Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

1361362363364365367»

Comments

• You might also try pulling out the pump nozzle a bit while fueling. Instead of putting the nozzle all the way in to the tank, only put it in an inch or two. That has helped for me. Also, pumping on a slower speed.
  • bandit10bandit10 Posts: 27
    I just read your experience on how you fuel your car. Exactly what does it do by not putting the nozzle all the way in, and pumping at a lower rate of speed.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 384
    Anyone besides me have lifter noise? It's annoying, but according to the dealer it doesn't affect the performance of the vehicle. No engine codes, idle steady, doesn't burn oil, but it sounds like a miss. Needless to say I'll be unloading my 4Runner when the x-warranty expires.
  • oclocl Posts: 1
    Hi!
    I am from Brazil.
    I would like to now if is possible to import to Brazil from USA 3 tires Bridgestone DUELER H/T 689. i just got the that price is $120,00 . I need 3 tires.
    Here in Brazil these kind of tires are so expensive.
    Including all tax do you now if is possible import.
    Wait for your answer.
    Thanks
    Oswaldo
  • jspagna1jspagna1 Posts: 34
    Does anyone know if a center console from a 2000 T4R will fit in a 1997 T4R without being a PIA? Thanks for the help.
  • Anyone know if replacing od solinoid a TPS could stop constant shuddering and vibration on shift into overdrive..... shifts well up through gears untill going into OD
  • I own a 1994 4runner and when I drive it for about an hour, it gets very hot in the cabin. I recently changed the transmission oil in it and the filter also. Is there by any chance some sort of protection between the transmission and the body of the truck? what can cause this heat?

Thanks.

Big John
    Houston Texas.
  • reb66reb66 Posts: 2
    Yesterday my knee hit the 4WD button and I have not been able to get my 4Runner out of it since. I have stopped, shifted, reversed, done everything I can think of. The light is flashing.... four green wheels and the orange center circle. So I took it to the dealer. She was there for 4 hours and then they gave her back to me still in 4WD with the light flashing. They don't know what it is or why it is. They could not disengage the 4WD. Has this happened to anyone? The dealer can see me again on Tuesday (it is Thursday now) but I am not sure I trust them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • rentschlrentschl Posts: 69
    Folks,

I noticed that Edmunds shows the 2009 4Runner 4.7L V8 as 260 HP. But the 2009 Sequia 4.7L V8 as 310 HP.

Does anyone know:
    -why the 4Runner didn't get teh 310 HP version also?
    -what is the actual difference (maybe just the control chip programming?)?

For me there's no such thing as too much power and I find it disappointing that they didn't give the 4Runner the 310 HP version also.

What do others think?
  • Okay, so it's five years after the posting about the cracked windshield. I have an 03 Sport Ed. Your description of the crack in your windshield describes mine perfectly. I think I heard the initial pop, then a couple days later it came up, eventually took a left, went over horizontal about 10 inches, and has stayed that way for about a month.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    "I noticed that Edmunds shows the 2009 4Runner 4.7L V8 as 260 HP. But the 2009 Sequia 4.7L V8 as 310 HP. "
    That's a different (and newer) engine. The 2009 Sequoia has a 4.6l, not a 4.7l V8.

The 4Runner V8 was selling poorly and was in the last year of its run before the next generation, so I'm sure that Toyota felt it was not worth the money to spend on the engineering. The 2010, 5th generation 4Runner will not have a V8 option.
  • My 03 V8 4Runner has a similar problem except with getting in/out of locking the center differential. It's stuck unlocked, which is good since it's still OK to drive on pavement.

When I hit the differential lock button I get the flashing light indicating that it it didn't lock. Both shifting between low range and high range as well as locking/unlocking the center differential are both controlled from actuators (motors) that are in a sub-assembly that hangs off the back of the transfer case. There are also limit switches in the transfer case that provide feedback to the controller as to whether the shift actually happened. That's how the controller knows to display the flashing light.

The problem could be any of the following:
    -Failure in the controller
    -Failure in the wiring
    -Failure of the actuator motor

The dealer should be able to unplug the electrical connector to the transfer case and check the impedance of the actuator motor. If it's "open" then the motor is blown.

Checking continuity in the wires should be easy for the dealership as well.

Then there's the controller. On mine I verified that it wasn't the controller by probing the voltage of the motor terminals from the 4WD controller. That's located under the glove compartment.

In my case the problem appears to be that the motor is blown.

But that's unfortunate for me because the part is about $1100 and the transfer case has to be taken off and ripped apart to replace it, which is about $1000 in labor. So it's over $2000 for a little motor that failed!

But I can get an entire transfer case complete with the actuator assy for about $500 off my choice totaled 4Runner with ~15k miles (via the internet) so I might just get one and pay someone to swap it onto my 4Runner.

Your dealer sounds incompetent if they can't figure it out. But I'm pretty suspect of what you get for your money from most dealers now-a-days. From what you've told me my advice would be to take it somewhere else.

I hope you didn't get charged for anything though. Maybe that dealership has a better mechanic who could be more effective.
  • my blower on my 90 4 runner only works on the first 2 speeds. Is it the switch or the blower motor? If its the blower where is that located at?
  • Someone must have used some stop leak chemical in the runner before I bought it. I think we changed the thermostat, radiator, cap, and water pump, ouch, but still lousy heat. Flushing helps very little. What have I neglected, oh, checked the control on the firewall, seems to function OK, but the flow of coolant is terrible - just piddles out until I shut the engine off, then it gushes. If I must change the heater core, where can I get one without breaking the bank? And, can you swap it out without taking the whole dash apart?
  • I know this is 9 years later, but I sure hope you found a fix for your problem, We have a '94 4runner with the same problem, Can you please tell me what the magic fix was?
    Thank you
  • We are interested in purchasing a 2008 or 2009 4Runner, and want the V6 and 2wd. Most are therefore SR5 or Sport. Few have power seats. Is it possible to retrofit one with a power drivers seat? We have our eyes on a 2009 and that is the only drawback. Please reply if you know feasibility and, if so, how to go about it. Thanks. Mark
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,454
    A reporter is looking to speak with someone who bought a new Honda or Toyota within the last two months. Specifically, he’s most interested in speaking with someone who intentionally held off on buying one of these vehicles last year because the dealer did not have it in stock. If you meet this criteria, please send a brief description of your experience and your contact info to pr@edmunds.com by no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have a new 2012 Camry and I have the problem with the air conditioner
    stink. I have had it to the dealer three different times and Toyota says there is not a fix for this problem.
    $30,000 for an automobile that stinks? there has to be a fix for this problem they just don't want to fix it. did the lemon law work for you? I would like to try that also but the language in the florida lemon law is a little confusing to me.
    George Thornton
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,454
    Toyota is tweeting pics of the 2014 4Runner today.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• hgoldberghgoldberg Posts: 1
    I just bought my 6th 4 runner. I notice lately in the Toyota ads,4 runners are not included in the ads. How come?