Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    ...does anyone know of any other good car audio/video forums...

We don't promote other forums in the Town Hall. Try a Google search.

tidester, host
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    I found that the bar that holds the upper level of the two level cargo system can be easily removed. It works like a toilet paper roll holder. It can be removed by pushing in on one side and pulling in the spring loaded other side. (I don't remember this in the owner's manual.)
     Mine now lives in a closet.
     With the head rests removed, and the rear seats folded, and with the cargo holder rod removed, there is some real cargo space in the rear.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    I'd wager that is aftermarket leather put on by the dealer.

Go back to Toyota's web site and select Vehicles/SUV/4Runner. Now select Models and Prices, then hit the Interior tab. In the table, you will see that leather seats are standard on the Limited and not an option on SR5 nor SE.

There are aftermarket shops that put leather covers on seats and quite a few dealers will add aftermarket leather to vehicles.
  • You have to remove the headrests?
    My seats fold down with headrests on.
    My cargo cover also resides in the closet!
  • I recently bought a 2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited. I would like to know if anyone has solved the issue with the rear view mirrors being blurred. It seems to me at higher speeds it becomes even more of an issue. I will tell you gets real annoying. I am going to take it in but was wondering if anyone has discovered the fix. I have read on this board that Toyota says this seems to be a characteristic of the heated mirrors having the #8220;Rain Clearing Coating& #8221; (From The Factory) on the mirrors. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
  • my keyless entry battery was dead and i replaced the battery, now the remote won't work...and i dont know why... the battery models are the same and everything....i put back the old battery and it still doesnt work...does anyone have a solution?

maybe the remote signal is reseted when the battery is taken out and is operating at a different freq. than the car?...please help
  • Myself, I would AVOID any "finish protection package", and I would urge you to apply Zaino products yourself http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc at the earliest opportunity. If you opt for Zaino, I would also urge you to carefully read the info. and FAQ at Zaino's web site before ordering products and proceeding. It may at first seem inconvenient to shell-out some $$ for the white Fieldcrest (or Cannon) towels, but it's worth it in the long run. Otherwise, Zaino products are really very easy to use, and also quite enjoyable for those who like weekend projects. In my opinion, the most common error one can make with Zaino products is to not trust their directions on how SPARINGLY their products should be applied, and to then apply too much. Remember, a little goes a long way, and if you apply too much, you're just wasting it, and the excess on your truck's finish will take much longer to dry. At any rate, take your time, follow the directions, and above all, have fun and enjoy the results!
  • You must be thinking of flying. ;0)
    The parameters are outside temp, AVG. MPG, Mileage range, and AVG. MPH.

<Does the Toyota system give you an altitude and mph reading?>
  • Although I'm a flatlander, my older brother lives in the Blue Ridge Mtns., and I can tell you that ALTIMETERS (both analog and digital) are quite popular among those who live in, or occasionally travel to mountainous areas. (Highlander7's handle suggests that he might just live in such an area, don't you think?) These relatively inexpensive devices (when properly calibrated) give a good estimate of your elevation or altitude relative to sea level, and I do believe they basically work by measuring atmospheric pressure. So, smartypants, altimeters aren't just found in aircraft, they're also used in other applications (including driving, hiking, bicycling, and camping, to name a few) and Highlander7's question is perfectly reasonable in my opinion. Indeed, it would be pretty nifty if the 4Runner's digital information center contained a digital altimeter, as well as if it would then also include that same altitude data into the GPS Nav. display, since SUVs are (as you obviously know) popular among many avid outdoor enthusiasts.
    So, smartypants, altimeters aren't just found in aircraft, they're also used in other applications...

Yes, but you weren't discussing altimeters. You were asking about altitude which is most commonly used as an aviation term as opposed to elevation which relates to terrain! :-)

And, yes, a lot of people use altimeters to measure elevation!

tidester, host
  • Tidester:

*I* wasn't ASKING about altimeters; rather, I was DISCUSSING and describing them. Highlander7 asked about altitude, not me. Furthermore, my exerpted comment reads as follows: "...These relatively inexpensive devices (when properly calibrated) give a good estimate of your elevation or altitude relative to sea level..." Note the word "ELEVATION" here. (I included the word "altitude" because these devices are called "altimeters" and not "elevometers".) So there, smartypants!
    LoL! You got me - I WAS just being a smarty pants!

tidester, host
  • Galileo757 and Kheintz1,

Thank you both for your responses, you have answered one of my questions. This is a great forum, you will get your answer and often share humor with all.

Altitude, Height, Depth, Elevation, Rise, Height above Sea Level, Height above the ground, Loftiness ... just need to use the right choice of words.

Both Garmin's Streetpilot III and eTrex Summit use the GPS 3D technology to give you an altitude reading. This would be a great option (elevation) for the folks that have the need for this. I have the type that uses barometric pressure, needs frequent calibration.
    And yes, I use this from the beach to the mountains. And in places like New Orleans and Death Valley you will get that DEPTH reading, below sea level.

INFO FROM GARMIN'S SITE:
    A GPS receiver must be locked on to the signal of at least three satellites to calculate a 2D position (latitude and longitude) and track movement. With four or more satellites in view, the receiver can determine the user's 3D position (latitude, longitude and altitude). Once the user's position has been determined, the GPS unit can calculate other information, such as speed, bearing, track, trip distance, distance to destination, sunrise and sunset time and more.

My other question. Has anyone seen or used the backup camera?

thanks....
  • I was trying to inject some humor into the answer, was not trying to be a smartypants. I have a backup camera in my 2003 4 runner, call it my 2nd seat passenger which will not work if its very cold or raining.
    Sincerely,
    Smartypants
  • Galileo,

I understand and really do appreciate your response, you answered my question. And thank you for the humor, it livens up the forum from time to time.

When I asked this question to the salesperson and then the manager at my local Toyota dealership they had no idea of what I was asking. They probably thought to themselves why would anyone want this feature.

Kheintz1,
    Your contributions to this forum are excellent. Appreciate the input that this would be worthwhile using the GPS technology. I'm sure some folks would like other values like barometric pressure, relative humidity, dew point and severe weather alerts to be displayed on the GPS monitor. Maybe the next generation of these devices will offer more options. Of course watching the (in motion) radar of an approaching severe thunderstorm would be one more distraction the driver does not need. But I would like it!!
  • I live in Western New York and ordered an 04 SE 4 Runner about a month ago. I was wondering if anyone else has placed an order for an 04 (any model) and received an ETA. I've noticed that some 04's are scattered throughout the country, but haven't heard of any in the NorthEast yet.
    Thanks
  • vodgutvodgut Posts: 162
    Not sure if Toyota is the same way, but on my Audi taking the battery out of the keyless entry caused it to reset, and the dealer had to reprogram the remote before it would work. So the dealer had to do the battery change. Kind of annoying and expensive. Toyota's remotes probably behave the same way. Maybe there's something in the owner's manual about it. I think to replace the batteries in my Audi remote and have it reprogrammed was $34.
  • Whats the best combo for a non show car like 4runner? Can you apply Z2 by itself and get good results? Or do you have to prep with ZFX first? Also whats the diiference between Z1,Z2,Z3 etc.?
  • If you broke a keyless remote or lost your remote and transponder keys or just want extras, check out these links:

For replacement keyless remotes:
    http://www.keylessride.com/

Pricing for 2003: SR5:
    2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport Utility 4D
    Remote and Programming

List Price: $54.00
    Dealership Price: $190.00*
    You Save: $136.00 (72% off!)

For replacement transponder keys:
    http://www.streetkeys.com/ or 1-866-BUY-KEYS

A search for 2003 SR5 yielded the following prices:

Description: Master Key for your 2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport Utility 4D
    Quantity: 1
    Unit Price: $39.99
    Total Price: $39.99

Please choose a service level for your key.

Premium Service
    I would like a local Street Keys Affiliate to cut and activate my keys at my residence, place of business or any other location of my choosing. I understand that an existing key is required as a template for cutting my key blank(s).

Key Total Price: $39.99
    Activation Service: $39.99
    House Call Service: $45.00
    Total Cost: $124.98

Basic Service

I would like a local Street Keys Affiliate to cut and activate my keys at the Affiliate&#146;s place of business. I understand that an existing key is required as a template for cutting my key blank(s).

Activation Service: $39.99
    House Call Service: $0.00
    Total Cost: $79.98

No Service - Keys Only
    I would NOT like to purchase the key cutting and activation services of a local Street Keys Affiliate. I understand that the key blank will not operate the vehicle until it is cut and activated.
    Activation Service: $0.00
    House Call Service: $0.00
    Total Cost: $39.99

• Go to www.zainobros.com. I think their website includes a explanation how/when to use each of their prodcuts.