC controls, among other things. Click on the vertically stacked gray boxes.

">link titlehttp://toyota.jp/hiluxsurf/index.html
  • lazzarichlazzarich Posts: 37
    Guys:

Thanks for the great responses. I really appreceate it and got some answers that have puzzled me for years.

David
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    David,

You're welcome and I'm glad it was informative.

Ken
  • gregp3gregp3 Posts: 1
    Help. Can anything tell me where I can add transmission fluid to the 05 4 runner? I recently bought the truck and I was changing the oil for the first time and I accidently opened the transmission fluid case. Now, I'm having trouble locating how to refill?
    Thanks
  • ajivoinajivoin Posts: 7
    Here are some other links:

Body color:
    link title

Interior:
    link title

Even if you can't read Japanese all you have to do is move your pointer
    over a link and look at the description in the bottom left status bar of
    your browser window. The name of the html file will give a clue what
    feature the link is for.

What I like about the 'updated' design is the curved fender flares. The
    flat surfaced ones on the 2003-2005 4Runners are extremely ugly.
    The round surface of the tire totally clashes with the flat surface on the
    fender flare of the current models.
  • ajivoinajivoin Posts: 7
    Thanks for posting this info! Just what I've been searching for.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,141
    Thanks......it looks like the interior is the same as what's in production on the current model.
  • thepdmmthepdmm Posts: 82
    what is the fuel requirements on a 2004 SR5 (V-6), or at least what the manual says?

thanks
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    Yes, I was just pointing out that they chose to make a component LESS durable to enhance on-road dynamics.

Offroaders know which trucks they like. Since the 2003 makeover, 4Runner has dropped off that list.

I don't really get the speed race among SUVs. These are high, heavy vehicles which are inherently less safe at high speeds than low-slung, sporty cars like that Trans Am you mentioned. My truck is strong in low gears and will climb almost anything. It doesn't matter to me that I can't race Corvettes at stoplights in it.

What does strike me about the current 4Runner is that 15 years later, it is rated exactly the same as mine was for fuel economy (15/19).

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,670
    I believe most of the "performance cars" have rack and pinion steering, Lexus GS, BMW, MBenz, Infiniti, etc...I have not checked each brand, but hi-perf cars do not usually use recirculating ball, IMO...
  • lazzarichlazzarich Posts: 37
    Marsha:

My 2000 BMW 540 has Recirc ball and apparently that was due to space constraints. The 2003 BMW has R & P and is better according to some testers. I really enjoy the steering feel on my 2005 4Runner and its turning circle. In fact the turning circle is a great selling point to me although I have also noticed the "clunk" at full right hand lock. My wifes 2004 Sienna is also great.
  • gf4runnergf4runner Posts: 2
    Hi, all

My girlfriend has a 1994 4Runner. She is experiencing the following problem:
    Occaisionally, a clunk is heard from underneath the truck towards the front. The clunk is followed by very hard shuddering, the entire truck lurches loud and hard. It feels sort of like something is locking up and the truck becomes difficult to drive. If she switches to 4-wheel drive, the problem goes away (it never happens in 4Wheel drive). We thought it was the ABS, so we disconnected that, but no luck.

Any ideas would be most helpful.
  • biglatkabiglatka Posts: 78
    My guess is the automatic locking hubs. In any event, I'd check this out and not drive the truck until then.
  • gf4runnergf4runner Posts: 2
    Thank you!

WIll look into it.

Some of the research I did said that the 85-89 locking hubs were problematic. Is this also true of the later models, i.e. the '94?

Thanks again.
  • biglatkabiglatka Posts: 78
    I have no info about the 94 model, but you're right about the 85-89. I have an 88 4Runner and had to replace the automatics with manual hubs. The 86 I owned before that also had automatic hub problems.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,141
    Regular fuel is what the owner's manual says the V6 requires. They do have a little caveat that says burning premium yields better performance, however.

I just run regular. Get about 19-20 MPG all city driving and feel I've got plenty of power.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Posts: 130
    On the 05 4Runner brochure and manual it states that there is a taillamp bulb failure warning light although I have not seen this in the dash cluster warning lights or when I turn on the ignition. Has anyone seen this?
  • If this is posted in the wrong forum, please let me know and I'll go there.....
    Have an '02 Passat wagon that is GREAT. Also have an F150 and my wife has a '98 VW Cabrio. Going to replace Passat as my work vehicle (25k miles a year) and need "another" vehicle that can tow up to 5000. I really like the 4Runner fit, finish, handling, and the 6 is plenty of power for me. I am not lead foot......what is or where can I find what most people are getting on the '05's for "combined" driving. I'll be going from 93 Octane to 87 so there is a bit of a savings but the mpg will certainly be less. Thanks for your help. Oh, V6 4x4 Sport.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    While you're waiting for a reply here you may also want to look at SUV gas mileage - Feel free to participate.

tidester, host
  • So this is weird. I was doing a search for any information on the 2006 and came around an article about changes being made. It talked about a new grille, new rear bumper as well as some other changes. It even indicated a center console change to accomodate portable music players like an iPod. So I opened up these forums looking to post a link for you guys, but when I did the same search, the article was nowhere to be found. But, if this article is in fact true, there will be significant changes to the '06, inside and out.
    Thanks for posting that article. I was not expecting changes that extensive.
  • ciparisciparis Posts: 1
    Oh goodness, that figures. The list of improvements precisely mirrors the list of things I wasn't happy with in my '05 Limited V8 4WD:
    - memory seats (and how about height adjustable passenger seat, please)
    - easy ipod integration
    - wind noise

I've got 2500 miles on mine and I'm already envious :) here's hoping the new style is ugly! /grin
  • I'm hoping the new style is ultra sick. I can't wait to purchase the '06. I'm buying it in December. If anyone finds new information..keep it coming.
  • moultonmoulton Posts: 1
    This warning light applies only to Canadian vehicles.

Jim