Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• jeffer3jeffer3 Posts: 22
    While I don't completely understand the relationship between horsepower and torque I do understand that more torque is better for pulling more load or pulling yourself out of a ditch. But from what I can see the new Camry engine has 268hp and 248 ft-lbs of torque. I'll bet that's way more than the earlier 4runners had. The current 4runner V6 has 236hp and 266 ft-lbs of torque. Now to me the difference between 248 and 266 doesn't seem like all that much.
    And in this day and age with global warming, green-house gases, wars and being beholding to foreign countries for our very livelyhood, and prices of gas in general, if you could squeeze a few more mpg's from an engine it seems it would be worth it.
    The Camry engine (in the Camry) is rated at 22/31 mpg's which I'm sure would reduce somewhat. But if you could put that engine or a similar one in the 4R and get even 19/25 I think that would be huge. I don't really need a mondo hauling vehicle. Just something to get me through a few feet of snow, or a little off road and carry all my camping gear, kayaks and bikes.
    Anyway thanks for the thoughtful replies.
    Jeffer3
  • biglatkabiglatka Posts: 78
    Jeffer3,
    The V6 4Runner is probably close to 1000lbs heavier than the Camry, it is 4WD (I know there is a 2WD model but you talked about snow and off road), and most importantly it has the aerodynamic shape of a brick on 4 wheels :D. Even if you don't tow, the 4Runner has to come with the ability to tow (5000 lbs for the V6 - 7000 lbs for the V8) because many do tow with their Runner. The rpm range where torque peaks is probably lower with the 4Runner engines (very important when under load) as opposed to the Camry's high revving engine. There are many factors that go into fuel mileage, including engine displacement. I'm sure Toyota designed the engines that go into 4Runners as the best compromise of fuel economy balanced off against the demands of a 4WD truck with great off road capability and sheer pulling power.
  • jeffer3jeffer3 Posts: 22
    biglatka- you make a lot of sense, thanks for helping me understand this better. I got a chuckle from your statement -

"and most importantly it has the aerodynamic shape of a brick", :)
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Posts: 130
    I filled up 2 days ago with 413.0 miles on my tank and filled up with 18.33 gallons of 85 octane from the same pump at the same gas station that I go to every week. That equates to 22.53 mpg. The computer stated 24.3 mpg avg. This is in line with what I typically get in my weekly commute. Again, this is with the V6 4X4. Even though the computer over-estimates, I still find it to be a good gauge of my mpg and I can still estimate if I'm in the 22 range, or 21 range, etc.
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Posts: 189
    I get 16-17mpg in easy city driving and 20-21mpg on the freeway at a steady 65-75mph. This is with full time 4WD and the V8. I have never used 87 octane, always using 89 or 93.

The onboard computer is exactly 3mpg optimistic.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    "20-21mpg on the freeway at a steady 65-75mph. This is with full time 4WD and the V8."

That's fantastic! Your getting 1mpg more than the EPA RATED mpg highway at 21! Even with the V8 and lugging around the extra running gear for the 4WD! Going faster than 65mph!

(WOW - that TAIL WIND MUST REALLY BE BLOWING!!)
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    "And in this day and age with global warming, green-house gases, wars and being beholding to foreign countries for our very livelyhood, and prices of gas in general, if you could squeeze a few more mpg's from an engine it seems it would be worth it."

Which is exactly why we may see a diesel engine -- it will get 30% greater mileage than a similar power gas engine.

Btw, peak torque values are not everything. What's most important is the torque curve. I'm willing to bet that at low RPM the 4.0 V6 has more torque than the Camry motor.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 383
    Since putting Revo's on my 2003 V6 4Runner, I can't do any better than 16.6MPG in mixed driving, and I have to run 89 octane or higher as mine pings on 87 octane. Honestly though, the MPG, which is very acceptable, doesn't bother me as much as the road noise and choppy ride with the base SR5 suspension, neither of which improved when I got rid of my Dunlop's.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    "doesn't bother me as much as the road noise and choppy ride with the base SR5 suspension, neither of which improved when I got rid of my Dunlop's."

The only thing that will help the ride (other than changing suspension, is a passenger car tire. I know in the stock size there are not any (passenger) tires for the 4Runner. The Revos, while an excellent tire, will not help the ride.
  • I noticed today when washing my 2006 4Runner that it had louvers exposing the wire on the fog lamps and I could see the ground through my fender well. What on earth is the purpose of these louvers? What are the engineers thinking on this design?
  • navguynavguy Posts: 61
    06MY & 07MY 4Runner with factory navigation includes a 4-disc CD changer that can play MP3 or WMA encoded CDRs. Plus you can initiate a call via an approved Bluetooth cell phone from the steering wheel! Even if you cell phone is in your purse or gym bag you can receive or dial a call with both hands on the steering wheel!
  • m3fanaticm3fanatic Posts: 1
    gotta love the NAV :)
  • Can anyone tell me the "Downshift Lockout Speeds" (speed above which the transmission will not downshift into the particular gear) for 1st and 2nd gear in the 2006 4Runner?

This is not the same as the maximum speed in gear. It is always lower, but different Transmissions set different limits. Does anyone know the values for the 2006 4Runner?

TIA.
  • 2006 Limited 4WD V8

I'm wondering why the owners manual recommends keeping the spare tire only on the right side of the vehicle with each rotation? I'm used to the "full" 5 tire rotation with all previous vehicles.

Thanks!
  • kjack100kjack100 Posts: 133
    I wouldn't use the spare at all in a tire rotation. I'd only swap out the fronts with the backs, keeping them on the same side. You're going to need four new tires at some point anyway.
  • I own a 2003 V8 limited 4runner. My first problem was getting front rotors. When my parts place asked what wheels I had I told him I have 17" wheels. He proceeded to give me rotors that were 13.25" diameter. The ones I have are 12.6". Supposedly these are for a 4runner with 16" wheels. We finally figured that out, but has anybody had the same problem? Second, my truck has only 46,000 miles on it but has seemed to have ruined the drivers side front wheel bearing. Seems a little premature. The factory warranty is finished, is there any chance in hell to get them to warranty this. To be honest, its a shame for a 41,000 dollar truck to have this problem. I do tow a boat, but I have only done it 3 times. It has a combined weight of about 4700 pounds. Thanks
  • dzubadzuba Posts: 159
    Looking at an 06 ($2500.00) under invoice - Limited loaded. I have heard the V6 is a dog..............true?

I'd rather the V6 with the price of gas, but need some advice/help?

No - I will never tow with this ride.
    Comments on the V6 vs. the V8 - I do a lot of highway driving!!
  • I have heard the V8 and V6 get similar mileage.

I have the V8. In strictly city driving, suburban hills, NYC traffic, averaging about 30 MPH I get about 17MPG on regular gas. On a recent long highway trip I got 20.8 MPG averaging about 58 MPH. Both numbers are according to the trip computer which is about 5% optimistic. The V8 also has great passing power.
  • I have the V6. It's no dog.
  • I have the V6 and it has plenty of power. I continue to be impressed with the acceleration. On my last fill up I got 22.5 mpg (actual, not computer) in mixed driving. I end up getting less mpg with 100% highway because I set the cruise at 80 so mileage isn't as great at those speeds. Usually around 20 - 21 mpg on the highway at that speed.
  • Well I understand in 2008 the 4Runner is getting a redesign so it will be interesting to see if they will put a hybrid in the 4Runner, which I heard was a rumor (I also would like to see it a little bigger but I guess that remains to be seen). I have a 2004 v8 which gets about 18.1 mpg but I would trade it in a heartbeat for a 4Runner with a hybrid :)
  • Do you have 4WD or 2WD? I recently bought a new 2006 4 WD and wanted 16" wheels. The standard 4Runner 16" wheels won't fit due to interference with the calipers so I finally got some wheels that come on a Tacoma. This may give you a clue to the problem.
  • I've finally decided on the 4runner sr5. I want the option package with the airbags, but it comes standard with the spoiler. I really think they are ugly and take away from the lines of the model. Does anyone know if they can remove these without damaging the car?
  • I've never seen a 4Runner here in California or anywhere else without a spoiler. I've never seen a Sport or Limited model without a sunroof. You'll get used to it. The thing I've found annoying is the running boards, so I removed them. Enjoy your 4Runner, and don't let the spoiler detract from your buying one.
  • Actually mine came without it, although mine was an SR5 so maybe that explains it. Then now that i want one, its $400 to put one on, so i decided to leave it as it is. Maybe when they bring out the new redesigned '08 Sequoia, i'll be sure to get one with a spoiler...:)
  • I feel like a dweeb asking this, but my 98 4Runner's dash lights suddenly don't work and I can't figure it out. I can't find a fuse for the lights, and I have not determined that the dimmer switch is bad. The other lights (ie, high beam, turn signal, etc.) still work, but no back lighting on the dash. Consequently, driving at night is a bummer as I can't see the speedo and such. Does anyone know what to do? :confuse:
    Thanks,
    Charlie
  • I agree about the look of the spoiler. I've never liked it either. Luckily, the 2006 standard option packages sold here in Colorado do not have a spoiler on the SR5 models. I was able to get my new Salsa Red SR5 with a nice option package (sunroof, CD changer, side airbags, etc.) without a spoiler. I've been very happy with it.

You could always buy yours in Colorado!
  • Interesting that you say that since I'm planning on moving to Colorado within the next year. Was hoping to buy the car sooner, though.
  • does any body know how to remove the headlights on a 2004 4runner? I tried doing so myself but it appears that there is screw on the bottom that i can get too. I'm not sure if I'd have to remove the bumber as well. thanks
  • seraanseraan Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2004 SR5 with 13k on it. It will go out of warranty at the end of this year. I would like to buy a platinum extended warranty. Anybody can tell me where can I get a good price on it? Thanks!